Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think of it like this for wifi systems:

Ethernet > Powerline > Tri-band Wifi > Dual-band Wifi

Note Powerline and Tri-band systems can swap positions depending on your home. For instance, poor, old electrical cable can cause powerline to work worse then Tri-band.

This is why I always recommend buying from somewhere with an easy returns policy.

Ethernet is the gold standard, but obviously can be a pain if you aren't pre-wired for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

bk wrote: »
    I think of it like this for wifi systems:

Ethernet > Powerline > Tri-band Wifi > Dual-band Wifi

Note Powerline and Tri-band systems can swap positions depending on your home. For instance, poor, old electrical cable can cause powerline to work worse then Tri-band.

This is why I always recommend buying from somewhere with an easy returns policy.

Ethernet is the gold standard, but obviously can be a pain if you aren't pre-wired for it.

Amazon are the best to be honest. Then I am a Prime member so I get shipping quick. But when you return, the postage is free and as soon as you put into An Post they returned the money into my account

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭iHungry

Hi guys I set up the tp link deco E3. Before set up I did some speed tests. Small 3 bed semi house, my router is upstairs in front bedroom.

Using virgin media hub 3
    240 beside router front bedroom
    170 downstairs in living room at back of house
    5 in back garden conservatory

Using Deco E3 setup I get
    60 beside router front bedroom
    40 downstairs in living room at back of house
    25 in back garden conservatory

So quite a big drop in speeds in two areas but can browse no problem in previous problem areas.

I have turned off 2.4 & 5 GHz and I'm waiting on virgin media to allow me enable modem mode on router. Will test again after its enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I had the exact saem, except with M5.

What do you mean you turned off 2.4 and 5.0. I did nothing at all to my set up, I still have my old wifi network available as it was and Deco is sitting on top of it. Should I be doing something else?

Leroy42 wrote: »

What do you mean you turned off 2.4 and 5.0. I did nothing at all to my set up, I still have my old wifi network available as it was and Deco is sitting on top of it. Should I be doing something else?

The recommendation is turn off the old wifi as this can cause conflicts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

How are these at getting through concrete floors? My WiFi, baby monitors, power line etc all fail miserably. I'm looking at the Tenda MW6. Trying to decide between a 2 or a 3 pack. House is 2600 sq foot with all block walls and concrete slab floors.

WiFi is in the front corner room and makes it about half way across the downstairs. I've been messing around with power lines upstairs and they are just too temperamental.

I've cables to some rooms so I could wire one in two room at opposite end one downstairs and one upstairs and prob get okay coverage.

The other question is do I get the mw6 and be future proofed a bit (£150), or get a 3 pack of the mw3 for £60.

It's really only for the Echo's, fire sticks and phones. All the PC, consoles and even TV are wired.

I have an edwardian three bed, pretty solidly built old house and had google wifi double set that wasn't working absolutely everywhere. Paid £99 last week for a four set BT whole home mini from amazon and its much better. Seen three packs go for as littles a £75 on HDUk recently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd agree 100000% about ethernet being king, if you can get that then go for it, I've had powerlines for years, looking through my Amazon shopping history I bought a set from there in 2006 but I don't think that's my first set either.....

Using the Nest Wifi is the best alternative solution in my opinion, I've a standard 4 bedroom house which has an extension out the back so wifi was just about getting to the furthest point (SIRO is installed at the front of the house), sometimes I'd turn off wifi on my phone and just use 4G, coverage out the back lawn was never an option. With Nest Wifi I have full coverage everywhere, I picked up a base unit and 3 satellites, I didn't need the 3 satellites but I'm using them as smart speakers (terrible waste I know).

I stream 4K over Plex without any problems, I haven't had to do any troubleshooting of any issues and the whole system was a doodle to setup, as an IT professional it is scary how easy it was to setup. The family schedules are extremely handy as are the google site blocking options, I haven't gone too far into the rabbit hole of configuring it to be honest because it just works and the speed of connection on all devices are fine.

1 nice features if the guest wifi and having a QR code on the Hub Max, very handy for guests rather than having to give out the password, I know that can be done easily enough but it's a surprisingly handy setup (even if I've only used it twice).

Yes it was recommended to turn them off and enable modem mode. Are you happy with your decos so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

I ordered Google Wifi 2 pack last week, expecting delivery today. Working from home made the various minor issues i was well aware of now unbaerable. Have a good few Google products (thermostate, Cameras, Speakers) and happy with the quality, and also the reviews look really good.

No doubt i will be back on here with some queries in the near future....

budhabob wrote: »
    I ordered Google Wifi 2 pack last week, expecting delivery today. Working from home made the various minor issues i was well aware of now unbaerable. Have a good few Google products (thermostate, Cameras, Speakers) and happy with the quality, and also the reviews look really good.

While i think of it, and given i have a good few smart tech items already in the house, am i best of putting them on the guest network, and keep the main network for every day use?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

iHungry wrote: »
    Using virgin media hub 3
    240 beside router front bedroom
    170 downstairs in living room at back of house
    5 in back garden conservatory

Using Deco E3 setup I get
    60 beside router front bedroom
    40 downstairs in living room at back of house
    25 in back garden conservatory

So quite a big drop in speeds in two areas but can browse no problem in previous problem areas..

This is a great example of what I was saying earlier that wifi mesh systems can improve reliability, but can have poor overall performance.

A lot of people rave about them because they allow them to get a connection where they normally wouldn't, like in your garden. Previously not fast enough for HD video, but now it is.

However most people aren't techies and most likely don't do speed tests, so don't see how the overall performance is suffering.

Of course that might not matter to most people. As long as they can watch Netflix where previously they couldn't, they are happy.

But for some people it does matter (like backups to a NAS) and it is important to understand the limitation and how you could get better performance with different wifi systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yes it was recommended to turn them off and enable modem mode. Are you happy with your decos so far?

As BK mentioned, the speed took a massive hit, but it sorted out the deadzone issue I was having with the garage and so from that respect it solved my problem.

The speed is still fast enough (50mbps) so it doesn't really effect the overall. But at the moment, I have simply daisychained them to the router (VM) without doing anything thing like making it modem mode. I will dig into that the next few days.

I still have the VM wifi network, so if I'm looking at Netflix or casting to Chrome etc I use that as the speed is faster.

They are very easy to set up, are small and neat so don't look out of place.

I have tried extenders, old hubs etc, and with WFH it was really getting to be a big issue so overall just glad to have it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Went with the Tenda Nova MW6. £145 for the 3 pack. Might be a little overkill as it covers up to 6000 sq foot. The issue I was worried about is my Router and Bedroom are on the left side of the house (one downstairs at the front the other upstairs at the back) So I kinda needed one for the right side of the building to cover the sitting room, sun room and two sitting rooms that might have been out of reach.

Will see how it plays out. Should be here at the end of the month.

As BK mentioned, the speed took a massive hit, but it sorted out the deadzone issue I was having with the garage and so from that respect it solved my problem.

The speed is still fast enough (50mbps) so it doesn't really effect the overall. But at the moment, I have simply daisychained them to the router (VM) without doing anything thing like making it modem mode. I will dig into that the next few days.

I still have the VM wifi network, so if I'm looking at Netflix or casting to Chrome etc I use that as the speed is faster.

They are very easy to set up, are small and neat so don't look out of place.

I have tried extenders, old hubs etc, and with WFH it was really getting to be a big issue so overall just glad to have it sorted.

Yes like you it's sorted out a deadzone for me but...I'm going to see how this TP-link E3 setup performs. I was a bit alarmed at the loss of speeds. I'm thinking now should I be downgrading the broadband package as the speed is taking such a hit. If I try for a faster mesh can anyone recommend the fastest setup?

Hi, try a few speed tests before you set it up. I have read this new Google nest wifi is the best one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

bk wrote: »
    This is a great example of what I was saying earlier that wifi mesh systems can improve reliability, but can have poor overall performance.

A lot of people rave about them because they allow them to get a connection where they normally wouldn't, like in your garden. Previously not fast enough for HD video, but now it is.

However most people aren't techies and most likely don't do speed tests, so don't see how the overall performance is suffering.

Of course that might not matter to most people. As long as they can watch Netflix where previously they couldn't, they are happy.

But for some people it does matter (like backups to a NAS) and it is important to understand the limitation and how you could get better performance with different wifi systems.

That's a bit like motor companies building their cars for the fastest lap of the Nürburgring but in reality the cars will never go over the speed limit. I know people with HUGE houses that complain about the poor quality of the wifi when all they use is the free router from the isp, they are horrified at the thought of spending money on a new router

I went mesh for a few reasons. I have a old TP-Link system with multiple plugs which worked, but the performance was poor in terms of coverage. Also because you had multiple standalone wifi hot spots you ended up standing in one spot in the house on IP calls.

So the mesh does give a boost in performance because now I have support for 5Ghz but I have a stable performance over the majority of the house and now with the new system I should have full coverage, but the huge benefit is I can walk around the house on IP calls/zoom calls etc without losing connectivity.

One thing to note, if buying off Amazon check the warehouse, you will get perfect ones in the open box section

Yes like you it's sorted out a deadzone for me but...I'm going to see how this TP-link E3 setup performs. I was a bit alarmed at the loss of speeds. I'm thinking now should I be downgrading the broadband package as the speed is taking such a hit. If I try for a faster mesh can anyone recommend the fastest setup?

Well that is the slowest speed Virgin Media deliver :)

I see this TP-link E3 system is a dual band system, which would be the slowest mesh system.

If you can run ethernet cables to each location and used a system that supported that, then that would give you best performance. You'd probably get 240Mb/s or close to it at each location.

Obviously not everyone can run ethernet, so next best would be either a powerline system or a tri-band mesh system. They should offer faster speeds.

Do be honest if I could wait for a while I would hold out for a WiFi 6 solution to come more affordable and more commonplace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Got Nest Wifi router today. Bit gutted that the router isn't a Google assistant speaker. WiFi range seems grand, probably slight weaker than the virgin media hub but hopefully should be more stable, real reason I bought it.

I have to admit that I didn't realise that but I have it right next to a Max Speaker so not an issue for me. I think it takes a bit of time for all the updates to sync in and there is a bit of "learning" before it locks down, it does stuff like automatically change bands and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Have been lurking about here for a while, I've an old house with split levels and poor WiFi in many areas, I opted for the Huawei Q2 pro over the Deco P9.
    https://consumer.huawei.com/en/routers/q2-pro-3pack/
    Main reason price but also reading it seems to use the 3 wires for powerline which they say helps signal transmission.

Hope to get the kit next week and I'll report back on how I get on.

Gerry T wrote: »
    Have been lurking about here for a while, I've an old house with split levels and poor WiFi in many areas, I opted for the Huawei Q2 pro over the Deco P9.
    https://consumer.huawei.com/en/routers/q2-pro-3pack/
    Main reason price but also reading it seems to use the 3 wires for powerline which they say helps signal transmission.

Hope to get the kit next week and I'll report back on how I get on.

You buy from box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I've been following this with interest.......as well as the price and stock jumps of the Deco m4! 4 bed standard semi d with the Virgin router in front room far corner. Ran a speed test in various parts of the house as my wifi always switches to mobile data in one of the back bedrooms of the house.

Room with the Hub 3 gives me 240 mbps as does inside the back corner of the house which is straight line with double doors to front room. Office/spare bedroom for WFH, which is front of the house and diagonal gives me about 220 (I was suprised because the connection drops throughout the day!). Own bedrooom is front of house too and about same. But the back two rooms are about 31mbps. And the garden just doesnt exist for wifi.

I take it a 3 back of these should definitely help? Or would i get away with one to replace the route and one upstairs to improve the signal to the back bedrooms. Though i expect one in the kitchen to get to all points of the garden? thanks guys.

So the Google wifi was easy to set up, and has doubled the speed in the office straight away, and improved connectivity throughout the house. Very happy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Logged into Amazon today and the MW6 was down £10, cancelled and reordered. And it should arrive earlier too.

Hoping this will be good. I've Ethernet wired to each room so will be able to plug all three cubes in. Hopefully get 100mb + around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Shefwedfan wrote:
    You buy from box?

I did yes, great price, hope it delivers !

They have also a reduced price on the 3pack with 1base and 2 satellites, but I went for the pack with 3 bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

So the Google wifi was easy to set up, and has doubled the speed in the office straight away, and improved connectivity throughout the house. Very happy so far.

Wheres did you get it? I was looking for a single snd thought it waa discontinued.

• Advertisement

Gerry T wrote: »
    I did yes, great price, hope it delivers !

They have also a reduced price on the 3pack with 1base and 2 satellites, but I went for the pack with 3 bases.

I ended up a load of stuff from that site so only got dispatched last night after I cancelled my order twice :-) wont get till next week now:mad:

Advertisement