Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 249 - Ferguson v Gaethje Sat May 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Dom vs Jose for the vacant title?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ref knew what was coming...

Informed the decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Dom is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

mangobob wrote: »
    Dom is right.

True.

But I also think the ref is right to stop a fight whereby the fighter has been knocked down and has taken 11 unanswered punches to the head, in a turtle position, without an attempt to block any of them.

It's not black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That was a righteous stoppage for me, I know he was standing back up but far too many shots landing to allow it to continue

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    True.

But I also think the ref is right to stop a fight whereby the fighter has been knocked down and has taken 11 unanswered punches to the head, in a turtle position, without an attempt to block any of them.

He wasn't trutled, he was trying to stand up and was on his fight by the time the ref jumped between them.

He wasn't trutled, he was trying to stand up and was on his fight by the time the ref jumped between them.

Maybe. But he was continuing to get pummeled without an attempt to defend himself.

If you can't see why a ref might stop a fight there, I don't know what to tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I think that was an early stoppage, but very close, the fact he scrambled to his feet (nearly) I think the ref should have looked at the next exchange.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

? Was really looking forward to this fight. Will be fight of the night.

Told ya all someone would be goin to sleep! snoozefest :D:D

Maybe. But he was continuing to get pummeled without an attempt to defend himself.

If you can't see why a ref might stop a fight there, I don't know what to tell you

Standing up is defending yourself by imporving your position.

• Advertisement

That was a righteous stoppage for me, I know he was standing back up but far too many shots landing to allow it to continue

After the knee only the follow up punch landed, nothing after that was very clean or powerful.

mailburner wrote: »
    not a great stoppage imo

he wasn't out, was in trouble but should have been given a little longer

had herb dean been reffing it wouldnt have been stopped so soon

Yeah cant get buried witha knee and drilled with about 11 unanswered punches he cant complain imo.

Standing up is defending yourself by imporving your position.

He was on his hands and knees getting pummeled. Game over!

Fergusons in De fifth

He was on his hands and knees getting pummeled. Game over!

He was on his feet when the ref stepped in, the knee and follow up landed clean, everything else was a winged arm punch to the shoulder or neck.

Please, please live up to expectations....

True.

Indeed. The very fact that different people can watch the same event, even after multiple replays, and still disagree on the call shows how subjective it is.

I have sympathy for the ref here because he has a split second to make a call and as you say its not as if a case cannot be made for a stoppage.

But for me it was premature and it was clear that Cruz was not out of it. Simply getting hurt and taking a barrage of shots while you are getting to your feet should not be the signal to stop a fight. We have all seen fighters survive much worse that than and Dom was clearly getting back to his feet. In my view, the fighter has to be clearly out of it with no realistic prospect of being able to continue. Then again I get that the ref has a responsibility toward the fighters safety and well being.

I just feel we need more clarity on what should and should not constitute a stoppage. I dont know what the solution is. Perhaps if refs were had more high level fight experience themselves they would have a better feel for when a fighter is still in the fight and when they need to be saved.

I 100% believe Dom in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

There was also only 2 seconds left in the round. He should know that too.

Already bored

10-9 JG easy,

• Advertisement

Good first round. Justin looking sharp!

Tony looking angry

ferguson gonna finish him late gaejthe blowin his wad these rounds

Some pair of chins in there!

Tony's Chin is just hanging out there. Im not a fan of Conor as a person but I reckon he'd starch Tony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Tony isn't human

Looks like Tony will wear him down to a finish this round..

Fergusons Dome is made of concrete.

JG's best chance is to wreck his legs. He doesnt seem like he can knock him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

boreder wrote: »
    There was also only 2 seconds left in the round. He should know that too.

Irrelevant.

Gaethje needs to be careful here with the pace. Good fight so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

only a matter of time for tony round 4

Advertisement