Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Think I'm gonna do that then because their live chat was useless! Thank you!

I think they have different teams for social media versus chat/phone. With the social media team being far more experienced. At least that use to be the case when they had a Talk to Forum here on boards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Thanx4dafeedbk

I have a linksys setup in my gaf and its excellent. Works on third floor and up in attic room too its Exceptional.
    i havent a clue how its setup as my driver did it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

skodacb wrote: »
    Really surprised by that. I have the exact same Hub 3.0 and contacted them via a Twitter DM and they changed it from IPV6 to IPV4 within 30 minutes today so I could set up my Nest properly. The Hub is now just a modem.

Can I ask a question? What is the difference between linking the Deco M5, or I guess any mesh system, to the router (in this case VM 3.0) and getting it changed to a modem?

Apologies if I am butchering even the asking of the question

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Apologies, I know, a bit off topic, but earlier we were discussing how good the Nvidia Shield TV is and I just happen to come across a very good review video of the latest edition and thought some folks might be interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYfmxb1OqzE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Can I ask a question? What is the difference between linking the Deco M5, or I guess any mesh system, to the router (in this case VM 3.0) and getting it changed to a modem?

Apologies if I am butchering even the asking of the question

This is done to effectivly have one M5 act as your primary router. This is assuming that you have bridged your VM router so now it is just a modem. Doing this gives you all the routing features of the Tp-link system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

SO I went a bit crazy and decided to go on a bit of a limb. I cancelled my order for the TP-Link P9

Instead I bought 2 sets of the following: https://www.box.co.uk/Huawei-WiFi-Q2-Pro-Wi-Fi-System-(3-Pack)_2784181.html

Will be interesting to see how they work

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    SO I went a bit crazy and decided to go on a bit of a limb. I cancelled my order for the TP-Link P9

Instead I bought 2 sets of the following: https://www.box.co.uk/Huawei-WiFi-Q2-Pro-Wi-Fi-System-(3-Pack)_2784181.html

Will be interesting to see how they work

Well that is certainly a fantastic price. It is over a £100 more on Amazon for the same kit! I actually wonder if that is a misprice.

Looks good on paper anyway, but can't really find any reviews. Let us know how it goes.

bk wrote: »
    Well that is certainly a fantastic price. It is over a £100 more on Amazon for the same kit! I actually wonder if that is a misprice.

Looks good on paper anyway, but can't really find any reviews. Let us know how it goes.

Honestly I think it might be a wrong price when you think the smaller system is more expensive: https://www.box.co.uk/Huawei-MEsh-WiFi-Q2-Pro-(Base-2-Satell_2784178.html

They did have one set at 120 quid but I missed and the price went "up" to 139.99

No idea how they are so cheap, paid a tenner for shipment of both sets but if they do what they say then it will be incredible setup.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

You can get the exact same package on Amazon for £154.99 so it's £10 cheaper, that may not be a mistake.

You can get the exact same package on Amazon for £154.99 so it's £10 cheaper, that may not be a mistake.

This is what I bought
    https://www.box.co.uk/Huawei-WiFi-Q2-Pro-Wi-Fi-System-(3-Pack)_2784181.html

Same kit on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-Gigabit-Seamless-Roaming-Everywhere/dp/B07ZTPZCBT/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1QDK2908XISIJ&dchild=1&keywords=huawei+q2+pro+wifi&qid=1588966497&sprefix=huawei+q2%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-1

It has been on sale for 190 quid on Amazon before

• Advertisement

Ah yes of course. Yes that has to be a mistake.

What usually happens is that if only a few are ordered they will honour the price but if too many people do the hit will be too large for them to take.

What usually happens is that if only a few are ordered they will honour the price but if too many people do the hit will be too large for them to take.

Hence why I will stick it on bargain when it ships :-)

Shouldn't have posted about it. Enough people ordering from reading this thread could make them cancel all orders on the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭coolbreeze01

Hi folks stumbled across this thread when I started looking into this myself.
    Some great info here has gotten me looking into the tp link p series for the powerline.

I had been considering this
    https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Amplifi-Router-802-11ac-Standard-WPA2-PSK/dp/B01L9O07FS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=amplifi+hd&qid=1589183007&sprefix=Amplifi+&sr=8-3 as it has 4 full fat lan ports and seems to get good reviews, any one had any experience with that it's from ubiquity whom are supposed to be the leaders of mesh systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

Hi folks stumbled across this thread when I started looking into this myself.
    Some great info here has gotten me looking into the tp link p series for the powerline.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Amplifi-Router-802-11ac-Standard-WPA2-PSK/dp/B01L9O07FS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=amplifi+hd&qid=1589183007&sprefix=Amplifi+&sr=8-3 as it has 4 full fat lan ports and seems to get good reviews, any one had any experience with that it's from ubiquity whom are supposed to be the leaders of mesh systems?

Just to echo this. As a result of reading this thread I changed from having almost pulled the trigger on 2 sets of Powerline adapters, to ordering the TP-Link Deco P9 system on Amazon (3-pack, for £177, just before it went out of stock!).

Should have it late this week or early next week and hoping it will resolve the wireless woes which have plagued me over the past few weeks. It's really frustrating to have gotten fibre in and then to be reduced to really poor speeds operating off wireless.

Hope this will be relevatory for us!! Thanks again for all the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Biscuit80

Hi All, looking for a little bit of advice before pulling the trigger on buying a mesh system for my house so any advice would be really appreciated.

My understanding is that in order to avoid any double NAT issues, the existing router should be put into bridge mode and then connect the mesh system into it.

I'm currently with Sky (SR102 Router) and there is no option of putting this into bridge mode from what i can see. I have no issues with buying a new router which has this ability but i'm struggling to get PPPoE details from Sky - they say this is not something they support.

Would anyone know how i could set any potential replacement router with the correct PPPoE details? I have searched for this information but haven't found anything that might help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'm torn between that and the Nest Wifi - the Nest seems to have the fastest and best coverage from a bunch of video reviews I've seen but it only has a single LAN port on the router itself whereas the Amplifi has 4. I've a few things next to the router that could operate over wifi but really should be wired in so its a tough one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

JohnK wrote: »
    I'm torn between that and the Nest Wifi - the Nest seems to have the fastest and best coverage from a bunch of video reviews I've seen but it only has a single LAN port on the router itself whereas the Amplifi has 4. I've a few things next to the router that could operate over wifi but really should be wired in so its a tough one.

A cheap 8 Port Gigabit switch can be got for less than €40 so why worry if your Mesh system includes extra ports? The only advantage to the switch being built in is there are less wires and one less power supply to plug in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have the Nest Wifi and the lack of LAN port was a major concern for me but to be honest because coverage is so good it's not an issue. For stuff that has to have a physical cable like the Philips Hue hub or my Yale alarm I just have them plugged into the router I got from the ISP. I didn't think I'd use the speaker functionality but I have to say it's extremely handy for the doorbell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭coolbreeze01

Would there be an issue with bandwidth on a switch from the 1 port from the tp link?

I will have a pc running kodi and a nas with 4k video so just worried about them or do they communicate through the switch so, if that makes sense :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm running 4k from my Plex over wifi with no problems whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Just got my TP-Link M%, attached to my Virgin Media 3.0 Router. Did a speedtest prior and after

The main issue for me was not speed as much as lack of wifi in certain places and it certainly seems to have dealt with that issue so happy days.

One question though. The speed test gives about have the download speed as the wifi straight from the router. Instead of 100mbps I get roughly 50. Is that because I simply daisy chained it to the router rather than make a bridge or is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

How are these at getting through concrete floors? My WiFi, baby monitors, power line etc all fail miserably. I'm looking at the Tenda MW6. Trying to decide between a 2 or a 3 pack. House is 2600 sq foot with all block walls and concrete slab floors.

WiFi is in the front corner room and makes it about half way across the downstairs. I've been messing around with power lines upstairs and they are just too temperamental.

I've cables to some rooms so I could wire one in two room at opposite end one downstairs and one upstairs and prob get okay coverage.

The other question is do I get the mw6 and be future proofed a bit (£150), or get a 3 pack of the mw3 for £60.

It's really only for the Echo's, fire sticks and phones. All the PC, consoles and even TV are wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

How are these at getting through concrete floors? My WiFi, baby monitors, power line etc all fail miserably. I'm looking at the Tenda MW6. Trying to decide between a 2 or a 3 pack. House is 2600 sq foot with all block walls and concrete slab floors.

WiFi is in the front corner room and makes it about half way across the downstairs. I've been messing around with power lines upstairs and they are just too temperamental.

I've cables to some rooms so I could wire one in two room at opposite end one downstairs and one upstairs and prob get okay coverage.

The other question is do I get the mw6 and be future proofed a bit (£150), or get a 3 pack of the mw3 for £60.

It's really only for the Echo's, fire sticks and phones. All the PC, consoles and even TV are wired.

I have block walls and concrete floors throughout with no loss of signal on Netgear Orbi.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I have block walls and concrete floors throughout with no loss of signal on Netgear Orbi.

Netgear Orbi are a serious step up from the Tenda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Dav010 wrote: »

Agree

The Building is 150 years old, 5 floors and re-enforced concrete floors (old industrial building) triple brick walls throughout and Orbi does a fantastic job throughout the whole building. No loss of signal anywhere and SIMPLE to install and maintain.

We operate wireless terminals on floor one. Offices are on floor 3 and 5. Wired connection for some computers that require faster connectivity, but guest access and office internet are reliable and fast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I have the MW6's, set of 3. I gave my views on them in an earlier postin this thread. They work great but I dont have concrete walls.

If you have wired ethernet, then use that and buy devices to support that. Ethernet will give you by far the best results.

Remember, even if you have a TV or other device already using an ethernet point, a €20 ethernet switch can allow you to "split" it into multiple ports and connect both the TV and a Wireless Access Point at that location. Though some of these devices also have 4 ethernet points, allowing you to avoid the need for a separate switch.

• Advertisement

Ethernet is king, if you have it use it.

I use Mesh because I don't have ethernet. To try and get the benefits of ethernet I am use powerline to bump the performance past those pesky block walls

Advertisement