Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fundamentalists using covid to ram through measures

Options
  • 21-05-2020 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

Dublin city councils cycling fundamentalists led by Mr Keegan are now trying to use Covid as an excuse to force through the pedestrianization of College Green, under the pretense of safety for social distancing - this has to be one of the most cynical things Keegan and his Green friends have ever attempted, and is a clear indication they will stop at nothing.
    Having the greens in power could potentially make matters even worse - SF are starting to look like the sane option !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

TO THE BARRICADES!!!!

Oh no, wait, I think it's a great idea :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The original college green plaza plan came from an SF led Council at the time. You'll have trouble finding any politician against it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's going to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Same old same old.Dublin City Council/ Greens will embrace any idea that punishes car owners regardless of consequences. They have no other policy. Keegan destroyed all retail business in Dun Laoghaire and it never recovered from him

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I remember the moaning and bitching when the pedestriaized Grafton Street.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Seems to have majority support. Maybe you're the fundamentalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

RobAMerc wrote: »
    SF are starting to look like the sane option !

lol

Truthvader wrote: »
    Same old same old.Dublin City Council/Greens

I take it you don't know much about the political make up of DCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’m glad there’s a thread on this. To me it looks like the city manager is exploiting the crisis to push through the pedestrian plans that otherwise would never be agreed to

Anyone who wants to see cars drive right through the middle of the city centre, for no other reason than a rat run, are wrong.

There's no arguing against that fact, as much as you try.

BTW, there's loads of threads on it.

• Advertisement

I’m glad there’s a thread on this. To me it looks like the city manager is exploiting the crisis to push through the pedestrian plans that otherwise would never be agreed to

I have an email from the city manager from four weeks ago that says there's ample pedestrian space in Dublin city and that we don't need any interventions. He brushed off the idea completely.

Then he got hundreds of requests through the traffic service and almost every councillor was calling for changes. And the executive saw what other cities were doing and what's coming down the line for us if we don't do something.

Then he backed down and started making changes. So I'm calling bull**** on this conspiracy theory of Owen Keegan leading a secret agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

What city centre retail and traders need post lockdown is free parking till year end to bring customers back and save their businesses and jobs. This is not the time to be making it more diificult for people to get into the city. Dublin is a sprawling city stretching from Skerries in the North to Bray in the South and Naas in the West. People need a car to access the city centre . Making it harder from them to do so will only force them to use the M50 Retail Parks and lead to an empty and dead city for retailers.

subpar wrote: »
    What city centre retail and traders need post lockdown is free parking till year end to bring customers back and save their businesses and jobs. This is not the time to be making it more diificult for people to get into the city. Dublin is a sprawling city stretching from Skerries in the North to Bray in the South and Naas in the West. People need a car to access the city centre . Making it harder from them to do so will only force them to use the M50 Retail Parks and lead to an empty and dead city for retailers.

Out of all the places you mentioned there, only 1 is in Dublin, and it's not Dublin city.

Most people don't need a car to access the city centre. And for those that do, there will be nothing stopping them accessing it via car.

You fail to see the irony in not wanting to make it more pleasant and safer for those to access it by bike or public transport, all it does is bring more private traffic to the city, and therefore more difficult for everyone.

20% of retail spending comes from drivers while 56% comes from public transport users. 21% from walkers. 26% of commuters come in by car while 53% use public transport.

How many more customers do you think they'll bring in by car before the city is in gridlock? If the number of cars in the city goes up by 25%, let alone tripled, it will be complete chaos. Retailers need more drivers like they need a hole in the head.

You're right, this is not the time to make it more difficult to get into the city. And if we don't do this, it will get very very difficult to get into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

Hurrache wrote: »
    Out of all the places you mentioned there, only 1 is in Dublin, and it's not Dublin city.

Most people don't need a car to access the city centre. And for those that do, there will be nothing stopping them accessing it via car.

You fail to see the irony in not wanting to make it more pleasant and safer for those to access it by bike or public transport, all it does is bring more private traffic to the city, and therefore more difficult for everyone.

The economy , jobs , peoples livelyhoods are far more important than improving access for pedestrians at this time.
    What about the rights of the hundreds of businesses in the city , many of whom have been in the same locations for decades , are their voices not entitled to heard. Have they no input into this process, particularly as they are paying high levels of rates to the city council.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The economy , jobs , peoples livelyhoods are far more important than improving access for pedestrians at this time.
    What about the rights of the hundreds of businesses in the city , many of whom have been in the same locations for decades , are their voices not entitled to heard. Have they no input into this process, particularly as they are paying high levels of rates to the city council.

Same stuff doled out when Grafton street and Henry street were pedestrianised.

Only people who drive into the city contribute to the economy, or do so to a larger extent than those that don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Surely the penny must have dropped by now - cars are going to be squeezed out of all cities eventually You want to go into town? Get the bus, dart, tram, taxi, bike, walk.

Peregrine wrote: »
    I have an email from the city manager from four weeks ago that says there's ample pedestrian space in Dublin city and that we don't need any interventions. He brushed off the idea completely.

Then he got hundreds of requests through the traffic service and almost every councillor was calling for changes. And the executive saw what other cities were doing and what's coming down the line for us if we don't do something.

Then he backed down and started making changes. So I'm calling bull**** on this conspiracy theory of Owen Keegan leading a secret agenda.

Don't think his agenda is "secret". He has devoted himself to attacking car users. Visit Dun Laoghaire and see what he has done. The solution is and has been an Underground but Keegan/ Greens will never promote that because it is not punitive of car users. First "service" re-introduced by Dublin City Council after lockdown was clamping.

I'm a car user, I don't feel attacked. I have the sense to realise that the city centre is no place for me to easily take my car and expect priority over everyone else when I do so. Common sense really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I doubt that hundreds of people spontaneously suddenly decided while the city was in lockdown and a killer plague roaming the streets to suddenly decide they all wanted a plaza - much more likely to be his staff under instructions as happens often in big organisations or a lobbying body. Keegan destroyed Dun Laoghaire, its lical businesses and passing trade, and then he spent a hundred million on a highly contraversial library and is working on ruining the businesses in the city centre and transport and working routes for the many who l need to access the city yet have no proper, frequent or reliable public transport to access it. I hope someone takes a judicial review on this and it triggers protests to the new government to control their staff who seem to think they can spend public money on vanity projects regardless of consequences and snub the state organisations there to protect against men like him.

I've yet to see one person, and I don't expect to see anyone on this thread do so either, give a good reason why College Green shouldn't be pedestrianised while allowing access to public transport?
    I hope someone takes a judicial review on this and it triggers protests to the new government to control their staff who seem to think they can spend public money on vanity projects regardless of consequences and snub the state organisations there to protect against men like him.

You've a fundamental misunderstanding of how our government works.

Truthvader wrote: »
    First "service" re-introduced by Dublin City Council after lockdown was clamping.
    And what about it? Illegal parking is rampant. DCC's own parking enforcement department admits to not enforcing pavement parking as a policy in most cases. They're too lenient. Although, we need towing, not clamping.

I doubt that hundreds of people spontaneously suddenly decided while the city was in lockdown and a killer plague roaming the streets to suddenly decide they all wanted a plaza - much more likely to be his staff under instructions as happens often in big organisations or a lobbying body. Keegan destroyed Dun Laoghaire, its lical businesses and passing trade, and then he spent a hundred million on a highly contraversial library and is working on ruining the businesses in the city centre and transport and working routes for the many who l need to access the city yet have no proper, frequent or reliable public transport to access it. I hope someone takes a judicial review on this and it triggers protests to the new government to control their staff who seem to think they can spend public money on vanity projects regardless of consequences and snub the state organisations there to protect against men like him.

If you bothered to read the plan, you'll notice that it's about a lot more than College Green. College Green is barely mentioned.

And as for the rest of your post, if that's the level of knowledge of local government functions I'm debating with, I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Have a car but no desire to ever drive to the city centre. I use the luas bus or cycle in.
    I know people who stay away from the city centre as they get out off due to all the traffic and cramped footpaths. Increased pedestrian area would attract more people to the city centre imo.

If you bothered to read the plan, you'll notice that it's about a lot more than College Green. College Green is barely mentioned.

I skimmed through the report you printed elsewhere to see what it has to say about it, and like you say, it barely features.

However it's a talisman for the hysterics to centre around.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Dublin city councils cycling fundamentalists led by Mr Keegan are now trying to use Covid as an excuse to force through the pedestrianization of College Green, under the pretense of safety for social distancing - this has to be one of the most cynical things Keegan and his Green friends have ever attempted, and is a clear indication they will stop at nothing.
    Having the greens in power could potentially make matters even worse - SF are starting to look like the sane option !

I love when people get all emotional and aim for the shock! impact by using words like "fundamentalists" - always gives me the impression that the OP doesn't actually beleive what he's saying himself, so has to exaggerage the headline to something a bit more attention-grabbing.

I'm not a cyclist. This is an excellent and rational idea. Power to them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

And what about it? Illegal parking is rampant. DCC's own parking enforcement department admits to not enforcing pavement parking as a policy in most cases. They're too lenient. Although, we need towing, not clamping.

Point was whether Keegan had a "secret" agenda.

Why don't you cycle into town? The place is empty. There is no issue with parking because no-one is in town. What is the first essential service Keegan re-introduces? Clamping.

Maybe empty some of the overflowing bins around Ringsend/Poolbeg where people walk or remove the abandoned "Road Works" from outside my house? Nope, who cares; get the clampers out asap. Essential

• Administrators Posts: 53,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's a great plan and not before time. Absolutely no need for cars in the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

caff wrote: »
    Have a car but no desire to ever drive to the city centre. I use the luas bus or cycle in.
    I know people who stay away from the city centre as they get out off due to all the traffic and cramped footpaths. Increased pedestrian area would attract more people to the city centre imo.

It's the old "bypass will kill the town" mentality at work still. Getting rid of traffic creates space for everything else. Any downturn is a failure of prep, planning and imagination not a lack of cars.

And I'm aware this topic, while universal, is in the Dublin City forum where there is by far the greatest number of viable alternatives to the private car.

Advertisement