Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Trust Venjur to ruin a good thing ðŸ˜

Eh... cough, cough cough, cough cough cough cough
    errlloyd wrote: »
    I don't think our cultures are different. I think politics is cyclical and that is the interesting takeaway.

Leo Vradkar is pretty comparable to New Labour.
    awec wrote: »
    Didn't we say no irish politics?

Not quite, you said:
    no, Irish Politics?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ignoring the comparisons to Varadkar, I found the Corbynite "policy" of equating Blair and Thatcher to be the stupidest and most offensive thing they did. It was insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

mfceiling wrote: »
    Covid benefits.

Seem to have more money...unnecessary spending has quit. No takeaways and no impulse purchases (obviously not counting the road bike I bought a month ago).

Way more active. Combination of said bike and the good weather.

Eating better...no takeaways and cooking is enjoyable now.

This is all so true. It's been a great opportunity to reflect on things you want to change and press the reset button.

This is all so true. It's been a great opportunity to reflect on things you want to change and press the reset button.

I despise it. I have a tiny apartment and I am going insane in it. There may be some small benefits but they are massively outweighed by the negatives.

I have never been stopped from going outside to run and cycle as much as I want thankfully. That would have seriously brought me close to the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I despise it. I have a tiny apartment and I am going insane in it. There may be some small benefits but they are massively outweighed by the negatives.

I have never been stopped from going outside to run and cycle as much as I want thankfully. That would have seriously brought me close to the edge.

I didn't mean it's a net positive, just that it's a silver lining.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Podge_irl wrote: »

I get our older neighbours who are vulnerable the paper at the weekends

Eight o clock last Saturday morning I was doing so and got stopped at a checkpoint

They were ice enough but is got on my nerves. The area I live in was reported as having the most deaths and second highest number of cases in the country last weekend so maybe that's it but its infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Buer wrote: »
    It's very good and gives a great insight into what made him tick. He is an incredible competitor but simply not a particularly nice person. He reminds me of Roy Keane a lot but I don't think he has the charm that Keane can switch on when he's interested. Jordan's production company were involved so he'd have had input into the final cut. Keep that in mind so, when it paints him in an unflattering light, the truth is potentially somewhat worse. Horace Grant has come out with scathing criticism since it finished and Scottie Pippen is reportedly unhappy also. For anyone who followed the NBA closely, they'll be familiar with stories of Jordan and his behaviour over the years.

Some of the most interesting parts are around the supporting characters. The likes of Pippen, Rodman and Phil Jackson get a lot of coverage and come across very well for the most part. Phil Jackson is possibly the biggest winner from the whole thing.

All in all, well worth a watch in a time when we're starved of sporting coverage. His ability and drive were simply incredible. It does feel very hurried and almost incomplete to me though. Some of the stories that were touched upon in early episodes didn't get any further development such as the relationship with their GM which was a key factor through their success and the eventual break up of the team.

Michael-Jordan-Watch-Collection-Roger-Dubois-Excalibur-Spider-Pirelli-Automatic-skeleton.jpg

So I watched the first episode. As a watch fan, I thought what is Michael wearing? There are expensive watches (Rolex, Omega, Patek Philippe etc) and then there are watches for people who don't look at the price. In this case the Roger Dubuis Excalibur Spider Pirelli - Automatic Skeleton at a cool US$72'000. Of course, why have one watch when you can have many? Such as the Ulysse Nardin Royal Blue Tourbillon at US$1'100'000. Of course, Michael DOES have a Rolex, in fact more than one (Daytona, Sky-Dweller, GMT-Master II...MJ watches).

Watches aside, the first episode will get me back for more. As a kid growing up in NZ in the 90s, NBA was big business, despite the rugby. And Jordan was the face of the NBA.

(oh and the cigar and a glass of what was definitely not a cheap whiskey)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This war between Trump and Twitter is just escalating and escalating. Twitter put a fact check on one of his tweets and he retaliated by signing an EO that (as far as i can see) does nothing. Now Twitter has put a public interest notice on another of his tweets which means you can only view it by clicking again, can't like it and only retweet it with a comment. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

prawnsambo wrote: »
    This war between Trump and Twitter is just escalating and escalating. Twitter put a fact check on one of his tweets and he retaliated by signing an EO that (as far as i can see) does nothing. Now Twitter has put a public interest notice on another of his tweets which means you can only view it by clicking again, can't like it and only retweet it with a comment. :D

Obviously I'm biased because I despise Trump.

But I do think it's important for social media to realise their awesome power and be more responsible in addressing bull**** that's propagated on their platform.

"Fact-checking" is not the most straightforward thing in the world either though. And, unfortunately, we probably all have different definitions of what is bull****.

I agree that something needs to be done, but I'm not remotely sure how they can even begin to address it.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    Obviously I'm biased because I despise Trump.

But I do think it's important for social media to realise their awesome power and be more responsible in addressing bull**** that's propagated on their platform.
    Yep. And the funny thing is they've been giving Trump a free pass that they give pretty much no-one else up until now. His EO is basically stating that they either exercise full editorial power or none. Well given that choice, Twitter is saying "grand, here's some more editorialising of your tweets. We're now going to treat you like everyone else.". Six months from an election. :D

Edit: Not defending them, but Twitter at least try to do some fact-checking and bot policing. Facebook just couldn't give a rat's ass.

He's trailing by 14 in the Nationwide polling as an incumbent who has consistently campaigned since election and was going to run on a strong economy.

Anything can happen before November, but he's in awful shape for a sitting President and I'd imagine this has been communicated to him on some level.

If he's going to try and torch the place on the way out there is a good argument for de platforming him.

He's trailing by 14 in the Nationwide polling as an incumbent who has consistently campaigned since election and was going to run on a strong economy.

Anything can happen before November, but he's in awful shape for a sitting President and I'd imagine this has been communicated to him on some level.

If he's going to try and torch the place on the way out there is a good argument for de platforming him.

I think he'll either win by the skin of his teeth or get absolutely annihilated in the electoral college, similar to 2012 and Romney.

Has there even been a worse president? Not in modern times in any case, I think there have been a few dodgy ones back in the day, but at least since WWII, Trump is an absolute joke.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Has there even been a worse president? Not in modern times in any case, I think there have been a few dodgy ones back in the day, but at least since WWII, Trump is an absolute joke.

Cheney would be right up there.

Cheney accomplished a lot of what he wanted to do.

He was a disaster, but not from his perspective. He was quite successful.

Wasn’t president though unless I’m going senile.

Well there are some who would say that he pretty much exercised the power of president without ever being elected as one.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

today is the first day in a long long time that the betting odds moved from him being the favourite.

both him and Biden are now at evens.

Hopefully that movement direction continues

Cheney was 100% president for the entirety of Bush 2, it's an established fact.

• Advertisement

His only saving grace is his incompetence and ineffectiveness.

Cheney was 100% president for the entirety of Bush 2, it's an established fact.

He ran US foreign policy for pretty much the entire administration. Iraq was his idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Only two games in but I’ve enjoyed watching the NRL in the absence of union. Roosters Rabbitohs on sky sports now

https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news/george-floyd-protest-updates-05-28-20/index.html

this is mental

CNN reporter, and his crew, arrested live on TV in minnesota

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

sydthebeat wrote: »
    https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news/george-floyd-protest-updates-05-28-20/index.html

this is mental

CNN reporter, and his crew, arrested live on TV in minnesota

It's crazy how there's just such a lack of critical thinking from their police forces. The guy identifies himself as a reporter, tells them they're live on air, is willing to move out of their way and asks where do they want to move to, but they go ahead and arrest them live on air under the pretence that they didn't move.

It's crazy how there's just such a lack of critical thinking from their police forces. The guy identifies himself as a reporter, tells them they're live on air, is willing to move out of their way and asks where do they want to move to, but they go ahead and arrest them live on air under the pretence that they didn't move.

expect the police to come out with a "arrested for their own protection" type defense on this......

Which network is it again that Trump *particularly* tends to target?

Which network is it again that Trump *particularly* tends to target?

not sure thats an angle on this...

interesting that another CNN reporter a couple of blocks away was not arrested when confronted by the police, and was treated in a much more civil manner.

the only difference between the two situations is that this reporter is white, while omar jimenez isnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

(oh and the cigar and a glass of what was definitely not a cheap whiskey)

Do you think it might be Conor McGregor's Proper 12?

:D

Advertisement