Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Yeah but as a motorcyclist does he not have the right to his own opinion on using Hi Viz without the usual suspects trolling him, and thereafter trying to troll myself because I dared to mention that Day Glow actually works better on a bright day.

The issue is why certain motorists feel they have to post the same dogma in every cycling thread regardless of topic. Over and over again. Lights are more important, but it's all drowned out with this incessant chanting.

Imagine if someone complained about bad parking in every motoring thread regardless of subject. Then ranted on about it for 20 pages every thread.

@Andrew ( digging oil wells ) JRenko
    Did you ever go back and find out which post it was that you reckon I said Hi Viz on cars was a good idea, I'm still getting 503 errors

Probably there's so many posts and threads about hi viz it's broken the search engine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe it's actually found 503 search returns and given up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

beauf wrote: »
    The issue is why certain motorists feel they have to post the same dogma in every cycling thread regardless of topic. Over and over again. Lights are more important, but it's all drowned out with this incessant chanting.

Imagine if someone complained about bad parking in every motoring thread regardless of subject. Then ranted on about it for 20 pages every thread.

But the whole thread did turn into a cars do this cars do that cars on footpaths, cars in cycle lanes cars in everything whataboutery, so isn't the issue then more so certain cyclists posting the same dogma in every thread they get involved in?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113575974&postcount=6

Probably there's so many posts and threads about hi viz it's broken the search engine.

So there you go again, ignoring the fact that I posted something factual about day glow colors and cyclists try to ride over me like they're in some kind of peleton in the TdF and yet you wonder why cycling orientated threads go arseways

• Advertisement

A pair of typical unlikely and unhelpful contributions from cyclists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

good god, even a bit of light humour that's not even disagreeing with you, you're annoyed at.
    you have my heartfelt apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

good god, even a bit of light humour that's not even disagreeing with you, you're annoyed at.
    You're a "Cyclist" in his head, you dont get to use humour with your "betters".

Oh it was humour was it, funny my usual humour would at least attach a smiley to it, this cyclist humour wears a little thin after a while.

Oh it was humour was it, funny my usual humour would at least attach a smiley to it, this cyclist humour wears a little thin after a while.

It's a vicious cycle....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭micar

Rogerrabit wrote: »
    Hi cycling in footpaths is very dangerous for pedestrians especially now with this virus pandemic. Every day I witness these events cyclists on the footpaths spewing out germs as they cycle past pedestrians less than two feet from them. If any of these cyclists have the virus the pedestrians have no chance they will pick up the disease. Why do the police allow this carry on. They should be protecting the elderly instead of turning a blind eye to this outrageous carryon.

I'm sure you're thrilled that the weather has turned. It's cold, windy and rainy.

Less people walking, running and cycling spewing germs out in the open air.

God help us when a lot of shops reopen on Monday. All those people in enclosed spaces spewing germs

If any of these shoppers/employees have the virus the other shopoers/employees have no chance they will pick up the disease.

But in all honesty.....what is the likelihood? Very low but not as low as the spewing cyclists.

Sure, it's all "whataboutery" .

Have I used it right?

They did a study which, a pedestrian,a cyclist or driver inhales the most and least pollution in a urban environment. Most was the driver, least was the cyclist.

So there you go again, ignoring the fact that I posted something factual about day glow colors and cyclists try to ride over me like they're in some kind of peleton in the TdF and yet you wonder why cycling orientated threads go arseways

What you are doing is ignoring what is posted to just post the exact same dogma over and over.

But the whole thread did turn into a cars do this cars do that cars on footpaths, cars in cycle lanes cars in everything whataboutery, so isn't the issue then more so certain cyclists posting the same dogma in every thread they get involved in?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113575974&postcount=6

Certainly theres more than one person doing the exact same thing. It's like a really bad rom com.

I guess you can expect cycling threads to be saddled with lots of cranks trying to get their spoke in.

It's coming back 505 now....

... some people won't have seen that coming...

Are you referring to the Mayo tractor case here? Did you work out what the tractor driver was charged with yet?

I linked the legislation AND quoted it. They court case is public record, you can look it up yourself if your so incapable of following links

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

They did a study which, a pedestrian,a cyclist or driver inhales the most and least pollution in a urban environment. Most was the driver, least was the cyclist.

Oh! Somebody claimed something on the internet, it must be true! And why did they leave out pubilc transport users?

(Got a link for that study? Or is it like Andrew's studies, which turn out to be an advocate's blog reporting selective facts from a real study, out of context, omitting many of the relevant stats?)

Oh it was humour was it, funny my usual humour would at least attach a smiley to it
    we understand now; cyclists are like humour. you can't see cyclists unless they wear hi vis proclaiming their presence, and you can't see humour unless it is also announced to you.

:)

(hope i did that right)

I linked the legislation AND quoted it. They court case is public record, you can look it up yourself if your so incapable of following links
    as you can see above, the search function is broken. what was the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭FinnC

beauf wrote:
    What you are doing is ignoring what is posted to just post the exact same dogma over and over.

In fairness to him he ain't the only one.
    The poster he is going back and forth with the most is doing the exact same thing, it's getting boring now.
    The replies with the multiple quoted posts are beyond ridiculous at this stage. Is this a common thing on boards? I just keep scrolling past when I see one.

FinnC wrote: »
    The replies with the multiple quoted posts are beyond ridiculous at this stage. Is this a common thing on boards?
    it's not common, thankfully.

FinnC wrote: »
    In fairness to him he ain't the only one.
    The poster he is going back and forth with the most is doing the exact same thing, it's getting boring now.
    The replies with the multiple quoted posts are beyond ridiculous at this stage. Is this a common thing on boards? I just keep scrolling past when I see one.

Oh I agree. More than one.

Only common in these threads.

On boards you can often get interesting and informative counter opinions. But not in these threads it's all closed minds and ears. Housing threads are similar.

Oh! Somebody claimed something on the internet, it must be true! And why did they leave out pubilc transport users?

(Got a link for that study? Or is it like Andrew's studies, which turn out to be an advocate's blog reporting selective facts from a real study, out of context, omitting many of the relevant stats?)

I don't keep a list of links handy if everything I remember reading. This one isn't that study which was more about school kids in the UK urban schools but its similar.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/dec/13/cyclists-exposed-to-less-air-pollution-than-drivers-on-congested-routes-study

I look forward to reading any links to studies you care to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Even if these kids were walking, they’d have to walk on the road! Parking cars on the pavement is a much bigger issue than bikes on pavements!

https://twitter.com/alandub13/status/1269264706025533440?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭SeanW

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Even if these kids were walking, they’d have to walk on the road! Parking cars on the pavement is a much bigger issue than bikes on pavements!

https://twitter.com/alandub13/status/1269264706025533440?s=21
    Here's a crazy idea - maybe you should start a thread about motorists parking on the footpath?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

SeanW wrote: »
    Here's a crazy idea - maybe you should start a thread about motorists parking on the footpath?

Here's another crazy idea...You don't like what someone posts? don't comment on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hold on, isn't this how people make their arguments against cyclists though, stating they're law breakers, dangerous etc, when the actual facts of the matter bare out it's between 10-15 of drivers who are in fact law breakers, and that's only the ones caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The only thing that irritates me is people who seem to have an idea that they actually know me, like yourself.

You find that annoying? That's touching. Maybe you should stop pretending yourself that you know all cyclists and arguing they're a homogeneous group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,592 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Umm .. that's exactly what motorists do when the motorway is not tolled. If you're doing a long distance journey and you have the choice between old, general purpose single carriageways going through towns or a nice, toll-free motorway, you'd need to have a really good reason not to use the motorway.
    Some motorists do, and some don’t. Let’s take Leopardstown/Sandyford area to Tallaght/Knocklyon area – there are still a lot of motorists on the old non-motorway roads. Can cyclists expect these motorists to ‘show consideration’ and stick to the motorway leaving the local roads safer for cyclists instead?
    How could anyone misconstrue what you said? It seemed pretty clear.
    I know, it’s mad isn’t it – and yet you’ve done it twice today and yesterday, as have other posters, even though it was pretty clear what I said. I can only imagine it is their desperation to score points in the way of factual argument backed up by plenty of statistics. The only way you/they can score points is to twist what I said into something else and argue against the twisted version. I think it is called strawmanning.
    Whataboutery. Same thing.
    Except it’s not the same thing. It is a different thing. I didn’t justify cyclists cycling on footpaths.
    That is a lie. I don't despise anyone "just for cycling", I don't like hypocrites. In fact, I could live with lawbreaking cyclists, as a pedestrian you learn to "negotiate" with them an essential survival skill. Yes, on two occasions I was nearly killed or seriously hurt because of two-wheeled lawbreakers, but even that is a risk I can live with.
    What gets my goat is when those self-same lawbreakers bash motorists for "lawbreaking", demand extreme measures be applied to motorists, large scale speed limit reductions because "motorists bad, speed bad, lawbreaking bad". You're just one of many. I'll be more than happy to take a lecture on obeying laws from cyclists when they start.
    It really doesn’t smell like that, with your ‘law-breaking scum’ comment. It seems a bit deeper than that. But if that’s what it is, it’s a bit of a ‘cyclist, know your place’ approach. We don’t want cyclists getting above their station, or getting any notions about expecting to get home alive and unscathed to their families each night. They should keep tugging their forelocks to the nice motorists and be grateful every time they get passed without being murdered.

Funnily enough, I didn't say anything about speed limit reductions, just about enforcement of existing limits. But I guess when you have enjoyed the privilege of ignoring the law for ever, any suggestions of complying with the law can seem like a bit of an attack.

You should really turn your own logic back on motorists. I’ll be more than happy to take a lecture on obeying laws from motorists when they start not killing 2 or 3 people each week.

And the next time you're almost killed by a cyclist, you should rush to this hospital.
    515500.png
    I hear from posts on boards that they're mad busy dealing with cases of people who are almost killed by cyclists.
    I'm not going to defend motorists who drive drunk, text behind the wheel or take the piss with speed, but if you and your kind insist that people "speeding" past cows and one-off houses at 55kph or go a few kph over on a dual carriageway is the great plague of our time (while menacing pedestrians off the footpaths) I'm going to have a problem with that.

It's bull. You can put a 50kph speed sign in the middle of nowhere and then do a "survey" there and easily come up with such a figure. And I suspect that's exactly where this figure came from.
    You don’t need to ‘suspect’ anything about the figure. The research methodology is set out in the research report – all clear, open and transparent.
    That’s not how speed limits work. We don’t get to have opinions on their validity or otherwise. They are legal speed limits, and the vast majority of motorists break them, while going on to whinge about cyclists and red lights.
    Where did I defend this behaviour? I have no issue with a motorist who takes the piss being punished. Please show where I stated otherwise.
    You’ve gone to extensive efforts to defend and downplay speeding motorists. You’ve made a career of it. It’s your thing to defend those who break the law on speed limits, while making false allegations that I justified cyclists who cycle on the pavement.
    1. I suspect there are motorists than cyclists at this junction. What are the proportions of RLJ'ing motorists to total motorists? RLJ'ing cyclists to total cyclists?
    2. Most red light jumping by motorists is "amber gambling" or people who dart though on the first few seconds of the red cycle. I know this because I saw it every day a daily pedestrian in Dublin. The only motorists I've seen disregarding red lights they arrived at are taxi drivers.
    You are undoubtedly right about the there being more motorists than cyclists at this junction. But so what? What’s the relevance of the proportions of RLJing motorists? This isn’t some kind of purity pi$$ing contest to see who gets the gold star? This is about risk and danger on the road. The stat shows that the vast majority of red light jumping is by motorists. In case you haven’t noticed, the risk arising from red light jumping from a 1-3 tonne vehicle is a bit more significant from the risk arising from a 10-20kg bike.
    And can I take you never see this kind of very late red light jumping?
    https://twitter.com/AlanDub13/status/1268603780548964354
    "Motorists kill people" is your loaded term for road fatalities. By your terminology, the two relatives I referred to earlier are incidents of "motorists killing people" even though both cases were single vehicle collisions.
    Does it really matter whether it is single vehicle or otherwise? It is still motorists killing people, themselves or others.
    And no, it's not possible to have zero fatal incidents. All that can be done is minimise them, and Ireland is doing well there.

Even the best driver will make mistakes, because humans are imperfect and will make a genuine mistake from time to time. Road profile can contribute to an accident. Some people will use their vehicles to commit suicide, concluding that crashing into a tree at 100MPH will solve all their problems. Even the best driver can encounter something serious and unexpected. Even the best driver in the best maintained car can encounter a freak loss of control (I know because it happened to me once). And all sorts of interactions between lots of different road users can contribute something even if everyone involved is doing their best.
    No-one said it is possible to have zero fatal incidents, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t target some serious improvement. Imagine if we got from >150 to 100 each year, or maybe even 50 each year. Is that not worth the mild inconvenience of having to actually stick to speed limits?
    Yes, everyone can make mistakes, which is why we need to build margin for error into our driving, not be driving at the absolute limit of ability so that those mistakes have fatal consequences. And yes, suicide is very serious problem, so maybe we need to provide proper mental health supports, or maybe we need to take the keys away from suicidal people, to avoid situations like this;
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/elber-twomey-i-forgive-the-man-who-killed-my-family-285482.html
    You’ve put out a lot of theoretical situations there, but you still haven’t identified any specific unavoidable deaths. Surely if the majority of current deaths are avoidable, you’ll have no difficulties in pointing out a few examples of these?
    I'm suggesting that a lot of avoidable accidents collisions are in fact being avoided. Motorways handle lots of safe, fast, long distance traffic. We don't drive home from the pub after a bender like our ancestors did back in the day. It's not stopping vehicular suicides, some muppetry and some bad luck.
    Basic logic suggests that when you avoid the avoidable, you are increasingly left with the unavoidable. And to a large extent, that's what Ireland is doing. That's why today's Irish road safety statistics compare well with both Irish history and international context. It suggests that we as a people are doing something right.
    Basic logic doesn’t get you anywhere near your suggestion that 150+ road deaths each year are largely unavoidable. Some examples of specific, recent, avoidable road deaths would be a good start for you.
    Yeah but as a motorcyclist does he not have the right to his own opinion on using Hi Viz without the usual suspects trolling him, and thereafter trying to troll myself because I dared to mention that Day Glow actually works better on a bright day.
    But not on cars, apparently.
    @Andrew ( digging oil wells ) JRenko
    Did you ever go back and find out which post it was that you reckon I said Hi Viz on cars was a good idea, I'm still getting 503 errors
    Normally, I charge €50 per hour to do research for people, but I’ll do a ‘first hour free’ special for you. Here’s the post where you agreed that hi-vis on cars would help visibility in dark environments.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113644399&postcount=463
    The utter bustards. There’s you, trying to pretend that you’re interested in road safety while taking a sly kick and cyclists, and they keep coming out and pointing out factual truths that expose the fact that you’re really not that interested in safety at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement