Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I go back to work?

Options
  • 10-05-2020 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I would just like to gather peoples thoughts on my particular situation.
    I will try to keep this as short as possible.
    Background info to my query is as follows.

I’m a sales executive for a car dealership in Donegal.
    Back in mid March things where really slowing down in the car sales business with the onset of coved 19 etc.

My employer laid myself and 3 other sales execs off due to a lack of business.
    This was before the official lockdown.

We where handed the application forms to apply for the emergency 350 Covina social payment.

When I applied for it I was informed by social welfare that I am not entitled to the payment as I live in Northern Ireland.

So since the end of March I have been receiving €203 per week from my job seekers benefit while all of the other sales execs are receiving 350 per week as they are living in Donegal.

My employer wasn’t to bothered about it.

So today I received a text message from my boss asking would I like to return to work this coming week, not to sell cars but to update the website and probably go through a load of what we like to call “yard work” (flat batteries).

If I return to work, I will earn my usual €460 Per week gross flat wage.
    Out of that 460 I pay around 60 in tax/usc

Out of the 400 left it costs per approx 100 per week in travelling and lunch expenses etc which leaves me with around 300 left for a weeks work.

This leaves me 100 euro a week better of than if I was to sit at home like the other sales execs who have not been asked to return to work as they are not capable of updating the website etc.

So 100 quid a week Extra to rise at 7am, travel 40 miles each way to work, it just doesn’t add up to me.

Not only that, technically I would be breaking the covid 19 regulations as I would not be working for an essential service.

What am I supposed to say to a guard at a checkpoint when he asks where I and going and why?

I am worried that I refuse to return to work it may be looked badly on by my employer.

Any thoughts and advice is welcome, please refrain from giving me abuse, everyone is different when it comes to this situation.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sounds like you want some one to tell you to stay at home for the easy life

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WhatShouldIdo?

godtabh wrote: »
    Sounds like you want some one to tell you to stay at home for the easy life

It’s not exactly an easy life, but returning to work to earn an extra 100 quid,
    Whilst also breaking the law, potentially getting on the wrong side of a guard at a checkpoint, and not least increasing the chances of contracting the virus, doesn’t sound that attractive to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

It’s not exactly an easy life, but returning to work to earn an extra 100 quid,
    Whilst also breaking the law, potentially getting on the wrong side of a guard at a checkpoint, and not least increasing the chances of contracting the virus, doesn’t sound that attractive to me.

You just get a letter from your employer and that'll cover you if you're stopped at a checkpoint.

Doesn't sound like an environment where there's a high chance of contracting the virus at all, especially if you take reasonable precautions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Typical modern Irish attitude this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

You'll be fine with a letter from your employer. It sounds like the employer is giving you the choice to go back.

It's not your employer's fault you don't qualify for the covid payment. Did sinn fein not deliver your food hamper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Yes

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

Just ask your employer for a letter confirming you are an essential worker so you have something to show at the checkpoints.

If he can't provide that then you can't go back to work. Simples!

On the other hand - if this isn't about checkpoints or safety etc but just that you think it's not worth your while working for 100e a week - perhaps you need to think about it in terms of self respect / self worth?

To look at it another way - we did in the past go to work when it made little sense due to wages vs childcare costs. But my partner wanted to work - she felt it was worthwhile for other reasons than money.

And I'm sure your boss will know the real reason and make his own decisions. I'm guessing he invited you back first because he felt you were losing the most in the current situation? I think he will be pretty peeved if you refuse his offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Regardless of what your colleagues are being paid, your wages suited you before the lockdown so I'm not sure why they wouldn't after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Typical modern British attitude this

Fyp, he's on the other side of the border ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Please go back to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Pistachio19

The only expense you will have is petrol/diesel cost. Your lunch won't cost any more than if you are at home because you can bring a sandwich from home. You are being offered your job back which has to be better than being on the dole. Unless there are a large number of you working there at one time then the risk of catching the virus is probably less then going to your local supermarket. So yes, you should take the job back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Regardless of what your colleagues are being paid, your wages suited you before the lockdown so I'm not sure why they wouldn't after?

No commission due to no car sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How are you eligible for the dole but not the covid payment?

On another note, why do people think a letter from the employer is some magic get out of jail card? Car sales aren't an essential service, a letter from a car dealer does not have to be accepted by any guard if they don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ice.cube

Back in mid March things where really slowing down in the car sales business with the onset of coved 19 etc.

We where handed the application forms to apply for the emergency 350 Covina social payment.

When I applied for it I was informed by social welfare that I am not entitled to the payment as I live in Northern Ireland.

So since the end of March I have been receiving €203 per week from my job seekers benefit while all of the other sales execs are receiving 350 per week as they are living in Donegal.

So today I received a text message from my boss asking would I like to return to work this coming week, not to sell cars but to update the website and probably go through a load of what we like to call “yard work” (flat batteries).

Out of the 400 left it costs per approx 100 per week in travelling and lunch expenses etc which leaves me with around 300 left for a weeks work.

This leaves me 100 euro a week better of than if I was to sit at home like the other sales execs who have not been asked to return to work as they are not capable of updating the website etc.

So 100 quid a week Extra to rise at 7am, travel 40 miles each way to work, it just doesn’t add up to me.

Not only that, technically I would be breaking the covid 19 regulations as I would not be working for an essential service.

What am I supposed to say to a guard at a checkpoint when he asks where I and going and why?

I am worried that I refuse to return to work it may be looked badly on by my employer.

Any thoughts and advice is welcome, please refrain from giving me abuse, everyone is different when it comes to this situation.

Say you do stay at home and take your €203 per week. What would your long term plan be?

It may sound nice now but you will find it a lot harder to find work in the future. Always easier when you are currently working and your head is in the game IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

This is precisely the problem..

Government is just clueless about incentives and disincentives to work.

People should have been put on the usual 200 dole if not working, end of story.

Stheno wrote: »
    No commission due to no car sales?

Maybe for the moment but 460 gross is better than 205 dole. Theres 1000s unemployed I'm doubt the employer will have too much trouble replacing. The OP could be shooting themselves in the foot to win the battle but will end up losing the war.

How are you eligible for the dole but not the covid payment?

On another note, why do people think a letter from the employer is some magic get out of jail card? Car sales aren't an essential service, a letter from a car dealer does not have to be accepted by any guard if they don't want to.

I am entitled to job seekers benefit as I pay my taxes in Ireland, the emergency covid payments are only for residents of the state. Which I feel is very unfair, revenue is happy enough To treat me the same as everyone else when it comes to taking tax deductions every week but when it comes paying out..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

To be honest, given the choice I think it is better to go back to work. It is still more money than you're getting now from the state and it might bring a semblance of normality back to your day to day routine.

Maybe for the moment but 460 gross is better than 205 dole. Theres 1000s unemployed I'm doubt the employer will have too much trouble replacing. The OP could be shooting themselves in the foot to win the battle but will end up losing the war.

Forget about the gross, it’s 100 quid a week better of after taxes and expenses. That’s 20 a day better off to go out and work, almost 11 hours away from home. It just doesn’t add up financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Then people who had covid or who had been in contact with it would have carried on, working, spreading etc because they couldn’t afford to self isolate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Then people who had covid or who had been in contact with it would have carried on, working, spreading etc because they couldn’t afford to self isolate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Take a different one of the used cars home every night. Cuts your travel expenses to nothing and gives the cars a decent run to charge up the batteries. Bring your own lunch to work. Voila, you have doubled your weekly income while gaining self respect

People are missing the point here, is updating a car sales website more important Than preventing the spread of the virus right now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Illegal immigrants and people who prevously worked 12 hours on the weekend can get the €350 Covid19 payment but this man can't?

That is truly fcuked up.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

antix80 wrote: »
    Did sinn fein not deliver your food hamper?

Mod: Quite it with the smartarsery. 24 hour threadban.

Forget about the gross, it’s 100 quid a week better of after taxes and expenses. That’s 20 a day better off to go out and work, almost 11 hours away from home. It just doesn’t add up financially.

100 if your not eating at home. Let one of your colleagues do it. When they reopen and are earning fully with commission again enjoy being on the 205 /week.

What's the risk being in an empty being in an empty building or yard?

Lundstram wrote: »
    Illegal immigrants and people who prevously worked 12 hours on the weekend can get the €350 Covid19 payment but this man can't?

That is truly fcuked up.

Yup, paying full time tax for the past 4 years, not entitled to anything from the NI government either. Very unfair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

If updating the website is in a no contact zone then it isn't risky at all. I think you know this. If travel is allowed then you should work in my opinion as otherwise you're refusing work and choosing to stay on the dole. Plenty of people are earning less doing essential work in supermarkets etc which is much much much more risky. Also I would hope majority of thay 100 is travel costs? Lunches would surely be brought in from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

You're actually being offered more than the covid payment to do what sounds like zero risk work. There is a danger with this covid payment that people almost expect to get paid to do nothing. Most are genuine and cannot physically do their job right now so they're rightly getting paid this. If you can even work towards your business reopening or selling online more etc I feel you should be.

• Advertisement

If updating the website is in a no contact zone then it isn't risky at all. I think you know this. If travel is allowed then you should work in my opinion as otherwise you're refusing work and choosing to stay on the dole. Plenty of people are earning less doing essential work in supermarkets etc which is much much much more risky. Also I would hope majority of thay 100 is travel costs? Lunches would surely be brought in from home.

Travelling tomorrow morning to go work in a car dealership is not legal as the restrictions are still in place. My employer is expecting me to break the law, fancy letter or not.

Advertisement