Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »
    Re-read what I said if it does not make sense.

There is nothing to re-read. You claimed that what he said was "nonsense". When asked to show what was nonsense you could not do it.

Instead you just got personal against him. And then when asked to back up the personal comments - you could not do that either.

And now you are trying to shift it to make it about me instead.

You really have nothing do you?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Indeed but what you refer to as exceptions are actually prominent figures in scepticism. Well again these are definitions. I'm talking about key players in the modern sceptic movement.

Without specifics I really can not respond. I have no idea what or who you are talking about to be honest.

But as I said - the word "sceptic" has a very specific meaning. And if someone is merely insulting people for coming up with hypotheses then that is not being sceptical - that is just being an asswipe.

But there is a difference between putting derision on coming up with hypotheses - and on thinking those hypotheses are true for no reason. There is nothing sceptical about the former. There is nothing at all wrong with the latter.
    Ridiculing people and shutting down views isn't what the scientific method is about. Sceptics who do it are actually holding back science.

If any science is offered - sure! You would be right. But I think the derision and ridicule being levelled against people who are not offering any science but are still holding to random ideas as if those ideas are true is a very different thing entirely. Look at the user I responded to above for example. There is nothing at this time to suggest flying things we have not identified are of alien origin. And if a sceptic points this out their entire argument is dismissed as "nonsense" and if that does not work the character of the speaker is just assassinated instead.

There is no science there. There is no science conversation to have with such a person making that approach. Only derision is warranted.
    He states that the objects being seen and described by pilots and radar operators as being more advanced than anything we have are all prosaic objects

Very often they are. For example above someone called one "sighting" as one of the "best" there ever was. A simple and very quick reading of that incident show that the army openly acknowledge they dropped flares at that exact time. Other people have shown that sightings of such flares do look exactly like what people observed at the time. They even went so far as to say _exactly_ which aircraft dropped the flares and we even know the name of one of the pilots who confirmed himself he was in the formation that dropped the flares that night.

Yet this incident is still being called the "best" one????
    In other words some sceptics have difficulty saying the words scientists often have to say and that is "we don't know what these things are".

And as I said - I would not call such a person a sceptic in the first place. If we do not know what an object is then the only approach a real sceptic by definition can take is say "We saw something - we do not know what it was - lets find out".

If any sceptic without evidence dismisses or overly praises any one explanation over another without any reason to do so - then that is not being sceptical. That is being biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I wonder will Biden and Putin or any of their representatives be discussing this at their little get together. The Russians must have tonnes of footage if this is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

MadYaker wrote: »
    I wonder will Biden and Putin or any of their representatives be discussing this at their little get together. The Russians must have tonnes of footage if this is real.

Oh for sure the Russians have footage, as do the Chinese, the British, the French and problably every other government on the planet, so it will be interesting to see if we hear more about official UAP reports from Russia & China.

Whatever happens on the 25th it looks like it will be a landmark moment in modern history, for there will be an official announcement that there really are things in our skies (intelligently controlled), and yet we don't know what they are and we don't know where they come from!

That's a Biggie.

Not saying it's aliens, not talking about flying saucers, not talking about Star Trek either, just wondering about what this phenomon really is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Oh for sure the Russians have footage, as do the Chinese, the British, the French and problably every other government on the planet, so it will be interesting to see if we hear more about official UAP reports from Russia & China.

Whatever happens on the 25th it looks like it will be a landmark moment in modern history, for there will be an official announcement that there really are things in our skies (intelligently controlled), and yet we don't know what they are and we don't know where they come from!

That's a Biggie.

Not saying it's aliens, not talking about flying saucers, not talking about Star Trek either, just wondering about what this phenomon really is?

Apart from acknowledging (which they've already done) and stating they are of unknown origin what else does anyone expect the report to contain?

Maybe further details of other instances? But apart from that there isnt a whole lot more to say

I agree, probably not much more in the report, unless we all get a surprise of some kind? but I think even the fact that it's slowly dawning on us that (officially) there is something else unknown and unidentified in the skies should be enough to make everybody sit-up and pay attention.

It's quite amazing when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Butson

People talk about Disclosure, like its going to be some event on the White House Lawn with Biden announcing little green men.

They have essentially done disclosure. They have said, quite clearly, that the US (greatest military power on Earth) have no idea what these things are.
    If that is some sort of cloak and tagger tactic, it wouldn't be very smart. Also, testing secret projects around your own pilots, many of whom have said they were very close shaves, would be beyond stupid and dangerous.

The guy who took the video of the Tic Tac (not Fravor) said in an interview recently that he has a) flown black project aircraft and b) seen things he wasn't supposed to see and in both cases he had to sign NDAs and say nothing. This wasn't the case with the Tic Tac.

There is nothing to re-read. You claimed that what he said was "nonsense". When asked to show what was nonsense you could not do it.

Instead you just got personal against him. And then when asked to back up the personal comments - you could not do that either.

And now you are trying to shift it to make it about me instead.

You really have nothing do you?

Read every post under the video of that clown. You are spending a lot of energy on here making the same arguments. Text a friend or something with at least half as much text, there's an amazing world (and universe) out there we know so little about. Let's be open minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

I don't see any credible scientists in academia claiming that these UFOs are extra-terrestrial in origin. The closest we get is Harvard professor Avi Loeb, but that is regarding ʻOumuamu and even then the evidence for this is weak.

• Advertisement

Read every post under the video of that clown. You are spending a lot of energy on here making the same arguments. Text a friend or something with at least half as much text, there's an amazing world (and universe) out there we know so little about. Let's be open minded.

Still more insults and still not answering the questions I have asked you? As I said - you got nothing.

You personally dislike the guy. Nothing wrong with that at all. But that says nothing about him - only about you. Nothing he said was nonsense - and none of the personal insults you fling at him hold water.

I am all for open mindedness and wonder at the unknowns of the universe. But that is not the same thing as pretending someone is talking "nonsense" when you can not show anything they said was nonsense.

Sky News UFO Report - audio 24 mins .....

Fascinating discussion about the upcoming UAP (UFO) report and all goes well right up until 14m 10s, then it goes off course :cool:

Audio link ...
    https://news.sky.com/story/ufo-report-are-we-alone-12334045

Bad Robot to explore the UFO mystery ...

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/ufo-jj-abrams-showtime-bad-robot-1234998522/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Saw something mildly interesting in the sky last night that I may as well share here. My family were staying in a cottage in west Clare for the week. I was outside having a smoke when i spotted something to the west. A bright light, similar to a star but larger. It was getting quite dark at this stage but there was a bit of light left to the west. So this was visible against the last light of dusk if you know what I mean. The cottage is approx 1km from the coast and I would estimate this object was at least 10km away so well out over the water.

The light was shimmering white. It caught my attention because of how bright it was but also because I had a visual reference to it's movement in the form of a telephone pole. When I began observing it it was in line with the wire on the top of the pole. It was moving slowly straight down. No lateral movement. I called my family out to see it and we watched it descend slowly before disappearing below the horizon. From when I first noticed it to it disappearing took about 4 or 5 minutes.

There is a view of the Atlantic from the house, but the direction we were observing this light in has a small hill blocking the view of the sea. So when I say it disappeared below the horizon it wasn't the sea horizon, just below the hill in the distance.

Never seen anything like it before, nor had any of my family. Now, I'm a pilot, so I know an aircraft when I see one. This had no beacon or navigation lights that I could see. It wasn't moving laterally nor was it getting any closer to or further away from our position. The only thing that may explain it would be a helicopter at sea, with it's landing lights on, pointing in our direction continuously while performing a very slowly descending hover.

We considered chinese lanterns but not only would they have a more orange light that wouldn't be as bright, they would be drifting laterally in the wind. Likewise for a weather balloon.

The only other thing then would be a star. This is the most obvious answer but I've never seen a star this big and bright against a sky with some light left in it. Then there's the speed at which it moved, which was slow but noticeable and faster than I would associate with celestial movement. Finally, against the reference of the telephone pole it moved vertically, no lateral movement at all, which is not how celestial objects are observed.

So that's it, will probably never know what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Saw something mildly interesting in the sky last night that I may as well share here. My family were staying in a cottage in west Clare for the week. I was outside having a smoke when i spotted something to the west. A bright light, similar to a star but larger. It was getting quite dark at this stage but there was a bit of light left to the west. So this was visible against the last light of dusk if you know what I mean. The cottage is approx 1km from the coast and I would estimate this object was at least 10km away so well out over the water.

The light was shimmering white. It caught my attention because of how bright it was but also because I had a visual reference to it's movement in the form of a telephone pole. When I began observing it it was in line with the wire on the top of the pole. It was moving slowly straight down. No lateral movement. I called my family out to see it and we watched it descend slowly before disappearing below the horizon. From when I first noticed it to it disappearing took about 4 or 5 minutes.

There is a view of the Atlantic from the house, but the direction we were observing this light in has a small hill blocking the view of the sea. So when I say it disappeared below the horizon it wasn't the sea horizon, just below the hill in the distance.

Never seen anything like it before, nor had any of my family. Now, I'm a pilot, so I know an aircraft when I see one. This had no beacon or navigation lights that I could see. It wasn't moving laterally nor was it getting any closer to or further away from our position. The only thing that may explain it would be a helicopter at sea, with it's landing lights on, pointing in our direction continuously while performing a very slowly descending hover.

We considered chinese lanterns but not only would they have a more orange light that wouldn't be as bright, they would be drifting laterally in the wind. Likewise for a weather balloon.

The only other thing then would be a star. This is the most obvious answer but I've never seen a star this big and bright against a sky with some light left in it. Then there's the speed at which it moved, which was slow but noticeable and faster than I would associate with celestial movement. Finally, against the reference of the telephone pole it moved vertically, no lateral movement at all, which is not how celestial objects are observed.

Did none of ye have a phone to video it???

• Registered Users Posts: 42 willier

I'd be 100% certain that what you saw was the planet Venus. It is currently due west in the evening at sundown and sets about an hour after sundown. It's so bright you can actually see it before sunset if you know where to look.

Can't wait for next Friday/Saturday morning when the report finally lands on the desk and in people's heads, just to see expressions going from a gentle smile with a wink, to a serious look of recognition that UAPs are real (even if we don't know what they are). I fully expect Sky News BBC CNN CNBC, RT etc to have wall to wall coverage all day Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

flanna01 wrote: »
    Did none of ye have a phone to video it???

You know yourself that a distant light in the night sky is not worth trying to capture with a smart phone camera. My nephew grabbed a DSLR and snapped some photos of it but I haven't seen them yet.
    willier wrote: »
    I'd be 100% certain that what you saw was the planet Venus. It is currently due west in the evening at sundown and sets about an hour after sundown. It's so bright you can actually see it before sunset if you know where to look.

I think you're probably right, the only thing that I can't figure out is why there appeared to be no lateral movement. It went straight down. Also it moved a significant distance in the sky in a pretty short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Can't wait for next Friday/Saturday morning when the report finally lands on the desk and in people's heads, just to see expressions going from a gentle smile with a wink, to a serious look of recognition that UAPs are real (even if we don't know what they are). I fully expect Sky News BBC CNN CNBC, RT etc to have wall to wall coverage all day Saturday!

I’m not really expecting much at all to be honest. They are hardly going to say ‘ Ok, we have advanced beings visiting Earth from Zeta Reticuli'. I’d say it will probably be along the lines of what Obama said to James Corden recently. That the military have tracked/witnessed objects in the sky that they cannot explain.

And you can be sure that next Sunday week the vast majority of people will still laugh at the subject.

• Advertisement

I’m not really expecting much at all to be honest. They are hardly going to say ‘ Ok, we have advanced beings visiting Earth from Zeta Reticuli'. I’d say it will probably be along the lines of what Obama said to James Corden recently. That the military have tracked/witnessed objects in the sky that they cannot explain.

And you can be sure that next Sunday week the vast majority of people will still laugh at the subject.

Same, I can't see any dramatic change in coverage although it has been good to see serious coverage of it recently. I doubt there will be any new evidence released in it. I know they say that radar is solid evidence but the vast majority of people will need to see a high quality video showing some of the 'five observables' Elizondo talks about. I bet they have a treasure trove of it but for one reason or another will not release it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Former Israeli space security chief says extraterrestrials exist
    A former Israeli space security chief has sent eyebrows shooting heavenward by saying that earthlings have been in contact with extraterrestrials from a "galactic federation."

"The Unidentified Flying Objects have asked not to publish that they are here, humanity is not ready yet," Haim Eshed, former head of Israel's Defense Ministry's space directorate, told Israel's Yediot Aharonot newspaper. The interview in Hebrew ran on Friday, and gained traction after parts were published in English by the Jerusalem Post on Tuesday.

A respected professor and retired general, Eshed said the aliens were equally curious about humanity and were seeking to understand "the fabric of the universe."

"There is an agreement between the U.S. government and the aliens. They signed a contract with us to do experiments here," he said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weird-news/former-israeli-space-security-chief-says-extraterrestrials-exist-trump-knows-n1250333

I mean, sure it's a bit of a stretch. But if flying discs that can manipulate gravity are flying actually around here, is it really too crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they're dragging their heels on this "announcement" aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

I'm surprised that this isn't getting more traction in the press than it is,considering how important it could be. Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe the fact that people aren't suddenly rushing out to stock up on bog roll and Brennans means that they might be more open in the future to disclose unexplainable sightings.

It would be great if someone was asked to give a % figure on the possibility of the sightings being the result of non-earth technology and they give a figure greater than 50%. Then the media could run with words like "probably". But I do agree that the line will probably be " we are looking at at all possible scenarios".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

When the report drops RTE will probably mention it, but there isn't going to be any real information in it that we don't already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Panrich

If there was anything in the reports that was evidence of alien origin, it would render the work of SETI as redundant. I don’t think that there would be any more telescope time wasted on searching for minute signals galaxies away if they’re already on our doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Fortunately what the vast majority of people laugh at isn't a metric of scientific merit. If that would be the case then evolution, human powered flight, genetics and quantum electrodynamics would have been left unstudied.

People who laugh at scientific mysteries are idiots who should be treated with disdain lest they hold back science.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

fryup wrote: »
    they're dragging their heels on this "announcement" aren't they?

I’m already resigned to the disappointment that it will be a boring jargon heavy “red tape” type of government report with very little in it

Maybe something like “unexplained UAPs are in US airspace, we will monitor”

I very much doubt specifics will be given.

It’ll all be “yesterday’s fish and chip paper” in a few weeks time I suspect

Hoping I’ll be proven wrong and they will lay out CLEAR and sharp photos and videos ....

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

spegnor87 wrote: »
    Talk on the grapevine is that the report will disclose more details on the Galatic Federation leaked by the Israelis. There's rumours that the extraterrestrials are believers in a universal Islam which would be another paradigm shift in itself.

Trolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I doubt rte will even report on it

Advertisement