Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out - bicycle recommendations megathread (see summary in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that bike is absolutely fine - the biggest factor in whether it's the right bike for you will be buying the correct size, so it's comfortable.

Another option in that price range would be a Giant Contend 2 https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/contend-2-2019

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

This article pretty much sums up all your options but the one you posted was grand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So finally got my voucher from work and went to the bike shop to see what to do next.

I was going for a Trek G3 but they are discontinued so now looking at a G2 or a Bianci

Dunnow what model Bianci but from looking on the web they seem to be expensive so I suspect it's one of their base models

If you were choosing between Trek and Bianci would you have a clear preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

- intended use : leisure. a couple of trips a week. C. 10Km round trip. Hilly country roads but not off-road.

- budget: under 1000?

- using the bike to work scheme : not unless it's available to people who work from home :)

- willing to consider going secondhand: only if there's a 1 year guarantee

- using the bike in wet weather: Not when going out; may be unlucky coming back.

- carrying: packed lunch at most, not shopping/kids/goods.

- how tall : 5'10, 75-80Kg.

- woman's bike or man's bike: both.

- health issues: one of us is a senior with low-level asthma. I would have assumed electric bikes would be too expensive but I've seen them priced under 1000; don't know if those ones are any good.

- local bike shop: almost certainly, not a tinkerer so will need maintenance services. So I assume we can't take advantage of online discount sales.

- experience: last cycled 30 years ago.

• Advertisement

Definitely go to your local bike shop, from your post I would even say only buy second hand if it's in your lbs.

Anyone who is taxed is eligible for the bike work scheme so it's a good way of adding a few € to your budget.

Any new bike from around 1000 in fact from probably around 400, is capable of holding 20kph on flat at walking effort, 10kph uphill as long as it is not to steep.

With the greens in government it is possible that a scheme to make ebikes more accessories launched. At 1000 I think the battery or the other parts on an ebike mighnt be the best.

Also consider do you want a flat bar (hybrid) vs drop bars(gravel/road bike).
    Flat bars are generally less rewarding for your efforts in other wards slower but are easier to handle and are a little bit more comfortable
    Drop bar bikes are usally faster (usally it's not acctually the drop bars but other difference that add up) but are harder to handle.

Also dont get anything that hasn't got mounts for pannier racks and mud guards

I'd definitely pop into a local shop and outline your needs. You don't need to break the bank to potter around on your local roads. Something like a hybrid style bike from Giant or Liv start from around €400 Like a Giant Escape or Liv Alight for women. Other well regarded brands that many shops sell would be Trek, Merida and Cube.

I'd avoid lesser known brands at that end of the market though and unless your roads are particularly bad avoid front suspension as it just adds unnecessary weight to the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ronsoap

Hi! First time bike buyer here, buying through B2W. Looking for insight on two bikes I looked at this afternoon. Have been cycling for years, but using dublinbikes/bleeperbike. Excited to finally get a bike of my own!

Intended use: Commute of 7-8km. Alongside short city trips on w/e, and occasional longer trips (canals, coast roads etc.)
    Budget: €1000ish all-in, including helmet, locks etc.
    Using the bike in wet weather: Yes. Intention is to cycle year round
    How tall you are: Male, 190cm

I looked at two Trek bikes today, both hybrids but different specs:

The first was the Trek FX 3 Equipped. €929 with lights, guards, rack. Felt like a quick, responsive bike. Enjoyable to cycle, but let's just say I felt the bumps in the road more than I'm used to on the likes of a dublinbike.

The second I looked at was the Trek Dual Sport 2. It's €619, but is not equipped like the FX 3. With add ons it would likely come to €770ish. The bike was really comfy to ride. Much smoother/comfier than the FX 3, but didn't feel as speedy or agile. It has suspension at the front, but you can supposedly lock it.

I've seen a lot of people saying to avoid suspension at the front, as it's unnecessary and heavy. Interestingly both bikes weigh about the same, but the DS 2 would be heavier once the accessories are on it. Is Trek a decent brand? Are there any other brands within a similar price range that would be 'better'? They've looked like the only ones available, and am wondering why this is...

I'm at a loss as to which one to choose, if I ultimately decide on a Trek bike. The lads in the shops I went to seemed to prefer the FX 3, but I'm wondering if that's to do with the cost? I liked both bikes, for different reasons. I guess I just need to decide what's most important for me, but I'd appreciate any insights on the two models!

Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

trek are a 'ford' brand. as in one of the big players, so compete with anyone else on value and it'd be hard to fault their bikes. giant would be the most easily comparable brand in ways, worth checking them out too, if there's a retailer near you who stocks them.

the only things the dual sport 2 has over the FX3 is that it's cheaper, and it has the suspension fork. the frames seem to be made from the same stuff, however, and they're not light years apart in spec other than that.
    the dual sport 2 just seems to be the FX2 disc with the suspension forks, however.

it's possible the tyres were pumped beyond the pressure you might need, so the extra road buzz you mentioned is not necessarily something which might be an issue. i certainly wouldn't base conclusions compared to a dublin bike, i can't imagine they're lively or give much feedback.
    best bet is try a couple of other shops and try some other bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Hows it goings lads! Haven't cycled very much in years but miss the freedom and personal experience of being able to jump on a bike over the Luas or bus.

- what is the intended use of the bike - I live in Citywest and work in the city centre so I am not sure about commute just yet because of the type of roads and the distance. I will likely consider it when I get my self more comfortable on the road again. Id like it for leisure/fitness and general use.

- what is your budget - Hopefully 700 and under including any needed accessory's.

- are you using the bike to work scheme - Its an option as my boss mentioned it but its not essential.

- are you willing to consider going secondhand - Yes if everything is in great condition and won't cost me more down the line.

- will you be using the bike in wet weather - Considering its Ireland more than likely :p

- how tall you are - 6ft4

- are you looking for a woman's bike ora man's bike - Men's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

ronsoap wrote: »
    Hi! First time bike buyer here, buying through B2W. Looking for insight on two bikes I looked at this afternoon. Have been cycling for years, but using dublinbikes/bleeperbike. Excited to finally get a bike of my own!

Intended use: Commute of 7-8km. Alongside short city trips on w/e, and occasional longer trips (canals, coast roads etc.)
    Budget: €1000ish all-in, including helmet, locks etc.
    Using the bike in wet weather: Yes. Intention is to cycle year round
    How tall you are: Male, 190cm

I looked at two Trek bikes today, both hybrids but different specs:

The first was the Trek FX 3 Equipped. €929 with lights, guards, rack. Felt like a quick, responsive bike. Enjoyable to cycle, but let's just say I felt the bumps in the road more than I'm used to on the likes of a dublinbike.

The second I looked at was the Trek Dual Sport 2. It's €619, but is not equipped like the FX 3. With add ons it would likely come to €770ish. The bike was really comfy to ride. Much smoother/comfier than the FX 3, but didn't feel as speedy or agile. It has suspension at the front, but you can supposedly lock it.

I've seen a lot of people saying to avoid suspension at the front, as it's unnecessary and heavy. Interestingly both bikes weigh about the same, but the DS 2 would be heavier once the accessories are on it. Is Trek a decent brand? Are there any other brands within a similar price range that would be 'better'? They've looked like the only ones available, and am wondering why this is...

I'm at a loss as to which one to choose, if I ultimately decide on a Trek bike. The lads in the shops I went to seemed to prefer the FX 3, but I'm wondering if that's to do with the cost? I liked both bikes, for different reasons. I guess I just need to decide what's most important for me, but I'd appreciate any insights on the two models!

Thanks!

I had both bikes and the FX is a much better bike. It's faster, more agile and better built. I'd say stick a pair of commuter Schwalbe Marathon Plus Road Tyres on it and that will increase the comfort a good bit. See if the shop will do a deal throwing a set of those tyres on it for you.

The ds is a good bike too for the money but I never used the suspension that much. When I did, it bottomed out very quickly. It was a heavy bike also. I had a 2019 model. The paint work on it was crap too. The slightest touch off it and it would chip.

Cube would be another range to look at. They are competing with trek and giant and tend to be good value for money.

Penny farthing in the city centre have a few bikes around your price range in the store with the three brands mentioned so it might be worth popping into them if you are close.

Hows it goings lads! Haven't cycled very much in years but miss the freedom and personal experience of being able to jump on a bike over the Luas or bus.

- what is the intended use of the bike - I live in Citywest and work in the city centre so I am not sure about commute just yet because of the type of roads and the distance. I will likely consider it when I get my self more comfortable on the road again. Id like it for leisure/fitness and general use.

- what is your budget - Hopefully 700 and under including any needed accessory's.

- are you using the bike to work scheme - Its an option as my boss mentioned it but its not essential.

- are you willing to consider going secondhand - Yes if everything is in great condition and won't cost me more down the line.

- will you be using the bike in wet weather - Considering its Ireland more than likely :p

Question 1 do you want a road bike or flat bar commuter?

Tony04 wrote: »
    Question 1 do you want a road bike or flat bar commuter?

Well I've mainly been looking at Hybrid bikes per recommendations.

If you're just commuting and not really going cycling as a sport a hybrid is probably best. Dont go for something with a suspension fork though it just adds unnecessary weight.
    At 700 I'd go for something with hydraulic disc brakes definitely a decent drivetrain (not tourney/ atlus) and carbon forks would be nice as they get the weight down

And get the b2w scheme to pay for accessories.

If you're just commuting and not really going cycling as a sport a hybrid is probably best. Dont go for something with a suspension fork though it just adds unnecessary weight.
    At 700 I'd go for something with hydraulic disc brakes definitely a decent drivetrain (not tourney/ atlus) and carbon forks would be nice as they get the weight down

Any recommendations on what bike? Noticed bascially everything half decent is either out of stock or not in right size.

I was in eurocycles swords there and they seemed to have some hybrids in stock but I wasnt really looking at them. Like with most shops they're just waiting for whichever brands they sell to launch their 2021 range.

Problem is Chinese/Asian lockdown in February stopped production of bikes and then the surge in demand from western lockdown cleared the stock out

If you're out in city west try giant long mile eurocycles long mile and specialized browns barn, you might find something.

How urgent do you need it?

What's your size if you're comfable setting a bike up from out of the box you could buy online?

Second hand market isnt that great atm but if you find something go for it

I was in eurocycles swords there and they seemed to have some hybrids in stock but I wasnt really looking at them. Like with most shops they're just waiting for whichever brands they sell to launch their 2021 range.

Problem is Chinese/Asian lockdown in February stopped production of bikes and then the surge in demand from western lockdown cleared the stock out

If you're out in city west try giant long mile eurocycles long mile and specialized browns barn, you might find something.

How urgent do you need it?

What's your size if you're comfable setting a bike up from out of the box you could buy online?

Second hand market isnt that great atm but if you find something go for it

I'm not in a massive rush atm but still would like to start getting an idea of what out there I should be looking at as I've only recently started looking properly again.

According to the chart on the Giant website, I would be going for large as I'm 6ft4. I've never set up a bike before maybe be best to leave it to the pros!?

I have been hearing a lot about Giant Trek and Cube but again the models I've been looking at are all out of stock.

Stock is very random atm.

If your 6ft 4 your most likely xl definitely on the high end of the spectrum

Building something online isnt hard it's a bit like a flat pack and if it's been built well before shipping and not bashed around while although if you're not in a rush your probably best waiting.

Lads in eurocycles seemed to indicate that 2021 stuff would be launched mid August so then you can place an order and you'll have your bike in a few weeks so youd be talking mid September and I'd presume itd be the same in most shops.

In terms of bikes theres a lot of the same at that price if your talking hybrids like the giant escape trek fx and merida speeder. Then you've got better specced bikes like cubes, boardman in halfords vitus if you go online etc.

What I'd reccomend is go as light as possible hydraulic discs and the best groupset you can afford, if your only commuting go for a hybrid if your planning on going on cycles go for a road bike.

If your going online this canyon is a really good bike for the price 800 for the bike though
    https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/hybrid-city/citybikes/roadlite/roadlite-al-6.0/1967.html?dwvar_1967_pv_rahmenfarbe=BU&dwvar_1967_pv_rahmengroesse=XL&quantity=1

Stock is very random atm.

If your 6ft 4 your most likely xl definitely on the high end of the spectrum

Building something online isnt hard it's a bit like a flat pack and if it's been built well before shipping and not bashed around while although if you're not in a rush your probably best waiting.

Lads in eurocycles seemed to indicate that 2021 stuff would be launched mid August so then you can place an order and you'll have your bike in a few weeks so youd be talking mid September and I'd presume itd be the same in most shops.

In terms of bikes theres a lot of the same at that price if your talking hybrids like the giant escape trek fx and merida speeder. Then you've got better specced bikes like cubes, boardman in halfords vitus if you go online etc.

What I'd reccomend is go as light as possible hydraulic discs and the best groupset you can afford, if your only commuting go for a hybrid if your planning on going on cycles go for a road bike.

If your going online this canyon is a really good bike for the price 800 for the bike though
    https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/hybrid-city/citybikes/roadlite/roadlite-al-6.0/1967.html?dwvar_1967_pv_rahmenfarbe=BU&dwvar_1967_pv_rahmengroesse=XL&quantity=1

Well thanks for all the help ill keep looking around!! :D

• Advertisement

Good luck with purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Well I've mainly been looking at Hybrid bikes per recommendations.

Don't rule out a road bike tbh. Definitely try one out - may give you more flexibility down the road (pub intended!) for longer spins

Don't rule out a road bike tbh. Definitely try one out - may give you more flexibility down the road (pub intended!) for longer spins

What would be the more comfortable bike to ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

What would be the more comfortable bike to ride?

I've never tried a hybrid but started out after years without cycling on a road and adapted quickly enough. I REALLY like the hand position on the hoods - I think some road bikes and more relaxed / comfortable that others so that could be an option?

I've never tried a hybrid but started out after years without cycling on a road and adapted quickly enough. I REALLY like the hand position on the hoods - I think some road bikes and more relaxed / comfortable that others so that could be an option?

I'll consider every option sure. Passed couple bike shops in last day or two but they where fairly busy so haven't actually gotten into looking at them in person yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Good deal to be had on it for a Boardsie. Should tick all your boxes if going second hand and it will fit you.

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/giant-defy-1/25270819

^ that's a really nice starter bike
    If you got a bikefit on it it would be super comfortable aswell

I'll have a proper look at it in a bit thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

- what is the intended use of the bike
    Dropping my son to pre-school (3KM) using bike seat, some commuting & cycling with kids when they are older. I already have a road bike, so this new bike wont be doing any real long spins
    - what is your budget
    €1K
    - are you using the bike to work scheme
    Yes
    - aer you willing to consider going secondhand
    No
    - will you be using the bike in wet weather
    yes, need mudguards, pannier racks and bike kickstand
    - how tall you are
    6 foot 1
    - are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike
    Man's Bike

I really like the look of this Trek; https://www.theedge-sports.com/cycling-c18/bikes-c19/hybrid-bikes-c200/trek-fx-3-disc-eq-2020-p26959 but it's out of stock and not known when it will be in. There seems to be no Large hybrid bikes anywhere in Cork.

I found Halfords have a couple of Boardman bikes alright ;https://www.halfords.ie/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hyb-8.6-mens-hybrid-bike-2021---silver---s%2C-m%2C-l-frames-366198.html

This one is also in stock in another LBS, but it has shocks which I heard are a pain to maintain; https://kross.eu/en/bikes/tour/trekking/trans-9-0-graphite-silver-matte

I'd be willing to buy online if the company could process Bike2Work.

Any other idea's to get a bike in the next couple of weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

- what is the intended use of the bike (commuting/leisure/just going for a spin with the kids, etc.)

: Commuting and leisure, as in using the bike with a child carrier to go for cycles around parks/greenways, that type of thing. I would ideally be looking to take two small kids, the youngest on the front, the oldest that the back.
    As mentioned, would also be my day to day commuter, when not out with the kids.

- what is your budget

: Open on this, not an issue, if the bike is right.

- are you using the bike to work scheme (this rules out secondhand bikes, and depending on your employer, potentially what bike shops you can use)

: yes

- aer you willing to consider going secondhand

: maybe

- will you be using the bike in wet weather

: Probably, yes

- how tall you are

: 5' 10" or so

- are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike

Mans bike.

Advertisement