Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭ratracer

After reading these threads I’m still as confused as ever about what to get!
    Any help greatly received, TIA!

My house and garage aren’t wired for Cat 5 or 6, so Ethernet is not an option. I currently have Eir F2000 modem ( 150 Mb/S). I was using TP link AV600 power line adaptor to get signal to the garage, as my old laptop had an Ethernet port. This worked fine. New laptop doesn’t, so I bought a TP Link AV600 Wi-Fi which is a) unreliable for signal and b) very slow when it does stay connected. ( ~ 8 mb/S).

Am I right in thinking that if I get a mesh system, and power the nodes with TP-link power lines, also connecting the nodes and power lines with Ethernet cable, then turn off the Wi-Fi mode in eir router would get me the optimum range/ speed available to me?

I’m confused even just reading this back!!!

Btw: house is dormer, with block walls and concrete floors, 2,400 sq ft, modem at front door in centre of house, garage out back 50m from modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ratracer wrote: »

My house and garage aren’t wired for Cat 5 or 6, so Ethernet is not an option. I currently have Eir F2000 modem ( 150 Mb/S). I was using TP link AV600 power line adaptor to get signal to the garage, as my old laptop had an Ethernet port. This worked fine. New laptop doesn’t, so I bought a TP Link AV600 Wi-Fi which is a) unreliable for signal and b) very slow when it does stay connected. ( ~ 8 mb/S).

Am I right in thinking that if I get a mesh system, and power the nodes with TP-link power lines, also connecting the nodes and power lines with Ethernet cable, then turn off the Wi-Fi mode in eir router would get me the optimum range/ speed available to me?

Btw: house is dormer, with block walls and concrete floors, 2,400 sq ft, modem at front door in centre of house, garage out back 50m from modem.

Buy the Huawei Q2

https://www.box.co.uk/Huawei-WiFi-Q2-Pro-Wi-Fi-System-(3-Pack)_2784181.html

You wont get better value and it will work in garage via the electic cables which I guess you are using the current TP-Link

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Why not just get a USB to Ethernet adapter for the new laptop and leave it in the shed, when you want to use it just plug it in?

Alternatively, you could get a cheap wifi router, plug it into the ethernet cable and have a new WiFi network it the shed that you can turn on and off as you want.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Buy the Huawei Q2

https://www.box.co.uk/Huawei-WiFi-Q2-Pro-Wi-Fi-System-(3-Pack)_2784181.html

You wont get better value and it will work in garage via the electic cables which I guess you are using the current TP-Link

Does that only work on 5 GHz Wi-Fi though? Some of my devices still need 2.4 GHz.

Clareman wrote: »
    Why not just get a USB to Ethernet adapter for the new laptop and leave it in the shed, when you want to use it just plug it in?

Alternatively, you could get a cheap wifi router, plug it into the ethernet cable and have a new WiFi network it the shed that you can turn on and off as you want.

This was my initial plan, but now with kids doing a lot of school work in their rooms, I’ve realised there are a few dead spots around the house which I also want to try address now while I’m at it.

• Advertisement

Does that only work on 5 GHz Wi-Fi though? Some of my devices still need 2.4 GHz.

No, it has a 2.4ghz channel as well, I checked that as I have similar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/routers/q2-pro-3pack/specs/

Looks to have 802.11n so you should be ok

This was my initial plan, but now with kids doing a lot of school work in their rooms, I’ve realised there are a few dead spots around the house which I also want to try address now while I’m at it.

Probably the best time to do it so :D

In fairness Huawei seem to be the best networking solution around, they get some bad press for being Chinese but I'm sure Google gets bad press in China for being American (or Irish :confused:)

I don't know how scientific this is but when I try to figure out if a mesh/extender will solve a deadspot I'll move the router to where the point will be and then check if I have wifi coverage, there won't be network coverage but you should be able to have local network access so you might be able to access a NAS or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

sweetie wrote: »
    Wheres did you get it? I was looking for a single snd thought it waa discontinued.

You can buy a single one(router) on the Google store for €159, that's what I did and it's worked out very well so far. I may get the WiFi point as well in the near future as WiFi is still weak in one part of the house.

Good enough for me, will give it a go and see how I get on. Has yours shipped yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Good enough for me, will give it a go and see how I get on. Has yours shipped yet?

I ordered mine on Sunday and it shipped yesterday. I got 2*Q2-Pro, might be overkill but the way my house is I think I would have needed at least 4 or 5, plus having all base units it allows me to plug in devices at all locations.

I can't remember where I found it, need to confirm back myself

I ordered my finally on Tuesday morning and it shipped last night.....

Thanks for that Shefwedfan.
    I just got confirmation that my order is ready to ship. This will be a real bargain if it works out.

I may ( will definitely :) ) have more questions when I get to setting this up!

Really appreciate all the invaluable advice received here, shows just how valuable a resource boards.ie is!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

Hi Shefwedfan - would love to see how you get on with the Huawei mesh set up - seeing as you’ve tried other mesh systems.

Quick question - the box offer is for 3 base units - am I right in saying they just plug into the wall like a tp link power line adaptor? The other option is 1 base unit and 2 satellites / I guess the satellites don’t have the power line feature as they are stand alone?

I currently have 5 tp link adaptors on Eir broadband. WiFi isn’t great but sons PS4 is plugged into one of the tp links via Ethernet. It works pretty ok (I think) with sometimes some lag.

A few months ago I tried to switch to faster virgin media broadband / the WiFi was somewhat better but there was barely any speed on the tp link Ethernet link to PS4 / I had their ninga red installers and they couldn’t understand why.

I’m thinking that the Huawei mesh (3 base units) might be better option and might work better for sons PS4.

So would really like to know how you get on!!

DFS UTD wrote: »
    Hi Shefwedfan - would love to see how you get on with the Huawei mesh set up - seeing as you’ve tried other mesh systems.

Quick question - the box offer is for 3 base units - am I right in saying they just plug into the wall like a tp link power line adaptor? The other option is 1 base unit and 2 satellites / I guess the satellites don’t have the power line feature as they are stand alone?

I currently have 5 tp link adaptors on Eir broadband. WiFi isn’t great but sons PS4 is plugged into one of the tp links via Ethernet. It works pretty ok (I think) with sometimes some lag.

A few months ago I tried to switch to faster virgin media broadband / the WiFi was somewhat better but there was barely any speed on the tp link Ethernet link to PS4 / I had their ninga red installers and they couldn’t understand why.

I’m thinking that the Huawei mesh (3 base units) might be better option and might work better for sons PS4.

So would really like to know how you get on!!

I will do but DPP not the fastest shipment company ever and I doubt that price will last for long!! I hope to maybe get mine Monday and will update

I have tested a number of these system so far so know what is good/bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Got the TP Link P9 delivered but I didn’t unbox it in the end because the units are way too big and bulky for what I need.

Ordered google nest instead. 2 day delivery. 5 minute setup, small units, google assist included and it’s made a huge difference to speeds.

My bed is the furthest point away from the router. I was getting low 20’s on a good day and I’m now consistently getting 150 plus.

Excellent bit of kit..

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Got the TP Link P9 delivered but I didn’t unbox it in the end because the units are way too big and bulky for what I need.

Ordered google nest instead. 2 day delivery. 5 minute setup, small units, google assist included and it’s made a huge difference to speeds.

My bed is the furthest point away from the router. I was getting low 20’s on a good day and I’m now consistently getting 150 plus.

Excellent bit of kit..

Hi, where did you get the Nest in two days ?
    Tx.

From the google store..

It ships from the Uk overnight and out for delivery with DHL next day.

towger wrote: »
    Hi, where did you get the Nest in two days ?
    Tx.

Googles store is amazingly quick in fairness, easiest 1 of the quickest online stores I've ever used.

• Advertisement

Googles store is amazingly quick in fairness, easiest 1 of the quickest online stores I've ever used.

I would be quick as well if I was making the margin they are in the mesh system:-)

I would be quick as well if I was making the margin they are in the mesh system:-)

Agreed. It’s definitely over priced in comparison to other offerings of that spec but the units are small and stylish and the system just works. It does exactly what it says on the tin with zero fuss or hassle. I’m happy to pay a premium for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

If I was to get google WiFi and put one of the units in a garden shed, would that provide coverage to the garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Excellent bit of kit..

Would you mind describing your house? Size, rooms, concrete walls/ceiling etc...?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I installed three Fritz box routers in a mesh for about 100 quid total. Mesh works great. Only one of the routers is 5ghz enabled, but for the price, UI and our slow main Internet connection I'm not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

I installed three Fritz box routers in a mesh for about 100 quid total. Mesh works great. Only one of the routers is 5ghz enabled, but for the price, UI and our slow main Internet connection I'm not complaining.

Any links to what you bought

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Where did you buy them. Was there much configuration involved in them

Would you mind describing your house? Size, rooms, concrete walls/ceiling etc...?

I’m not sure of the size but it’s a standard block built dormer bungalow with three bedrooms upstairs and generally open plan downstairs. Some of the internal walls are concrete which creates dead spots particularly in my bedroom which is the opposite side of the house from the router. It’s also where my office is so I really wanted to improve that connection speed and the nest has taken care of that perfectly.

We have FTTH and the wifi was already pretty good so this is just to boost it enough to get rid of the dead spots. I didn’t expect such a dramatic improvement in speeds though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Ordered a 3rd device on Monday - not here yet,odd, as you say they are normally very fast.

Advertisement