Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

How can you possibly hold the opinion that many square metres of high vis on a parked car wouldn't work but less than 1 on a cyclist is essential

Because a parked car isn't moving and already has the major PPE ( lights, reflectors etc. ) built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Really, I think your stretching my post a little thin on the ground for credibility, there are cyclists that I don't see same as there are pedestrians that you don't see, you can't say that you see them all because you can't prove it, where as I'm quite happy to admit that I don't have 180 degree vision out of each eye.
    I see all the road users i need to see. Of course if I'm driving in Dublin I can't see a cyclist in New York but that's a rather strange point to be making and yet you seem to make this very point. You seem to suggest cyclist come up the inside of you in traffic, then use your mirrors. You seem to suggest cyclist at night can't be seen the use your headlights

Because a parked car isn't moving and already has the major PPE ( lights, reflectors etc. ) built in.

Lights are off and reflectors like bikes have? And sure what harm would additional ppe do?

We could stop building one new road. The would be enough for thousands of km of proper infrastructure. The EU and the ECB are now actually paying us to borrow too.

Cycling infrastructure is cheap. It doesn't have to be high quality initially DCC are doing an excellent job with wands and orcas and the moment. There are literally so many options.

So now you'd accept painted road surfaces and orcas instead of proper infrastructure like greenways and segregated cycle lanes, well I suppose we should be grateful for small economic mercies.

Cycling infrastructure is not cheap, how much infrastructure do you actually think you'd get for 8.5 million, that's what would be allowed if the same Dutch 3% of their road and transport budget
    According to official figures from 2015, “The Dutch government spends a total of 15 billion euros on traffic and transport” each year – meaning the cycling infrastructure expense is a bit more than 3% of the government transport and traffic budget.
    were taken pro-rata to Ireland's Transport budget for 2019

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/budget-2019-state-to-spend-286m-on-transport-and-infrastructure-1.3655992
    Budget 2019: State to spend €286m on transport and infrastructure
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/cost-of-2-7km-dublin-cycle-path-jumps-to-20m-1.3807307

The cost of installing a new 2.7km “Dutch style” cycle path from Fairview to Amiens Street in Dublin’s north inner city has almost tripled to €20 million, according to Dublin City Council documents.

Councillors in October 2017 approved plans for the segregated cycle route which will connect the city centre with the Dublin Bay cycle path that runs along the coast from Clontarf to Sutton.

Even without the astronomical underestimate for the 2.7Km you still wouldn't have had the budget for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Anyway getting back on topic. Was out and about today. Saw a family cycling, two parents and three kids. Crossed over the path and the pedestrian crossing near me. I'm not sure of both parent had helmets on - the kids definitely did. Bit they were travelling very slowly on the foot path. Looks like they might have been heading for the Phoenix park - the paths near me have been very busy with cyclists recently, particularly families like this, out and about on their bikes. Great to see.

• Advertisement

So now you'd accept painted road surfaces and orcas instead of proper infrastructure like greenways and segregated cycle lanes, well I suppose we should be grateful for small economic mercies.

Cycling infrastructure is not cheap, how much infrastructure do you actually think you'd get for 8.5 million, that's what would be allowed if the same Dutch 3% of their road and transport budget

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/budget-2019-state-to-spend-286m-on-transport-and-infrastructure-1.3655992

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/cost-of-2-7km-dublin-cycle-path-jumps-to-20m-1.3807307

Even without the astronomical underestimate for the 2.7Km you still wouldn't have had the budget for it.

You're anti cycling rambling is boring me now. Good night

I see all the road users i need to see. Of course if I'm driving in Dublin I can't see a cyclist in New York but that's a rather strange point to be making and yet you seem to make this very point. You seem to suggest cyclist come up the inside of you in traffic, then use your mirrors. You seem to suggest cyclist at night can't be seen the use your headlights

No you see all the road users that you see, this may or may not equate to enough of them to avoid most accidents.

I'm not suggesting anything of the kind about driving in Dublin and looking at cyclists in NY, what I am suggesting is that of all the posts where people say I nearly didn't see ...... that there are occasions when people genuinely didn't see. I'm quite prepared to be honest and admit I don't have super powers, seems that you think you do have super powers which I think you don't, just an inability to think straight, logically and truthfully

Lights are off and reflectors like bikes have? And sure what harm would additional ppe do?

Parked = still not moving, if a cyclist is not on his bike has anyone suggested they need extra PPE, Nah don't think so but maybe you read it elsewhere.

You're anti cycling rambling is boring me now. Good night

Putting figures to your dreams now is anti cycling, welcome to the real world of budgets and how you can't normally spend the budget twice without causing financial disaster.

Putting figures to your dreams now is anti cycling, welcome to the real world of budgets and how you can't normally spend the budget twice without causing financial disaster.

Billions on roads and you begrudge millons on cycling

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Anyway getting back on topic. Was out and about today. Saw a family cycling, two parents and three kids. Crossed over the path and the pedestrian crossing near me. I'm not sure of both parent had helmets on - the kids definitely did. Bit they were travelling very slowly on the foot path. Looks like they might have been heading for the Phoenix park - the paths near me have been very busy with cyclists recently, particularly families like this, out and about on their bikes. Great to see.

Who cares if they were on the path or wearing helmets Did they run any old dears over?, Did they have to shepard the kids off the footpath because of parked builders vans etc?, Did they have Hi Viz?, Did they nearly get killed by a speeding motorist on the crossing?, Did a motorist stop and blast them with piss for them being on the path?

No, fake news then, never happened!

I begrudge nothing I don't have any control over it, I just think your wish list is going to bankrupt an already ( well pretty much ) bankrupt country.

Anyway don't let me keep you up

I begrudge nothing I don't have any control over it, I just think your wish list is going to bankrupt an already ( well pretty much ) bankrupt country.

Anyway don't let me keep you up

The EU and EMF are literally paying us to borrow we are far from bankrupt and if it's bankruptcy we are facing how about motorist start paying for the externalised cost of motoring and we'll be canceling all road building and improvements too i assume?

Oh and the 2019 budget was 286 million not billion
    Budget 2019: State to spend €286m on transport and infrastructure

How much of that €286 million would you like to be taken away from Public Transport or whatever else it's earmarked for not that any of it is likely to be available after the CoVid bills are settled

The EU and EMF are literally paying us to borrow we are far from bankrupt and if it's bankruptcy we are facing how about motorist start paying for the externalised cost of motoring and we'll be canceling all road building and improvements too i assume?

https://www.thejournal.ie/paschal-donohoe-covid-19-5099473-May2020/
    The costs of borrowing are real': Finance Minister says €30 billion deficit will have to be balanced

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Who cares if they were on the path or wearing helmets Did they run any old dears over?, Did they have to shepard the kids off the footpath because of parked builders vans etc?, Did they have Hi Viz?, Did they nearly get killed by a speeding motorist on the crossing?, Did a motorist stop and blast them with piss for them being on the path?

No, fake news then, never happened!

Yeah it's a bit late for a multi quote reply. Mind if we leave it until morning? I'll have a chance to ckeck if this family mowed down some innocent bystanders with their recklessness. The local residents WhatsApp is usually good for gleaning this information.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ah, how do I know if there are any ones I never see at all, well I usually play a competition with any cyclists I get in the car by offering them a "small" discount if they spot more cyclists than I do, sometimes they win ( not often though! ) more often they are surprised by how many I see that they don't.
    You sound like great company to be with. Do you stereotype everyone who gets into a car with you?
    ...and yet some drivers still manage to hit them :confused:

Maybe double check what was included within that cost again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ah, how do I know if there are any ones I never see at all, well I usually play a competition with any cyclists I get in the car by offering them a "small" discount if they spot more cyclists than I do, sometimes they win ( not often though! ) more often they are surprised by how many I see that they don't.
    two things:
    firstly, if i got into a taxi and the driver wanted to play this game, i'd simply refuse.
    secondly, you seem obsessed with cycling and cyclists. you should give it a go, it can be great fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting that the budget just for R and L roads this year is double that.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/e42b0e-minister-ross-announces-525-million-for-regional-and-local-roads/

How much of that €286 million would you like to be taken away from Public Transport or whatever else it's earmarked for not that any of it is likely to be available after the CoVid bills are settled

The motorway network alone has cost 12 - 16 billon to construct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sorry perhaps you are taking some psychotropic drugs but
    does not describe a night time environment.

I was taught to drive outside of Ireland, parking at night time was more stringently enforced when i was in the UK, old habits die hard, and
    I don't tend to park on roads with a 50kph + limit at all if i can help it.

For the 99.999% of cars that don't I would query where that figure is coming from and ask which of these 99.999% of cars are at a significant cross angle to enable hi viz stripes to actually work?

No, no drugs at all - but what bit of 'black or navy environment' doesn't describe night time for you? It seems like a fairly obvious connection to me.

It's fascinating to see the difference between efforts that you go to in order to downplay the need for hi-vis for cars, including now the 'angle of parking' now, compared to your mad rush to make all cyclists look like builders. It's almost as if you're not as committed to the benefits of hi-vis for anyone other than cyclists, for some strange reason?
    At night times, outside of areas without street lights, yes, why do you have night time predators eyes instead of human eyes?
    No, no predator eyes, but I do have headlights which are handy for seeing people on the road. Do you not have these?
    How can you possibly hold the opinion that many square metres of high vis on a parked car wouldn't work but less than 1 on a cyclist is essential
    Yes, it is fascinating to see the difference in degree and nature of analysis of the needs of hi-vis, depending on the type of road user involved.
    You have some proof of this near doubling of the average bus speed in city centers

The collection of five or six buses at the 16 terminus at Kingston in Ballinteer anytime I've passed would be pretty good evidence of this. I've seen buses waiting back as far as Lidl Rathfarnham. Before the lockdown, I never saw more than two buses waiting.

You really shouldn't believe everything you read in the paper unquestioningly. It's easy to bump up the budget when you roll in a load of other works, including drainage works in particular in that particular case.
    https://irishcycle.com/2019/02/28/irish-times-criticised-for-e20m-cycle-path-article/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Just back from my Sunday long run, about 95% of it in the cycle lanes.
    Passed by a massive group of cyclists probably about 15-20 all bunched together so not much social distancing there!
    All passed me without cycling over the top of me though which was nice. Some even said hello!
    Great morning for a bit of exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

ewc78 wrote: »
    Passed by a massive group of cyclists probably about 15-20 all bunched together so not much social distancing there!
    All passed me without cycling over the top of me though which was nice. Some even said hello!
    I'm guessing you didn't encounter Andrew J. Gotti and his "you're getting out my way" attitude :P

I found a great box for you to keep your stories in.
    image.thumb.png.4f58dbdc8d4c164c24c758ddc13f504d.png
    Share details of that long route that is 95% in cycle lanes, would ya?

Anyway, back to the hi-vis topic, these army lads would really want to make their minds up.

515533.png
    515534.png

SeanW wrote: »
    I'm guessing you didn't encounter Andrew J. Gotti and his "you're getting out my way" attitude :P

No, but he did meet the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and other fictional characters.

And then he woke up.

a group that big would be very unusual even outside the strange times we're living in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

SeanW wrote:
    I'm guessing you didn't encounter Andrew J. Gotti and his "you're getting out my way" attitude

No they actually seemed like a decent bunch of fellas and not stressed out maniacs. They all went around me and carried on about their business.

in hindsight it's kinda funny, but i was recently ridden at in a deliberately intimidating manner by a cyclist, for standing in a cycle lane. the strange thing about it was, i'd crossed the road to see if another cyclist was OK (turns out the reason he had his bike upside down on the path because he'd crashed, not because of a puncture as i'd first guessed, and was bleeding from several places).
    what made things even weirder again was that the cyclist who'd crashed knew the cyclist who had tried to intimidate me, and was now F'ing and blinding at me, and crashed cyclist was now trying to get him to calm down because i'd come over to help. so i left.

anyway, point being; any cyclist worth their salt knows because of social distancing, you'll often find joggers in the cycle lane, and you just get on with life.

• Advertisement

Anyway, back on topic of obstructions on pavements, the lads at this site at Belfield on the N11 are using the path and cycle track as their private car/van park fairly permanently now, with four vehicles forcing this elderly lady out on the road. She wasn't wearing any hi-vis either, so she's lucky that she wasn't killed by a passing driver.

515536.png

515537.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement