Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options
1535455565759»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

If you are just looking to improve the Wifi, there is no need to get rid of the Gigabox...just disable the wifi and just plug the access point into the gigabox ethernet port. Im into the whole unifi range, but you could get something like this Access Point U7 Pro - Ubiquiti Store Europe this will be a monster AP that does Wifi 7 etc

My question is do you really need wifi 6e or Wifi 7...yes amazing speeds you can get with them, but do you really need 1.5Gb/s on your phone when you are on ticktok. You have a a 500mb connection so Wifi 5 will max this out anyway.

My suggestion is get one of these UniFi Express - Ubiquiti Store Europe to act as gateway router and also has wifi, then maybe a Switch Flex Mini - Ubiquiti Store Europe to add in a few more ethernet ports then a Access Point U6 Plus - Ubiquiti Store Europe to extended your wifi to the other end of the house about €280 bucks boom done. The Unifi express will manage the acess points and this will be scaleable into the future.

That archer C7 is years old as far as I am aware and while its good things move on.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've asked before, but wondering if any progress has been made at this stage...

I can't get Wi-Fi outside of the walls of the house. The insulation is too good! without drilling a hole and pulling a wire to the exterior, is there anything that can get a signal through the walls... *Note, my Arlo cameras work outside as Hue bulbs within a (very) limited range.

I have a solar battery in the shed (its less than 2m away from the router) that I can't connect to & wanting to set up a sprinkler system that works off Wi-Fi...

In the house, I have Google Mesh (Gen 2), three points in a small house... so I'm over compensating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Looking for a steer on the most pragmatic solution to extend WiFi within an apartment. The router is located in the main living room and throws out up to 300mb speed over 2.4GHz and 5GHz sufficient for use in the main living area but I've an office in a spare bedroom which gets zero 5GHz and the 2.4GHz is degraded to a max speed of 30mb.

Is there a single unit solution that would plug into the router and deliver at least 100mb to the office or do I need a 2 unit solution, one connected to the router and one closer to the office in order to improve the speed I get in the office?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Declan1

Have been using a DECO P9 system for the last 4 years but unfortunately two of the units have begun making high pitch squealing noises so I need to replace the system. Went searching on Amazon and am overwhelmed at the options out there - am I best of sticking with more P9s from DECO or is there a better option now? Google mesh worth a look? House is newish build with thick insulated walls, 2500 square feet. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Just got Eir Fibre with the F3000 box.

I’d like to extend wifi with a mesh but rather than spend money dedicated nodes. I was thinking of buying a backup wifi 6 router which could then be used with another ISP when the Eir contract ends.

Is the following a workable plan? 4 bed house.

Buy a wifi 6 router such as the Huawei AX3 and set it up as a mesh access point node to the F3000?

Is there another router anyone would recommend to do this?

Many thanks

Post edited by dermiestv on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Dont know if that Huawei can act as an access point, but if you want to in the future be able to swap ISPs and use your own equipment then maybe look at Unifi (I am a Unifi fanboy so appolgies!!) How about this its a router with a Wifi 6 radio and can replace your F3000.

https://eu.store.ui.com/eu/en/pro/category/all-unifi-cloud-gateways/products/ux

You will have to get a small switch to expand out the ethernet ports but you can get one of these for €30 https://eu.store.ui.com/eu/en/pro/category/all-switching/products/usw-flex-mini

You can then add in another one of their access points (hard wired better, but can be Meshed) to extend your coverage to all areas https://eu.store.ui.com/eu/en/pro/category/all-wifi/products/uk-ultra

You would have a solid intergrated Wifi and home network and you can expanded later if needs be.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Advertisement