Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Claims Court Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

atgate wrote: »
    So, my case against Aer Lingus was at 16 days and I just looked and the status is now "Completed" and the outcome "Case Settled by Registrar". Not really sure what this means....
    It means that AL have agreed to refund you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

How is the money awarded to you? Does the court force then to refund your original payment method if you win or are you given a cheque?

If I'm to take this to the scc eventually the problem is my friends credit card was used on the booking but its under my name and my ryanair account, just the card is in his name.

Would that be an issue? Don't mind it going back to his card he would throw the money back to us (group of us)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

How is the money awarded to you? Does the court force then to refund your original payment method if you win or are you given a cheque?

If I'm to take this to the scc eventually the problem is my friends credit card was used on the booking but its under my name and my ryanair account, just the card is in his name.

Would that be an issue? Don't mind it going back to his card he would throw the money back to us (group of us)

The one time I used SCC ( against a concert promoter) I received a refund by cheque in the post from them ( the promoter) . It arrived shortly after the court decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ratracer wrote: »
    The one time I used SCC ( against a concert promoter) I received a refund by cheque in the post from them ( the promoter) . It arrived shortly after the court decision.

What was the circumstances of your claim, a cancelled concert or something?

Only realised yesterday that I have tickets to see Ricky Gervais next week and obviously he has come out and postponed it. Havent heard a dickie bird from Ticketmaster even to say it is cancelled and your ticket can be reused when it is re-scheduled. My tickets are awful, the Three pre sale landed me with seats right in the very back row a mile from the stage. So Id prefer a refund and take my chances buying tickets again because the seats cant possibly get any worse than the very back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭DeKing

jonnny68 wrote:
    i have instructed the SCC that id like to proceed to court, Ryanair have refused to pay out , scare tactics hoping people back down, ill take my chances,jaysus what a despicable airline they are, i never had much time for them previously but they did come on a lot in recent years but now they have shown themselves for that they are.

Any update? I've done the same and now it's 5 working days since I've instructed SCC that I would like to proceed to court. Haven't heard anything as of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

So, my case against Aer Lingus was at 16 days and I just looked and the status is now "Completed" and the outcome "Case Settled by Registrar". Not really sure what this means....

Check the card you used for the booking.

I got nada from Aer Lingus but is showed on the card within a couple of days.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What was the circumstances of your claim, a cancelled concert or something?

Only realised yesterday that I have tickets to see Ricky Gervais next week and obviously he has come out and postponed it. Havent heard a dickie bird from Ticketmaster even to say it is cancelled and your ticket can be reused when it is re-scheduled. My tickets are awful, the Three pre sale landed me with seats right in the very back row a mile from the stage. So Id prefer a refund and take my chances buying tickets again because the seats cant possibly get any worse than the very back row.

Before you can go to SCC you have to request a refund from the provider.

Ticketmaster have a form for you to fill for refund requests.

https://help.ticketmaster.ie/hc/en-ie/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000117353

Under the select a topic drop down menu just Select "Refund/Exchange"

Put a note in the Question Box that you want a refund.

Seems to take 7 to 10 days.

Only issue might be that refund will have to go back on the card that it was booked on.

Hope this helps

cheers paddy, will follow that. Im not in any need of the money but I might as well get it and try to get better seats when the show does go ahead next year sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭firemansam4

paddy19 wrote: »
    I agree now that Ryanair have invested in the legal template
    for defending the case the incremental costs to them are not a deterrent.

Easy for me to say, but it would be great if someone went all the way with Ryanair.

What they are trying to pull here off is pretty outrageous.
    They are blatantly breaking the law and using their enormous clout
    to frighten off their customers looking for their money back.

Especially since Michael O'Leary is threatening EU law on other airlines for state subsidies.
    He expects EU law to only apply when it suits him!

Somebody has to bell the cat!

Obviously you risk loosing, in which case Ryanair will not pay you.
    So it would want to be a small amount.

The other concern is that you win and Ryanair appeal up to the high court.

The risk here is that if you loose you could be liable for legal costs.
    Although it's hard to see a high court judge awarding costs to Ryanair
    against lay litigant from a small claims court appeal.
    But as with all things legal, never say never.

There is obviously a public interest in this case.

Again easy for me to say.

Would I can do, and I think there are quite a lot of people who would be also
    prepared to contribute to a fund me campaign to see this issue trashed out in court.

If you lose the case, I would have thought it would be on the grounds that a delay in the refund is warranted due to exceptional circumstances?
    Surely they would still be obligated to pay the refund at a later date?

My tickets cost over 1000 euros so I would not want to take a chance on that.

If you lose the case, I would have thought it would be on the grounds that a delay in the refund is warranted due to exceptional circumstances?
    Surely they would still be obligated to pay the refund at a later date?

My tickets cost over 1000 euros so I would not want to take a chance on that.

If you loose the case, Ryanair will not refund you.

I can't see how you could loose it, but I wouldn't bet a 1,000 Euro on it.

You can never say never with the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 cuba1234

We are in the same boat, 16 days in yesterday, logged on to find the same as you. Will you let us know when/if you receive an email from the Registrar or even money in the bank and I'll do the same, our case is also with Aerlingus and they didn't ask for any documentation. Fingers crossed this will be the end of this long battle to get our money back

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

cuba1234 wrote: »
    We are in the same boat, 16 days in yesterday, logged on to find the same as you. Will you let us know when/if you receive an email from the Registrar or even money in the bank and I'll do the same, our case is also with Aerlingus and they didn't ask for any documentation. Fingers crossed this will be the end of this long battle to get our money back

Sure. Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

If you loose the case, Ryanair will not refund you.

Can you still use the voucher they offer if you lose the case?

If you win the case but Ryanair appeals to the high court what happens if you don't have the means to proceed?

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Can you still use the voucher they offer if you lose the case?

If you win the case but Ryanair appeals to the high court what happens if you don't have the means to proceed?

If the case is lost then would imagine you can still use the voucher, its still your money at the end of the day.

Their route to appeal would be the Circuit Court. In the event of losing that a judge could order costs against you, equally he could say that both sides pay their own costs, its an unknown.

That said the law is solid that refunds must issue plus it is EU law which supercedes anything Ryanair come up with. Would say that if anyone were to lose the SCC case it will be because they didnt lay their case out properly or were missing a document they needed to back up their claim. The registrar can only judge on what is put before them so its important to have all your ducks lined up and paperwork in order on the day. It wont be lost because the law is against you because it is unequivocal in the matter of refunds.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If the case is lost then would imagine you can still use the voucher, its still your money at the end of the day.

The voucher is an interesting angle.

The voucher is not your money it's a new agreement
    between you and the airline and subject to its own terms and conditions.

Ryanair can be vindictive.
    You would have cost them a considerable amount of time and money.

The problem is they can invalidate the voucher.
    How would you force them to allow you to use it?

SCC is gone.
    Chargeback is doubtful, they would show the bank they won the case.
    Doubtful if Flightrights can enforce a voucher. They are EU261 based.
    Resolver is out.

I can't see how you can make Ryanair accept their own voucher.

So I have no confidence you could use your voucher.

It's certainly a possibility that Ryanair would appeal.
    They could appeal all the way to the EU courts.
    From their point of view it drags out the process
    and could take long enough to make the issue somewhat irrelevant.

It would however be a little incongruous to see Ryanair on the one
    hand asking the EU courts to stop bailouts to European airlines
    while refusing to refund passengers.

The problem is Michael O'Leary has never been bothered by incongruity!

It's a gamble but highly unlikely that a higher court judge would award
    costs against a lay litigant from the SCC.
    Even Michael O'Leary in his sharpest moment is not likely to demand his costs.
    But never say never.

The second point is there is a strong public interest defence in this case.
    Since Ryanair is registered in Ireland, the Swords District is the court for all Ryanair SCC's cases in Europe.
    So you would expect that European consumer groups would help fight the case.
    But again no guarantees.

Third avenue is a gofundme campaign. Obviously no idea how that would go.
    There are a lot of cheesed off people who would like to see
    Ryanair chastened but I'm not sure they are the kind of folk who would divvy up when money is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

So does everyone who wishes to lodge a SCC have to travel to Swords?

I'm the other side of the country so not exactly convenient for me.

Any chance they night agree to pay out and refund without having to drag myself to attend court in Swords?

If a case goes ahead, anyone have any idea of what sort of time frame we might be looking at before it's called before the courts? Weeks? Months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Morby wrote: »

Any chance they night agree to pay out and refund without having to drag myself to attend court in Swords?

If a case goes ahead, anyone have any idea of what sort of time frame we might be looking at before it's called before the courts? Weeks? Months?

interested to know this myself, im in Dublin so wouldn't be a problem for me but i hope it doesn't drag out, that was the whole point in me initiating a claim with the SCC

Morby wrote: »

The whole idea of the SCC process is the parties come to an agreement facilitated by the Registrar.
    You only need to attend court if the parties can't agree.

Aer Lingus agree and pay up.
    Ryanair seem to dispute everything so you have the option of dropping the case or going to court is Swords.
    You have to attend personally.
    Ryanair have to be represented by a solicitor.

Time frames are unknown for the court at this stage.

I received the Ryanair Notice of Dispute from the SCC today containing 9 pages of waffle.

Ryanair has repeatedly claimed that everyone who wants a refund will get it. Their refusal proves otherwise.

I informed the Registrar that I'd like to proceed with a court hearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ryanair has repeatedly claimed that everyone who wants a refund will get it. Their refusal proves otherwise.

No it doesn’t, they have issued a statement that says if the voucher is t used within 12 months the cash will be refund, this appears to be supported by the government

ted1 wrote: »
    No it doesn’t, they have issued a statement that says if the voucher is t used within 12 months the cash will be refund, this appears to be supported by the government

Ryanair statements on cash refunds have been less than clear.

In one case they said the refund would happen automatically.
    In another they state that you will be able to apply for a refund after 12 months.

In both cases it's arrogance beyond belief.

What gives Ryanair the right to refuse to give you back your own money within 7 days per EU261?

Time frames are unknown for the court at this stage.

I asked the registrar when the case will be heard. His response was that the court is closed and it may be the last quarter of 2020.

I asked the registrar when the case will be heard. His response was that the court is closed and it may be the last quarter of 2020.

I always worry when predictions are in seasons :)

ted1 wrote: »

They informed me that "Refunds will be processed within 20 working days back to the form of payment used for the original booking".

The obviously didn't follow through or abide by European law. Ryanair's statement is not credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

How long you were waiting for case to change status to 'case initiated'? i submitted my case nearly 4 weeks ago and still the same?

kris_2021 wrote: »
    How long you were waiting for case to change status to 'case initiated'? i submitted my case nearly 4 weeks ago and still the same?

Have you paid the €25?

Check on the events tab and you should see something like this.

Date Filed ........Event Description ..............Case Party Days
    19 Apr 2020 Case Settled by Registrar Aer Lingus xx
    14 Apr 2020 Notice of Dispute Lodged Aer Lingus xx
    04 Apr 2020 Claim Issued
    03 Apr 2020 Claim Approved
    02 Apr 2020 Claim Submitted
    01 Apr 2020 Case Preparing

Have you paid the €25?

Check on the events tab and you should see something like this.

Date Filed ........Event Description ..............Case Party Days
    19 Apr 2020 Case Settled by Registrar Aer Lingus xx
    14 Apr 2020 Notice of Dispute Lodged Aer Lingus xx
    04 Apr 2020 Claim Issued
    03 Apr 2020 Claim Approved
    02 Apr 2020 Claim Submitted
    01 Apr 2020 Case Preparing

oh so I have to pay first to initiate case? Thought they will come back saying case is valid or something

kris_2021 wrote: »
    oh so I have to pay first to initiate case? Thought they will come back saying case is valid or something
    You need to get to the case submitted stage.
    Then you get the email from the registrar giving you the link for payment.

Submit case is after you have inputted the claimant, respondent and case details.

You might have missed it.

• Advertisement

You need to get to the case submitted stage.
    Then you get the email from the registrar giving you the link for payment.

Submit case is after you have inputted the claimant, respondent and case details.

You might have missed it.

I have submitted but never got the link?
    I have open case with flight rights now also. Is there a point pursuing court case as well?

Advertisement