Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

micar wrote: »
    Same as bird sh1te....criminal damage and vandalism ?

When someone draws a big dick or writes "wash me" on a dirty car.......criminal damage and vandalism?

Have you never seen the scratch marks left behind on body panels when people do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Doesn't need to be permanent to be considered as grafitti and there fore according to Garda.ie constituting criminal damage

Ok, what if I add a sheet of newspaper? Then take a dump on that and leave it on the bonnet?

kenmm wrote: »
    Ok, what if I add a sheet of newspaper? Then take a dump on that and leave it on the bonnet?

Ah, You're just a weirdo, does you mum know you're posting on this interweb thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Ah, You're just a weirdo, does you mum know you're posting on this interweb thing?

Still has a long way to go to match this thread for ridiculousness!

I think my subconscious is reaching out to try and get it closed, but equally I can't stop watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭micar

Have you never seen the scratch marks left behind on body panels when people do that?

Never

So it needs to leave a permanent marking for you to consider to be vandalism or criminal

But you consider a marker or lipstick is which can be removed differently

Ok then !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

This tweet hits the nail on the head! We may have very safe drivers, but our roads are safer because less people walk or cycle on our roads...

https://twitter.com/citizenw0lf/status/1298686430873563136?s=21

Never

So it needs to leave a permanent marking for you to consider to be vandalism or criminal

Ok then !!!

Jeez you do like to jump further than I've typed, where did I say it needs to be permanent?

Graffiti is graffiti, graffiti is criminal damage, some graffiti may permanently damage a surface and require much more expense to remove and repair, other graffiti might be easier to clean off.

Never

Ok then !!!

I take it you've never had a detailing done on your car, perhaps you'd like to ask in this forum what the likely result of them catching you writing in the dust etc. on their cars would be.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1602

Also
    Children or annoying passers-by love to write “Clean Me” onto a dirty car. Little do they know however, that their fingertip graffiti can cause lasting damage to a vehicle’s paintwork. How? Fingerprints grind dirt and debris into the paint, leaving a lasting blemish that can be very difficult to remove.

https://www.holtsauto.com/simoniz/news/10-ways-ruin-cars-paintwork-without-knowing/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

07Lapierre wrote: »
    This tweet hits the nail on the head! We may have very safe drivers, but our roads are safer because less people walk or cycle on our roads...

Difficult to tell much from a 3 second video taken with a fisheye lens. And it sounds like it has been edited in some way, as one of the people talking has a chipmunk voice. Even if it does show one driver being a dickhead, that's all it shows. One driver. As to Citizen Wolf's conclusions they are utter nonsense in every respect.
    1. We know why road fatalities have fallen dramatically despite the rise in population and car usage. Our culture no longer turns a blind eye to drink-driving. "One for the road" has been replaced with "sparking water for me, I'm the designated driver". We've built motorways and 2+2 dual carriageways that are safer than multi-purpose single carriageways, because they are designed to safely accommodate a lot of fast, through traffic separate from any local usage. Crash-worthiness standards on cars have been improved. We have the NCT system. The driver licensing system sort of works, sometimes, which it didn't work ever in the 20th century.
    2. I don't know where Citizen Wolf walks/drives but where I am, there have never been more pedestrians and cyclists about. Personally, I walk regularly on country roads for exercise and feel perfectly safe - a bit of cop-on, proper observation and you're grand.

Of course, it's a lot better if you have footpaths, then you don't have to worry about motorists at all because you're on the footpath and you only have to deal with them when crossing or at junctions, and at that point all you need the motorist to do is obey traffic controls. Which they usually do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

finally, someone has posted a link which is in no way biased, on this thread.

car manufacturers have clearly yet to manufacture cars which cannot be damaged by merely being touched by children.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

SeanW wrote: »
    one of the people talking has a chipmunk voice.
    that is a child. you know, small people who haven't been around long?

finally, someone has posted a link which is in no way biased, on this thread.

car manufacturers have clearly yet to manufacture cars which cannot be damaged by merely being touched by children.

Would you allow some one to write on your car with a piece of used fine sandpaper? That's what dragging your fingers along a dusty paint panel is doing.

Would you allow some one to write on your car with a piece of used fine sandpaper? That's what dragging your fingers along a dusty paint panel is doing.
    if you choose to purchase such a delicate and expensive piece of personal property, which can be so easily damaged, i suggest keeping it at home all the time. the cost to your wallet in fuel simply driving it to where you've chosen to park it, and wear and tear on the vehicle itself, *vastly* outweighs the damage to the car from some kid running their fingers on it.

for the record, i was using 1200 grit sandpaper only an hour ago. i have a collection of sandpaper 99% of the population would consider excessive.
    your comparison gave me a chuckle. thank you.

if you choose to purchase such a delicate and expensive piece of personal property, which can be so easily damaged, i suggest keeping it at home all the time. the cost to your wallet in fuel simply driving it to where you've chosen to park it, and wear and tear on the vehicle itself, *vastly* outweighs the damage to the car from some kid running their fingers on it.

for the record, i was using 1200 grit sandpaper only an hour ago. i have a collection of sandpaper 99% of the population would consider excessive.
    your comparison gave me a chuckle. thank you.

Sadly your comment just shows me how pathetic and small minded the cycling community can get.

I am not the cycling community.
    and i state the above as a motorist, not a cyclist. my views on car paint being assaulted by children are informed not by my cycling activities, but my motoring activities.
    my most passionately held view on car paint is that it was a crying shame i sold my beige car and got a black one instead. the beige one could go for months between washes before it looked dirty. it's weeks at most for the black one.

pathetic and small minded

Apt coming from you

• Registered Users Posts: 25,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's hard to tell what speed he is going and in fairness you should slow down for a child I do it on my bike when passing kids. But other than that your man in the car gives them as much room as he can and also seeing as there's 2 adults would the jogger not be better off in front of the kid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I know the kind of idiots in this clip very well. I unfortunately meet them quite often when out on bike with MrsD and kids on a particular local country road that's even narrower than that one.

They're the sort of idiots that don't want to slow down for a couple of seconds in order to pass unprotected people safely and thereby force me to play chicken with them in order to protect my family.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It's hard to tell what speed he is going and in fairness you should slow down for a child I do it on my bike when passing kids. But other than that your man in the car gives them as much room as he can and also seeing as there's 2 adults would the jogger not be better off in front of the kid

He could have just stopped altogether.

I take it you've never had a detailing done on your car, perhaps you'd like to ask in this forum what the likely result of them catching you writing in the dust etc. on their cars would be.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1602

Also

https://www.holtsauto.com/simoniz/news/10-ways-ruin-cars-paintwork-without-knowing/

One could reasonably argue that someone that leaves their car accumulate so much gunk that kids can write stuff in said gunk is not particularly particular about maintaining the pristine quality of their paintwork.

If it's that dirty the action of the wind digging the dirt into the paintwork every time the car is driven is probably going to deteriorate the paint condition much more than a couple of kids writing "clean me"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

All too common, the "get of my way" attitude we see on rural roads. Driving over the summer I saw this quite a lot - dunmore East one sunny day, parents with kids heading to the beach and waving cars to slow down to no avail. Cars just blasted by regardless. Saw it another day while cycling in county meath - lady in a pram with a child. She had to push the pram right into the edge. Driver didn't give her and inch. Had it myself on a spin a few weeks ago on a narrow road similar to the one in the clip - SUV driver just blasts down the road as if we weren't there. Passed within inches. Pleading to slow down ignored.

And lastly up around Donegal- driving back from malin and the traffic coming against me was buzzing by what looked like a father and his young lad. They look quite distressed as they were hemmed in by fast close passing traffic. No one have them an inch.

Some drivers have really done a good job of intimidating people off the roads with their ignorant and reckless driving.

Duckjob wrote: »
    One could reasonably argue that someone that leaves their car accumulate so much gunk that kids can write stuff in said gunk is not particularly particular about maintaining the pristine quality of their paintwork.

If it's that dirty the action of the wind digging the dirt into the paintwork every time the car is driven is probably going to deteriotate the paint condition much more than a couple of kids writing "clean me"

One could, however, one could also argue that one action is by the owner and is in the case of wind (as in insurance) an act of God or the other by some little ( maybe not so little in the case of the photograph ) scrotebag that their parents didn't teach to respect other people's property.

One could, however, one could also argue that one action is by the owner and is in the case of wind (as in insurance) an act of God or the other by some little ( maybe not so little in the case of the photograph ) scrotebag that their parents didn't teach to respect other people's property.

Some people just argue/disagree over the most petty issues.

SeanW wrote: »
    Difficult to tell much from a 3 second video taken with a fisheye lens. And it sounds like it has been edited in some way, as one of the people talking has a chipmunk voice. Even if it does show one driver being a dickhead, that's all it shows. One driver. As to Citizen Wolf's conclusions they are utter nonsense in every respect.
    1. We know why road fatalities have fallen dramatically despite the rise in population and car usage. Our culture no longer turns a blind eye to drink-driving. "One for the road" has been replaced with "sparking water for me, I'm the designated driver". We've built motorways and 2+2 dual carriageways that are safer than multi-purpose single carriageways, because they are designed to safely accommodate a lot of fast, through traffic separate from any local usage. Crash-worthiness standards on cars have been improved. We have the NCT system. The driver licensing system sort of works, sometimes, which it didn't work ever in the 20th century.
    2. I don't know where Citizen Wolf walks/drives but where I am, there have never been more pedestrians and cyclists about. Personally, I walk regularly on country roads for exercise and feel perfectly safe - a bit of cop-on, proper observation and you're grand.

Of course, it's a lot better if you have footpaths, then you don't have to worry about motorists at all because you're on the footpath and you only have to deal with them when crossing or at junctions, and at that point all you need the motorist to do is obey traffic controls. Which they usually do.

Its not difficult. its quite clear to any "Reasonable" person.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,708 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Among the best drivers in the world apparently, with no need for any further regulation.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1298891170148503552?s=19

And this puts the speed into context.

https://twitter.com/brianymoran/status/1298893271515770880?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Its not difficult. its quite clear to any "Reasonable" person.

True. If you can't see what's wrong with the clip, well hey

Personally I'd reserve the "scrotebag" moniker for behaviors a tad more extreme than kids using their finger to write in the mank of a manky car/van, but hey, each to his own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I work in that area and would walk those streets every day, and never noticed this problem. You must have a target on your back.

So I was in work yesterday and was out at lunchtime. Walking the length of Stephen's Green from Baggot Street to the shopping centre, I counted 3 cyclists on the footpath by the Green, and one on the median footpath between the Luas tracks and the road. I counted two more on the way back. So, an average of roughly 1 a minute.

Is that a problem on a sunny lunchtime during a period when the government have said "if you can, work from home", and that footpath is almost deserted? Frankly, no. It's grand. I wasn't getting out of their way, but none of them were total muppets with their head in their phone, so they avoided me completely.

But - would it be a problem at rush hour on a dark winter's evening, in the rain, when most of us aren't working from home - and therefore there would be more cyclists too? Damn straight it would be.

Oh, and I also saw a couple of muppets cycling the wrong way down the one-way parts of the green and Baggot Street, but Darwin - and 2.985 tonne murder death machines - will take care of them.

breezy1985 wrote: »

Kids can be unpredictable, so its always better to have kids in front so adults can keep an eye on them. IMO the driver should have stopped completely and only moved off once all adults/kids had passed.

• Advertisement

Some people just argue/disagree over the most petty issues.

Well in my mind you either respect the rule of law and common decency and respect for others property or you don't and if that means arguing/disagreeing with people on here, then so be it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement