Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It’s Monday Mourning & we are in the midst of a Sahara Desert if Shocking Statistics:

Options

Comments

Was re-reading the thread (particularly the Ivan Calorie sh*tfest) and found this beauty which I think slipped through somewhat unnoticed at the time:

This man has “written” 3 bukes!

Der is such a ting as ghost writing alongside an author so to speak; saying dis as won wat has ghostwritten a published buke, not for profit but for de challenge of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Der is such a ting as ghost writing alongside an author so to speak; saying dis as won wat has ghostwritten a published buke, not for profit but for de challenge of it.

Do I even need to say “I KNOW DAT! I KNOW DAT! I KNOW DAT!” so to speak as they say?

I think “Ghoul written” might be a better epithet in this case :D

I do think Ivan is angling for a claim, negligence likely as the tree wasn’t removed after falling and therefore either the landowner (if privately owned) or Cork. Co. Co. are responsible so to speak as they say. Allegedly of course.

Never saw him looking better than in dat picture. The man is an inveterate liar, one of those people who can never tell a truth when there is an alternative. Sadly I have known one or two such people all too well, and there is never ever any hope of rehabilitating them into interacting with the world in any other way. They can be very dangerous people to encounter in your life for a number of reasons.

I would doubt every single word that comes out of such a mouth as it’s always either totally invented or else twisted to suit the narrative of their choosing. People like that can never make a good choice when there is a bad one to be made, and they are often their own worst enemy, but are so unaware as to not care. Regarding the accident, I’d be very skeptical about Calorie’s version of events, and of course no medical or energy services person who interacted with him is going to publicly give a factual version of events, although somebody might have slyly dropped a hint or two to hacks. I’d say he had any number of private investigators with their eyes trained on him, re likely insurance claims etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Did anyone see if Joe's fan Mick Heaney had anything to say about the IC interview? Had a quick look on IT site but it could be behind the paywall

Ah now to be fair, Da Lahv Lahn is a caller driven show. Mr. Duffy doesn’t set the agenda and he never gives his opinion on any subject. It’s not his fault that on 2 consecutive days 3 of his jolly chums called in to discuss the impact of COVID-19 on the country from a macro economic viewpoint primarily but also adding to the cultural and scientific debate of the biggest global story this decade. He has - as usual - selflessly put his own agenda to one side to allow those who would otherwise have no voice to be head. He should be thanked for his service, and remunerated at a rate that is a multiple of what the head of any country globally would earn.

I remember sending in a complaint to RTE regarding de bias of Mr Duffy on de show, got an email back from Fungus dat went along de lines of “there wasn’t any bias as Joe cannot by virtue of his position have a publicly expressed opinion”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

sligojoek wrote: »
    Did anyone see if Joe's fan Mick Heaney had anything to say about the IC interview? Had a quick look on IT site but it could be behind the paywall

No nothing about Joe this week. Brendan O'connor, D'Arcy and pat Kenny all feature.

Is there a link between Heaney and NK. Have yet to read a critical review of any one from the NK stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

i knew a guy once much nicer than ivor but still a sleevien.
    during boom buying all round him. Walls came down lost most of it.
    he had built a huge house in country.
    house was foreclosed and to be seized.
    Wet monday morning baliffs,guards,bank all show up.
    Cant find house city slickers lol in remote rural area. no bother says bank manager rings local for recheck of corordinates.
    comes off phone somewhat perplexed says the coordinates are right.
    Bailiff rings the guy
    yeah what ye want
    b: wheres the house
    guy: your standing on it i demolished and buried it at the weekend,if i cant have it noone will have it.
    he hung up.
    the bank manager had to have a double cognac dat night..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

The Irish Sun is in on the act too! The tabloids really love putting the boot in on some harmless old halfwit (with a taxpayer-funded pension of about €47K a year) who is down on his luck!

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5487431/ivor-callely-bouncing-back-dawn-walk/

• Advertisement

He'll be back on next week crying cos he's a prisoner in his own home and can't go out for fear the papps.

A man with supposed serious spinal injuries doing sit ups on a concrete wall? I’ve literally seen it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And laced up shoes, the embarrassment

The Irish Sun is in on the act too! The tabloids really love putting the boot in on some harmless old halfwit (with a taxpayer-funded pension of about €47K a year) who is down on his luck!

He’s far from harmless.

He’s far from harmless.

I was being ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

And there was no mention of Callely’s eight-month suspended sentence for trashing a GP’s ­waiting room as part of a ­harassment campaign — which included ransacking the doc’s offices by emptying rubbish bins, tearing up magazines and rubbing tea bags on the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

There's a saying around these here parts 'laying low'

Somebody shudda advised Ivor to 'lay low' for a while. He's invited a lot of attension on himself.

I missed the interview during the week, heard him speaking/whinging on the Loifloin promo......Mother of the Divine ! what was he thinking going on the National airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Dat be de "walking with sticks, Joe" - fecking hiking poles!

The brass neck of the bollox.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    There's a saying around these here parts 'laying low'

Somebody shudda advised Ivor to 'lay low' for a while. He's invited a lot of attension on himself.

I missed the interview during the week, heard him speaking/whinging on the Loifloin promo......Mother of the Divine ! what was he thinking going on the National airwaves.

You should listen back, it’s simultaneously embarrassing and disgraceful. I’d recommend you read the thread in real time as you do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

You should listen back, it’s simultaneously embarrassing and disgraceful. I’d recommend you read the thread in real time as you do so.

No I disagre
    For your mental health, id advise not listening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Monday night 7pm rte one. Letters from lockdown. Not sure if Joe is involved...but you have been warned

I was just about to suggest the same thing.

I'm still at a loss as to how somebody in RTE allowed this to go ahead. It wasn't in the public interest. It was only in his and Duffy's interest.

No I disagre
    For your mental health, id advise not listening

I think it's an insight glen into how our "betters" view us with complete contempt, see us as gullible fools, and think we can be fed any auld guff without questioning it. Mr. Duffy alludes to his relationship/friendship with Ivan during the interview, he tells an absolute lie about "absolutely no issues with your car business", ignores lots of Ivan's "misdeeds" in a bid to paint his chum as the victim, while both (clearly on the basis of the photographic evidence in today's papers) greatly exaggerate the state of Mr. Calorie's injuries and his current physical condition. The one time he asked Ivan "WHOY?", Ivan refuses to answer the bloody question!

Each of them is as deluded as the other - Mr. Duffy thinking he's a serious journalist and interviewer; Calorie in thinking he actually has a shot at re-election, likening himself to JFK at one point was a highlight so to speak as they say, but also an insight into the psyche of the man. The enormous egos and hubris of both men were on full display here.

It was an abuse of Mr. Duffy's position, and he would have been sacked for this were he in the employ of the BBC. Look at the trouble Emiily Maitlis has found herself in this week for (by comparison to the Ivan Calorie puff piece) some very mild commentary on the authenticity of Dominic Cummings comments.

This is what she said:
    “Dominic Cummings broke the rules, the country can see that and it’s shocked the government cannot.” Maitlis threw in, for good measure, that Cummings “was the man, remember, who always got the public mood, he tagged the lazy label of ‘elite’ on those who disagreed”.

Mr. Duffy waxed lyrical about his acquaintance Mr. Calorie for 40-odd minutes and as usual with RTE, he's let away with it. An utter disgrace.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I was just about to suggest the same thing.

I'm still at a loss as to how somebody in RTE allowed this to go ahead. It wasn't in the public interest. It was only in his and Duffy's interest.

Agree 100%!

What genuinely surprises me is the cretinous response from RTE's Spinning and PR unit to the Sun when asked for a comment:

"The interview with Ivor Callely on Liveline this afternoon was robust, wide ranging and ­challenging. “He was on air to talk about his serious accident last year, which he did, and numerous other topics were also discussed.”

Evidently, in RTE-speak:-
    • "a serious accident" is one where a middle-aged fool crashes into a fallen tree and falls off his tricycle, grazing his elbow;
    • "robust" presumably refers to the fact that Joe didn't genuflect to Ivor, kiss his ring or suck his toes;
    • "wide-ranging" refers to the fact that Ivor mentioned both West Cork and Clontarf during the chat;
    • "challenging" must be a reference to Joe fearlessly mentioning in passing that that Ivor had spent some time as a guest of the Governor of Wheatfield Prison.

Any half-intelligent RTE spin-doctor would have simply said "yep - it was cringe inducing and Joe has been given a serious b0llocking for it and told that it was completely unacceptable for him to slobber all over his Clontarf buddies live on air."

EDIT - I see that Butterssuki got there slightly ahead of me. I need to improve my typing speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

"when the character of a man is not clear to you look at his friends" Japanese proverb

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Robust?

That shows the utter contempt they have for their listenership

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/im-more-afraid-of-what-lockdown-is-doing-than-of-covid-39247235.html

Talk about a staged pic with the stethoscope.....where do I even start on this one?

Well an awful lot of people nowadays have difficulty reading. They seem to only read about every third word so might not have realised she is an actual medical doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Well an awful lot of people nowadays have difficulty reading. They seem to only read about every third word so might not have realised she is an actual medical doctor.

I'm still trying to rid my mind of the image of Ciara standing naked in front of the mirror during her Covid lockdown - "I had a small black bush last night"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

She goes around at home with the scope on, does she?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Robust?

That shows the utter contempt they have for their listenership

I'd love to know what that triple chinned oaf has on RTE management so say he gets away with it.

Or perhaps it's a case of Omerta, and they just close ranks by default.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement