Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yeah, two or three of us have been slagging you for weeks now cos of something you didn't say.

And no, I'm still not looking it up for you.

It really doesn't matter how many of you have been slagging or how long you've been slagging for.

If you can't show where I said what you're claiming I said, then I didn't say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

again, motorists are very, very, very dim if they don't cop the cycle lane there.

motorists park over the cycle lane there because they can and don't care; not because they don't realise they're parking on a cycle lane. to suggest otherwise is laughable.
    DoraDelite wrote: »
    Seriously, hand back your licence, if you are not observing any of the markings that have been repeatedly pointed out to you in multiple posts then you really should not be driving.

Whether I know or not is NOT the point, the point is that if someone from the 2,641,590 (2013 CSO Figure, likely higher now and doesn't include EU or EEC licenses ) people in Ireland who held an Irish driving license came to Clontarf on their first trip, would they know that there was a cycle lane there, the answer is NO, because it isn't signposted as a cycle lane. That's the be all and end all of it and if you can't see the validity of that argument then it's not me who is blind or dim.

micar wrote: »
    Let's keep it to a car.. . Can't park a house like a tw@t.

Be man enough and think ........I should not have parked there, a bit d1ckish and point taken.......then wipe/rub it off and move on

No need to go all CSI to find out what the marker was made of and who could possiblely have done it.

You be man enough about it instead, what is it on the car then? Vandalism, Graffiti, Criminal Damage or what, you put a name to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭SeanW

Could you point to any actual examples of where some here employed literally that standard please?
    This entire thread has been you repeating the mantra (general paraphrase here) "cyclists don't kill people, motorists do." "Motorists kill 2 or 3 people every week".

This. entire. thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

It really doesn't matter how many of you have been slagging or how long you've been slagging for.

If you can't show where I said what you're claiming I said, then I didn't say it.

It's right there in writing. Still not giving you a link, though.

• Advertisement

It's right there in writing. Still not giving you a link, though.
    Except that it's not.
    SeanW wrote: »
    This entire thread has been you repeating the mantra (general paraphrase here) "cyclists don't kill people, motorists do." "Motorists kill 2 or 3 people every week".

This. entire. thread.

I have indeed said that, or something very similar to that. I don't think I said 'cyclists don't kill people', because I know that they do - very, very rarely - once each decade going by the past twenty years.

But that's not what we're discussing here. What we're discussion here is your claim that I said:
    literally the standard being employed by some here "if you don't die or nobody dies, you have no reason to complain.""

• Registered Users Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭SeanW

Literally this entire thread has been you deflecting from the appalling behaviour of Irish cyclists - who regularly hit and menace pedestrians - with words to the effect of "but, but, but, whatabout motorists" "motorist kill people"

The standard is thus that if lawbreakers don't kill, the laws regulating them shouldn't be enforced lest such enforcement get in the way of your crusade against motorists. So pedestrians who regularly have to jump out of the way of lawbreaking cyclists, pedestrians who who are regularly hit by lawbreaking cyclists, drivers who find their cars vandalised by lawbreaking cyclists, can go suck it up.

The standard is thus that if lawbreakers don't kill, the laws regulating them shouldn't be enforced lest such enforcement get in the way of your crusade against motorists. So pedestrians who regularly have to jump out of the way of lawbreaking cyclists, pedestrians who who are regularly hit by lawbreaking cyclists, drivers who find their cars vandalised by lawbreaking cyclists, can go suck it up.

Can you please point to any specific posts where I said any of these things?

These seem to be your twisted conclusions, rather than anything I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭micar

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Whether I know or not is NOT the point, the point is that if someone from the 2,641,590 (2013 CSO Figure, likely higher now and doesn't include EU or EEC licenses ) people in Ireland who held an Irish driving license came to Clontarf on their first trip, would they know that there was a cycle lane there, the answer is NO, because it isn't signposted as a cycle lane. That's the be all and end all of it and if you can't see the validity of that argument then it's not me who is blind or dim.

You would if you look left and right and see cycle lanes either side of you.

Perhaps the penny might drop if you see a cyclist coming from the left or right towards you.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

It's quite clear from the markings that you repeatedly keep ignoring that it is a cycle path. Do you ignore all road markings as you drive about and expect everything to be signposted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Literally this entire thread has been you deflecting from the appalling behaviour of Irish cyclists - who regularly hit and menace pedestrians - with words to the effect of "but, but, but, whatabout motorists" "motorist kill people"

Have you got anything to back this up?

I walk around Dublin city centre frequently. I see people mount footpaths on bicycles for whatever reasons frequently enough but I have yet to be hit by a cyclist, have a close encounter with a cyclist or be "menaced" by a cyclist. Now I'm sure that just because I haven't experienced this behaviour doesn't mean it doesn't happen but I'm sure it's infrequent and would take a hugely disproportionate amount of Garda time to find and address. Whereas there is plenty of other **** going on around the city on a very regular basis that needs addressing. Not to mention that walking around the city is generally a miserable experience due to the way the city's footpaths and streets are designed more than anything else.

As a taxpayer, I have zero interest in seeing Garda money and resources being diverted to satisfy a handful of the "tut tut" brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

A couple of times I have had some stubborn fu(ker on a bike on the pavement coming at me. I am also stubborn so tend to keep walking to force them to slow or get off. But its rare. There are far worse things on the roads and public spaces that need (by all vehicle types).

You would if you look left and right and see cycle lanes either side of you.

Perhaps the penny might drop if you see a cyclist coming from the left or right towards you.

No because cyclists often cycle on footpaths and grass tracks or. where ever they can pedal, Sean O'Casey bridge would seem to be an excellent example of cyclist presence not equating to a cycle lane.

It's quite clear from the markings that you repeatedly keep ignoring that it is a cycle path. Do you ignore all road markings as you drive about and expect everything to be signposted?

There are NO markings there, you reckon I should hand my license in, I reckon you need a visit to Specsavers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

There are NO markings there, ...

In other news, What was heretofore know as "Black" is to be redefined to be called "White"

No because cyclists often cycle on footpaths and grass tracks or. where ever they can pedal, Sean O'Casey bridge would seem to be an excellent example of cyclist presence not equating to a cycle lane.

None of that is relevant here.

the appalling behaviour of Irish cyclists - who regularly hit and menace pedestrians -

So pedestrians who regularly have to jump out of the way of lawbreaking cyclists, pedestrians who who are regularly hit by lawbreaking cyclists, drivers who find their cars vandalised by lawbreaking cyclists, can go suck it up.

WOW ........ WOW

That's some amount of bullsh1Te there

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

There are NO markings there, you reckon I should hand my license in, I reckon you need a visit to Specsavers

Just turning left into the baths, not a single clue visible....couldn't possible tell it's a bike path...https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3603241,-6.2044774,3a,75y,224.56h,81.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJwUoc9DcZZDHRU3mL47EvQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

it's not me that needs to hit Specsavers, you do also know that you are supposed to turn your head from left to right from time to time to observe all road markings, visual clues, signs, other vehicles, bikes, pedestrians, dogs, sheep etc?

Here's the right turn view: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3603088,-6.204889,3a,75y,95.23h,89.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syxtkQdmEoHaKn6-9Btzs9g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Scary that there are people on the roads in charge of motorised vehicles that have such poor observational skills.

Just turning left into the baths, not a single clue visible....couldn't possible tell it's a bike path...https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3603241,-6.2044774,3a,75y,224.56h,81.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJwUoc9DcZZDHRU3mL47EvQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

it's not me that needs to hit Specsavers, you do also know that you are supposed to turn your head from left to right from time to time to observe all road markings, visual clues, signs, other vehicles, bikes, pedestrians, dogs, sheep etc?

Here's the right turn view: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3603088,-6.204889,3a,75y,95.23h,89.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syxtkQdmEoHaKn6-9Btzs9g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Scary that there are people on the roads in charge of motorised vehicles that have such poor observational skills.

I suggest you cease using roads and cycle tracks immediately, as you seem to have a total mental blockage when looking at roads/cycle tracks and their requisite markings.

Maybe start with Chapter 7 Section 8

https://www.trafficsigns.ie/current-traffic-signs-manual

None of that is relevant here.

Very relevant in the fact that you said cyclists to the right or left should give people a clue, your exact wording was

People often see cyclists from the left or right on SO'Casey bridge, it doesn't mean there's a cycle lane there, shared or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ah jaysus are we still on about Sean O'Casey bridge?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,148 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If someone gets clamped, the ticket is put into a pouch and stuck onto the drivers window.

The glue is a b1tch to get off.

Would you consider that criminal damage.
    i was talking to someone in the council about this. unsurprisingly they do get people whose cars have been clamped, who complain that the sticker amounts to criminal damage.

apparently a response 'i can leave a note here so that next time you are caught, you are not to be ticketed, but we will have to tow your car instead' often resolves the issue.

i was talking to someone in the council about this. unsurprisingly they do get people whose cars have been clamped, who complain that the sticker amounts to criminal damage.

apparently a response 'i can leave a note here so that next time you are caught, you are not to be ticketed, but we will have to tow your car instead' often resolves the issue.

From Boards archives just out of interest

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70792757&postcount=1
    They had removed the clamp, but had left the stickers.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72012336&postcount=32
    In response to your letter regarding the appeal relating to the above serial number, we are pleased to inform you that your appeal has been successful.

Please note that we have refunded your Laser card with the amount of €125.

I think you'll find that any actions from other people that render your property to less than the condition in which you left it are "probably" against some law or other.

From Boards archives just out of interest

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70792757&postcount=1

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72012336&postcount=32

I think you'll find that any actions from other people that render your property to less than the condition in which you left it are "probably" against some law or other.

Didn't I say earlier that the glue was a b1tch to remove and you called nonsense on my post

As the poster wrote in 2011

I am just picking a fight and being an ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

So no permanent marking on the car then?

What about something a little more erm "Organic" on the bonnet?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

For it to be considered criminal damage, the damage must be done without lawful excuse. I’d imagine the council or agent on their behalf have a lawful excuse.

Didn't I say earlier that the glue was a b1tch to remove and you called nonsense on my post

As the poster wrote in 2011

I am just picking a fight and being an ass!

Your post in it's entirety
    Quick search on Google......hand sanitizer will work.

Think we all have multiple bottles of it at home and a bottle in the car.

If someone gets clamped, the ticket is put into a pouch and stuck onto the drivers window.

The glue is a b1tch to get off.

Would you consider that criminal damage.

My Reply in its entirity
    I've never had a problem removing parking ticket pouches, maybe they use different glue where you illegally park.

Anyways

I would think that unless they had checked if the driver had hand sanitizer in his car, the perpetrator was reckless in that they hindered the drivers vision.

Did I say nonsense, I thought I said they were using a different glue were you got ticketed

kenmm wrote: »

Doesn't need to be permanent to be considered as grafitti and there fore according to Garda.ie constituting criminal damage

• Advertisement

kenmm wrote: »

Same as bird sh1te....criminal damage and vandalism ?

When someone draws a big dick or writes "wash me" on a dirty car.......criminal damage and vandalism?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement