Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Psychlops wrote: »
    Correct, Also, what is the fastest speed we know? Light Speed? To them, Light Speed could be 1st gear.

I think the current understanding is this: The speed that light travels at is like a universal physical limit on the speed that anything can move at. Light would move faster if it could, but it can't, because nothing can.
    At least that's the gist of what I read recently and of course that's just a theory based on current observations. Perhaps there are other things that move faster that we haven't observed or aren't capable of observing. But from what I remember this is thought to be impossible based on our understanding of the universe right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The science of black holes and wormholes and gravity wells and all that good stuff is basic in terms of human understanding, but thanks to Einstein and those that came after him, the theory is robust.

So, how fast light can travel in a straight line is sort of irrelevant when it comes to really navigating across the Universe. Light speed in a vacuum may be a constant, but in terms of spacetime, very little else is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Still fascinated and looking forward to the possibility of something new to ponder about with the report.

There’s a lot of ways things could go or point towards even if you remove the possibility of it being extraterrestrial completely. Like the ‘disappearance’ of Dr.Ning Li? Positive work and peer reviewed papers on anti gravity tech, half a million in grants but published no findings? Then vanished?

18 years is a long time.

Heck that’s just one possible explanation for craft or propulsion systems we would find alien, out of how many? Just the fact it’s changed from ‘nothing to see here’ to ‘yeah we see them, they exist’ is enough for me ha ha
    Exciting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »

That's the closest yet we've come to actually hearing a declaration that the phenomon is extraterrestrial, I know he didn't say it, but the inference is definitely left hangin in the air.

Thing is, for many reasons I don't think the report can go there, all it can do is gently suggest this theory or that theory based on the evidence they have, evidence that we'll only get a peek at :cool:

I would also envisage (in the wake of the US report to Congress) a United Nations conference & announcement on this topic in the next year or so.

That's my point there always form something that can't take a good picture,
    Do you not find that a bit strange all the thousand of UFO sightings down the years and every single one bar none are on absolute terrible camera's or infer red or anything that simply does not give you a good imagine ,

If this was a big foot thread everyone would be laughing ,

It's 2021 no good imagine then get the hell out of here :D

Luis Elizondo, to me, is the most credible person speaking on this subject right now. He was the Director of the Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program.

He answers your question in this clip. (From 10:34)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

I just got into this recently after the 60 minutes report . So was thinking along the lines of...If there are other intelligent lifeforms out there (why should we be either the only ones or the most advanced, considering the first life appeared millions of years ago).....

Say some culture had a good head start on us. Consider what we have discovered about the fundamental quantum building blocks of the universe in only the past 100 years. In a lot of cases, the technology was lagging behind the theory, and it took us a while to be able to actually find physical proof of the theories.

So , if some culture who did not operate in a short term political cycle where most resources were not geared to getting someone re-elected again in a few orbits of their sun, maybe they could take a (much) more long term approach to things

So they are quite happy to venture on long-term scientific projects.
    So this society decides to see if there are other planets out there that can support the development of intelligent life as theirs does.

So they crunch the numbers , as we are doing now, to look for planets in their galactic area that can theoritecally support life.
    They select a certain number of candidates.
    Their technology is advanced enough that they don't have to send any of their population on a wild goose chase, they can send machines with AI to these planets to check out if there is life and what stage its at.

If they find some life and its non-intelligent, they dont need to worry about concealment. They set up camp start tracking the evolution of the planet . The AI could maybe be intelligent enough to scout out a moon in the system to check for raw material and be coded to manufacture the required machines fdor the future.

Maybe, later, if they detect that the life on the planet has developed enough intelligence that their presence is affecting the evolution of the palnet, they retreat to a further stage of concealment, like only viewing from high up.

And so on, until we reach where we are now, where our tech is not advanced enough to definitevely understand who they are , but is advanced enough to detect things we dont understand, but can't brush under the carpet anymore.

I'm not say this IS the case but, IF there are craft out there with tech way ahead of ours trying not to reveal themselves, I dont think the rest is much of a stretch at all.

human 19 wrote: »
    I just got into this recently after the 60 minutes report . So was thinking along the lines of...If there are other intelligent lifeforms out there (why should we be either the only ones or the most advanced, considering the first life appeared millions of years ago).....

Say some culture had a good head start on us. Consider what we have discovered about the fundamental quantum building blocks of the universe in only the past 100 years. In a lot of cases, the technology was lagging behind the theory, and it took us a while to be able to actually find physical proof of the theories.

So , if some culture who did not operate in a short term political cycle where most resources were not geared to getting someone re-elected again in a few orbits of their sun, maybe they could take a (much) more long term approach to things

So they are quite happy to venture on long-term scientific projects.
    So this society decides to see if there are other planets out there that can support the development of intelligent life as theirs does.

So they crunch the numbers , as we are doing now, to look for planets in their galactic area that can theoritecally support life.
    They select a certain number of candidates.
    Their technology is advanced enough that they don't have to send any of their population on a wild goose chase, they can send machines with AI to these planets to check out if there is life and what stage its at.

If they find some life and its non-intelligent, they dont need to worry about concealment. They set up camp start tracking the evolution of the planet . The AI could maybe be intelligent enough to scout out a moon in the system to check for raw material and be coded to manufacture the required machines fdor the future.

Maybe, later, if they detect that the life on the planet has developed enough intelligence that their presence is affecting the evolution of the palnet, they retreat to a further stage of concealment, like only viewing from high up.

And so on, until we reach where we are now, where our tech is not advanced enough to definitevely understand who they are , but is advanced enough to detect things we dont understand, but can't brush under the carpet anymore.

I'm not say this IS the case but, IF there are craft out there with tech way ahead of ours trying not to reveal themselves, I dont think the rest is much of a stretch at all.

The problem with this theory is that the sightings that have been discussed a lot recently, ie. the ones that the US military have observed and recorded, don't seem to be trying to conceal themselves at all.

The Nimitz event went on for a couple of weeks I think. The object Fravor saw disappeared in front of his eyes and was reacquired moments later on radar at a position 60 miles away that Fravor and his colleagues were using as a waypoint on their flight plan.

Also, if you believe that these are craft from an advanced lifeform that are capable of defying the laws of physics as we know them, then remaining completely invisible to us would surely be very simple if that's what "they" wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

There’s skeptics, there’s believers and that this is even a conversation right now makes me giddy. BBC, Sky News and the like reporting on this is surreal but welcomed, even if they do it with a stupid grin on their face.

Weird times!

Meanwhile, back at RTE… Covid, variants and blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

nocoverart wrote: »
    There’s skeptics, there’s believers and that this is even a conversation right now makes me giddy. BBC, Sky News and the like reporting on this is surreal but welcomed, even if they do it with a stupid grin on their face.

Weird times!

Meanwhile, back at RTE… Covid, variants and blah blah blah

RTE will only get interested if its found Covid is alien-made.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭aziz

NIMAN wrote: »

Jesus , how concerned will Tony be then.

The delta virus is bad enough but the Pluto variant?

Is tomorrow (Friday 25th) still on for the release of report to Congress & the public?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This is an interesting listen too.

Anyone know anything else about the story of the kids finding a crashed craft in New Mexico in 1945?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

NIMAN wrote: »

Or if one of the aliens is related to someone who works for RTE.

First article from Tim McMillan.
    Second one is due out today.

https://thedebrief.org/devices-of-unknown-origin-part-i-mystery-in-the-caribbean/

It's amazing to see publications such as the New York Times cover this. The stigma is slowly fading away. I find it amazing that some people found it warranted to increase the stigma involved in reporting these objects in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

I am getting a 2010-feeling about this, like the end of Lost approaching. I think I get the let-down will be huge and we will be left scratching our heads

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Butson

No way the US government tells all it knows.

After 1.5 years of Covid, we are not ready for this at all.

The most they'll say is "there are aircraft in US airspace acting with advanced aerodynamic ability and we don't know who's piloting them".

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Butson

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The most they'll say is "there are aircraft in US airspace acting with advanced aerodynamic ability and we don't know who's piloting them".

That's it.

This stuff has been going on a very long time.
    From Foo Fighters in WW2, to UFOs dismantling Nuclear Weapon sites....

Could be humans from the future who have mastered time travel, who the hell knows.

• Advertisement

Butson wrote: »
    That's it.

Could be humans from the future who have mastered time travel, who the hell knows.

Indeed. They can't claim that they're one particular species or nationality without evidence. It's already pretty huge that they could say there's aircraft in US airspace that are far in advance of anything known to us.

The report.

Tomorrow, or next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,578 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Butson wrote: »
    That's it.

What if Humans from the past mastered time travel then came to the future(now for us) and then went back to the past and destroyed there machine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NebraTZ

^- Sadly Elon is on to your type ! - even after launch still another seven months of asking .... ;)

The report.

Tomorrow, or next week?

I think it's due tomorrow.

Yep, Reuters now saying it's imminent, which means we'll get to hear about it Saturday morning ...

Finally.

Scientific American article dropped a few hours ago:
    In his book Childhood’s End, Arthur C. Clarke tells a story of a peaceful alien invasion of Earth that comes at the expense of humanity’s unique identity and culture. A report to Congress from the Pentagon and various intelligence agencies about sightings of unidentified flying objects (UFOs) by military personnel is scheduled to be made public shortly. The report reportedly concludes that some of the UFOs are likely real objects whose nature cannot be assessed with any confidence.
    Most likely, the reported objects have mundane explanations, but we need better evidence to be sure. If they do represent alien technology, UFOs could potentially be robotic—autonomous equipment that follows a blueprint crafted by an intelligent species beyond Earth. They might even be self-replicating machines, as envisioned by the polymath John von Neumann.

If they are self-replicating robots, it would be a smart way to extend the lifespan of a reconnaissance mission. But it might also mean that they are here looking for minerals or some other earth resource to construct the next generation. :eek:

Nice write up by the Irish Sun detailing some of the background to where we are now.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/7190310/pentagon-black-triangle-ufo-photo-fighter-pilot/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Scientific American article dropped a few hours ago:

If they are self-replicating robots, it would be a smart way to extend the lifespan of a reconnaissance mission. But it might also mean that they are here looking for minerals or some other earth resource to construct the next generation. :eek:

I think it was when listening to Lazar and Corbell that they theorized what if the much depicted Grey alien was not a life form at all but some form of robotic AI.

They are pretty much described as featureless, dont speak, no ears or visible sex organs as no need to reproduce.

All guessing really but who knows

• Advertisement

Ninthlife wrote: »
    I think it was when listening to Lazar and Corbell that they theorized what if the much depicted Grey alien was not a life form at all but some form of robotic AI.

They are pretty much described as featureless, dont speak, no ears or visible sex organs as no need to reproduce.

All guessing really but who knows

How much credibility do people give to Bob Lazar?
    It seems that many dismiss him as a fake.

(I'm only learning about all of this saga in recent days).

Advertisement