Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice on my son

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

beauf wrote: »
    While I'm all for doing things right, especially with tax and Prsi going forward, and people undervalue the value of family working for them. When they should pay them more. But I think there is case of winning the battle and losing the war here.

He would be way under using any tax credits up so it would just be PRSI.

I get what you are saying but I just don't think it's a good example or lesson to be learning when the OP says they are trying to teach the child something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

GarIT wrote: »
    I think you are completely wrong. He doens't need to be prepared for adulthood almost 10 years in adcance at only 14. And demanding he break the law isn't any sort of good preparation for adulthood.

You're completely losing the plot.

He's FOUR years from being considered an adult.

At eighteen he can vote, stand for election, drink, drive, get married.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

beauf wrote: »
    You could make that point without trawling someones past history.

School work and Sports doesn't prepare people for work.

If it did people wouldn't do work placements, and people wouldn't look for work experience desperately on CV

I was curious about how successful the OP was since they were so keen to get their 14 year old son out, just like them. I got my answer. You may not like it because I disagree with you about forcing him into a job that he doesn’t want, but there you go.

As for mental health issues, I would say that the OP seems to completely lack self awareness or empathy. His own issues should help him to frame what exactly he is doing and how it’s helping his son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

People don't look for work experience in a warehouse.

What you're implying is there is no value in such work experience. I would very much disagree.

More so I'd say its very obvious when people have no such experience and not in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I was curious about how successful the OP was since they were so keen to get their 14 year old son out, just like them. I got my answer. You may not like it because I disagree with you about forcing him into a job that he doesn’t want, but there you go.

As for mental health issues, I would say that the OP seems to completely lack self awareness or empathy. His own issues should help him to frame what exactly he is doing and how it’s helping his son.

Christ.

What a nasty post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would say thats digging the hole deeper.

Where did I say something about forcing someone into a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

noodler wrote: »
    Christ.

What a nasty post.

I don't necessarily agree with Stepping Stone either, but there's nothing nasty in that post. If people want to put their personal info out on the internet for everyone to read then it's fair game for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

That’s a very mature thing. To allow your fourteen year old who is going through puberty make a mess of things that could cause him hassle for years. So you can prove a point!

Messing up at a part time job as a 14 year old Isn't going to ruin his life...Mistakes need to be experienced, that's how we learn...too many people enter adulthood having had a fairly easy ride, then adulthood come about with all the baggage and bang anixety/depression as they aren't in anyway prepared to deal with getting knocked on their arse/rejection etc

If my mother hadn't sent me off to England @16 I certainly wouldn't have had steady employment after college, my own house and extensive savings...that sh!t job in England, working stupid hours, stupid commute, no real down time taught me a hell of a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

14 is a tricky age, it’s when mental health issues often start to manifest. I would urge you to rethink the Xbox, it’s a punishment for a little kid. If you want him to start acting like an adult, it would help to treat him like one. And that means respecting his possessions and his space. If you really want to incentivize him to work, cut down on buying him anything in the future - no more luxuries. Work would give him that money, that gives him more control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

What you're saying is that all 14 year olds are identical - you were a lazy sh*t at 14, ergo all 14 year olds are lazy....? :rolleyes:

Let me guess, next post your next post is My precious Johnny isn't lazy.

sure sure lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

If he’s generally a good lad who gets good grades and behaves (as you’ve said) I don’t see why you’re making such a big deal of this.

And if he gets good grades he probably already has the appropriate level of work ethic for his age.

If he was 16 or 17 that’d be different, kids develop a lot in that couple of years.

But based solely on what you’ve told us, I think your son is going to take a very different message than the one you’re trying to give.

In 20 years time when COVID 19 comes up in conversation, is this what you want him to remember?

Multipass wrote: »
    14 is a tricky age, it’s when mental health issues often start to manifest. I would urge you to rethink the Xbox, it’s a punishment for a little kid. If you want him to start acting like an adult, it would help to treat him like one. And that means respecting his possessions and his space. If you really want to incentivize him to work, cut down on buying him anything in the future - no more luxuries. Work would give him that money, that gives him more control.

Treat him like an adult, by not buying him possessions. Tricky, that.

:D

Someone will be along in a moment to point out that refusing to buy any more of what you've been buying him all along, is not actually incentivising at all, but... bullying.

Let me guess, next post your next post is My precious Johnny isn't lazy.

sure sure lol

There are plenty of lads in their 20's who are lazy...my sister needed someone to help with a bit of pulling and dragging where she worked... could not get a young lad to do a day's work for €100 cash in hand... literally 7 hours work pulling boxes of files from one room to another, and bringing stuff to a shredder room...I took the day's work as she was proper stressed about having to do it herself...easy money and I got lunch & dinner on her company too

• Registered Users Posts: 30,197 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Messing up at a part time job as a 14 year old Isn't going to ruin his life...Mistakes need to be experienced, that's how we learn...too many people enter adulthood having had a fairly easy ride, then adulthood come about with all the baggage and bang anixety/depression as they aren't in anyway prepared to deal with getting knocked on their arse/rejection etc

If my mother hadn't sent me off to England @16 I certainly wouldn't have had steady employment after college, my own house and extensive savings...that sh!t job in England, working stupid hours, stupid commute, no real down time taught me a hell of a lot

I didn’t relies at the time it was the kids Godfather it will be grand.
    If it was somebody else he could have got a bad name locally was the point I was trying to get across.
    I personally don’t believe the OP dealt with the situation correctly and that you need tough love to succeed because most successful people I know didn’t have an experience like yours.

It’s great it worked out for by the way.
    We’re never going to agree on the matter.

KiKi III wrote: »
    But based solely on what you’ve told us, I think your son is going to take a very different message than the one you’re trying to give.

In 20 years time when COVID 19 comes up in conversation, is this what you want him to remember?

FFS.

In 20 years time, the odds are they'll be laughing about it.

The problem with some people here, is that they have no respect for the young fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

FFS.

In 20 years time, the odds are they'll be laughing about it.

The problem with some people here, is that they have no respect for the young fella.

Respect for the young fella would be letting him make his own decisions.

I didn’t relies at the time it was the kids Godfather it will be grand.
    If it was somebody else he could have got a bad name locally was the point I was trying to get across.
    I personally don’t believe the OP dealt with the situation correctly and that you need tough love to succeed because most successful people I know didn’t have an experience like yours.

It’s great it worked out for by the way.
    We’re never going to agree on the matter.

But I needed that experience to knock a bit of reality into me. Because all i cared about was playing my computer games like the OP kid.

Have old childhood friends, the ones who worked with their parents from a young age are all pretty well adjusted, always worked. Most have their own houses, and seem to be doing well

The others who pretty much had everything handed to them, most have literally moved from job to job all low level stuff (2 of the those lads are still living with mammy & daddy at 30, in Limerick/Clare so it's not Dublin house prices)

If I hadn't been sent to England at 16 I'd be in group 2 there, my brother is group 2 but thankfully his GF has knocked some sense into him and his moving into the first group( good job, drinking less & saving for a house)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Treat him like an adult, by not buying him possessions. Tricky, that.

:D

Someone will be along in a moment to point out that refusing to buy any more of what you've been buying him all along, is not actually incentivising at all, but... bullying.

I don’t think they will. And I’m not saying to suddenly refuse to buy anything. It can be a gradual transition, in stages. Not done in a spiteful way, you don’t want that kind of dynamic with your kids. Communication and respect really goes both ways.

noodler wrote: »
    Christ.

What a nasty post.

You've been ****ing on and calling names enough yourself

You're completely losing the plot.

He's FOUR years from being considered an adult.

At eighteen he can vote, stand for election, drink, drive, get married.

The majority of people my age I know didn't start working until after college. If the kid was 16 and there wasn't a pandemic I'd be more supportive of the OP although it was still handled poorly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

OP I think you're being a bit harsh on your son. There has to be a bit of carrot and stick. Me and my sibling both had games consoles when we were his age. We got pocket money but if we wanted extra eg to buy a game we worked for it (chores for neighbours, babysitting etc). We weren't expected to work to keep ourselves until we had finished the leaving cert.

We both have conventionally very successful careers.
    I have taken up gaming again since the lockdown, it's a nice way of spending time.

It sounds from school and sports that he has a good work ethic as others have said. Why not give him an incentive to work if he wants to (eg has to buy his own games) but if he doesn't want to don't force him.

There are plenty of lads in their 20's who are lazy...my sister needed someone to help with a bit of pulling and dragging where she worked... could not get a young lad to do a day's work for €100 cash in hand... literally 7 hours work pulling boxes of files from one room to another, and bringing stuff to a shredder room...I took the day's work as she was proper stressed about having to do it herself...easy money and I got lunch & dinner on her company too

We were at full employment until this crisis started, everyone is struggling to get staff, it's not a sign of people being lazy.

Multipass wrote: »
    I don’t think they will. And I’m not saying to suddenly refuse to buy anything. It can be a gradual transition, in stages. Not done in a spiteful way, you don’t want that kind of dynamic with your kids. Communication and respect really goes both ways.

I was given €20 a week and that was it to live off. I got a part time job earning €160+ for a weekends work at 16 because I wanted more money. So that strtegy worked for me.

In 6th year my parents gave me €40 a week to encourage me to stop working and then €100 a week during the college year becasuse they have seen the numerous studies that prove working while studying reduces education performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,197 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

But I needed that experience to knock a bit of reality into me. Because all i cared about was playing my computer games like the OP kid.

Have old childhood friends, the ones who worked with their parents from a young age are all pretty well adjusted, always worked. Most have their own houses, and seem to be doing well

The others who pretty much had everything handed to them, most have literally moved from job to job all low level stuff (2 of the those lads are still living with mammy & daddy at 30, in Limerick/Clare so it's not Dublin house prices)

If I hadn't been sent to England at 16 I'd be in group 2 there, my brother is group 2 but thankfully his GF has knocked some sense into him and his moving into the first group( good job, drinking less & saving for a house)

This isn’t benefiting the OP. I could also post a big long post also.
    We’ve clearly had different experiences in life and with people.
    He’s been given plenty of opinions and advice.

We were at full employment until this crisis started, everyone is struggling to get staff, it's not a sign of people being lazy.

She offered the work to a neighbor who doesn't work, a few students who live next to her, all too "busy" for a day's work...an easy day's work at that...

She offered the work to a neighbor who doesn't work, a few students who live next to her, all too "busy" for a day's work...an easy day's work at that...

The government consider full time education to be the same as full time employment for many purposes.

I did a science degree and did over 30 hours in college and then was expected to do another 40 hours studying. Most don't do that amount of studying including myself, but it is in the course hours and what they expect. The students could well have been busy. The neighbour maybe, but you don't know their circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

And all I cared about was playing games when I was a kid too. I wasn’t forced out to work. So I became the best in the country at it, an early iteration of a pro gamer. Something which now has an average wage of >$400k in the states.

And now I’ve a BSc, MSc and PhD. I’m still heavily involved in gaming too.

Just because you needed a kick up the hole, doesn’t mean everyone in that scenario does.

And all I cared about was playing games when I was a kid too. I wasn’t forced out to work. So I became the best in the country at it, an early iteration of a pro gamer. Something which now has an average wage of >$400k in the states.

And now I’ve a BSc, MSc and PhD. I’m still heavily involved in gaming too.

Just because you needed a kick up the hole, doesn’t mean everyone in that scenario does.

Fair play to you...but if the OP's kid can't be without his Xbox for 16 hours a week to work and learn life skills, that's a little worrying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

KiKi III wrote: »
    Nobody needs to “learn the discipline of employment” at 14. You’d think he’ll become a slack jawed yokel if he’s not.

He can’t see his friends for the most part at the moment. He hasn’t been to school in months.

His whole life has been turned upside down.

And even though he is a good kid who gets good grades without being pushed you’re giving him a hard time.

Is this job within your 5km radius and essential? Of course it’s not.

You mustn't understand the regulations if your talking about work having to be within 5km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Just because he's unwilling to do this at 14 doesn't mean he's work shy. He's young. Give him a chance.

Advertisement