Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

In defence of Tom P, we are farming similar soil to him and while it gets very hard in summer, you're dealing with a wet muddy clay in wet weather. It could be up to 20 feet deep of a blue mud with no subsoil.

The water table might be only a foot under foot at times. This is wjy he never put in a slatted tank. Roads are also next to impossible to maintain. The just keep sinking into the ground.

Plus I suspect he's getting stuff for half nothing in exchange for free advertising.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭fulldnod

To put up the shed he did and drives through shite is complete madness

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭leoch

Farmer Phils outfit is the same pricking about with electric fences surly posts strainers and wire is a much better job and time saving × 100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Suckler

Your right but like myself it’s a case of “what can I do now and I’ll do the permanent solution when I’ve time”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭jaymla627

It's should be a compulsory course in ag collage re been able to fence properly, was my number one goal here to have the entire farm fenced with high tensile wire and strainers/rachet tensioners etc, finally got the last bit tightened up this year some sense of satisfaction/peace of mind putting livestock into a field knowing they'll stay put 99% of the time bar a fence left off etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Nuts that they're still scraping out the cubicles with the tractor in a new shed like that. I guess he's hoping someone will give him a free robot at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭visatorro

Is the scraper tractor not a real English thing? The way the beef sheds are done aswell on a few places you'd see on YouTube. Bedded in the back and scraping out at the feed passage. Maybe straw is more plentiful but I can never understand the work that goes into it.

I made mistakes building here but I think he should have put in more units when he was at it. He seen the finish on the parlour walls in another parlour. Still mad money. In fairness he is after spending a lot of money to better the yard. Grasstec was doing something with him on paddocks. I'm not sure how I'd manage that ground and water everywhere tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Diarmuid B

grasstec mapped out the farm and that’s as far as that went. Remember he went to pre-mow for the cattle and cut enough for about 6 days🤣 that was the end of the smart paddock grazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It was thought to me when I did my stint. But I really think it’s in you to try be tidy or it’s not.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭farmerphil135

It was compulsory when I was there and I done the same when I came home high tensile and treated posts on the home block, enough drinkers to break every field into 2 acre paddocks.

the 1st farm I rented when I came back from college 50 acre farm similar circumstances to the new farm no fences and one drinker next the yard cattle could ramble anywhere. I spent 30k cleaning it up,trimming back hedges, cleaning drains, cleared 8 acres of whins and white thorns. High tensile fence round every field treated posts, ploughed in pipes and drinkers to paddock the farm, reseeded more than the half of it. Took 3 years to get it into shape had it humming feeding 50bulls, 50 calves 10acres of tillage and cutting 20 acres of silage off it over 2 cuts The lease ran out at 5 years and the landlady fell out with my father over a bloody horse the landlady wanted us to mind. Needless to say we didn’t get it again and I said never again would I spend more than the bare minimum on rented ground. It may not look pretty but it does the same job at a fraction of the cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭older by the day

It should be a compulsory course to teach old fellas that the wire should get a run of grazon 90. The odd time.

How many times have I helped lads fencing only to find a few years later bushes and briars have knocked the posts and wire. And the dumbass wondering why they had no shock

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Automatic scraper are a northern european thing. Not that common in the rest of the world especially in larger herds.they are generally seen as giving too much problems

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Not been smart, if you valued your own time you'd fence the place once, and just do it right, pricking around with mild steel wire and pencil stakes every year....

2 men with a stake driver, would pound the world of stakes in a day, re cost, go with cheap 4 inch softwood stakes, and strainers, if your worried about losing the lease on rented land, it's a pet hate of mine to be fair, the ole chap always thought along your lines, now he's seen the benefits of doing a fence once and doing it right he'd happily spend a week fencing

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Danny healy ray

has the farmer any law to get in this situation I for one wouldn't be going for the gate have spent a ball of hard earned money on a place she could pay me for my work done on the place or il continue to rent it for the four see able future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Tileman

Thats the law. U can’t stay as a tenant at the expiry of the contract just because u did it up. U know going into it and spending money what the rules of the game are. Obviously very hard to take especially in farmer Phil case but otherwise it would be complete carnage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

@farmerphil135 - you mentioned last year about a calf shed. Is there any work going on for it? I presume you are still of an age where you can get young farmer grants. Is there anything in TAMS which would work for you?

there is a thing called f off money its in all aspects of letting she wanted them out because they wouldn't mind her horse hardly under condition of the original contract

yea she wanted them to mind the horse as part of condition of renewing the lease not of the old one. Different thing. If u overstay ure lease u are no better than the scumbadlgs who don’t pay their rent for houses and landlords have to wait for years to get them out.

thanks for that so kind if she payed some way towards fencing that she has for her horse I would gladly go

• Advertisement

She is entitled to say no and close the gate on your way out.

She didn’t ask you in this hypothetical case to do fencing. You choose to do it. and at the end of the lease you are now asked to vacate it. Annoying but that’s just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Canosonic

I'd be lifting the stakes and rolling up the wire no matter what hardship it would be. She must've been some miserable ould git.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

Surely this is a good example of what was agreed. If one agreed to rent it as is then there you go. If it's fenced and reseeded or whatever then who will pay for this. Can it be put against rent. All goes back to what was agreed.

Trouble starts when valuing the fence or the pipe etc. etc.

In the heel of the hunt the landlady was entitled to do what she done the lease was up and it was never mentioned to renew it.

I was naive, wet behind the ear, fresh out of college with grand notions of how to farm efficiently. Everything was kosher with the lease some allowance was made on the rent to tidy the farm (tho not to the extent I went) and we thought we’d be set for a long time there as we put in a hellish effort to straighten out the farmers affairs for his sister after he went into a nursing home but I Spent too much to bring the farm into shape for the length of the lease and got burned. Learned my lesson spending more than the minimum is only benifiting them not you. Not our 1st rodeo with leased land and probably not our last. My uncle got caught where he leased land he’d been renting in grass to turn to tillage for 7 years. After 2 years we got a notice to reseed and vacate the landlord had got a dodgy solicitor to back date the lease 5 years and the following year a freshly reseeded farm hit the market nothing we could do about it.

the more I thought about the plan from last spring the more I got cold feet. The current thinking is to redo the hay shed/lean to into a purpose built calf shed extend its footprint and design it so there’s a viewing platform or area where visitors to the new farm shop can view the calves in the shed or out on the lawn We’re at the very early stages of designing as there’s 2 routes to go with the shed and we’ve to visit a few places to see what we think will work

😂no I’m classed as an old farmer now 1st five years you have to make use of the young farmers grants. All I got out of tams as a young farmer is a dribble bar tanker

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Is that not a contradiction there? Do it once and do it right....but buy cheap 4 " stakes and strainers? If you buy cheap stakes you are not doing it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

@farmerphil135 ye are doing a fantastic job on the 1200. I wasn't expecting to see a full nut and bolt restoration when it was pulled into the work shop. A lot of credit goes to Lee too, he is very handy with the spray gun. Really looking forward to seeing the final product, and seeing it ploughing in a video. I know space in the workshop is at a premium, but do ye have any plans to do something to the 2725 in the future? My mechanical knowledge is very limited, but I do enjoy videos of lads ripping at machines.

• Advertisement

Only for Lee i couldn’t see it getting done as quick. Trying to keep him in the shed to push hard to have it done before we get busy tilling.

we’re still waiting on the doors to be remade for the 2725 and we intend on doing a bit with it to dicky it up but probably not a nut and bolt as it looks pretty good original. Next project in the workshop will be decided by the viewers for the craic

Advertisement