Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out - bicycle recommendations megathread (see summary in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

I took a spin on a second hand Giant Defy today, size M. Really nice bike and seemed in very good condition.
    I correctly measured myself at 5'8, inseam of 32cm which should have made the M perfect from the charts.
    If felt much too small. The saddle height felt fine but my knees were an inch from my arms when pedalling. If I stood up I felt like I'd go over the handlebars. The seller tried to raise the bars but couldn't figure it out and I didn't want to go fiddling with it as I didn't know either.
    Could the small feel be me being used to a mountain bike, or would raising the handlebars make much difference?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

cletus wrote: »
    True. There's a difference between a steel handlebar and a carbon one. The question is, are we (any given cyclist) in a position to make use of or take advantage of the difference.

I guess it depends on how marginal the speed difference is and how exponentially it grows depending on your level of fitness. So a carbon bar might gain you second or two over the whole Tour de France, but it is not going to be the deciding factor in whether you or Johnny gets the KOM up the local hill. But in reality its fitness which is going to make the biggest difference.

Then imo theres also the difference of durability. I'd pay the extra for 1 x 11/12 mtb drivetrain than a 3x8 because it's much easier to maintain. In regards to the op if you save 150 or so from a budget on buying sora and you spent that money on buying a good quality tool kit to maintain your drivetrain youd be much better off. At the same time tiagra would be better for, than Sora, and perfectly fine for racing, as it is the exact same, bar weight which is again a marginal difference, to what was being used 10 years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

.red. wrote: »
    Could the small feel be me being used to a mountain bike, or would raising the handlebars make much difference?
    Thanks.
    too hard to tell without seeing you on it. one question i'd ask would be in relation so saddle position, forward or back; it may be that the saddle was pushed too far forward?

I took a spin on a second hand Giant Defy today, size M. Really nice bike and seemed in very good condition.
    I correctly measured myself at 5'8, inseam of 32cm which should have made the M perfect from the charts.
    If felt much too small. The saddle height felt fine but my knees were an inch from my arms when pedalling. If I stood up I felt like I'd go over the handlebars. The seller tried to raise the bars but couldn't figure it out and I didn't want to go fiddling with it as I didn't know either.
    Thanks.
    Are you sure the seatpost is set high enough. Yeh road bikes would lean you a little more over the front than mountain bikes. Do you have photos?

too hard to tell without seeing you on it. one question i'd ask would be in relation so saddle position, forward or back; it may be that the saddle was pushed too far forward?
    Tony04 wrote: »
    Are you sure the seatpost is set high enough. Yeh road bikes would lean you a little more over the front than mountain bikes. Do you have photos?

The ad has since been removed but I was able to screenshot the cover picture from saved ads on done deal, tiny pic zoomed in so quality is poor.
    The saddle does seem forward so could have come back a little.
    When I was sitting on it and holding the top bars, the bike felt lovely. When I held the down bars my knees felt very close to my arms, maybe this is normal but felt alien to me.
    When I stood up from the saddle everything felt wrong, again this could have just been me not knowing what a road bike should feel like.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i only ever use the drops at most maybe 1% or 2% of the time. i usually cycle with my hands on the hoods, i.e. hooked over the brakes/shifters.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

I was in 360 cycle today. The two bikes I was recommended where Merida Speeder 100D and Ridgeback THREE6FIVE. Any thoughts on these bikes

not a huge amount between them really; the brakes are identical, and from a practical point of view the biggest difference is probably that the ridgeback is a 1x10 and the merida is 3x8 (i.e. the ridgeback has a single chainring on the front, but the merida has a triple ring).
    the merida thus would have a slightly easier granny gear for steep hills, but if you don't plan on tackling those, the single ring ridgeback might be less faff.
    the frame on the merida is likely to be a little better, all other things being equal - it's made from a slightly higher grade of aluminium.
    but the gears on the ridgeback - deore - would be better quality.

i suspect it's one of those things that if you can get a test ride on each, go with whichever one feels more comfortable.

This might be a stupid question but here goes....
    How accurate is the size chart? As I said in a previous post I cycled a Giant yesterday that according to the charts, was perfectly sized (M) for me in every way but felt much too small.
    The next size up (ML) should be too big, according to the size chart. Coming from a mountain bike I don't know if the complete change of everything about the road bike is making me feel it's sized wrong.
    Not knowing what size I want/need, I'm finding it very difficult to narrow down bikes to go look at. Keeping it relatively local due to restrictions is making it even harder.
    I don't have an LBS near me open either to go have a look and don't really know anybody who cycles to get advice or opinions from.

Most geometry charts should be reasonably accurate as if they weren't brands would not sell as many bikes. Theres a lot of videos on YouTube channels like GCN that can offer you plenty of advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

If you look at my other thread ...
    I'm 5.10, i had ML and it was one size too big for me. It felt too big as well as i was always over stretched. However being a newbie, it took me few yrs to ask and thanks to Tony and MagicB for suggesting to sell and buy a smaller one. I always thought other ppl bikes were too small when in fact my own bike was too big :) You are 5.8 so M must be the right size for you. Perhaps go to shop and try a M if you have doubts.

Hi all,

My Mrs is unable to ride a bike because of medical conditions. We're moving out to the country, about a ten minute cycle to the nearest shop/school.

We thought we'd get her an e-trike, and we'd fit a child's seat on to it. The child is 2, and about 12kg)

However, the e-trike we found in the nearest bike shop doesn't appear to take a child's seat anywhere. Link here

Our budget is 2 grand, can't go higher than that.

Would you guys know if such an e-trike exists, that fits our measly budget? What I am leaning to now is to buy a manual trike (with child seat) second hand and convert it to an e-trike.

Thoughts much appreciated, thanks

Edit: fixed link

This might be a stupid question but here goes....
    How accurate is the size chart? As I said in a previous post I cycled a Giant yesterday that according to the charts, was perfectly sized (M) for me in every way but felt much too small.
    i'm between 5'7" and 5'8" and all three of my main bikes are size S (two different manufacturers).
    as mentioned, you will only rarely go into the drops, so don't sweat that too much, and if you google image search 'cycling in the drops' you'll find plenty of photos showing a position similar to the one in this link:

https://www.wenzelcoaching.com/blog/learn-to-ride-in-the-drops/

However, the e-trike we found in the nearest bike shop doesn't appear to take a child's seat anywhere. ( https://www.marreybike...icycle-e-trike.html)
    link is borked, i think this is the one?
    https://www.marreybikes.com/hybrid-bikes/10502-e-mission-electric-tricycle-e-trike.html

might be worth giving the bike shop a shout and explaining your situation; they'd probably be happy to assist?

link is borked, i think this is the one?
    https://www.marreybikes.com/hybrid-bikes/10502-e-mission-electric-tricycle-e-trike.html

might be worth giving the bike shop a shout and explaining your situation; they'd probably be happy to assist?

Yep, that's the one. I emailed the shop, and the owner got back to me saying they can't see how a child's seat could fit on it.

What I'm now thinking is getting a local fabricator to make a box, with a lid at the rear, hinged below, for storage and bolt holes for a child seat on the top.

This could get bolted in in place of the rear basket, and as the child gets older, we can swap out her baby seat for a child's seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

Yep, that's the one. I emailed the shop, and the owner got back to me saying they can't see how a child's seat could fit on it.

What I'm now thinking is getting a local fabricator to make a box, with a lid at the rear, hinged below, for storage and bolt holes for a child seat on the top.

This could get bolted in in place of the rear basket, and as the child gets older, we can swap out her baby seat for a child's seat.

Would it be easier and less expensive to fit a child trailer?

https://www.marreybikes.com/childrens-bike-accessories/6452-ammaco-lightweight-alloy-kids-trailer.html

Edit: Found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pspr4td3zo4

Thanks for the replies lads, I rang back the seller and the bike was gone 45mins after I left yesterday. Pity I left it slip as it was a better bike than I expected to be able to afford. I'll live and learn.
    I very nearly drove to Halfords this morning to sit on a few bikes and have a feel for sizes but decided against it as I figured it would be packed.
    I'll keep looking anyway, something will turn up.
    Thanks again for all the advice, it's very much appreciated.

just back from a spin, when i'm in the drops i can easily knee myself in the elbows.

one thing people not used to road bikes can find alarming at first is toe overlap - i.e. with your foot rotated fully forward, it can hit the front wheel if the wheel is turned enough. only really an issue at very slow speeds, if you're not used to it.

one thing people not used to road bikes can find alarming at first is toe overlap - i.e. with your foot rotated fully forward, it can hit the front wheel if the wheel is turned enough. only really an issue at very slow speeds,

I'm just back from viewing another bike and I actually had my foot hit the wheel as I went to turn back, luckily I wasn't moving.

The bike was a Cube Peleton Race advertised as in good condition and sized Medium
    Got there and took it for a little spin. Size felt right, very happy with it.
    When I got back I went looking for the actual size and it was a 58, which is probably 2 sizes too big for me. I wasn't buying the bike anyway due to a few issues with it but thankfully I saw the size.
    I'm driving myself demented. One was perfect for me but felt tiny, and another 2 sizes too big felt right.
    Thankfully I know the lads here are putting me right, otherwise I might have bought the 58 earlier if I'd been happier with the condition.
    Thanks lads and apologies if I'm starting to get to anyone.

I'm just back from viewing another bike and I actually had my foot hit the wheel as I went to turn back, luckily I wasn't moving.

The bike was a Cube Peleton Race advertised as in good condition and sized Medium
    Got there and took it for a little spin. Size felt right, very happy with it.
    When I got back I went looking for the actual size and it was a 58, which is probably 2 sizes too big for me. I wasn't buying the bike anyway due to a few issues with it but thankfully I saw the size.
    I'm driving myself demented. One was perfect for me but felt tiny, and another 2 sizes too big felt right.
    Thankfully I know the lads here are putting me right, otherwise I might have bought the 58 earlier if I'd been happier with the condition.
    Thanks lads and apologies if I'm starting to get to anyone.

I'm just under 6ft and my road bike has a 58cm top tube. To be honest for my height a 56cm bike would probably be more comfortable, if I wasnt racing. You do really need to go on a 1hr+ spin to tell if the fit is right or not in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Out for a spin this morning, and when I was in the drops, a thought occured to me.

I can hit my elbows with my knees when in the drops, but with my feet clipped in, my knees come up inside my elbows.

I've noticed a lot of leisure cyclists (for want of a better phrase) who are not clipped, in pedal with the middle of the sole of their foot on the pedal, and their knees flared out. Is this, at least part, of the reason why people are uncomfortable on road bikes?

the optimum position (as far as i understand it) is with the ball of the foot over the pedal axle. obviously, with clips, it's easier to dial in this position and hold it.
    so in that superficial sense, it's 'easier' to get the wrong foot position without clipping in - whether that is more likely to lead to the knees flare out style of cycling, i don't know.

cletus wrote: »

I can hit my elbows with my knees when in the drops, but with my feet clipped in, my knees come up inside my elbows.

I've a dodgy lower back, a few bulging discs. I've tried running and that fecks me up so I can't do it. I've started walking a lot during lockdown and got a loan of a mountain bike and I've been using that a good bit. It's not ideal but I'm getting in plenty of cycles on it. From what is explained here about foot position, I think Ive been doing it correctly without knowing it but will keep an eye on it tomorrow.
    The medium sized Giant I cycled felt small to me, it was very uncomfortable in the drops with my back and that was about 1km up a small hill and back. The larger 58cm Cube felt much better but maybe a little too big.
    The roads I've been walking are busy with cyclists and I've been watching them go by and most are in a similar position on the bike and it looks like something that wouldn't suit me for any length of time.
    Any bike shops near me are still closed so I can't go in and sit on a few to try out.
    I've been thinking that maybe an ML Giant or a 56cm Cube, although, a little big on paper might be better for me with my back. Either that or just look out for a flat bar road bike.
    For now I'll keep going on the mountain bike till I can try a few more bikes and see what is best.
    I'd love a good bike now, but I'd rather wait and get something right than rush in and but something wrong.
    Thanks again for all the replies. Very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

I've a dodgy lower back, a few bulging discs. I've tried running and that fecks me up so I can't do it. I've started walking a lot during lockdown and got a loan of a mountain bike and I've been using that a good bit. It's not ideal but I'm getting in plenty of cycles on it. From what is explained here about foot position, I think Ive been doing it correctly without knowing it but will keep an eye on it tomorrow.
    The medium sized Giant I cycled felt small to me, it was very uncomfortable in the drops with my back and that was about 1km up a small hill and back. The larger 58cm Cube felt much better but maybe a little too big.
    The roads I've been walking are busy with cyclists and I've been watching them go by and most are in a similar position on the bike and it looks like something that wouldn't suit me for any length of time.
    Any bike shops near me are still closed so I can't go in and sit on a few to try out.
    I've been thinking that maybe an ML Giant or a 56cm Cube, although, a little big on paper might be better for me with my back. Either that or just look out for a flat bar road bike.
    For now I'll keep going on the mountain bike till I can try a few more bikes and see what is best.
    I'd love a good bike now, but I'd rather wait and get something right than rush in and but something wrong.
    Thanks again for all the replies. Very much appreciated.

Two very rough and ready rules of thumb for seeing if a bike will fit you, the first is to set your saddle height, in flat soled shoes when you sit on the saddle with your heel on the pedal your leg should be almost straight, when you are pedaling normally with your sole on the pedal your leg shouldn't get close to straightening.

Secondly when you have your saddle height close to correct, when sitting on the saddle and pedaling the handlebars close to the stem should block your view of the wheel hub.

If you can get the saddle height right without excessive seatpost showing and then use the handlebars/hub test then generally the bike is roundabout the correct size and while you may need to make small changes a good fitter should be able to get you comfortable. Of course as with all rules of thumb these don't work for everyone so YMMV.

As an aside Cubes used to tend to size small, in other words a 58 Cube Agree was closer to a 56 of other brands, whether this still applies with newer models I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Quick question, does anyone know a place in Dublin that does E bike hire, considering getting one for the commuting and want to try the route on one first before taking the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cinnamonsticks

Hi All.

I found one of the links from within here (boards)

is there any other reputable online stores that support cycle to work scheme

I am looking to send 800-1350

So far i from lots of googling etc i have come to these bikes.

I was going for a road bike but i think probably gravel would suit my needs better i am never going to be racing others or competing , want the bike to use "Daily" for exercise purposes only- i will compete with myself to continue to get faster etc and tackle harder routes (hills)

im about 5'8-9 overwight by about 2-3stone and inside legs 32 inch

I would prefer if possible - a Grey/Charcoal coloured bike - not something too flashy (neon yellow etc) altough i do like them as well so if the bike recommended is just heaps better than the ones im choosing i will go for whatever is suggested by you more expereinced riders.

https://www.cyclebike.ie/cube-sl-road-race-iridium-green-2020.html

https://www.cyclebike.ie/falco-sport.html

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/mens-bikes/651407.html

Is there more online shops to choose from ? if anyone has links i would appreciate it, also any recommendations appreciated also.
    I would probably prefer something with a bit of comfort alsoi wouldnt be too flexible to have my rear at 4ft while my head is down at 3foot etc :D

Also in regards to the bike i like the look of the disc brakes and hidden cabling in the tubes but not a deal breaker.

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

First thing I'd make sure of is that your employer isn't associated with certain shops - We only associate with Halfords and The Hub.

Secondly - Are you a beginnner? Is there really a need to spend so much? You could get a great set up (Bike, Helmet, Lights, Pump for less than €700 easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cinnamonsticks

Thanks Guys i have sent HR at work if they have a approved list of vendors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Suggestions appreciated. I suppose Halfords would be my best bet

- what is the intended use of the bike (commuting/leisure/just going for a spin with the kids, etc.) - Leisure (5km per day) bar the odd longer cycle at the weekend (60km+ the odd Saturday)

- what is your budget - Up to €1000 for B2W but hoping to spend €750 all in

- are you using the bike to work scheme (this rules out secondhand bikes, and depending on your employer, potentially what bike shops you can use) - Yes, budget of €1000 with Halfords or The Hub (Limerick)

- are you willing to consider going secondhand - N/A

- will you be using the bike in wet weather - More than likely once in a blue moon

- how tall you are - 5'10''

- are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike - Man's

Advertisement