Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 249 - Ferguson v Gaethje Sat May 9th

Options

Comments

mailburner wrote: »
    You can't say he's swinging for the fences, fought a perfect fight there and is simply a wrecking machine

cmg might fancy his chances now alright

with regard to tf I think cmg wouldn't hesitate to take that now

I'd like to see Tony get that money fight. After tonight's demolishing, after his winning streak being extinguished, any mystique around him is gone. Well and good if Gaethje fluked a decision or a controversial stoppage after Tony put up a good fight, but he completely dominated Tony from start to finish without question to the point where the ref had to say 'Just stop'.

I don't say that easily, I'm a fan of Tony's. An hour ago, the MMA world was still pretty much his oyster, now though that is very different with such a loss. I'd love to see him get a multi-million dollar payday before he moves on, and I think a Conor fight is best or only hope of that now.

itsGOOSEYx wrote: »
    Diaz v TF would be an all out brawl!

Funny how CMG is turning into a give someone a payday almost for people. Diaz, Cowboy and now it'll be mentioned for TF too.

Yep, pretty much :pac:

But at the same time, I want to see Conor get back to contending for titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I'd love to see him get a multi-million dollar payday before he moves on, and I think a Conor fight is best or only hope of that now.

I genuinely fear for him if he doesn't get the big fight. He has had some tough luck. He was barely listening to anyone in his corner tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

He was on his feet when the ref stepped in, the knee and follow up landed clean, everything else was a winged arm punch to the shoulder or neck.

Have just watched again as this tweet made me doubt myself. He wasn't close to on his feet ffs, he was on all fours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Gaethje is amazing but can’t see past a Conor win if they ever cross paths, just way too an intelligent striker IMO. Gaethje vs Khabib should be next so it’s a mute point for now. I do love Justin though, such a likable guy with a great fighting style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Does Mcgregor have a better chin than Ferguson? F*ck no. Does he have better cardio? Nope. His chin would shatter if he took Justins punches and if it went past the second round it would only be a matter of time. Gaethje is an animal.

Justin doesn't have Tony's chin either, he was finished by Poirier. Poirier has good hands, but nowhere near Conor's power. Dustin even said Conor is the most powerful puncher he fought. By far. And that was at FW.

Conor is the worst matchup for him in the division. If he actually beats Khabib, Conor will be delighted. Much easier way to the belt for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,520 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Conor is Gaethje's next fight if McGregor wants it. There's no pressure to give Gaethje his title shot immediately. It'll be Khabib vs GSP next I think McGregor vs Gaethje.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Gaethje v McGregor for the interim interim as Khabib watches on twitter for one reason or another

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Gaethje v McGregor for the interim interim as Khabib watches on twitter for one reason or another

I saw someone on twitter suggest Conor vs tony, winner fights Gaethje for next title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I’ve said for a while that Tony‘a jiu jitsu is over-rated. The fight tonight exposed a lot of his flaws on the feet. The kooky unorthodox stuff works is great when he’s cutting guys up. But doing it all the time just leaves him open. Hands were down the whole fight and Justin was landing the 1-2 at will.

The imanari attempt was spectacularly terrible.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote:
    I’ve said for a while that Tony‘a jiu jitsu is over-rated. The fight tonight exposed a lot of his flaws on the feet. The kooky unorthodox stuff works is great when he’s cutting guys up. But doing it all the time just leaves him open. Hands were down the whole fight and Justin was landing the 1-2 at will.

I suspected that something like this could happen. Tony said it after the fight too. He was in camp since November, preparing for a non-striker. He was too long in camp and changing late in the day face a heavy hitter was a bad idea. He should never have taken the fight.
    Personally I'd like to see him get a rematch at the end of the year where he's had some rest and has a full camp preparing for Gaethje. I think you'll see a totally different fight and outcome.

derfderf wrote: »
    I saw someone on twitter suggest Conor vs tony, winner fights Gaethje for next title shot.
    What a weird suggestion.
    Why would Justin accept anything other than Khabib.

Why did Tony accept anything other than Khabib?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

eagle eye wrote: »

Because Khabib wasn't available.

Presumably he will be for Gaethje's next fight.

DrPhilG wrote:
    Presumably he will be for Gaethje's next fight.
    No chance, he's finally getting some replies from GSP so that'll be up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ouch...

512410.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If Gaethje lands any of the shots he landed tonight against Conor it would be over in the 1st. Diaz wobbled Conor with a jab with virtually no power on it. He wouldn't take 20% of what is being thrown in there right now.

This is way exaggerated. Conor can take a shot.

I reckon Conor takes Tony out. Too sharp, and be nailing him as clean and as hard as Gaetje

walshb wrote:
    This is way exaggerated. Conor can take a shot.
    And if Conor lands one decent shot it's over based on how Ferguson wobbled Gaethje at the end of the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And if Conor lands one decent shot it's over based on how Ferguson wobbled Gaethje at the end of the second.

Agreed. Conor could do a number on Justin.

I said this a good while ago. Ferguson too easily hit for someone like Conor. And Conor’s shots for me are more impacting and loaded than Justin’s. Plus, Conor has better reach and range and overall accuracy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Mellor wrote: »
    What a weird suggestion.
    Why would Justin accept anything other than Khabib.

$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

If Gaethje learns anything from that fight last night its don't push for a fight he doesn't really need to take. I don't think Tony-Khabib will ever happen, it seems like destiny it doesn't.
    I'm not sure if Tony making weight a few weeks ago for....social media likes??? :confused: was a good idea. He looked bad but still better than Werdum who looked worse than the present UFC 250 card they announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Just watched it there. I'm gutted for Tony. As someone said above, cutting weight when he didn't need too seems very foolish now.

I saw a comment on Reddit this morning that really brought it home for me.
    "So this is how Khabib V Tony finally dies, in an empty arena".

I'm after realising if Gaethje somehow beat Khabib then we end up getting Gaethje vs McGregor for the belt. It would leave Ferguson and Khabib to fight each other. The dream of a Ferguson/Khabib fight might not be over just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm after realising if Gaethje somehow beat Khabib then we end up getting Gaethje vs McGregor for the belt. It would leave Ferguson and Khabib to fight each other. The dream of a Ferguson/Khabib fight might not be over just yet.

If both Khabib and Tony go into that fight off a loss, it loses a lot of its sheen. The whole buildup has been the undefeated champ Vs Tony with his long unbeaten streak. It was all "Will Tony be the one who can beat Khabib?"

If Justin is the one who can beat Khabib, then the question has been answered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

nocoverart wrote: »
    Gaethje is amazing but can’t see past a Conor win if they ever cross paths, just way too an intelligent striker IMO. Gaethje vs Khabib should be next so it’s a mute point for now. I do love Justin though, such a likable guy with a great fighting style.

Mcgregor ducked Gaehtje in January to fight a tin can in Cowboy Cerrone. Conor does not want that fire. Its obvious why after last night.

Fair play to Gaethje. A lot of people said he wasnt cut out dor the top level and he was a human punching bag. A more conservative style change and he looks better than ever. That was one of the most complete Ufc performances I have ever seen last night.

Still think the goat Khabib beats him though.

ricero wrote: »
    Seriously impressed with Cejudo.

I honestly think he is pound for pound number 1 in the world.
    Tomorrow you'll be back to Khabib being pound for pound number 1. :pac:

ricero wrote: »
    Still think the goat Khabib beats him though.

:D:rolleyes::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

:D:rolleyes::p

Well Cejudo is retired now

You have to ask Tony that. Maybe he needs the money, or maybe he just wanted to fight.

And Justin’s position is even stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

great main event fight.

dom versus henry was dog****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Any way of catching a replay of ferguson fight?

Advertisement