Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wonder if it’s a runner to lease a couple of contract A330’s or suitable wide body from whomever, just get people moving en masse to European destinations..

I’m open to correction but i doubt EI will be covered by any special provisions such as the Montreal convention…so I doubt refunds will be in the offing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I’m guessing most of the departures we’re seeing now are actually empty, they’d been long cancelled at this stage so are probably flying out to pick up inbounds.

Getting in some leased wide bodies may clear the backlog depending on when systems are back up and running, until then it wouldn’t be much help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Was wondering the same thing. Friend was due to fly to LA today. Queued outside for hours before heading home (after scheduled departure time). Hadn’t got anywhere near the inside yet.

Flight took off an hour or so ago. Wonder what will happen in terms of compensation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

No they're not. Can't comment on Paris but I know Faro and Bilbao were cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

A Ryanair flight sign surely it's an error

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Wonder why they can operate Spain and Portugal inbounds? Do their agents there use a different non impacted system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

RTE reporting the issue has been resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Due to fly Monday morning with aer lingus to bristol at 6.40am for an important work meeting.

Consicious there is a lot of unknowns here but what would be the general consensus as to whether or not that would go ahead given the backlog?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Think it is to do with immigration. Irish authorities seem comfortable to manage with manual records and passport scans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

If you are booked, I would expect that to be honoured in the first instance. It's those whose plans were disrupted today who will need to find, or be found, alternative seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

This sounds like a system hack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

strangley enough I was shopping today and a few stores systems were down and they were taking cash only…. It got me to wondering is there a link with the IT systems used etc! Surely it wasn’t a major coincidence 🤔

The first rule of paying the ransom is never admitting you paid the ransom…

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Somewhere between hard and illegal to hide when you're a PLC

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That its a payment to a non-registered organisation with no tax status is the main issue. It will come out by the time of the next financial audit.

Also, generally has to be made using cryptononsense so there's a whole load of other issues about how said digital tulip bulbs are obtained.

Aw well, have to wait for the next financial reports so.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭moonshy2022

As I said in my post they had tweeted twice prior to your post. They HAD apologised by then and they HAD updated just prior to your post.

Like I said, with some people you just can’t win. Even if they had tweeted every 30 mins the next complaint would have been there’s nothing new in that tweet.

seriously they were working hard, there was loads of info online available from many people, they had tweeted updates, but bare in mind all social media staff available were likely up to their teeth at that point responding to people individually.

were you even affected by this shutdown ? Or is it just a general moan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

I was affected anyway and it was absolutely shocking communication.

joined the Q outside T2 at 1130am for a 3pm flight and the only information we had was that tweet apologising and they were working on it. No Aer Lingus staff on hand to give any info just ‘join the queue’.

left the Q after only moving 100m in an hour and booked a Ryanair flight at their ticket desk for 100€ each. Thanks Ryanair, as always on top of things during disruption!

Aer Lingus flight was cancelled in the end but first contact from them was an auto email received last night at 2am rebooking us for next available flight on Thursday!!

edit to say: Kudos to the staff/marshalls dealing with the Q outside. Mostly young lads but walking around with crates of water for anybody who wanted them. They obvs learnt from the Qs few months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yesterday will have cost them an absolute fortune in EU-261 claims I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Aer Lingus IT dept is shockingly bad . Blaming it on a cloud provider / network provider is one thing - any link can break , but its basic stuff to have a fallback , and for the fallback system to also go off is a sign of poor planning and execution . Did anyone see a CEO or COO on the ground yesterday ? Bet they werent' helping in the queues.

Worst, in my view was customer service deleting tweets last night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I have no insight and am not defending the airline but would you not hope that that the CEO, COO etc. were doing their actual jobs, which is to manage, direct and make decisions? I doubt they just took the day off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

If it’s the case that better investment in IT could have prevented this, I’m can’t say if that’s true or not, but if it is… I kinda hope it does cost them a fortune because it may teach them that penny pinching ultimately has a cost…

Its the frontline/ground staff and severely disrupted passengers I really feel for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Yes, I was caught up in that my friend was flying from Manchester to Dublin and eventually got booked on the last Ryanair from Manchester. No help from EI, said it was a mess there with no info.

Even if it was a "general moan" it would be warranted. Airlines need to have much better back up systems in place. Nothing wrong with systems going down, but the back up should be up and running much quicker than happened her.

To me, this felt like another poor business decision to cut costs and lack investment like so many other areas in the airline of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Lack of redundancy/back-up seems fairly par for the course in IAG. Remember the various BA meltdowns. The model is to sweat the assets. It's still cheaper for them to clean up a mess than prevent the mess from happening so they'll continue to do that until the opposite is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

EI going down for a day and we only get a few posts ?

only corporate affairs fronting media yesterday, no media from CEO showing any kind of leadership ..... oh to be a fly on the wall and watch the blame game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The IT setup in EI predates IAG even the cloud element. There are some very good arguments in favour of what they did and it worked really well until last weekend. The service provider took out EI and a number of other businesses. But it didn't appear they even had a reboot on the actual core equipment, it was as simple fibre cut.

BA outsourced the whole deal and is running a very very complex PSS/DCS from Amedius Altéa (aka Fly) which is amazingly good on paper but can collapse and when it does getting it back up is very painful

This is difficult stuff to do and even with infinite $$$ stuff breaks. EI's core code has run for hundreds of thousands of hours so the risk is more hardware than software as this issue show

Post edited by goingnowhere on

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭sherology

I tend to agree, based on the rarity of EI IT issues over the years. Seems like it's always up. Once investigated, it can't happen again though, so their external cloud provider needs a backup cable provider. I assume they will be liable for the costs EI has incurred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

One of the things I've learned from a long career in IT is that the words "can't happen" represent optimism to the point of foolishness. My all time favourite was seeing a data centre go offline due to the failure of two redundant links at the same time despite them going from completely different areas of the building. It subsequently turned out that the contractor doing the installation had routed both into the same conduit further downstream, right where a digger could cut them both simultaneously :)

Anyway, dragging this slightly back on topic, I wonder whether anyone found a hotel room in Dublin that night given that Garth Brooks was on....

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Advertisement