Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭endainoz

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Listening to 'Young Shakespeare ' freshly released Neil Young live album here in the sun. Visions of sitting in front of the Trailer Park stage about half four of a Friday afternoon listening to Harvest belting out the same tunes with the weekend stretching in front of you. I've changed my mind. It's on again.

Yeah serious cans weather here today!

https://journalofmusic.com/focus/how-transform-ireland-s-music-business#.YGcjSNi7IJk.facebook

A long but very interesting article about the music business in Ireland. I love this kind of stuff, might get the guys book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

We tend to beat ourselves up in Ireland quite a bit, "we're the worst", "we have the tightest Lockdowns" etc. The media, particularly tabloids, love spinning this stuff, I guess it appeals to the average Joe who genuinely blindly believe they'd make a great Taoiseach.

I work in a team that has people based in Germany, Sweden, Netherlands and the UK, would speak to them on a daily basis, but also speak to colleagues from all over.
    The reality is we're all in same the boat, Germany, France and Belgium just tightened up restrictions. Different quirks per region, like Germany you can still get a haircut. We tend to look at the most extreme example.

Uk is allowing gardens visits now, Sweden hasn't locked down, but have masks and mass gathering restrictions, but you can still go and have a pint in a pub, Colleague sending me pics from the ski slopes, big easter past time there.

I'm giving EP a 30/40% chance of happening. I heard a radio add saying everyone will have received a vaccine by end of June!!

For me it's the lack of clarity for the organisers and potential for kick back on licence + local outcry that's the real risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I see the Offspring have announced solo show in November, would have liked them to be at a picnic........if we ever have one...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Fatfrog wrote: »
    We tend to beat ourselves up in Ireland quite a bit, "we're the worst", "we have the tightest Lockdowns" etc.
    I see the Offspring......if we ever have one...

We're all suffering from low self esteem at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,297 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

We're all suffering from low self esteem at the moment

Unfortunately, because of covid, when it comes to crowds, we gotta keep 'em separated...

everlast75 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, because of covid, when it comes to crowds, we gotta keep 'em separated...

The crowds do need to come back though, especially the younger generation, it's easy for anyone to see that the kids aren't alright.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

everlast75 wrote: »

That's true, you dont want make a bad habit of large groups before we are vaccinated, but I dont think we are a million miles away from that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭patch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

patch wrote: »

I guess that's no teenagers to kick in September then. Hopefully it's an age appropriate lineup and I'd like to order Wire and Heaven 17 for starters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

patch wrote: »

Surely if fully vaccinated people are allowed to go to outdoor shows/festivals then that should be fine for indoor gigs? Like going to a festival there will be times when you are standing/squashed by people in the different tents/stages throughout the weekend.

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2021/0408/1208696-vaccine-passports-crowds-stadiums-gaa/

A bit more on the subject, I guess I'd be fine with this but I'd be awfully sickened missing some class gig because of not having a vaccine passport. Having said that, it would ensure the looney antivaxxers definitely won't be there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

endainoz wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2021/0408/1208696-vaccine-passports-crowds-stadiums-gaa/

A bit more on the subject, I guess I'd be fine with this but I'd be awfully sickened missing some class gig because of not having a vaccine passport. Having said that, it would ensure the looney antivaxxers definitely won't be there.

With sporting events, they are playing in the stadium anyway, so if they can fit in 100, 1000 or 5,000 fans it means they get more revenue / lose less from the match.

However, with gigs, they need a certain critical mass of people. I doubt Bruce Springsteen etc would play to 5,000 people. Maybe the Olympia would be willing to open up for a relatively small crowd of vaccinated people, but the bigger places would be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Tago Mago

Daniel O'Donnell highest grossing touring artist of 2021 nailed on, at current rate of jabs. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, at least they're broaching the subject...

No issue at all with vaccine passports, providing all adults have had the opportunity in time for EP, being quite a way down the priority list in age. :P

Revisit the matter again in a few years, hopefully as the plague dissipates.

I've more of an issue with masks at gigs tbh, fook that. (saw it trialled in Barcelona)

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Daniel O'Donnell highest grossing touring artist of 2021 nailed on, at current rate of jabs. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, at least they're broaching the subject...

No issue at all with vaccine passports, providing all adults have had the opportunity in time for EP, being quite a way down the priority list in age. :P

Revisit the matter again in a few years, hopefully as the plague dissipates.

I've more of an issue with masks at gigs tbh, fook that. (saw it trialled in Barcelona)

I'd do it, the venues would obviously have to be dry. But unworkable in a festival context, and in Irish venues with people smuggling drink in, etc.

While we still don't have any confirmation of EP happening in September, I just saw confirmation that the Doolin folk festival will be happening this year in September. It's a no brainer for any folk heads out there.

endainoz wrote: »
    While we still don't have any confirmation of EP happening in September, I just saw confirmation that the Doolin folk festival will be happening this year in September. It's a no brainer for any folk heads out there.

Sounds great. I'm keen on that as a family thing. Would they try to move it all outdoors? No lineup yet as far as i can see but always decent.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Sounds great. I'm keen on that as a family thing. Would they try to move it all outdoors? No lineup yet as far as i can see but always decent.

Not really sure what the set up with be to be honest, as far as I can tell it's the same venue. They do have a bit of space to use if the need a more outdoor element. I was happy to suggest they return to the old festival site if they needed the space!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Stillill42

In an alternate universe, I'd be up to my neck in line up stuff, giddy with anticipation, for example, at what we might snaffle from the End of the Road (still on, as things stand) roster. Never really gave Big Thief a chance but loving them right now.

Jaysus, watching Spirits in the Forest, the Depeche Mode film on Sky Arts. Wow, those concert scenes, it's quite emotional watching them. God I hope we're back soon lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

Mr.S wrote: »
    Vaccinated or not, there have been a couple of indoor test concerts (I think Primavera are behind the Barcelona ones) over the last couple of weeks: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56556451.

I don't think that's scalable though, given the logistics and costs. Imagine promoters having to do that for every concert :D

Simple Minds 3 Arena rescheduled from 24th August to next April! Few days before the picnic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Bruce2008 wrote: »
    Simple Minds 3 Arena rescheduled from 24th August to next April! Few days before the picnic!

Not being blindly naive, but I feel like its an Easy one for simple minds, if in doubt reschedule. Instead of making money in Aug, they need to wait a few months.

EP on the other hand isn't so fortunate, they have 1 date, if missed its +1year.

Snarky Snark Snark

**** it, I am going with 508 sleeps till EP.

Boo! Et tu, Brutus?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,297 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Hold the line dude, hold the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Called my GP today to find out my cohort, I'm actually cohort 7 so not going to get my first inoculation till either May, June or later judging by the latest in the Astrazeneca fiasco, so first half of summer off the cards for gigs and festies anyway until I get a complete inoculation.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Called my GP today to find out my cohort, I'm actually cohort 7 so not going to get my first inoculation till either May, June or later judging by the latest in the Astrazeneca fiasco, so first half of summer off the cards for gigs and festies anyway until I get a complete inoculation.

I thought they would be much further advanced by June. Werent they talking about having a millions jabs a month for the next three months?

Snarky Snark Snark

I thought they would be much further advanced by June. Werent they talking about having a millions jabs a month for the next three months?

might have been but the AZ / J&J kerfuffle is screwing a lot of things up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I guess its a while since you heard "you're too young" eh?

I am pretty much the same age as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭rubick

Had my first vaccine as of last Friday, the Astrazeneca one. No side effects thankfully, aside from a little insomnia that night.
    Scheduled for my 2nd dose on my birthday in June.

All anti-bodied up with nowhere to go.

Advertisement