Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Loganair are nice, but the fares they charge are astronomical. I had to go to the Shetlands . My return flights were similar to two return trips to an EU sun spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Amsterdam too, anyway.

But I do agree and I've said it on here before. How Aer Lingus have abandoned Cork post pandemic is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭shamrocka330

Some on here need to remove the emotion and sentimental commentary when it comes to EI and Cork. EI are a commercial operation who exist to make money for their owners and shareholders….therefore, they will operate routes to locations where they make the most money….that’s not to say they won’t make money on routes to/from Cork (FR probably do too) - the fact that EI don’t have more routes from Cork suggest that they can make more money elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Lanzarote too and a few Munich flights around Christmas but yes, it’s a very poor schedule from Cork this winter by the looks of things.

Winter will be very challenging in general across the industry, inflation, economic performance and the energy crisis will really start to hurt as we head into the traditionally quieter months and the uncertainty around any further winter covid waves will further hit confidence. An airline that has suffered to the extent Aer Lingus has in the pandemic simply cannot afford to throw capacity into what will likely be very marginal markets at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Folks, A quick question about the headphones in business class. I'm off to Boston next week flying business class for the first time. I'd like to use my own noise cancelling headphones, but I notice the ones supplied appear to have a three pronged plug on them whereas mine is a standard 2.5mm jack.

Will mine work in the socket or is there an adapter I can get (& name of it if possible)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

Post edited by Shamrockj on

Nothing to do with emotion at all.

I’m not denying EI is a business and can do what they see as most profitable but EI had 4 ac based in Cork in 2019 and Stobart air 3 aircraft. Now down to just 2 ac. Ryanair adding more and more routes this winter 21 currently for this winter while EI have 3 routes for this winter it’s pathetic. They were the biggest carrier in Cork and have given away that market to Ryanair, KLM and Air France.

There’s no denying it’s a drastic reduction but the reasons for doing so are very apparent. The airline suffered disproportionately compared to its nearest rival in the Irish market, it didn’t have the ability to bounce back and now much of that very small market in Cork has been taken by a larger, more agile competitor.

It’s a shame but it’s a symptom of a very difficult few years. Hopefully Aer Lingus’ gradual recovery results in a return to growth at Cork because we all know having your eggs in a Ryanair basket is never a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You need the standard 3.5mm to airline twin plug adapter, works fine

The extra pin you see is to power the headphones, you don't need that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Apologies if this has been answered before but, is there an A330 in the fleet that does not have the standard Business Class config? I have an upcoming flight from Chicago and the map is showing 5 rows of 2+2+2, rather than the 7 rows of mixed single and double seats at the windows.

-EIK and -EIL are ex Qatar in 2-2-2 business with substandard IFE and no Wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

EI-EIL & EI-EIK don't have the standard configuration, they have the old Qatar configuration from their previous owner still.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Are they mostly restricting the 2 odd ball A330s to ORD? I remember they kept GEY mostly on IAD when it had the QR interior still.

Allthough I think I had one of them on the way back from MCO in my sector recently.

Edit: any more word on possible additional second hand A330s being sourced from QR?

One of the 2 almost exclusively does the early Chicago 123 and the second one does usually either the late ORD, BOS, JFK or MCO

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Dublin Airport delays: Aer Lingus check-in problems causing long queues this morning

Not a good morning for EI

That’s twice in recent months they’ve had a major outage like this. BA is also notorious for its systems falling apart every couple of months.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

DAA app showing some shocking delays on morning Aer Lingus flights.

I'm guessing they no longer have the staff numbers on hand (or maybe expertise) to properly handle a manual checkin process.

It’s starting to look very messy for EI now. T2 is rammed and people all over the place outside (thankfully it is a nice afternoon).

If they can’t get the trans Atlantic’s away, they’ll be in a big mess for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭john boye

This morning's EI 232 has just taken off so maybe things are coming back. Everything scheduled for after 2pm today (excl. TATL) has been cancelled though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

And EI232 was the only one to get away, the only Aer Lingus flight to depart since 7:50am.

Their communications are a total mess also, no information being disseminated at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

RTE news : Aer Lingus cancels all flights from Dublin to Europe

What a debacle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭moonshy2022

In fairness to them they did post a lengthy message just prior to your post. A previous message suggested they were unable to communicate with their customers, suggesting this was a nearly all encompassing failure. Those on the ground in airports will be dealing with the 10’s of thousands of passengers at airports.

I’m not entirely sure what people expect them to say, I’m sure irrespective of what they communicated people wouldn’t be happy. So it seems to me they are in a lose/lose situation.

Their Twitter was working perfectly.

Companies need to understand that a simple message saying we’re working on it, next update 30 minutes. Please bear with us etc. Is far far better than nothing for hours.

There will be a huge problem with accommodating ANY of the impacted passengers anywhere near Dublin tonight with GB playing at Croker.

This is going to be terribly damaging for EI. Ryanair will just mop up all these impacted passengers who won’t want to fly with an airline that has an ancient booking system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Will there be any knock on impact for the coming days? First flight in years is Tuesday morning ~ 7am with Aer Lingus - European destination.

It’s not actually the ancient booking system by the sounds of it, it’s the fact it’s on a cloud based system from a UK network provider which has suffered a break in connectivity.

Airlines using cloud based providers isn’t a particularly new phenomenon.

The problem now is that it’s seemingly out of Aer Lingus’ hands and they just have to wait for the connectivity to be restored.

Either way, it’s a complete mess that Aer Lingus really can’t afford after a difficult period and declining passenger satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

It's going to take them a good few days to recover from this, and its going to cost big money too because its almost certainly in scope of 261.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Emerald flights are still operating - small consolation, I know.

EIN5XH (EI586 DUB-AGP) taxiing for departure at 1740 local.

• Advertisement

Paris, Bilbao and Faro departures now heading out.

Advertisement