Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But it's not the money. Strava get to sell your data, you are not the customer. They are now saying that the deal is totally one sided. They get your data for free, but you must pay for what they have.
    cletus wrote: »
    They're not necessarily doing anything wrong with your data, but the fact is they profit from it by selling it on, the tacit agreement being you get to use our product, and we get to use your data.

Now, though, they're saying you have to pay to use our product, but we still get to sell your data

These are the key points for me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The issue is that even with selling of aggreated user data, the company is still unprofitable. I suppose it could stop selling that data and instead start charging subscribers more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Is it not very simply, the money men want to make their money back.

They will either make a load, if a big percentage pay, or lose if the thing dies away as users get p1ssed of leave/choose other platforms.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I honestly don't have a problem with them selling my anonymised data, which after all I've effectively published to a public forum. It would nice to see them making it freely to academic and non-profit users though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭cletus

The issue is that even with selling of aggreated user data, the company is still unprofitable. I suppose it could stop selling that data and instead start charging subscribers more?

They've had some big rounds of funding, they have income from aggregated data selling, and a higher than normal (over 100%) income from subscriptions when compared to other freemium products. They also have (had?) a very loyal user base.

I wonder is their inability to be profitable based around a lack of income, or poor management.

Either way, telling your unsubscribed users that the data that the users provide will now be behind a paywall, while still monetising that data in other ways, seems, at the very least, to be a mis-step

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

One of the main things that the article I linked to above brought into focus for me was that much of the VC funding that came in seemed to be spent on stuff that the current users be they free or subscribers didn't want and none of it (or very little) on stuff that they were constantly looking for or to be fixed.

For me the main thing that came to mind was activity search, say I'm going away for the weekend to Mayo and I want to bring the bike, you'd think a great way to find some nice route would be to search Strava for routes of x length with y meters of climbing starting in Westport, you used to be able to, it never worked very well but instead of fixing it it was removed....

Fine, high flyers are brought in to innovate and be ahead of the crowd, but you have to make sure the basics work as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

No route planning on the free version so bye bye strava. Only thing i use it for really that gave i the edge over other platforms

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why not pay for it so if that feature is of use to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I can use komoot to do the same thing

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

cletus wrote: »
    They've had some big rounds of funding, they have income from aggregated data selling, and a higher than normal (over 100%) income from subscriptions when compared to other freemium products. They also have (had?) a very loyal user base.

I wonder is their inability to be profitable based around a lack of income, or poor management.

A lot of is explained in the blog posting by Cosmo Catalano someone posted earlier.

They raised a whole load of VC money and spaffed it all on features nobody really wanted/needed. By simply raising that money you're luanching youself on a path that's difficult to turn around from in that a.) you have to spend it and b.) you have to think big.

What they should have done is stop trying to be an amalgam of Facebook and TrainingPeaks and instead concentrate on getting their revenues from what users do want.

In short, what they're doing now, they should have done five years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I wonder if Google could move into this space at some point, they have most of the tools already built for the Maps platform.

I like Strava, I'd pay a couple of euros a month for it maybe, but not what they're asking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I wouldn't like to see Google move into that space, I feel like they're too heavily involved in everything as it is. I'm even started to try to use less of their products when I can, not that it's too easy these days, plus in fairness they do many things very well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sure if you use a google phone and don't disable location settings, they are tracking you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

one option they could have offered was a half price offer - what was previously free being offered for say 30 quid a month. you'd have seen a flight of people bailing from the full price offer to that, possibly made up for by the number of people willing to pay the 30 but not the 60.

I think they missed a trick here, the original format was paid or unpaid, then they bought in all the gimmicky options such as 'summit' so even paying didn't give you everything, I think that was a bad move.

I think they should have 2 payment options, premium for everything and then standard for what they took away recently (such as segments) and as you say charge half price for the first year for those paying an annual fee opposed to a monthly fee which should be around 2.50 for the standard package and 5.00 then maybe for the Premium.

At the moment I cannot justify paying 5.00 a month for a few features I barely use and don't really miss but 2.50 would be OK for me, the half price initial offer then gets people 'hooked' and generates revenue for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

I spent some time on my desktop this morning with garmin connect, I never really did before because sharing garmin data to strava was so easy, So I created a route or course as they call it and sent it to my 520 and I plan to see how good it is over the weekend, it's also got segments, and groups, I've created a group for some friends who don't want to pay for strava, anyhoo overall I am impressed with it, bottom line it's got more features than strava the only thing it's missing is more users moving to it to create the social aspect that appeals to so many strava users.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭cletus

I find the course creator on garmin connect excellent. Especially the automatic option, particularly it you're in a place you're not familiar with

Just updated strava on my phone there and the monthly number of activities , time and distance are back at the top of my feed.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Anyone know if it's possible to see the percentage of road/gravel etc for a given spin on the 'new' Strava? I know you can in the route builder but not sure about after a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

i've been offered the beta program on it (i've a google pixel, not sure if that is relevant), and i seem to have a few new options after updating the app. it was due an update anyway, so i'm not sure what might be beta and what might be already in the app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

3pay declined my sub to Strava this morning.

Anyone had similar issues? Is this option no longer available with Strava?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

dahat wrote: »

Can only say applied for premium with 6 week free trial on the Web interface over the weekend and the 2 payment methods offered were credit card and PayPal.

colm18 wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's possible to see the percentage of road/gravel etc for a given spin on the 'new' Strava? I know you can in the route builder but not sure about after a ride.

Don't know but created a route over the weekend and it was showing some of it as off road. It was clearly all paved but one man's "paved road" could be another's off

Over the weekend training log access forced you to register for the trial. I did with PayPal and am likely to let them take the 48stg at trial end. I suppose what they are doing will work from a short term revenue perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I was just catching up with the Three credit spending thread now and it looks like there might be tech issues (due to updates?) at the moment: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113541611&postcount=1785
    (Haven't bought anything there myself for a couple of weeks)

Can only say applied for premium with 6 week free trial on the Web interface over the weekend and the 2 payment methods offered were credit card and PayPal.
    I was just catching up with the Three credit spending thread now and it looks like there might be tech issues (due to updates?) at the moment: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113541611&postcount=1785
    (Haven't bought anything there myself for a couple of weeks)

It does seems that there is issues with 3 pay alright. I've subbed a month through normal cc but will pay for the year if 3pay option is removed in full going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

It does seems that there is issues with 3 pay alright. I've subbed a month through normal cc but will pay for the year if 3pay option is removed in full going forward.
    Do you mean try to pay for 12 months with 3pay in one go? I think there's a daily limit on credit use - maybe 30 euro?

Do you mean try to pay for 12 months with 3pay in one go? I think there's a daily limit on credit use - maybe 30 euro?

No, it was monthly as per last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Is there any way to make a reverse segment for an existing segment?

A-B segment exists but I want B-A as a segment as well.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Advertisement

yep, on a full fat browser window, open the activity you have done which contains the segment you want, and you''l see at the bottom of the left hand menu an option with three dots. click that and the top of the sub-menu has the option to create a new segment.

Advertisement