Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Listening to the wind slowly slowing down and quieting. The rain has stopped too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Miffed at the cool temperatures forecast for this weekend. I’m going lake-swimming both tomorrow and Sunday and whilst I wasn’t expecting sun, I at least thought we’d get temperatures in the high teens. Is that too much to ask for? Sun is forecast, so that’s good but where I am, tomorrow is forecast to be 13-14°C and Sunday 14-16°C. That is pretty dismal for August.

Gonzo wrote: »
    My relations recently moved to Meath on 1st of June after living in Manchester/Birmingham for years, one of them is English and they thought there wouldn't be much difference in the weather between Manchester and Meath.

I was talking to them last week and they cannot get over just how bad our weather is. They thought UK weather was poor but nothing prepared them for living in Ireland since this June. They cannot believe that they have only seen the sun properly on 5 or 6 days since the end of May and have never seen so much cloud and rain in their lives.

The weather in Manchester wouldn't be as warm or regularly sunny as it would be in London but still it's fairly normal to get the odd hot day there and lots of days into the low 20s during the summer, particularly if there is a spell of good weather.

While they do get their fair share of rain in Manchester throughout the year, they have never seen cloud/rain/mist that is just relentless throughout all 3 summer months without even a break and that is exactly what they have seen so far this summer living here in Ireland. I've told them that this is the worst summer I have ever seen in Meath. I don't think we've ever had a summer so poor that we didn't even get 2 sunny days in a row at any stage since Spring.

At the moment they are going to stay here for another year to see how things go but they said if every summer is like this year, they would have to consider going elsewhere as the relentless rain and cloud is just too much.

I lived about 100 miles South West-ish of London during the summer of 2010. So during that string of crappy summers that were noted as bad in the UK as well as Ireland. I still got used to temperatures of at least 21 or 22°C pretty much every day. There was just a constant balminess, even on cloudy days. And if I was going to London for the weekend which was pretty regularly, I could reliably look forward to a bit of balminess and often plain hot and sunny weather. I got athlete’s foot that summer for the first time every because I was not prepared for how much warmer the UK was going to be and did not wear appropriate footwear. And that was in a bad summer. England and Wales get much better weather than us in summertime. They just do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭kingshankly

This weekend has the potential to be the best weather for this summer in Dublin. It may be cool but it's possible Saturday and Sunday could be mostly dry and decent sunny spells with cool and clear nights. We haven't had that at any stage since summer began and it will be most welcome.
    “Best weather for this summer in Dublin “What are you watching it’s forecast 12/12 degrees it will be dry but bitter
    Also forgetting the fact two weeks ago we had 3/4 days of 20 plus degrees 🤔

“Best weather for this summer in Dublin “What are you watching it’s forecast 12/12 degrees it will be dry but bitter

With lashings of cloud.

• Advertisement

"Bright and breezy, " outside and a distinct dip in temperature.. What they call " good drying weather" as long as you have good clothes pegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Been a fairly awful week up here in Donegal, lots of rain, strong winds and I don't recall seeing the sun for more than an hour or two.

Dry so far this morning but very windy, haven't been outside yet but I suspect it feels more like November than August

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thats a fresh breeze out there today! Tomorrow should bring lots of calm dry weather as a ridge moves in over the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Was sunny and bright early it’s now gone back to the familiar grey slate and of course it’s now f-Ing cold. Was it not supposed to be sunny this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭pauldry

It was but it was an August Fool joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Was sunny and bright early it’s now gone back to the familiar grey slate and of course it’s now f-Ing cold. Was it not supposed to be sunny this weekend?

It's Summer 2020, we aren't allowed to have sun, remember?

Not too bad in Dublin 5, mostly cloudy with some breaks in the clouds and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah going between dark and bright in D5, but it's not windy, so it's actually lovely. I think wind is what I hate most about weather. Just want serenity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yeah going between dark and bright in D5, but it's not windy, so it's actually lovely. I think wind is what I hate most about weather. Just want serenity.

Out in Howth. Sweet Jesus its freezing. So windy. All you can hear in playground is all parents saying its freezing + telling all kids they have to put their coats on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it's cool but at least it's dry and there are some sunny spells. That's a big improvement on most of the weather we've had all summer. The spell of weather two weeks ago was definitely warmer, particularly at night but the endless cloud and misty gloom made it bland and very annoying when most other places were into the 20s and sunny. We only got 2 sunny days during that entire spell, one of them was fairly cool while the second day almost a week later was decent. Most of those cloudy and warmer days didn't even get to 20C here with so much mist around with some days not getting above 16 or 17C.

Very disappointed with todays weather. I knew it would be cool but expecting it to be lovely + sunny aswell.

Instead it's the usually crap of windy, dull + very cold here in Howth.

Ah well on plus we just have togo for nice lunch to warm up!

I have just been a wander at the north ocean- facing back here.

It is what they used to call " bracing".... a fresh strong breeze straight from the north across the Atlantic. Rumpled waters as far as can be seen.

Sweeping away all the fug and pollution of the last while. Challenging, and all my potato tops are withered to extinction but that is fine too, as the underground work is what counts.

Autumn is around. Rose hips ripening and berries starting to fill out, and air that is pure and chilled.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appledrop wrote: »
    Very disappointed with todays weather. I knew it would be cool but expecting it to be lovely + sunny aswell.

Instead it's the usually crap of windy, dull + very cold here in Howth.

Ah well on plus we just have togo for nice lunch to warm up!

yep I was expecting more in the way of sunshine but as has been typical of this summer the blanket of cloud just goes on and on. We've even had a few light showers in the past hour so it's not completely dry either. We may see more sun tomorrow then it's back to the rain from Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Summer may not be over yet if recent charts are correct starting from the end of next week....

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Summer may not be over yet if recent charts are coorect starting from the end of next week....

The ECM wants to build high pressure and bring a few days of warmth, but as always this could just end up sliding into southern England and wales and miss us entirely, it does look a bit flimsy. GFS not going for it at all and keeps us in an unsettled and cool scene. Would need a few more days and agreement in the models before we start getting our hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

yep I was expecting more in the way of sunshine but as has been typical of this summer the blanket of cloud just goes on and on. We've even had a few light showers in the past hour so it's not completely dry either. We may see more sun tomorrow then it's back to the rain from Monday.

Me three. Raining Meath now.
    Hopefully tomorrow a full dry day.

• Advertisement

Kutebride wrote: »
    Me three. Raining Meath now.
    Hopefully tomorrow a full dry day.

Fine, dry day in Cork but a distinct autumnal chill in the air. The skies are a paler blue and the sun a bit more watery.

Dazzling sun here. Lovely sight. And the air is dry not humid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Overcast in my part of cork city, autumnal chill alright though. Any bit of sky that comes through is as dancinpants says, paler. Season changes underway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's so very dark now in Dublin. The last week or so has been so dark, must be really low cloud or something. Depressing.

We do the howth pier walk a lot + today was like winter.

In fact I could safely say I've had nicer walks on it in winter when it would be cold but you would have beautuful winter sun.

Id say we could be in for very cold night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

appledrop wrote: »

Id say we could be in for very cold night.

Since last weekend the models have been predicting a chilly night for tonight and perhaps tomorrow night aswell. If the skies clear of course.

out on the bike today, needed gloves. Met a friend for coffee later in an outdoor part of a cafe, I needed long sleeved and warm cardigan, plus runners and socks! My 3 cats are all inside and its only 6.20pm, they are the best indicator of weather! Very chilly indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just switched the heating on, 1st time ever in August we've done it, feels so wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Lovely evening here in Donegal, a nice chill in the air. Very refreshing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Back in Kildare 2day and I've experienced several warmer Christmas days recently:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement