Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ahh its good to talk to you too. Remember you were dismissing scientists? Something along the lines of "he is just 1 scientist". Thats backfiring for you a little bit isnt it

I didn't dismiss the guy as I recall, I just treated what he had to say with a degree of scepticism.

It's handy that we can never really know whether his predictions were right or not because we have had two months of lockdown, which was put in place to limit the spread of the virus. And now the spread of the virus has been curbed. We haven't been able to test his no lockdown hypothesis in the real world. If lockdowns work he can't actually lose with his predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    people expecting to see changes after 1 week LOL
    personally I'm enjoying the relaxation of restrictions while at the same time feeling safer than before when going to the shops knowing that we have very low numbers right now

I dont think anyone fit enough to do shopping for themselves should feel any safer with numbers low or high. This is primarily effecting those of a certain life stage.

Outside that stage of life the risk is lower than driving a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Retro.

rob316 wrote: »
    No deaths today, single figure infection figures in a couple weeks. Ridiculous this over cautious approach, open the gaff up!

Takeaways are already open

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Median incubation period is 5 days so we would be starting to see it around now really or certainly soon

There will still be an lag in confirmed cases, even if the median incubation period is roughly 5 days. There have been numerous reports of people not developing symptoms until about two weeks - hence the two week isolation period.

They reckon they'll have a more accurate picture by the end of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Retro. wrote: »
    Takeaways are already open

They never closed. Get our retail and hospitality going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uli84

UK opening primary schools on the 1st of June, jealous I am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52792769

Not a fan of mr Johnson but he’s right in saying "the education of our children is crucial for their welfare, their health, their long-term future and for social justice". Pity something so simple is going amiss in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

RobitTV wrote: »
    Here we go the misery merchants are back. Yawn...

I see they’re all fixated on their blessed “second wave” now. I’m switching out of this rubbish gradually and do what I can in life. I wish these freaks would nail themselves into a cupboard somewhere and let us all get on with living

rob316 wrote: »
    They never closed. Get our retail and hospitality going

It was a gag

Open the Gaff...... takeaways

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

uli84 wrote: »
    UK opening primary schools on the 1st of June, jealous I am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52792769

Not a fan of mr Johnson but he’s right in saying "the education of our children is crucial for their welfare, their health, their long-term future and for social justice".

Be careful with that sort of crazy carry on around here. Usually we'd say "UK are experimenting with their children" while "we love our children".

As Leo said it would look pretty bad on us to be last country on earth to get our children back to school.

*Proceeds on making sure that thats exactly what happens*

Podge201 wrote: »
    Is it next week the covid payment is being reduced?

Sooner the better really

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Time for Leo to come out next week after the Bank Holiday weekend and announce a significantly accelerated lockdown easing programme.

The rest of the world has cautiously reopened with positive results. Countries that were much worse hit than us are opening much faster with no detriment.

The amount of money being pissed down the drain at the minute is scandalous and will be a much bigger problem down the line than any issues with covid.

Minimal community transmission today but yet I can't go beyond 2km for another 8 weeks. Time for common sense and into the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Arghus wrote: »
    Nice to see confirmation there that this thread is an outlier in terms of public opinion.

Ye can shout all ye want lads and give out as much as ye want, but most people - in fact the vast majority of people - don't agree.

No its not an outlier in anyway whatsoever among the working class, private sector employee's, with kids and mortgages. Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Possibly, but their latest poll does show that the majority of the public think the current system is correct so its a balance of what the public wants/opinions and business lobbying at this point: https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1264968743253422080?s=20

So the relaxation of restrictions thread on Boards isn't a true representation of how the country feels about exiting lockdown? I'm shocked!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Emmersonn wrote: »

A change from their usual headlines of bar responds to bad TripAdvisor review. Worst website ever full of clickbait

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Blaze420 wrote: »
    The official WHO advice is 1 metre- the 2 metre thing is Tony’s own idea based on that. It needs to be reduced for public transport to function at some level, for restaurants etc to be able to function at some level and for a restart of some sort of normality in the economy.

The only disgraceful thing is misery merchants like you who just wish we could all go back to the good old days of March and stay there.

Absolutely not.

WHO have said today 70% of droplets are expelled within one meter. That means the other 30% go beyond one meter.

To me, one meter is the normal social distance. How often would you be closer than one meter to someone.

Btw, the WHO have lost all credibility during this. I get my recommendation from CDC who state it’s six feet you need to stay in.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/social-distancing.html

There is no misery merchants mate, there is a lot of people who are aware that the government failed us.

- not enough PPE available initially which led to the lie about masks
    - masks don’t work, only HCW need a mask, eight weeks later they backtrack and try to cover their tracks and recommend a face covering all the while every other country in the world is mandating face coverings. Mexico are shooting people outdoors who aren’t wearing masks. CDC recommends masks for everyone, but our Mickey Mouse country wont mandate it.
    - no need to close borders
    - 5000 people flown in from Italy for a match that didn’t happen, people have continued free movement to bring the bug into our state
    - no need to stop visitors in nursing homes was said by Tony Holohan as recent as March 7th, nursing homes had to take that measure into their own hands
    - majority of people who presented to the hospital were not even offered ICU care and palliated at the door
    - the most vulnerable in society were not protected, nursing homes got absolutely ripped apart but joe public didn’t care cause it was poor old Tommy’s 90 year old granny who had ‘underlying health problems’
    - now we get to the latest lies - reduce social distancing back to 1 meter (in my opinion normal social etiquette distancing) because the HSE can’t function with two meter rule and because the pubs want to re-open.

Give me a break.

the only Misery merchant is you, you’ll be wallowing in misery twice as much when the second wave comes and you aren’t allowed leave your house for groceries , all because you don’t want to wear a mask or stay two meters away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I am currently temporarily laid off through no fault of my own, I will struggle on the €203 payment. A lot.
    My dad is also out of work and my parents are relying on me helping them out to keep themselves afloat.

I’d only be in favour of removing the €350 covid payment if they are willing to move to stage 5 and let everyone go back to work.
    It would be very unfair to remove it while still preventing the majority of industries from opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I dont think anyone fit enough to do shopping for themselves should feel any safer with numbers low or high. This is primarily effecting those of a certain life stage.

Outside that stage of life the risk is lower than driving a car

Plenty of young people - or young enough - reported heavy symptoms
    I honestly wouldn't want to take my chances

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

prunudo wrote: »
    Why is it disgraceful. Because they're opening too quick? Changing the goal posts? Making it up as they go along? Or making the rules to suit whatever the agenda of the day is?

All of the above, making it up as they go along is the big one though ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Absolutely not.

WHO have said today 70% of droplets are expelled within one meter. That means the other 30% go beyond one meter.

To me, one meter is the normal social distance. How often would you be closer than one meter to someone.

Btw, the WHO have lost all credibility during this. I get my recommendation from CDC who state it’s six feet you need to stay in.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/social-distancing.html

There is no misery merchants mate, there is a lot of people who are aware that the government failed us.

- masks don’t work, only HCW need a mask, eight weeks later they backtrack and try to cover their tracks and recommend a face covering all the while every other country in the world is mandating face coverings. Mexico are shooting people outdoors who aren’t wearing masks. CDC recommends masks for everyone, but our Mickey Mouse country wont mandate it.
    - 5000 people flown in from Italy for a match that didn’t happen, people have continued free movement to bring the bug into our state
    - no need to stop visitors in nursing homes was said by Tony Holohan as recent as March 7th, nursing homes had to take that measure into their own hands
    - majority of people who presented to the hospital were not even offered ICU care and palliated at the door
    - the most vulnerable in society were not protected, nursing homes got absolutely ripped apart but joe public didn’t care cause it was poor old Tommy’s 90 year old granny who had ‘underlying health problems’
    - now we get to the latest lies - reduce social distancing back to 1 meter (in my opinion normal social etiquette distancing) because the HSE can’t function with two meter rule and because the pubs want to re-open.

Give me a break.

the only Misery merchant is you, you’ll be wallowing in misery twice as much when the second wave comes and you aren’t allowed leave your house for groceries , all because you don’t want to wear a mask or stay two meters away.

Do yourself a favor and lock yourself in the house until dear Tony tells you he thinks it’s completely safe for you to leave (which won’t be for a long time). The rest of us meanwhile have to get the economy back on track and moving again, this bull**** has gone on long enough at this point and enough is enough.

If you want to stay scared, stay scared and stay at home.

marno21 wrote: »
    Time for Leo to come out next week after the Bank Holiday weekend and announce a significantly accelerated lockdown easing programme.

The rest of the world has cautiously reopened with positive results. Countries that were much worse hit than us are opening much faster with no detriment.

The amount of money being pissed down the drain at the minute is scandalous and will be a much bigger problem down the line than any issues with covid.

Minimal community transmission today but yet I can't go beyond 2km for another 8 weeks. Time for common sense and into the real world.

At this stage most sensible people treat economy developments & October budget as a leaving cert student who hasnt studied and feels like he will do very badly in his exam, just a matter of how badly. But then miracle, predicted grades, good stuff.

Except for miracles dont happen in the real world. Tony H cant just "cancel the October budget"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,492 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Leo is my TD. I did spam him

Fair play.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

He's hiding behind the advice

You're Chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Absolutely not.

Give me a break.

Give it a rest, when the second wave comes... you have no clue if a second wave is coming nobody does.

You make valid points at the start about the shambles of the initial response but your last paragraph is ramble. That paragraph is the definition of a doom merchant.

You can stay indoors and away from people for as long as you want, I certainly wont be. 1 life live it and dont be consumed by fear

Well you know what to do- stay at home if you feel unsafe, do so indefinitely. But don’t expect the rest of us to do the same, thanks. Not too much to ask is it?

Say what you want about Leo (and i think he needs to get out of government buildings asap never to return, with Tony & journalism student Simon) but the way he is rocking them shades yesterday in the park with beers, chilling and then no one dies off covid the next day. Co incidence is pretty amazing

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5467128/coronavirus-ireland-taoiseach-leo-varadkar-phoenix-park/

Anyways he should be working around the clock getting creative ideas of getting businesses back on track (Vienna local business vouchers say hello) not consuming beers. He might just get too drunk and reckless and open the country too quickly oh wait

In the other news, WHO are as always doom and gloom, ifs buts and maybes

18:40 The outbreak could ramp up again and more quickly if anti-pandemic restrictions are lifted too soon, Word Health Organization (WHO) emergencies chief Mike Ryan has warned.

"We cannot make assumptions that just because the disease is on the way down now it is going to keep going down and we get a number of months to get ready for a second wave," Ryan said. "We may get a second peak in this wave."

Kind of feel like WHO is basically a group of Gerrys Killeens

Absolutely not.

Give me a break.

The 70% only comes in to play when you encounter someone infected, and they are also not wearing a mask. If the numbers of community cases of unknown origin is low, as it is, the chances of encountering someone with the virus is very low. In March hundreds of people had returned to Ireland infecting thousands before any action was taken. That’s why 2m and lockdown was in place. Now hygiene, distancing and encouraging use of masks when distancing is not possible, such as small shops, is sufficient. These will keep R0 low enough that we will get warning in time am should new outbreaks arise as our testing and monitoring systems are light years ahead of where they were in March

• Registered Users Posts: 16,295 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Leo doesn't give a fook he knows he is only in the job a few more weeks so won't rock the boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Social distancing will be out the window in a matter of weeks, it's just not practical to live life caring that much and people do not have the capacity to adhere to it for too long. For example, riding; imagine being told there shall be no riding anymore, laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Absolutely not.

Give me a break.

I think you should calm down? You are looking to blame someone for everything and thats understandable but.....You don’t”offer” ICU care. Is there evidence it was visitors and not health care workers that brought covid into nursing homes? Did any countrY have enough PPE?
    This is tough on everyone but making stuff up so you can blame someone is not the way to go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement