Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Social distancing will be out the window in a matter of weeks, it's just not practical to live life caring that much and people do not have the capacity to adhere to it for too long. For example, riding; imagine being told there shall be no riding anymore, laughable.

Funny you should say it

"The German government aims to maintain social distancing rules until at least July 5, according to a draft policy seen by the AFP news agency.

The decision has been made in the face of a revolt by regional states, the agency reports.

A working paper from Chancellor Angela Merkel's office would extend by a month existing contact restrictions "to maintain a distance of 1.5 metres (5 feet) between people. It will also require people to wear masks in certain public areas, such as supermarkets and on public transport.

The news comes as two eastern states, Thuringia and Saxony, announced a drastic opening up in defiance of Berlin's guidelines from June 6."

The 2 states mentioned at the bottom basically want to do away with ALL the restrictions by 6th of June incl social distancing, I know some posters could get a heart attack reading this

"Thuringia could become the first state to completely lift restrictions aiming to slow the spread of coronavirus. State premier Bodo Ramelow has triggered a heated debate on whether this is a sensible local response."

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭vid36

marno21 wrote: »
    Time for Leo to come out next week after the Bank Holiday weekend and announce a significantly accelerated lockdown easing programme.

The rest of the world has cautiously reopened with positive results. Countries that were much worse hit than us are opening much faster with no detriment.

The amount of money being pissed down the drain at the minute is scandalous and will be a much bigger problem down the line than any issues with covid.

Minimal community transmission today but yet I can't go beyond 2km for another 8 weeks. Time for common sense and into the real world.

Look at the US opening.Cases and death rates have plateaued instead of declining.The R number is above 1 in 28 states.Threshold of 100,000 deaths will be passed in the new couple of days and it is on course for 200,000 deaths by the end of June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Social distancing will be out the window in a matter of weeks, it's just not practical to live life caring that much and people do not have the capacity to adhere to it for too long. For example, riding; imagine being told there shall be no riding anymore, laughable.

A little Perspex window on wheels with a glory hole in it - “bend over there love while I move this yoke in to place”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Alarmingly, from what gets said on here, I think some would gladly never get the ride again if Tony didnt ok it

vid36 wrote: »
    Look at the US opening.Cases and death rates have plateaued instead of declining.The R number is above 1 in 28 states.Threshold of 100,000 deaths will be passed in the new couple of days and it is on course for 200,000 deaths by the end of June.

Well it needs to pick up some pace as 2.8 million people die in US per year. You cant scare them with some little disease that claims 200k in 6 months. Hence why R number is as high as you say it is, in 28 states!

• Advertisement

This is pretty interesting

"17:24 Spain has lowered the number of coronavirus fatalities by 1,918, bringing it down to 28,752, health officials have said.

The head of the country's emergency medical body, Fernando Simon, said that the revision was due to "various factors" including some fatalities being counted twice and others that have been attributed to COVID-19 without proper analysis.

Separately, the EU state said they would lift quarantine measures for foreign tourists on July 1.

Restaurants and bars in Spain's biggest cities, including Barcelona and capital Madrid, have reopened as half the population entered stage one of the government's lockdown easing plans."

A lot of stuff to think about there and a lot of positive stuff to look forward to also. Do I trust Tony H with counting? you know the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Difference is our numbers have already gone down to what we were originally told they should be where as over there they didn't.

The government here keeps shifting the goalposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

road_high wrote: »
    Sooner the better really

I have seen alot of your post's about the restrictions and iv agreed with everyone of them because you posted alot of sense but im sorry the above post is not a good one in regards to the post you quoted with the above.

I like many am on the 350 a week and i am very grateful for it. I want to go back to work so i can earn my money but i cant so until the end of June. If the 350 is reduced i like many other could end up in a financial bind. The way i see the payment is that after all my years working its only right i have access to such a payment so i can survive.

The government have done more wrong than right in my eyes including the dragging out of these restrictions but the covid payment was not one of those wrongs. A big problem is that full payment was given to people even if they only worked a handful of hours. That was a mistake. It seems the government panicked and it has become the mess it is now.

I realise i may have mis read the context your post so by all means tell me if i have. If i haven't i stand by my post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭plodder

To me, one meter is the normal social distance. How often would you be closer than one meter to someone.
    Most of the time in pubs, night clubs, on crowded buses and trains, concerts, cinemas, football matches, basically all the places where the virus spreads most rapidly (the indoor ones anyway). None of the above are likely to restart with one metre of distancing, unless they can be reconfigured to guarantee the metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Say what you want about Leo (and i think he needs to get out of government buildings asap never to return, with Tony & journalism student Simon) but the way he is rocking them shades yesterday in the park with beers, chilling and then no one dies off covid the next day. Co incidence is pretty amazing

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5467128/coronavirus-ireland-taoiseach-leo-varadkar-phoenix-park/

Anyways he should be working around the clock getting creative ideas of getting businesses back on track (Vienna local business vouchers say hello) not consuming beers. He might just get too drunk and reckless and open the country too quickly oh wait

In the other news, WHO are as always doom and gloom, ifs buts and maybes

18:40 The outbreak could ramp up again and more quickly if anti-pandemic restrictions are lifted too soon, Word Health Organization (WHO) emergencies chief Mike Ryan has warned.

"We cannot make assumptions that just because the disease is on the way down now it is going to keep going down and we get a number of months to get ready for a second wave," Ryan said. "We may get a second peak in this wave."

Kind of feel like WHO is basically a group of Gerrys Killeens

I though we reached a new low in January 1st when Leo posed topless with Matt at the 40 foot, shameless. Now topless, with Matt, and two other topless friends, in tight shorts. Does he know he is a middle aged man? and supposed to be leading a Country.....
    The worst part though was the poor member of An Garda Siochana who had to stand by and watch over all this while wearing a full uniform and hat. How totally self absorbed would you need to be to put someone through that, sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Retro.

I though we reached a new low in January 1st when Leo posed topless with Matt at the 40 foot, shameless. Now topless, with Matt, and two other topless friends, in tight shorts. Does he know he is a middle aged man? and supposed to be leading a Country.....
    The worst part though was the poor member of An Garda Siochana who had to stand by and watch over all this while wearing a full uniform and hat. How totally self absorbed would you need to be to put someone through that, sickening.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Man enjoys sun shocker. Get off the stage will ya? Do you want him chained to his office in government buildings or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

alta stare wrote: »
    I have seen alot of your post's about the restrictions and iv agreed with everyone of them because you posted alot of sense but im sorry the above post is not a good one in regards to the post you quoted with the above.

I like many am on the 350 a week and i am very grateful for it. I want to go back to work so i can earn my money but i cant so until the end of June. If the 350 is reduced i like many other could end up in a financial bind. The way i see the payment is that after all my years working its only right i have access to such a payment so i can survive.

The government have done more wrong than right in my eyes including the dragging out of these restrictions but the covid payment was not one of those wrongs. A big problem is that full payment was given to people even if they only worked a handful of hours. That was a mistake. It seems the government panicked and it has become the mess it is now.

I realise i may have mis read the context your post so by all means tell me if i have. If i haven't i stand by my post above.

I don’t mean it should be got rid of completely of course people need support. I was initially in favour of the allowance and it was very necessary. What I would like is the phases to be quickened drastically and people on it back to work and thus off it and not needing it. Also it must be reduced pro rata for people that didn’t earn €350 per week before this.
    That’s all I meant but I was perhaps too glib in original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Jim Root wrote: »
    Man enjoys sun shocker. Get off the stage will ya? Do you want him chained to his office in government buildings or something?

I'd just like who ever is supposedly leading the Country to keep their clothes on in public, not much to ask and within the capabilities of his predecessors. The "Topless Taoiseach" indeed.

rob316 wrote: »
    No deaths today, single figure infection figures in a couple weeks. Ridiculous this over cautious approach, open the gaff up!

the Leaving Cert could have gone ahead with much less hassle than students are going go face now - it was a very panicked decision with no real thought of the consequences.

I'd just like who ever is supposedly leading the Country to keep their clothes on in public, not much to ask and within the capabilities of his predecessors. The "Topless Taoiseach" indeed.

Well to be fair Leo probably has a better body than Brian Cowen or Enda (then Enda isn't in bad shape these days, very rugged and wild looking ;);))

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Im far from a Leo's biggest admirer and he has shown himself to be a poor leader this far, but what he did yesterday was beneficial I think in a roundabout way. He's shown us life needs to go on, beers and a picnic with friends is important, we can't stay living in fear. Let normality resume.
    He is human at least.
    Tony H on the other hand has a callousness and roboticness to his delivery on each press conference, and appears devoid of any sign of emotion, or ability to empart a qlimmer of hope to those living in fear of this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

And also in many states that have reopened, the death and hospitalisation rate is still dropping. The situation will have to drastically change for the deaths to double in a month. I'm not buying it but let's see. The boards boffins have been predicting the downfall of the US for months now and the total collapse of the healthcare system. Still waiting.

Well to be fair Leo probably has a better body than Brian Cowen or Enda (then Enda isn't in bad shape these days, very rugged and wild looking ;);))

He's a very sexy guy

I'd like to play hide the sausage

Im far from a Leo's biggest admirer and he has shown himself to be a poor leader this far, but what he did yesterday was beneficial I think in a roundabout way. He's shown us life needs to go on, beers and a picnic with friends is important, we can't stay living in fear. Let normality resume.
    He is human at least.
    Tony H on the other hand has a callousness and roboticness to his delivery on each press conference, and appears devoid of any sign of emotion, or ability to empart a qlimmer of hope to those living in fear of this thing.

Holohan has been the ringer in chief, I put a lot of the blame of the hysteria on his shoulders. He seems like quite an uncompromising dogged type- that would give you a lethal injection with a grin on his face. He should have been brushed aside long ago and if we had a properly functioning democracy he would have been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Jim Root wrote: »

Tight shorts, get him out of office now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Oh my god, enough with the pearl clutching. He’s just as entitled to enjoy the nice weather as the rest of us.
    I am by no means a fan of his nor have I ever supported FG but some perspective is seriously needed here, it’s only a bit of skin ffs.
    And why do you keep referencing his partner Matt, what has that got to do with anything? Why do you care so much about the ‘tight shorts’?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Retro. wrote: »
    He's a very sexy guy

Jesus, lockdown must have you fit to ride the wind if you could with that comment.

Since Varadkar took office a few years ago everything he does has been about PR and photo oops.
    The little trip to the Park was well orchestrated as it would mean more attention for him, the “one of us” Leo today

He's a very sexy guy

with Leo or with Enda ??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I was fully onboard with the restrictions at the start and I am lucky enough to be considered an essential worker so have been able to get out of the house every day but enough is enough. My little daughter just turned seven in April and was in first class. She was always a little worrier but in the last few weeks this has gone off the scale. She gets extremely anxious over the slightest thing now. She has only seen or heard from 2 of her classmates since this began. The schools being off for so long is doing untold damage to these young kids but guess what? The teachers have absolutely no ****ing intention of going back. If the government announced the schools were reopening there would be ****ing uproar. They are on holidays now and that’s that, screw the kids.

I don’t care about myself in this thing, I can handle it but I’m getting very worried about her now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Are you more bothered by the fact that he was topless with Matt or topless with Matt and two other friends or just topless? And what has this got to do with the restrictions? He is entitled to enjoy the sun as much as anyone else. Also what difference does it make that he was watched by a guard wearing a full uniform AND a hat. ??
    Maybe they should have all gotten together and performed the YMCA now that would have really set you over the edge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

He's a very sexy guy

Strange comment

Are you more bothered by the fact that he was topless with Matt or topless with Matt and two other friends or just topless. And what has this got to do with the restrictions? He is entitled to enjoy the sun as much as anyone else. Also what difference does it make that he was watched by a guard wearing a full uniform AND a hat. ??
    Maybe they should have all gotten together and performed the YMCA now that would have really set you over the edge

It's a gag

• Advertisement

I’d have Cowen back in the morning and I’m FG. He called a spade a spade, had absolutely no airs or graces about him and I do believe he’d have a lot more empathy towards the ordinary man through this. Leo is aloof and lives on another planet as far as I’m concerned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement