Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Claims Court Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I won't take mine any further so will just wait for the refund in time but hopefully others that are in a position to attend, do and get their money back sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

So if the SCC hasn't worked is your 25e for the claim gone?

But if a kick in the teeth for those who are dropping it and waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

My flight was cancelled.
    RA offered me a change or a refund.

I chose refund. No offer of a voucher.

They said it'll take 20 days to process.

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    So if the SCC hasn't worked is your 25e for the claim gone?

But if a kick in the teeth for those who are dropping it and waiting

Yeah €25 gone but will cost me more taking time off work to attend and getting up there. At the moment I'm in a position where I can wait for it, it just angered me the way they are going about things that's why I started scc and hoped it would get resolved within the 15 days. I know a lot of others won't be and hope they are able to attend and get their much needed money back soon.

I presume it would be the swords court you would have to attend?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Was always sceptical of the SCC route TBH.

Paddy19 seemed to think it was the answer to everything in multiple threads though, hopefully it still works out for people.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Pkiernan wrote: »
    My flight was cancelled.

Was this after EU statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

pc7 wrote: »

I was offered the same options last Thursday. Before the statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭steinbock123

My flight was cancelled.

Yeah , I got that too on the 7th May. I’m happy to wait for a refund as I’ve no interest in a voucher.
    Then yesterday, Ryanair send me an email with a voucher attached. Once you open the voucher, you are automatically accepting it , according to the email, so DON’T open it if you want a refund.
    Isn’t it strange how Ryanair are saying that the vouchers can be processed automatically, but that a refund has to be done manually and that due to Covid regulations and social distancing they don’t have enough staff and because they have millions of passengers to deal with that a refund will take ages.
    Yet when these millions of passengers book the flights that the money can be taken instantly and automatically??

pc7 wrote: »

Before.

I'm hoping they'll do what they're saying they'll do.

• Advertisement

Yeah , I got that too on the 7th May. I’m happy to wait for a refund as I’ve no interest in a voucher.
    Then yesterday, Ryanair send me an email with a voucher attached. Once you open the voucher, you are automatically accepting it , according to the email, so DON’T open it if you want a refund...

I cant seeing a SCC judge agreeing with RA that clicking an attachment waives statutory rights!

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Nice and easy, how long in advance did they let you know about the cancellation

14 days in advance, so they avoid compensation payments I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Before.

I'm hoping they'll do what they're saying they'll do.

Sorry but you're deluded if you believe you'll get a refund in 20 days. I'm waiting 64 days and counting. I selected refund too.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

My flight was cancelled.

That's the route they take with everyone...

Cancelled
    Refund or reschedule
    Choose refund
    Wait 20 days
    Receive voucher
    To get yourself back in the refund Queue you need to chat with them...

If you choose refund you will get a voucher in 20 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

limabromac wrote: »
    That's the route they take with everyone...

Cancelled
    Refund or reschedule
    Choose refund
    Wait 20 days
    Receive voucher
    To get yourself back in the refund Queue you need to chat with them...

If you choose refund you will get a voucher in 20 days...

Sure about that?

Their website says "Customers who choose not to accept a free move or voucher will receive their refund in due course, once this crisis has passed. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be working hard to process refund requests as quickly as we can. "

Galego wrote: »
    Sure about that?

Their website says "Customers who choose not to accept a free move or voucher will receive their refund in due course, once this crisis has passed. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be working hard to process refund requests as quickly as we can. "

Ryanairs "in due course" is when the voucher has expired after the year...so if you want to wait then that's great. I didn't click on the link to accept the voucher...I clicked on the link to refuse the voucher and accept a refund, this brings you to the chat room...
    The other option is to not click on anything and you just wait... (Not one person since March has received a refund btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

sugarman20 wrote: »
    I can't believe they did that. It's bizarre. Surely after today's ruling it's black and white. Are you going to go?

I can well believe it and said that I thought as much would happen a couple of weeks ago (I have two SCC claims in BTW). If there were just a few claims I'd imagine Ryanair would let it slide (and a few early ones do seem to have gone through) but with the undoubted tsunami of claims coming in, it makes perfect sense for Ryanair to fight them rather than setting some form of precedent and everyone else piling into the SCC as well. I would imagine they'd lose in court but the simple prospect of court action will scare off 95%+ of claimants. As to Ryanair paying for solicitors, one presumes they have their own in house legal team and should have little additional cost so?

One thing I would wonder is whether they will treat claims differently by geographical location - i.e. roll over without going to court for claimants in the Dublin area (i.e. who can get to the court easily), but insist on court for people who would have to make a journey (e.g. I'm in Cork and I will in me hole be saying yes to a case on an unknown date in Swords).

Ryanairs "in due course" is when the voucher has expired after the year...so if you want to wait then that's great. I didn't click on the link to accept the voucher...I clicked on the link to refuse the voucher and accept a refund, this brings you to the chat room...
    The other option is to not click on anything and you just wait... (Not one person since March has received a refund btw)

I clicked on the below:

"If you do not wish to accept this voucher option and wish to move your flight or request a refund, please click here to contact us. Please note that as our customer care agents are required to work from home to limit the spread of COVID-19 virus, payment security restrictions prevent us from processing refunds as quickly as we would like to."

That brings you to this page:

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/refund-voucher

It doesnt seem to bring straight to a chatroom.

I clicked on the below:

"If you do not wish to accept this voucher option and wish to move your flight or request a refund, please click here to contact us. Please note that as our customer care agents are required to work from home to limit the spread of COVID-19 virus, payment security restrictions prevent us from processing refunds as quickly as we would like to."

That brings you to this page:

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/refund-voucher

It doesnt seem to bring straight to a chatroom.

I didn't say it brings you straight to the chat room...that would be too easy in Ryanairs universe...to contact Ryanair you would need to chat to them so when you click on the Contact link you will see the chat room option. You could also send them a letter too..

I didn't say it brings you straight to the chat room...that would be too easy in Ryanairs universe...to contact Ryanair you would need to chat to them so when you click on the Contact link you will see the chat room option. You could also send them a letter too..

Cool. Thanks.

I had not done that so wasnt aware I had to.

• Advertisement

Cool. Thanks.

I had not done that so wasnt aware I had to.

The other option is to not click on anything and you just wait... In my eyes it's better to let them know you want to be in a queue for something as they will forget about you...

When I spoke to the lady to say I was not accepting the voucher she said great, I will put you in the refund Queue...( After already bring in the refund Queue for a month)

I just used this form to state I wasn't accepting the voucher and wanted to continue for the refund.https://contactform.ryanair.com/

I just used this form to state I wasn't accepting the voucher and wanted to continue for the refund.https://contactform.ryanair.com/

I have contacted them that way too and I received a response with just a ticket number and a few weeks later a generic "We are very busy email.." I found out later that
    at least when you chat you can get a transcript of your chat sent to email so at least you know that you definitely had a conversation with someone...

One day, no doubt we will receive our refund. ...

They told me on chat this week that that doesn't count. I filled in that form 5 weeks ago within minutes of getting the email.

Following up on a promise 7 weeks ago that I would get the balance refunded to PayPal within 28 days (and didn't) I got on to chat the other day. They had no record of me declining the voucher as it's not possible to do so via the form. I got an email confirming that I'd declined the voucher within minutes of ending the chat.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    if you paid with paypal why not open a dispute with them ?

I think Caranica did already if I remember : )

I think Caranica did already if I remember : )

Oh yes. I did. Denied. Fought with them for 3 weeks, still denied. But I've gone back to them again this week.

My issue isn't standard, my flight was one of the first to be cancelled in early March. Got an instant refund for the outbound leg but long story short they still owe me for the return plus priority boarding, reserved seat etc (outbound refund was fare only). Systems error allegedly.

Because I got a partial refund PayPal say I have to take it up with Ryanair

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I wonder if Ryanair consider COVID-19 to be over (so they can start processing cash refunds) when they begin flying again from 1 July?

I wonder if Ryanair consider COVID-19 to be over (so they can start processing cash refunds) when they begin flying again from 1 July?

Ryanair might have a crystal ball ; ) ... However if they start flying in July and the refunds only start then they will have to get through all of March, April, May and June before people start seeing their money back..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Can I ask anybody who has put in a claim what way they did it and information they provided.

I booked flights in January, contacted the airline about 3 days before they were due to go out and on the phone they confirmed the flight wasnt going and offered a refund. They also said as part of the refund they would automatically cancel the return flight.

But I actually havent heard anything from them and have nothing physical on record regarding it. Its been taken off my Login account (no details of flight) and literally the only thing I have now is confirmation of booking (email) and flight cost.

Did anybody call back the Aerline (aer Lingus) to get an update on their refund. I am probably at week 3 now where I havent heard anything and have no record of what they are going to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mad Benny wrote: »
    I presume they don't want to make it easy for people. I'm sure I'll get the same. I'll happily go and Ryanair can pay their solicitors to attend the small claims court.

Im pretty amazed they are fighting this. There is cast iron EU law saying you are entitled to a refund and yesterday Margaret Vestager reiterated that and is sending a letter to every EU government to make it clear in case they weren't already sure. They are on a losing wicket full stop so sending solicitors down to the SCC is just throwing good money after bad, they'll be laughed out of it down there trying to go up against EU law.

They really are a bollox of a company sometimes. They are just trying to ride roughshod over long established consumer rights so they can get millions of short term loans from their passengers at no cost to them. Had they come out and offered people a voucher for the flight and then maybe another 20 euro voucher on top as a gesture of good will then people might go for that. But instead they just want everything their own way, including breaking EU law to get it.

Advertisement