Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I go back to work?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

OP you know exactly what you want to do, you just want all of us to pat you on the back while you tell your boss no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Do we have to organise more bulgarians to fly in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

Is it possible to work on the website from home? If the workplace even alone is illegal then maybe look into this. But I'd check into that. When are car dealerships legally allowed open? I was almost positive they were still doing call outs , flat batteries etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I'd be looking for a new job.
    That is quite low pay for the travel/expenses

I had actually thought that those living in the north weren't entitled to any social welfare from this state.

Pretty sure some essential work on cars is deemed essential, sure everyone needs their car to work. Does the shop also do parts and repairs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 WhatShouldIdo?

Is it possible to work on the website from home? If the workplace even alone is illegal then maybe look into this. But I'd check into that. When are car dealerships legally allowed open? I was almost positive they were still doing call outs , flat batteries etc

The service department can open on the 18th of may, the showroom end of things is legally not allowed to open until the 8th of June.

Rodin wrote: »

Would probably be the same longterm as it's a long commute but risky time to be leaving a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Apart from money issues, etc, are you not bored out of your tits sat at home for the last 8-9 weeks?

The pay is grand in normal times as we earn commission when we sell a car, it will be impossible/illegal to sell cars until the restrictions are lifted, so I will only be earning the basic wage and no commission

The service department can open on the 18th of may, the showroom end of things is legally not allowed to open until the 8th of June.

So surely if your work is updating the website for the service department etc then that is deemed essential and fully legal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,393 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yup, paying full time tax for the past 4 years, not entitled to anything from the NI government either. Very unfair

Yes it does seem unfair but nothing much can be done when you are living in a different juristication

So surely if your work is updating the website for the service department etc then that is deemed essential and fully legal?

I would only handle the adverts of cars on our website. Uploading pics etc.

Service department and website development for 3 weeks then back to the showroom side of things maybe more based online with people only coming in for actual test drive etc? I don't really see the problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

You just get a letter from your employer and that'll cover you if you're stopped at a checkpoint.
    Not an essential business, not allowed to operate yet.

Phase two is limited return to onsite work June 8th.

Phase three is return to work with limited contact June 29th.

I would even say it's phase three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Yes it does seem unfair but nothing much can be done when you are living in a different juristication
    Yet he's able to claim Jobseekers Benefit whiile living in a different jurisdiction? He pays into the tax system in ROI, doesn't matter where he lives.

I'm sure other pontificaters on here would be pretty pissed off too if they were in his scenario.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://www.thejournal.ie/essential-services-stay-open-under-government-measures-5060675-Mar2020/

Can you update the website from home? If there are service personnel already working it would make more sense for them to change the batteries etc and they're already onsite as their job is different from yours.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-measures-for-reopening-will-see-irish-workplaces-change-beyond-recognition-1.4248809?mode=amp
    "The new rules will be monitored by the Health and Safety Authority, which will have powers to overturn poor behaviours, or even to close premises that are not complying.

Social distancing rules will have to be rigidly enforced, including a ban on all except essential face-to-face meetings. Employers should set up one-way systems for staff entering and leaving buildings. Business travel is discouraged."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Restrictions don't apply to people coming from a NI address. I think you should go in-it will be remembered favourably when the inevitable lay-offs happen and that €205 gets slashed.

I am receiving the 203 from the state as that is where I pay my taxes, they will not pay me the covid 350 unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Can you work on the website from home?

The €460 basic might be negotiable for the temporary work they are offering you as it is presuming you earn commission on top of it.

Speak to your boss about your concerns while assuring him that you would like to work.

sabat wrote: »
    Restrictions don't apply to people coming from a NI address. I think you should go in-it will be remembered favourably when the inevitable lay-offs happen and that €205 gets slashed.

The restrictions where I live in NI still apply, so if I am stopped in NI whilst travelling to work in a non essential business, I am breaking the NI restrictions as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,102 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The boss is clearly looking out for you, offering you the work over the others.
    I'd be thinking about not biting the hand that feeds you.
    It's not your boss fault you didn't qualify for CoVid payment.

To thine own self be true

tina1040 wrote: »
    Can you work on the website from home?

The €460 basic might be negotiable for the temporary work they are offering you as it is presuming you earn commission on top of it.

Speak to your boss about your concerns while assuring him that you would like to work.
    Not really workable as I will need to photograph the cars physically on site and update the website

Lundstram wrote: »
    Yet he's able to claim Jobseekers Benefit whiile living in a different jurisdiction? He pays into the tax system in ROI, doesn't matter where he lives.

I'm sure other pontificaters on here would be pretty pissed off too if they were in his scenario.

Don't shoot the messenger I don't make the rules

The boss is clearly looking out for you, offering you the work over the others.

I'd be thinking about not biting the hand that feeds you.
    It's not your boss fault you didn't qualify for CoVid payment.

Or you could say that my boss has none else capable of updating the website and is being very selfish by expecting me to break the law, all whilst earning very little extra for the trouble. Remember he was as quick as a flash to lay me off even before he was obliged to.

Don't shoot the messenger I don't make the rules

You may not make the rules but surely you should see that if I pay the same taxes into the system in normal times, I should receive the same support as everyone else now. That’s not the case.

So if someone within 5k took all the photos and sent you them, could you do the work from home?

You may not make the rules but surely you should see that if I pay the same taxes into the system in normal times, I should receive the same support as everyone else now. That’s not the case.

I never said you shouldn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

A lot of this doesn’t add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Remember he was as quick as a flash to lay me off even before he was obliged to.
    He'll be even quicker to lay him off when the recession hits, if you are the most useful salesman today I would advise trying to keep that position. Telling the boss you don't want to help out now may be remembered come the time decisions have to be made.
    Pretty sure some essential work on cars is deemed essential, sure everyone needs their car to work. Does the shop also do parts and repairs?
    Its always funny seeing people on the internet jumping through hoops to find ways that they are essential workers. "Well breakdown services for haulage companies are essential so if you squint with one eye and look sideways then a car salesman updating a website is essential too...".

I just find it funny. I mean, go to work if you want, the guards aren't actually going to stop you, but save the tenuous justifications that don't actually mean **** all.

• Advertisement

So if someone within 5k took all the photos and sent you them, could you do the work from home?

It’s not really feasible, taking the pictures the correct way is a skill on its own. Most people could do it, just not the particular workmates of mine As they are not computer literate.

Advertisement