Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 (and other trackers) Thread Part IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Is it starting to get busy again or are the jet trails staying because of the weather. Looks like dozens of aircraft have passed over in the last two days

Make that hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Gary kk wrote: »
    Is it starting to get busy again or are the jet trails staying because of the weather. Looks like dozens of aircraft have passed over in the last two days

Make that hours.

Traffic across Ireland, North Atlantic an Europe remains fairly static, no significant growth. Increased contrail activity is likely a result of the recent weather conditions and the location of the North Atlantic tracks over the past few days causing more traffic to be seen over central Ireland.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Gary kk wrote: »

Make that hours.
    Mild, stable weather will mean contrails stay intact for longer.
    With dynamic weather (EG. Wind or weather systems moving through) the high altitude air is turbulent and the water crystals get dispersed.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Does anybody here share info with FR ? I applied for their little box set up years ago but got the big No :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Ish66 wrote: »
    Does anybody here share info with FR ? I applied for their little box set up years ago but got the big No :mad:

No, but I think they have Ireland well-covered, hence why would they add additional feeders when it gains them nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Ish66 wrote: »
    Yes but I DIY'd one and an antenna 5 years ago out of boredom! You can build one with a raspberry pi, DVB tuner and some coax handy enough! Mines in the attic but I still get up to 150 miles range for stuff above 20000 feet. I used to travel a bit with work precovid so enjoyed the business account for info on the planes I was flying on or spotted while waiting in a terminal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

tnegun wrote: »
    Yes but I DIY'd one and an antenna 5 years ago out of boredom! You can build one with a raspberry pi, DVB tuner and some coax handy enough! Mines in the attic but I still get up to 150 miles range for stuff above 20000 feet. I used to travel a bit with work precovid so enjoyed the business account for info on the planes I was flying on or spotted while waiting in a terminal etc.
    https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yeah, I had a station for a few years. It's currently in retirement as I'd need to reposition the antenna to make it work now.
    But it had a home-made coaxial antenna and I was on a good day able to pick-up flights over London at >12,000m. You could also pick-up a lot of training flights in Cardigan Bay.
    There are three services which you can register with:
    FR24, PiAware and adsbexchange.

Plus if you configure it with dump1090-fa (or the more recently updated https://github.com/wiedehopf/tar1090), then you get a nice local map, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

IL-76 en route to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Sputnik-V vaccine on board? ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

joujoujou wrote: »
    Sputnik-V vaccine on board? ;):D

humanitarian cargo for India

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lads, India is that way
    >

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Lads, India is that way
    >

Ireland is sending over oxygen machines, so it will be a load up and off to India
    Does anyone know what takeoff time is ?

Ireland is sending over oxygen machines, so it will be a load up and off to India
    Does anyone know what takeoff time is ?

0800 tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭irishgti

Can't be right....

Its really N37AL . A Gulfstream V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

what is this guy doing? Are they practicing at the ranges out at Gtown? They were there yesterday as well.

Screen-Shot-2021-04-28-at-15-31-23.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

PC9’s are live firing rockets and guns this week in Gormanston. Then moving to the Glen next week.

https://www.military.ie/en/public-information/glen-of-imaal-walking-route-closures/?fbclid=IwAR3tclvRor3bOP2YRhkcwuPJ3Ju4qec-7nwC-Wy3DoFKtNNcz8eXTLmxLbA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Growler!!! wrote: »
    PC9’s are live firing rockets and guns this week in Gormanston. Then moving to the Glen next week.

Saw a WhatsApp video of those efforts at Gormanston. Looked impressive !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

https://mobile.twitter.com/civmilair/status/1069025957795774464
    This flying over the country now. Noisy thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

Heard a prop coming over which is unusual at anytime for me really never mind at this hour.

quick check on flight radar makes is unusual alright in my book - VVPR887

from a previous flight https://twitter.com/civmilair/status/1069025957795774464?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, just passed over us.
    EtA2gws.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I heard this thing over north mayo about 20 mins ago. Very noisy so had to see what it was.
    What does that aircraft do - it has a disc on the underside - is it some kind of survey aircraft the military use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Looks like it was one of these, refuelling plane
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_KC-46_Pegasus#Flight_tests_and_delays

Left pease air national guard base in new hampsire and looks like it landed at one of the raf bases in SE england around the time 2 RAF fighter jets were being refueled over the north sea by a refueling plane that took off and landed at raf brize norton base.
    Busy night for those boys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

mickdw wrote: »
    I heard this thing over north mayo about 20 mins ago. Very noisy so had to see what it was.
    What does that aircraft do - it has a disc on the underside - is it some kind of survey aircraft the military use

When I google it, this is the result.

6tnN1Xp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This yoke currently parked at pier c DUB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

mickdw wrote: »
    is it some kind of survey aircraft the military use

Electronic/Signals intelligence/countermeasures aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

arccosh wrote: »
    Electronic/Signals intelligence/countermeasures aircraft.

Indeed, Ep-3C Aries/Aries II (SIGINT)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

This yoke currently parked at pier c DUB

Aren't they owned by 2 brothers from malahide? Mcelvadys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

neris wrote: »
    Aren't they owned by 2 brothers from malahide? Mcelvadys?

No they own Omega Aviation tanker services who operate 707s and DC-10s that do contract work with different airforces from around the world.

AirTanker are UK based.

Advertisement