Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭micar

ewc78 wrote: »
    Just back from my Sunday long run, about 95% of it in the cycle lanes.
    Passed by a massive group of cyclists probably about 15-20 all bunched together so not much social distancing there!
    All passed me without cycling over the top of me though which was nice. Some even said hello!
    Great morning for a bit of exercise.

I myself am back from a long walk with the 2 dogs. Brought them along the river and around some trails.

Had 6/7 guys running together coming towards me. Stopped with the dogs on the side out of the way until the passed me.........I said " hi guys" they said "hi" and "thanks" back.

6/7 guys running together....not much social distancing there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Yup there are loads out there that aren't really adhering to the social distancing rules.
    Hope you enjoyed your walk anyway,great morning for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You sound like great company to be with. Do you stereotype everyone who gets into a car with you?

...and yet some drivers still manage to hit them :confused:

Maybe double check what was included within that cost again!

Stereotyping- Yeah, pretty much into 2 groups, those that are likely to cause a problem, those that aren't

Parked Cars, Yeah and are these collisions mainly caused by not seeing the vehicle or by drink driving, using mobiles, not able to judge gaps, swerving to miss dogs, pedestrians, cyclists etc. or any other number of factors.

Costs I did it's for constructing a segregated cycleway as part of the S2S, something that would distance motorised traffic and cyclists from each other

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You sound like great company to be with. Do you stereotype everyone who gets into a car with you?

Nah, there's no way he'd do that would he? I mean look how upset when it gets flipped back in him.

He just makes some amount of stuff up. Can you imagine how sad you'd have to be to make such bets

No they actually seemed like a decent bunch of fellas and not stressed out maniacs. They all went around me and carried on about their business.

Cyclists, all a great bunch of lads

It's only the imaginary ones that exist in people's minds who obsess about them in threads like this .

• Advertisement

two things:
    firstly, if i got into a taxi and the driver wanted to play this game, i'd simply refuse.
    secondly, you seem obsessed with cycling and cyclists. you should give it a go, it can be great fun.

Firstly It's not an obligatory game or topic of conversation, and you would be quite within your rights not to partake, however as a cyclist I would think you should take more of an interest in how visible or not other cyclists are, but it's a free country.

Secondly I'm more obsessed with people throwing fake bits into threads like parked cars on pavements equating to 16 deaths, but sure if people want to drag topics and myself into different directions, then why not.

Cyclists seem obsessed with cars on footpaths which is somewhere the cyclist isn't normally supposed to be either, now I can understand the ire when directed to motors etc being parked in mandatory cyclelanes and the bemusement of cars parking on the S2S northside section shortly after it opened, but really!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Spook_ie wrote: »

Costs I did it's for constructing a segregated cycleway as part of the S2S, something that would distance motorised traffic and cyclists from each other
    The costs you quoted include;
    • drainage works,
    • watermain upgrades,
    • footpath and carriageway renewal, including the wide road in Fairview.
    • reconfigurations of existing signalised junctions,
    • new walking and cycling crossings,
    • CCTV infrastructure,
    • public lighting,
    • granite paving and kerbing,
    • retaining walls,
    • utility diversions,
    • landscaping,
    • new street furniture.

Firstly It's not an obligatory game or topic of conversation, and you would be quite within your rights not to partake, however as a cyclist I would think you should take more of an interest in how visible or not other cyclists are, but it's a free country.
    I would think that most cyclists take more of an interest in the real issues that cause death and injury on the roads, rather than imaginary issues.

Secondly I'm more obsessed with people throwing fake bits into threads

Self obsession so, explains a lot.

interesting that the budget just for R and L roads this year is double that.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/e42b0e-minister-ross-announces-525-million-for-regional-and-local-roads/

I wouldn't be reading too much into any government forecast in January 2020 maybe if he put it out now it might be interesting. But 2019 was budgeted and I assume spent.

• Advertisement

The motorway network alone has cost 12 - 16 billon to construct.

Mainly paid for by EU funding, but they did miss a trick when building them, they could probably ( no idea how much extra it would have cost for land etc. ) have put a 1 meter pathway on each side for cyclists, though I suspect there are some rules about how close a cycleway can be to a motorway to avoid you all inhaling fumes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd love to have used the new dedicated cycle lane in the park today but some dumbass jogger and another rollerblader decided they'd take that too along with the 2 footpaths for them.

It doesn't matter what infrastructure is put in place to facilitate cyclists in this country, as some bellend will park in it, run in it, drive in it or just do something that will necessitate for the intended users to take another course.

I don't agree with cycling on footpaths (and I don't) , but when any other road user can seemingly do what they want, what's left to do.

It's always way, way, way down on the scale of dangerous things happening, and though it's obnoxious, there are also far more obnoxious things happening

Cyclists seem obsessed with cars on footpaths which is somewhere the cyclist isn't normally supposed to be either, now I can understand the ire when directed to motors etc being parked in mandatory cyclelanes and the bemusement of cars parking on the S2S northside section shortly after it opened, but really!

This is because cars on footpaths is an absolute real issue, everyday and nearly everywhere yet there is rarely any disdain or disgust shown for it, yet every so often there some in nonsense thread like this started

No, no drugs at all - but what bit of 'black or navy environment' doesn't describe night time for you? It seems like a fairly obvious connection to me.

Why do you persist in removing the reference to burgandy backgrounds, you sure you're not on drugs?
    It's fascinating to see the difference between efforts that you go to in order to downplay the need for hi-vis for cars, including now the 'angle of parking' now, compared to your mad rush to make all cyclists look like builders. It's almost as if you're not as committed to the benefits of hi-vis for anyone other than cyclists, for some strange reason?

Reflective surfaces work better when in front of the light source, cyclist at night time would likely be more into the light source than the side of a vehicle with HI Viz stripes, do you really not understand how reflectors etc actually work. Maybe you should do some reading
    https://reflectivetape.info/how-does-retro-reflective-tape-work/
    No, no predator eyes, but I do have headlights which are handy for seeing people on the road. Do you not have these?
    Yes but they (a) Don't work as well as daylight and (b) work better when a pedestrian is wearing something light or preferably reflective.
    Yes, it is fascinating to see the difference in degree and nature of analysis of the needs of hi-vis, depending on the type of road user involved.

A side remark to someone else, no need for me to comment

The collection of five or six buses at the 16 terminus at Kingston in Ballinteer anytime I've passed would be pretty good evidence of this. I've seen buses waiting back as far as Lidl Rathfarnham. Before the lockdown, I never saw more than two buses waiting.

Interesting if true, perhaps they should check the timetables over to prevent it, I trust they aren't parked on the footpath?

You really shouldn't believe everything you read in the paper unquestioningly. It's easy to bump up the budget when you roll in a load of other works, including drainage works in particular in that particular case.
    https://irishcycle.com/2019/02/28/irish-times-criticised-for-e20m-cycle-path-article/

To build segregated cycleways as most cyclists would like costs money, if you want Orcas and red tarmac only then fine, save the money for the HSE

in hindsight it's kinda funny, but i was recently ridden at in a deliberately intimidating manner by a cyclist, for standing in a cycle lane. the strange thing about it was, i'd crossed the road to see if another cyclist was OK (turns out the reason he had his bike upside down on the path because he'd crashed, not because of a puncture as i'd first guessed, and was bleeding from several places).
    what made things even weirder again was that the cyclist who'd crashed knew the cyclist who had tried to intimidate me, and was now F'ing and blinding at me, and crashed cyclist was now trying to get him to calm down because i'd come over to help. so i left.

You sure it wasn't Andrew?

Can we got back to focusing on the important issue of obstructions on footpaths please?

Kingston - seems to be there every morning.
    515556.png
    Beaumont Avenue x 2 - area with lots of elderly residents;

515557.png
    515558.png

Barton Road East
    515559.png

Ballinteer Ave - usual white van replaced by a car
    515560.png

Spook_ie wrote:
    You sure it wasn't Andrew?

That was my first thought also!

I would think that most cyclists take more of an interest in the real issues that cause death and injury on the roads, rather than imaginary issues.

Err wouldn't drivers seeing/not seeing them have a massive effect on this?

How else was the skip lorry supposed to collect or deliver the skip...this thread is ridiculous :):)

Why do you persist in removing the reference to burgandy backgrounds, you sure you're not on drugs?
    I omitted burgandy because it is an 'or' relationship - black or navy or burgandy - so removing any one doesn't change the validity of the other two. Now back to the issue - isn't nightime a black or blue environment?
    Reflective surfaces work better when in front of the light source, cyclist at night time would likely be more into the light source than the side of a vehicle with HI Viz stripes, do you really not understand how reflectors etc actually work. Maybe you should do some reading
    https://reflectivetape.info/how-does-retro-reflective-tape-work/
    Who mentioned side? The reflective stripes would be on the boot as well. That would definitely improve the visibility of parked cars at night (that blue or black environment you mentioned earlier), right?
    Yes but they (a) Don't work as well as daylight and (b) work better when a pedestrian is wearing something light or preferably reflective.
    Are you saying that you have difficulty seeing pedestrians crossing the road in daylight?
    A side remark to someone else, no need for me to comment
    And yet, you did.
    Interesting if true, perhaps they should check the timetables over to prevent it, I trust they aren't parked on the footpath?
    It doesn't really make sense to change timetables for a temporary scenario. Yes, I did seem the parked on the footpath and bike lane outside Lidl Rathfarnham a couple of times, reducing the space available for social distancing.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    This is because cars on footpaths is an absolute real issue, everyday and nearly everywhere yet there is rarely any disdain or disgust shown for it, yet every so often there some in nonsense thread like this started

really

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057761511

motorists just don't all jump in on the thread defending them for any reason at all

How else was the skip lorry supposed to collect or deliver the skip...this thread is ridiculous :):)

If you need to take public space to do work, such as a pavement or part of the road, there is a legal requirement to request a road closure order, which would include details of the alternative arrangements to be made. In this case, they should have coned off a section of the road to be used as a footpath, with temporary ramps for wheelchair users, and possibly put in place a stop/go control, given that it is a fairly narrow road at the best of times.

That's how a skip lorry is supposed to collect or deliver a skip without endangering or inconveniencing other people.

Err wouldn't drivers seeing/not seeing them have a massive effect on this?

Err, yes, it would. That's why it's really important for the majority of drivers that use their phones while driving to put them away. That's what I meant when I mentioned 'the real issues'.

Weepsie wrote:
    I'd love to have used the new dedicated cycle lane in the park today but some dumbass jogger and another rollerblader decided they'd take that too along with the 2 footpaths for them.

What!!!...1 runner and 1 rollerblader took over the whole cycle lane the full length of Chesterfield Avenue on both sides!!??

Pretty sure if you wanted to use it you could have. Less of the dramatics ffs.

really

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057761511

motorists just don't all jump in on the thread defending them for any reason at all

Vast majority of them are related to car parks and how they inconvenience drivers parking.

What!!!...1 runner and 1 rollerblader took over the whole cycle lane the full length of Chesterfield Avenue on both sides!!??

Pretty sure if you wanted to use it you could have. Less of the dramatics ffs.

I was being dramatic on purpose though, much like the op and everyone who just on the cyclists are a menace bandwagon.

The point of the post was that they're not supposed to be there. Mandatory cycle lane, meaning it is not for them to be in. And that's the point. Any time so etching is point in place, something else comes along to use it it in a manner it's not intended for. Sometimes this has unintended benefits, but with cycle lanes it's generally the opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

You should have taken your cue from Andrew J. Gotti here and just cycled straight towards them. Pedestrians in Dublin are well used to jumping out of the way of aggressive cyclists.

Then you could come home to hijack a thread on boards to take a dump on motorists.
    Vast majority of them are related to car parks and how they inconvenience drivers parking.
    The photos ran the gamut of people parking badly on roads/streets and in parking areas and there was little commentary in accordance with the thread rules.

But yes, it is the motoring forum, so if motorists travel to car parks and see idiots having abandoned their cars in bad/illegal ways, then many of them are going to look at that from the perspective of a motorist ... shocking and awful, I know. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

This is very easily fixed by erecting a temporary footpath. Something that could be done in a matter of seconds or having a stop go system in place

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

SeanW wrote: »
    But yes, it is the motoring forum
    it's the 'commuting and transport' subforum of the 'motoring and transport' forum, so calling it 'the motoring forum' is a little shy of the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

it's the 'commuting and transport' subforum of the 'motoring and transport' forum, so calling it 'the motoring forum' is a little shy of the truth.
    The thread referenced was in the Motors forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement