Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 249 - Ferguson v Gaethje Sat May 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ricero wrote: »
    Mcgregor ducked Gaehtje in January to fight a tin can in Cowboy Cerrone. Conor does not want that fire. Its obvious why after last night.

Professional fighters bar a few exceptions are not afraid of fighting other professional fighters. I'd say there is almost zero chance Conor is afraid of fighting Gaehtje. He fought Khabib who was the worst possible style match up for him. Usually when these fights don't happen it's for other reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

froog wrote: »
    great main event fight.

dom versus henry was dog****.

Why so?

I thought it was a masterclass from Cejudo. Really hope he doesn't retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,520 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ricero wrote:
    Gotta agree, he improved his pound for pound rankings with that performance.
    He's a smart man to walk away at the top. If he stays away he'll get a big payday down the line to come back if he wants it.
    I don't like him personality wise but you cannot take away what he's done in the Octagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Is Tony the first to defend and lose an interm title?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is Tony the first to defend and lose an interm title?

He wasn’t defending an interim. He was stripped of his when he was out injured.

But other fighters have defended and lost interims before. Frank Mir won an interim from Big Nog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ferguson hasn't been in a fight that tough since he found that guy living behind his fireplace in the walls of his house!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Ferguson hasn't been in a fight that tough since he found that guy living behind his fireplace in the walls of his house!

???

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What’s overall view of main fight?

I don’t know. Thought it was a little pedestrian and repetitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

No need to making light of Tonys mental health issues.

Bad form that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Mod: Don't make a comment like that again..mental health isn't a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

The commentors mentioned a few times about how the opposing fighter could now hear the corners instructions. That was always the case! If one fighter could hear them the other one would be able to as well. Bizarre why they kept bringing this up.

Cruz was quite unclassy about the stoppage especially about the ref. The main event was called off correctly and tony was still on his feet. Cruz wasn't defending himself intelligently at all. 11 strikes unanswered. Then going on about telling the ref beforehand when he should and shouldn't stop the fight, eh dom that isn't how reffing works. The commentary team were so bias towards him also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I really enjoyed that card, delighted for Bryce & Gaethje.

Ferguson took some really heavy shorts, was mad seeing him not flinch. Like GGG v Canelo. Done well to last to the 5th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Beersmith wrote: »
    Cruz was quite unclassy about the stoppage especially about the ref. The main event was called off correctly and tony was still on his feet. Cruz wasn't defending himself intelligently at all. 11 strikes unanswered. Then going on about telling the ref beforehand when he should and shouldn't stop the fight, eh dom that isn't how reffing works. The commentary team were so bias towards him also.

I hate triple cringe but cruz is salty asf so was glad he lost, his like the paulie malininagi of MMA

He also said this recently about dillashaw “I look at this and say, is this how insignificantly stupid you are?” Cruz said. “To think you complaining and whining about a stoppage is gonna change anything? You just sound like a moron. Like, nothing is gonna change. You might as well just accept what just happened to you and try to grab a hold of your balls instead of run from them and admit the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The most bizarre moment was when Ferguson's corner shouted "Gimme sand Tony".

Ferguson then reached down and pretended to scoop up and throw sand in Gaethje's face.

Anyone else notice this? Bonkers!

Ferguson then reached down and pretended to scoop up and throw sand in Gaethje's face.

His whole corner were shown up badly last night. With that sand BS, the late Imanari role, the complete lack of a Plan B going into the fight.

It didn't help them either when compared to Trevor Wittman who was such a help to his fighter from early on...

'Why are you trying to kill him? Take 10% off those punches'....that lead to Justin pacing himself and using some rare patience for the remainder of the fight.

Tony's lads getting him to build sandcastles or something, and now Tony has to pay them for that privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

His whole corner were shown up badly last night. With that sand BS, the late Imanari role, the complete lack of a Plan B going into the fight.

It didn't help them either when compared to Trevor Wittman who was such a help to his fighter from early on...

'Why are you trying to kill him? Take 10% off those punches'....that lead to Justin pacing himself and using some rare patience for the remainder of the fight.

Tony's lads getting him to build sandcastles or something, and now Tony has to pay them for that privilege.

Spot on.

I liked when Trevor told him the last time he got comfortable he got stopped :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Be more along his lines to throw a few punches rather than imaginary sand.

ASOT wrote: »
    Spot on.

I liked when Trevor told him the last time he got comfortable he got stopped :pac:

Fair play to Justin too. I don't watch as many bouts as some in here, but in my experience you see coaches shouting one thing at their fighter, and the fighter not listening and getting caught up in the moment and going his own way.

That was a magnificent team effort from Gaethje and co. last night.

• Advertisement

Just wondering, and even Justin admitted in the post-fight that he wasn't sure how bad he was hurt, but that uppercut of Tony's was a great shot only at the wrong time. He knocked Justin to the floor, and the moment he went to pounce on him the bell rang for end of round. Might it have been a different outcome if Tony hit that uppercut with a minute left to go in the round?

Btw, that's not me at all saying 'Tony woulda won if...', just a point for discussion. I was so impressed with Gaethje's performance, one of the best I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Ferguson's corner was terrible, Eddie bravo didn't help at all, Ferguson didn't seem like himself, I think he expected gathje to tire then he would make his moves, either way khabib will beat either of them.

It did seem to blind gaethje for a second ....not :confused:

Cupatae wrote: »
    I hate triple cringe but cruz is salty asf so was glad he lost, his like the paulie malininagi of MMA

Malignaggi has a lot more coordination in his feet tho, Cruz looks like a drunk Irish dancer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Have to say the fight behind closed doors was a lot better than expected. I enjoyed listening to the power of the hits and the corner men. Of course the crowd brings a lot of hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Beersmith wrote: »
    He also said this recently about dillashaw “I look at this and say, is this how insignificantly stupid you are?” Cruz said. “To think you complaining and whining about a stoppage is gonna change anything? You just sound like a moron. Like, nothing is gonna change. You might as well just accept what just happened to you and try to grab a hold of your balls instead of run from them and admit the loss.

Now saying ref was drunk! Come on Dom :(

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/05/dominick-cruz-stoppage-ufc-249-keith-peterson-alcohol-cigarettes-henry-cejudo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

walshb wrote: »
    What’s overall view of main fight?

I don’t know. Thought it was a little pedestrian and repetitive.

I enjoyed it, mostly because i really want Justin to fight Khabib. On the other hand, i understand what you're saying.
    McGregor/Diaz 2 & and Lawlor/mcDonald 2 were both great fights and battles. This was just one guy beating another guy up for 24 minutes (besides the uppercut). It wa a great performance by Justin though.
    Maybe Justin, Dustin, and Alverez, are all the real deal, and Tony was lucky to avoid them for so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

ricero wrote: »
    Why so?

Bigging up Cejudo, Gaethje and Khabib and puts down McGregor.....

Is that you Ali?

Advertisement