Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

So departures off 10L are in effect prohibited? What happens if it is requested for legitimate operational reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Runway 10R was always the biggest constraint.Thats the one which currently really hurts the A321NEO LR

You always knew it would be a delay if 10 was in operation in the first wave

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No they aren't prohibited. But 10R is the priority runway for takeoffs to the east.

In limited operational or exceptional circumstances, 10L can be used for departures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NYShamrock

It’s being reported by the Spanish pilots Union that 2 Aer Lingus A330s will move to Iberia quite soon…does anyone know anymore about this?

Planning and noise will stop 10 left from being used for departures unless the southern runway is closed.

• Advertisement

The 2022 timetable suggests the entire A330-300 fleet is needed

If the want to -200's currently in store (which have the range Iberia would need for some of its routes) it won't impact 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I’m assuming these are to be -200s of which Aer Lingus still have three on their books; EI-GEY, EI-DAA & EI-DUO

If it turns out to be -300s without a return of the -200s to be the fleet I’d be somewhat concerned as it means the current planned summer schedule can’t be fulfilled without additional lift added.

Has to be -DAA and DUO, owned outright and fitted for long haul operations. EI would stand to generate some cash out of the transaction

Two of the A320 fleet came via Iberia (the ones which fancy tap in the lav's and the window in the partition at L1)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

EI set to return to Miami and eventually launch Montreal in Summer 2022 (At present plans). Latter route, will have heavy exposure to French European routes (regards timings), can see Toronto being up gauged some days with an A330 also due demand, as already noted the 107 is now also daily A333 for S22.

EI re-evaluating plans for A332 storage, however overall ambition is to go A320, A21N, A333. Regards Iberia rumours, I had heard it was a similar job to the Vueling one, temporary in nature ACMI and prior to full deployment of fleet next Summer.

That would be a very positive development if it comes to fruition. I expected a few of the current A321LR operated flights to be up gauged once we'd moved past the initial restart and demand returned to more predictable patterns into next year.

Also note the first two days of MAN-JFK look set to be operated by A330, seat maps still suggest A321LR however. Anyone know if this is due to a delay with G-EIRH as I'd be surprised if it was a demand led decision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Today saw the resumption of Dublin to Orlando. Also today and yesterday both services to JFK EI105/EI107 were operated by A330

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭IQO

Currently looking for flights to The Netherlands around Christmas, and choosing one of the below Aer Lingus options for my return.

I've had bad experiences with Aer Lingus over the last 1,5 year - where they often cancel flights just two weeks in advance, possibly due to lack of demand. F.e. the late flight in this screenshot, EI611 at 8.40pm, does not seem to be operating recently. What are the chances it will actually fly? And if not, would they still move tickets to the next day flights (that are now a bit more expensive) free of charge instead of giving a refund (and having to purchase more expensive KLM or Ryanair tickets)?

With this uncertainty (just have a look on twitter when searching for 'aer lingus refund' or 'cancellation') opposed to Ryanair, which is flying almost all flights they are selling.. I'm wondering how much this is impacting future Aer Lingus bookings now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

impossible to know but the fact it’s so cheap would suggest loads aren’t that high. With 3 flights a day though, they would likely move you to another flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭orionm_73

Looking at the fares available on the DUB-AMS on that day might give you an indication of how busy the outbound flight is. If it has a decent load they won’t just cancel the return flight to DUB.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I would imagine the fact it’s the middle of the Xmas period probably the busiest period for quite a while I’d say you’re pretty safe, if it was mid January I’d be more concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They would unlikely alter flights around Christmas at this stage.

its very normal for the last 2 weeks in Nov to see various flights not operating on routes.

The advise to check the ex DUB on this date is also good and they are highly priced so unlikely to be cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I can only speak for myself here – but I am not willing to risk an Aer Lingus booking these days based on the number of cancellations I've seen.

Besides, there's really bugger all between EI short-haul and FR in terms of comfort and service – and as FR tends to be cheaper, it's a no-brainer.

(As a data point, if there was a decent Premium Economy short-haul offering out of DUB I'd use that by default regardless of price.)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Can you refer to recent cancellations outside of S21 that ended late October?

EI was amongst BA, AF, IB, KL, U2, VY that cancelled flights when they got the go ahead in late May 21 that Summer 21 could go ahead. Some flights had less than 10 pax, it was insane. Granted you may not have seen that on your particular route with another airline but the narrative that EI was cancelling en-masse is boll*x. They withdrew select routes in S21 and indeed had rolling cancellations on some routes, but were very much not alone in doing this. It was impossible to gauge demand and the metrics for doing so have completely changed. Flying 320’s around in some cases with single digit loads was never prudent.

The airline has committed to its schedules for Wi21/22 and here out.

OP, the flight will operate baring any rash decisions taken over the next few weeks by governments.

I only have one data point outside of the summer season, which I posted about above – my friend's DUB-BRU-DUB that was supposed to connect to BOS.

With respect to the future schedule, it'll take a long time for the trust lost this summer to be rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I came back on the 120 last night. About 100 in economy, never got look into business. The crew dead headed to New York the previous day and then went down to Orlando to operate the flight home.

EI had Irish staff in Orlando training the new ground staff in EI procedures etc, service on the ground was slow which was a good thing with such a low load but we got out with a 30 min delay for refuelling (common issue in MCO)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Like introducing a requirement for producing a negative PCR test pre-flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Phen2206

At this stage would that even make an appreciable difference? Omicron is here already, and will be confirmed soon just like we are slowly hearing everywhere else confirm they have it - it has just not been formally sequenced here yet. Everything is open - Pubs, shops, restaurants etc. with people all on top of each other. How is pre-departure testing supposed to help when the new variant has ample opportunity to spread here anyway?

If we were in lockdown, and little chance of the virus spreading within Ireland then I could understand the benefit. But if we stay open as we are and they bring in pre-departure PCR testing to travel here, it is merely optics and white-washing so that the Govt can say they "did something". This will deter a lot of people including me from travelling due to the risks of getting a positive result abroad before coming home and getting stranded. I do feel the Govt have had a bit of a realisation of the importance of the aviation sector to the economy since it reopened last summer. I hope they realise that it cannot cope with another backwards step like this. The WHO is not advising for travel restrictions and instead they recommend waiting for scientific data on transmissibility etc. before making policy decisions. If it is highly transmissible and more dangerous then too late - its already here. Shutting down travel alone won't help, full lockdown would be their only credible option - but it seems the Govt doesn't have an appetite for that and even less so the public.

Travel restrictions are largely pointless at this stage. By the time a variant of concern is identified, it’s very likely to already be in community circulation, possibly for weeks prior to discovery. Even the WHO is now advising against border closures in response to this, they know that restrictions may only slightly reduce the speed of the spread but in doing so places a heavy burden on lives and livelihoods around the world.

The media hysteria surrounding this variant has been astonishing.

Negative test result now required from Friday for entry into Ireland

PCR or 'Professional' Antigen accepted.

Includes arrivals from GB! Comes just a day after Simon Coveney publicly demanded to know whether the UK will uphold the CTA and that Ireland would be excluded from the British Government requirement for entry tests, truly laughable.

Will no doubt do serious harm to Aer Lingus and the wider travel industry in Ireland during the vital Christmas period. Not sure Aer Lingus in particular can afford to lose another peak travel season.

I've just cancelled my week away next month. I'm not prepared to take the risk of being stranded overseas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

A disaster for the industry. I hope this is a very temporary measure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

He has gone to FR or so he says.....until he gets a cheaper price with EI then he is back.

If that's aimed at me, I cancelled my trip because I'm not willing to risk being stranded by the new requirement for a negative test in order to come home. That decision is not related to any airline, EI or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭donkey balls

One of the lads in work is due to go away next month but is having second thoughts over the reintroduced PCR testing, I'm also heading away and while not having second thoughts as there is just 2 of us.

I can see were family's trying to get away could end up paying the best part of €1000, If countries mandate for PCR tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Even more than €1,000 should one test positive or trace elements of a previous infection found, it could cost an extra 2 weeks worth of accommodation.

The recommendation currently is not to get a PCR test within 6 months of testing positive before as there is likely to still be trace elements of the virus in the nasal cavities, which would return a positive result.

Luckily this restriction only seems to be for the next 2 weeks while the impact of Omicron is assessed, which should breathe a sigh of relief to anyone returning in over two weeks from now.

Advertisement