Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What Slave1 got next

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    That says a lot :p

I don't think I have ever manually typed in GPS coordinates into anything :p Probably quicker to get the paper map out and do some old skool navigation (I was good at that) :D
    I did in the leaf too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Frunk actuator and water collection around sunroof repaired today by Ranger at house, didn't get to see for myself as back to the office.
    Also left a few tax disc holders I'd asked for.
    All no hassle under Tesla warranty.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

slave1 wrote: »
    Linky, I went for the 4300K White Yellow option.

Got mine in the post today, thank fook the Chinese stuff is finally starting to arrive. Fitted them in a few minutes and very pleased with the result. My 12 year old noticed them immediately about an hour ago (had told her nothing) and it wasn't even half dark yet. Nice subtle mod and the €9 incl. shipping didn't break the bank :p

Yeah, I’ve been flooded with Aliexpress stuff last week or so, got boot cill covers and they look very well, must post pic when PC on next

And said boot thingys..black aluminum.
    Takes a dull boot and turns it a little, they look way better in real life

Before
    IMG-20200720-211407-1.jpg

After
    IMG-20200720-211841-1.jpg

• Advertisement

So, due to Pandemic backlog finally completed the total purchase.

Paid €1.6k VRT and claimed it all back, Revenue agreed so full refund in today's post.

I'm not going into the exact pricing but in summary...

Model S 85, 151 reg, 39k miles
    Tesla warranty until Oct 22 or another 24k miles.
    HV battery and MCU replaced in the last 6 months, motor replaced in 2018, 3 handles replaced since 2018.
    Dual Chargers
    Upgraded Sound
    AP hardware and enabled
    Brand new Good Years on back and Michelin Primacy on the front
    Smart Air Suspension
    Parking Sensors
    Subzero Package
    Lifetime free Supercharging
    Lifetime free Premium Connectivity
    19inch Alloys and body in near perfect condition

All-in for good bit less than the cost of a brand new Kia e-Soul which retails at €37.5k.
    Happy days.

Nice one. Happy days indeed!

The ultimate family performance car in my book. I thought that moniker was to be reserved for the Model X. But having been up close with it last week, I no longer think that way. With the 7 seats up, there is very little luggage room in the trunk and the frunk is tiny (perhaps just a third in size of our RWD Model S frunks)

Very strange that your HV battery and motor were replaced though. Have you concrete proof of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

So you managed €0 vrt ?

Very strange that your HV battery and motor were replaced though. Have you concrete proof of that?

Not that strange, I came across plenty of examples of battery changes when on the hunt, have the Tesla invoice with battery replacement and also you can see the battery pack code if you take off the front right wheel (as I have done to clean).
    Any issues with these cars and it's much simpler for Tesla just to swap out a refurb pack in 10minutes and send dodgy pack off for refurbishment to be used again.
    Similar paperwork for motor.
    This is the advantage of private purchase, you get your hands on whatever work was carried out during existing ownership, better history of car.
    If you buy off Tesla you get nothing

jhegarty wrote: »
    So you managed €0 vrt ?

Yep, did my homework, polite letter of appeal and just used the guidance from the VRT handbook on the Revenue website

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So you managed €0 vrt ?

And not the first person to get €0 VRT bill buying 2014/2015 MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Delighted you're happy with the car.

If I'm learning one thing from this and the other Model S threads is that you really don't want to own one of these out of warranty!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Gumbo wrote: »
    And not the first person to get €0 VRT bill buying 2014/2015 MS.

I expect they send unkel a cheque instead of charging.

Still strange though a battery and motor replacement on such a new car. There were plenty of problems at the start in 2012 / 2013, particularly with the motors, but most seemed to have been ironed out by about 2014
    I expect they send unkel a cheque instead of charging.

I paid €600 initially but I got it all refunded :)

Orebro wrote: »

If I'm learning one thing from this and the other Model S threads is that you really don't want to own one of these out of warranty!

Battery and drive train are the really expensive bits, but they are all covered for 8 years. So if that worries you, get a 2015, or preferably a 2016 car (for another 4 years of warranty)

The rest is manageable. A UK owner got the repair cost back for the MCU1 replacement out of warranty as he brought Tesla to the small claims court. And there are indies that do the job for GBP500. Much of the rest of the common issues like the door handles can be done DIY

But indeed, I'm not glossing over any of this. A Nissan Leaf or a Hyundai Ioniq would be far more reliable.

Even the oldest RHD Tesla still has 2 years+ of warranty remaining. Not an issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have mine out of general warranty.
    Battery and drivetrain warranty until 2022 though.

Fingers crossed not being jinxed :)

Gumbo wrote: »
    I have mine out of general warranty.
    Battery and drivetrain warranty until 2022 though.

Fingers crossed not being jinxed :)
    I am the same, out of general warranty, Battery/DU warranty till 2024. I had 2 years of CPO warranty but unfortunately I blew through the miles in a couple of months before covid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

I'm watching closely to see how ye get on before making the jump :-)

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I'm watching closely to see how ye get on before making the jump :-)

Fwiw, be ready to jump. Bargains don't hang around.

• Advertisement

+1

Do all your prep first, make sure you can afford to buy it and have plans ready to sort out your finances. Be ready to immediately hit the "buy it now" button if you come across a super bargain. When you do, you have a couple of weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

ELM327 wrote: »
    Even the oldest RHD Tesla still has 2 years+ of warranty remaining. Not an issue.

Until you've owned it two years & want to sell it privately.

Some job shifting an expensive, totally out of warranty, notoriously failure prone & expensive to repair, Tesla :p.

Kramer wrote: »

Some job shifting an expensive, totally out of warranty, notoriously failure prone & expensive to repair, Tesla :p.

The earliest models in the USA are now completely out of warranty, and it doesn't look like the prices of them have collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

The earliest models in the USA are now completely out of warranty, and it doesn't look like the prices of them have collapsed.

Yeah, but the USA has :D.

When I sell mine it will have 2-3 years of drivetrain and battery warranty left.

Exactly, any Tesla from 2012-2014 still on the road now has likely had new battery and/or new drivetrain and a few niggles (door handles) fixed under warranty already

+1

Do all your prep first, make sure you can afford to buy it and have plans ready to sort out your finances. Be ready to immediately hit the "buy it now" button if you come across a super bargain. When you do, you have a couple of weeks time.

For sure. You spend your time researching and committing to the decision, so that when the "good deal" comes up you can click "buy" straight away. The good deals (as we've seen) don't last longer than a day or two. The overpriced ones sit for weeks.

Yeah, but the USA has :D.
    I don't think Covid and misplaced social unrest has anything to do with tesla :P

So a wee update.
    Had an essential trip to Scotland few days back with a fully packed car.
    Left home at 100%, first Supercharge for me and it was at Castlebellingham North, arrived around 41% and charging was slowish, peaked at 78% and dropped straight away much lower so my stop was much longer than anticipated at I needed to get to 90% to make it to my next stop in Eurocentral Glasgow, at high SOC the charge dropped to below 23kW so aggressive tapering.
    Arrived at Eurocentral at 18% and my peak was 113kW (dropping immediately) this time and held charge very well, was over 60kW when I left at 40% SOC.
    Arrived in Dundee at 16% and again my peak was 110kW (dropping immediately) and charged very well.
    Back to Dundee after returning from my destination and again high charge.
    Back to Eurocentral again at low SOC so high supercharging.
    So that was 5 Supercharges in one day, I could not have done the journey without these stops and covered 972kms in Day 1.

Day 2 was remainder of trip home and a Supercharge stop at Castlebellingham South, this time arrived at 11% SOC and the peak was 113kW.

Vast majority of journey was 120kms indicated/117kms real world. Average consumption for trip (1,315kms) was 189Wh/km

When the car decides the battery needs cooling the fans are like a feckin small jet, you can clearly hear the car from 60/70yards, it is LOUD.
    Don't arrive at even a reasonable state of charge if you want high charge rates, the software is obviously designed to maximize the charge time for a lower SOC battery.

Supercharging is a total breeze, just hook up, no cards, no app, no queue, all chargers working and proper hubs, most impressive, Tesla have it bang on. I hope they never share their network with anyone else and dilute the benefit for Tesla drivers.

Castlebellingham North in the wee hours

IMG-20200807-043952-1.jpg

Still digging my puddle lights (on ferry)

IMG-20200807-065440-1.jpg

Dundee Superchargers

IMG-20200807-141021-1.jpg

Eurocentral Superchargers nicely lined up in ever so gentle curve (and another two behind me out of picture)

IMG-20200807-230950-1.jpg

Oh, and free supercharging makes it ever better

My experience is exactly the same although I haven't supercharged more than once in a day. My max at about 15% SOC is 101kW, must try at a much lower SOC but I doubt the speed will be much higher. I'm at nearly 139k km now, I guess you are a good bit lower?

Also did you not (yet) get the CCS done? I guess even if you did, free lifetime worldwide supercharging like we both have is hard not to make use of on a long trip :p

I drive the bejaysus out of my car, so indeed the small jet sound like fan comes on quite a lot in this warm weather when I park the car on my drive after a trip

• Advertisement

My experience is exactly the same although I haven't supercharged more than once in a day. My max at about 15% SOC is 101kW, must try at a much lower SOC but I doubt the speed will be much higher. I'm at nearly 139k km now, I guess you are a good bit lower?

Just shy of 68k kms

Also did you not (yet) get the CCS done? I guess even if you did, free lifetime worldwide supercharging like we both have is hard not to make use of on a long trip :p

Yeah, got the CCS but for my trip I needed the fastest chargers to minimise charging time and as it happens all the Superchargers were en route so be mad to charge elsewhere, plus (most importantly) they are proper hubs and you know in advance how many stalls are free

I drive the bejaysus out of my car, so indeed the small jet sound like fan comes on quite a lot in this warm weather when I park the car on my drive after a trip

I've never heard it before as I've never supercharged, it did also come on for the first time when I was driving but that was immediately after a supercharge.
    You can feel the air by the vents near the front fog lights

Advertisement