Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

What a joke of a deal that was

Waste of tax payers money

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

KrustyUCC wrote: »

In fairness, they didn't know what was coming. Right decision to pull out now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

South Korea closed 100s of schools, museums restaurants as second wave hits after easing of restrictions.

They're not calling it a second wave at all. It's a cluster of cases linked to a distribution centre where an employee was forced to go into work while sick. They're being cautious for the next 2 weeks and most restrictions are only in Seoul with only some places closing. All employees at the distribution centre and their contacts are being traced and tested.

55 new cases today and 177 over 3 days in a population of over 50 million, far from a second wave now is it ?? Read past the headline

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

South Korea closed 100s of schools, museums restaurants as second wave hits after easing of restrictions.

They closed them in the Seoul metropolitan area only, after they had 79 new cases in a day in a country of 51 million - hardly the definition of a second wave now is it?

And they didn't close restaurants either, just museums, parks, and art galleries

https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/28/coronavirus-restrictions-return-in-south-korea-after-new-spike-in-covid-19-cases

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/28/south-korea-faces-return-to-coronavirus-restrictions-after-spike-in-new-cases

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I reckon this BH weekend will be the last big push for Garda check points.
    I think that if phase 2 proceeds as initially planned, with more shops reopening and travelling distance up to 20 km, it will be increasingly difficult for AGS to police this.

I still think that the 20 km rule should be done with altogether in phase 2, although I don't see it happening. As "fatigue" will continue building up, more people will end up breaking the distance rule - and I include myself on that list, already 10 weeks of no real interaction with friends, so I plan to travel to Dublin and meet them in June between phases 2 and 3 - obviously maintaining the rest of the protocol about distance (and I will also wear a mask on the bus). Thank God that work has kept me busy the last couple of weeks.

I understand that the whole idea of travel restrictions was to assist with the contact tracing (so the authorities wouldn't have to "chase" people around the country), but if 2.5 months down the road they don't have the contact tracing in place, I doubt they ever will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

They are reacting quickly and in specific areas only. That is good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

They closed them in the Seoul metropolitan area only, after they had 79 new cases in a day in a country of 51 million - hardly the definition of a second wave now is it?

https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/28/coronavirus-restrictions-return-in-south-korea-after-new-spike-in-covid-19-cases

News outlets are really squeezing headlines now arent they. The minute there are 3 new cases on Madagascar island we will hear about it, lock up your children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

dalyboy wrote: »
    And it’s a law I break proudly. I have to travel 15kms to see my kids. If I get fined I’ll rip it up. Not one cent of a fine would I pay for my parental responsibilities.

Travel for child access has been one of the allowed exceptions to the non-essential travel restrictions from the very beginning. It's in the legislation which brought in the emergency restrictions - section 4.2(n) of SI 121 of 2020.

4. (1) An applicable person shall not leave his or her place of residence without reasonable excuse.

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of what constitutes a reasonable excuse for the purposes of paragraph (1), such reasonable excuse includes an applicable person leaving his or her place of residence (in this paragraph referred to as the “relevant residence”) to -
    (n) if the applicable person is a parent or guardian of a child, or a person having a right of access to a child, give effect to arrangements for access to the child by

(i) the applicable person, or

(ii) another person who is -

(I) a parent or guardian of the child, or

(II) a person having a right of access to the child,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Good call to get into it and just as good a call to get out of it now. Better to be accused of overreacting as they say.

And they didn't close restaurants either, just museums, parks, and art galleries

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/28/south-korea-faces-return-to-coronavirus-restrictions-after-spike-in-new-cases

Yup and 177 in the last 3 days. Cant exactly call that a wave. It's the same as a handful of cases here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

the kelt wrote: »
    Oh I got a dose of it today.

It’s my daughters birthday and there’s a local garden and cafe that have started up again doing takeaway food etc and a great line of takeaway smoothies.

So as treat I brought my two daughters this morning around 11 or so for a smoothie whilst mammy finishes the birthday cake and to give her a bit of peace.

So as I que for the smoothie an atypical Karen or a stfah Sharon from Facebook as I refer to them turns to me as I stand with my kids and she’s fully kitted out with mask gloves and the lot, looks me up and down and with a scowl asks “should they really be out with you?”

So a bit taken aback I said excuse me, she grunts and said “at the very least they should be wearing masks even though it’s is school time and I suppose no school as you’re down for the weekend anyway as she nods at my car”

Of course it’s then I realise my reg is a 192 D reg car as she nods to it.

So I said told both of my girls that maybe they should wait by the picnic bench that was in the shade rather than standing in the sun with me and I let Karen/Sharon have it with both barrels.

Told her she would be better off minding her own business to begin with and if she had any kind of wit or brains she could plainly see the sticker on the car and where it’s actually bought and do I sound like I’m from Dublin albeit probably not as diplomatically as that to be fair.

This results in Karen actually asking for the owner/manager I sh1t you not, of course when he comes we actually know each other well so he greets me says hello and she tells him it’s not right that me and my kids are allowed in here with others with no masks and when she asked me about it I abused her and told her to mind my own business. She queries whether I’m even within my 5k

The manager again looks at me, I tell him the story and he informs Karen that there’s no rules in regarding to masks or bringing kids and what’s more he knows me and knows I’m well within the 5k limit etc.

The funny thing is after queuing Karen turns on her heels, storms out and me and the manager look at each other trying to figure out who the hell she is.

They’re everywhere, the whole lockdown has actually given them a reason to exist.

My answer to those people has been
    ‘Don’t you realize that talking spreads the virus, don’t speak to me!’
    It’s worked a charm.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I reckon this BH weekend will be the last big push for Garda check points.
    I think that if phase 2 proceeds as initially planned, with more shops reopening and travelling distance up to 20 km, it will be increasingly difficult for AGS to police this.

I still think that the 20 km rule should be done with altogether in phase 2, although I don't see it happening. As "fatigue" will continue building up, more people will end up breaking the distance rule - and I include myself on that list, already 10 weeks of no real interaction with friends, so I plan to travel to Dublin and meet them in June between phases 2 and 3 - obviously maintaining the rest of the protocol about distance (and I will also wear a mask on the bus). Thank God that work has kept me busy the last couple of weeks.

I understand that the whole idea of travel restrictions was to assist with the contact tracing (so the authorities wouldn't have to "chase" people around the country), but if 2.5 months down the road they don't have the contact tracing in place, I doubt they ever will.

Checkpoints are being scaled down this weekend, they've not got the man power to have them at the same levels as the last few bank holidays, overtime isn't being approved. The commissioner has been fairly upfront in saying it's getting harder to enforce the restrictions

Irish times
    "While an enforcement operation will be in place this weekend, it is expected to be on a smaller scale and will focus on road safety rather than enforcing the movement restrictions."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

RTE: No significant increase of virus spread since restrictions eased

An expert tasked with measuring the spread of the Covid-19 for the National Public Health Emergency Team has said that since restrictions began to be eased on 18 May, all indicators suggest there has been no significant increased spread of the virus.

RTE link

What happened to the second wave that was predicted by UCC professor Killeen on the tonight show?

Huge win for Ryanair: The executive director of the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), Patrick Ky has said that he agrees with Ryanair chief executive Michael O’Leary that it is safe to fly.

EASA in agreement with Ryanair's Michael O'Leary that passengers now safe to fly amid Covid-19.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Greece haven't Ireland on its approved list of countries that can visit from June 15th. Anyone any idea why?
    Norway is on this list, Germany, Austria and many others...

https://greece.greekreporter.com/2020/05/21/greece-releases-list-of-first-20-nations-that-can-send-tourists-to-the-country/

I saw on social media in Galway they've closed the carpark to Silverstrand beach, and the area around the Claddagh. What a joke.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Good call to get into it and just as good a call to get out of it now. Better to be accused of overreacting as they say.

Initially yes but there should have been more safeguards built into the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I wonder has there been any evidence of outdoor transmission in Ireland. Seems like transmission has been almost entirely in indoor settings in Ireland, eg residential homes, family homes, factories, hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Greece haven't Ireland on its approved list of countries that can visit from June 15th. Anyone any idea why?

https://greece.greekreporter.com/2020/05/21/greece-releases-list-of-first-20-nations-that-can-send-tourists-to-the-country/

I saw on social media in Galway they've closed the carpark to Silverstrand beach, and the area around the Claddagh. What a joke.

I would imagine our proximity to our neighbours and that we haven't done that well really in terms of our numbers of cases or death. The UK and France aren't on that list either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Its just daft. The chances of infections in outdoor scenarios are minimal/non existent.

Very little hope of shortening the phases if Leo is to be believed

"It takes at least two weeks to know if the actions to ease restrictions are having an effect, it will be next week before we can determine whether we can move to Phase Two."

Our glacially slow lockdown will continue

• Advertisement

"It will be next week before we can determine whether we can move to Phase Two."

If they can't even move to phase two without causing a scene, forget about phase four and five.

Honestly who is running this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

RobitTV wrote: »
    "It will be next week before we can determine whether we can move to Phase Two."

If they can't even move to phase two without causing a scene, forget about phase four and five.

Honestly who is running this country?

Medical advice.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

You can’t catch cancer, strokes or even injuries from many people so you have no need to avoid them for those reasons.
    You’re the one scaremongering now.
    I’m no expert on Covid-19 so I rely on the experts for my advice.

Way to go and spectacularly miss the point, I never mentioned anything about contagiousness or catching cancer at the supermarket.

The point I was making was that people get diagnosed with horrible diseases and conditions every day, and people pass away every day too. And it isn’t just from coronavirus.
    If the media was reporting on the hour every hour the updated number of confirmed cancer cases, or heart attacks, or any other illness, people would be terrified.
    It would cause mass hysteria and anxiety, much in the way that coronavirus has.

People would be afraid to sit in the sun for fear of developing melanoma, afraid to go to the pub in case they come into contact with second hand smoke, unable to enjoy a burger in case they have a heart attack, the list goes on.

All these numbers do is serve to frighten people into obeying. Every news bulletin the 24k+ cases are mentioned, but they never dwell on the fact that over 22k of them are now fully recovered. But 2k just doesn’t pack as much punch when you’re trying to terrify the public.
    It’s a dishonest and disingenuous representation of the current situation here and it shouldn’t be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭Penfailed

dalyboy wrote: »
    And it’s a law I break proudly. I have to travel 15kms to see my kids. If I get fined I’ll rip it up. Not one cent of a fine would I pay for my parental responsibilities.

You aren't breaking any law in that situation. How do you not know this already?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Stark wrote: »
    Where did you see that? Many gardaí have been making it up as they go along from what I've seen.

Can’t remember now , said something in the lines of “ gardai will be fining and turning around people”

I seen sn article on the The Irish Times they are scaling down covid 19 enforcement this weekend concentrating more on road safety etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Surely this list is subject to change though? I’ve every intention of heading to Greece in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

This is something at least - "Taoiseach has confirmed schools will reopen at the end of August"

"secondary schools and primary schools will reopen fully at the start of the school year"
    Assume that means none of the nonsense around reduced class sizes or staggered attendance days?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/taoiseach-has-confirmed-schools-will-reopen-at-the-end-of-august-1.4265863

Of course, you can't believe anything they say will happen these days until it has actually happened. Pretty sad to not be able to fully believe an announcement from the Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

They're not calling it a second wave at all. It's a cluster of cases linked to a distribution centre where an employee was forced to go into work while sick. They're being cautious for the next 2 weeks and most restrictions are only in Seoul with only some places closing. All employees at the distribution centre and their contacts are being traced and tested.

55 new cases today and 177 over 3 days in a population of over 50 million, far from a second wave now is it ?? Read past the headline

Exactly but you gotta love posters trying to make it sound worse and that the second coming is nigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Initially yes but there should have been more safeguards built into the deal
    That's for next time! Swiftness over perfection was the only plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Surely this list is subject to change though? I’ve every intention of heading to Greece in September.

I read somewhere that Greece will be reviewing that List frequently.

It started as 19 Countries, then 20 now 29.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement