Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I go back to work?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Yeah I get a small number of people will be needed in the office but it should be real skeleton crew stuff. You are talking about a tiny minority that shouldn't be forced to claim online. Then you are talking about a tiny minority of people that need to be in the office to scan that data into a computer and let the remote team take care of the rest.

You'd think its only a few, but the volume of paper forms is apparently quite high, it is also only a limited number in, it's not exactly every ps office in the country.

My wife is in the PS, working full time & is working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

When it becomes means tested. Benefit is based on prsi and not residency. Job seekers allowance he won't get

That is not true. If you are wholly unemployed you claim your jobseekers benefit in the country that you are resident in. You can use your Irish contributions to help you qualify but you will not get paid from Ireland. You will get paid in the North, at their rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

stevek93 wrote: »
    OP you are working outside whats the problem? I work in IT with a company of about 3k users and we have people arriving in the office like a conveyor belt with laptop and mobile phone issues we are required to repair. Probably 50 to 100 people a day land at my desk and will stay there for sometimes 20 minutes or more or you could have multiple users arriving all at once it is madness we also have deliveries constantly arriving of IT equipment. Also we have two more engineers who visits users at their desk who pop in and out of the office every 20 minutes to collect equipment. These laptops and mobile phones are fifthly it is heaven for the cronavirus in there.

Maybe reading this will make you think again about your little rant of not wanting to check car batteries outdoors.
    Just because you're in what sounds like a terribly unsafe working situation, it doesn't make that right. You should take it up with your employer, not seek to have everyone in the same position as you. Genuinely, it really doesn't sound to me like I would be too happy about those conditions either. If you had an option to join a union for your area of employment I would suggest doing it and consulting them.

TheBeach wrote: »
    That is not true. If you are wholly unemployed you claim your jobseekers benefit in the country that you are resident in. You can use your Irish contributions to help you qualify but you will not get paid from Ireland. You will get paid in the North, at their rate.

I see your argument but that's not how it works in this situation. In fact, he can only claim in northern Ireland if that was the last place he made a social insurance payment. (https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html#l1f4da)

It's based entirely on where your made your payments not where you are resident when unemployed. In his case he has no tax or social insurance payments in the north. It's the same for child benefit. BENEFIT is paid from the social insurance that the person contributed to. ALLOWANCES are based on residency.

Once his stamps run out you are right, he must revert to the northern Irish system at that point as a resident of that area.

There's an eu agreement concerning payments and why it's the UK and Ireland that pays the pensions of all those ex Pats in southern Spain provided they are on the contributors pension.

Think if it another way, if it was the country of residence that paid, we would have an influx of people into this country anytime they lost their jobs and our payments would skyrocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I see your argument but that's not how it works in this situation. In fact, he can only claim in northern Ireland if that was the last place he made a social insurance payment. (https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html#l1f4da)

It's based entirely on where your made your payments not where you are resident when unemployed. In his case he has no tax or social insurance payments in the north. It's the same for child benefit. BENEFIT is paid from the social insurance that the person contributed to. ALLOWANCES are based on residency.

Once his stamps run out you are right, he must revert to the northern Irish system at that point as a resident of that area.

There's an eu agreement concerning payments and why it's the UK and Ireland that pays the pensions of all those ex Pats in southern Spain provided they are on the contributors pension.

Think if it another way, if it was the country of residence that paid, we would have an influx of people into this country anytime they lost their jobs and our payments would skyrocket.

The Beach is correct. You can claim from the jurisdiction where you work and pay tax if you are temporarily laid off or sick and are intending to go back to work there. If you are permanently out of work, you claim where you reside. It is on the border people and citizen info website. I was a cross border worker previously. The OP is quids up now. Double the dole he would get in North, plus the exchange rate is in his favour.

• Advertisement

Meeoow wrote: »
    The Beach is correct. You can claim from the jurisdiction where you work and pay tax if you are temporarily laid off or sick and are intending to go back to work there. If you are permanently out of work, you claim where you reside. It is on the border people and citizen info website. I was a cross border worker previously. The OP is quids up now. Double the dole he would get in North, plus the exchange rate is in his favour.

It specifucally states in the link I gave you that it's paid where the stamps were paid. It even states that the prsi can only be forwarded to the north in the event that his last social insurance stamp was paid there.

I claimed Irish welfare when I lived abroad. There's an eu agreement that where a person is entitled to make a claim on more than one jurisdiction the person should claim in their place of residence BUT they are entitled to whichever is the greater amount. So even if he did claim in the north, as he is entitled to our rate of benefit, he can still claim the difference into such time as he loses his entitlement to benefit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Lol at wage cuckolds, I would rather die than wage slave long term. I will probably end up living in my car some day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vRHCp9Wblro

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Wrong
    It specifucally states in the link I gave you that it's paid where the stamps were paid. It even states that the prsi can only be forwarded to the north in the event that his last social insurance stamp was paid there.

I claimed Irish welfare when I lived abroad. There's an eu agreement that where a person is entitled to make a claim on more than one jurisdiction the person should claim in their place of residence BUT they are entitled to whichever is the greater amount. So even if he did claim in the north, as he is entitled to our rate of benefit, he can still claim the difference into such time as he loses his entitlement to benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

He is a frontier worker. That is the difference. You should contact a local intreo office in a border county who will assure you the information I've provided is correct. Crossborder.ie is also a good site.

TheBeach wrote: »
    He is a frontier worker. That is the difference. You should contact a local intreo office in a border county who will assure you the information I've provided is correct. Crossborder.ie is also a good site.

I can again quote intreo here: "If you are applying for Jobseeker's Benefit and need the contributions paid in another EU/EEA member state to help you qualify, then your last contribution must have been in Ireland."

So, if I live in the south but pay tax on the north, I wouldn't qualify as I made no payments in the south. Now, perhaps it is different for border workers but if it is, surely intreo or the UK office would mention it?

• Advertisement

Meeoow wrote: »
    Wrong

Well it's hard to argue with a solid fact based argument like that.

Advertisement