Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wifi mesh systems

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If you have ftth you can dispose of the sky router as long as what you are replacing it with allows you to tag a vlan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Yep, you can ditch the Sky modem completely.

Attach ethernet from ONT to ethernet port on the TP-Link Mesh (or any other Mesh that supports VLAN tagging).

Chose the PPPoE option and enter

Username anything@skydsl

Password  anything

You would need to also enter

Vlan id 10

MTU 1500 

Priority should be 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭MickH503

This worked great, thanks for the info. (Didn't see the MTU setting)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've been using TP Link Deco XE75 ever since I gave up on Google Wifi last August. Triband, Wifi 6E, 6ghz etc. etc. - cost 450 euros too.

When it works it is great, but whenever it decides to stop working it is really a hassle. Sometimes this means resetting the whole network and adding each device one by one, or now for example one of the nodes is losing connection to the base and I just can't get it back working solidly (weirdly it had worked fine in this spot since August). Hard resets etc don't make a difference. Looking online, lots of people have similar issues with TP Link.

I'm going to try to send it back before my 12-month warranty is up.

Does anyone recommend anything else that would do the same job? 180m2 over 3 floors, have a few Nest cameras & Philips Hue connected, main thing I am looking for is reliability for video calls etc, and ideally just plug it out and plug it in again to fix whenever something does go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm still on nest wifi and no plans to change... Two robots, 30ish hue lights, 6ish speakers, thermostats, solar and a bunch of other stuff, all working well. It's never dropped out and I can't imagine needing more bandwidth...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I might give that a try, I had the original Google WiFi which didn't work well though

• Registered Users Posts: 3 quasi1

• Registered Users Posts: 3 quasi1

Hi! Would you happen to know if TP Link Deco M9 supports VLAN tagging? Conflicting results from google.

Many thanks

From my experience, all the TP-Link's have VLAN tagging.

I'd say go for it if you're thinking of buying. I have the M5s and they're a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Thanks for these instructions but they actually confused me because I couldn't find a lot of the settings you were referring to. I have TP-Link X55 with the latest Deco app and these are the steps I followed

From deco app home page go to More(botton right) > Advanced > IPTV/VLAN

Configure it like this

• Advertisement

YYeah if you go into a different setting "Operation Mode" and select Wifi Router, it should guide you through the steps then for the PPPOe details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Hope this is the correct place to ask. I have an garden office room and have been using a Deco M5 system since start of the year which has picked up amazing WiFi signal from the house (maybe 20/25m away). The M5 is inside a back window, with great signal inside the house, and my laptop in the office was easily getting 100mbps.

In the last week or 2 this has completely changed and is picking up 5-10mbps, amd won't work for video calls. I've done the usual turn on/turn off the WiFi and the Deco system, installed Deco updates, and nothing is getting the signal back to what it previously was.

Any ideas please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Are the other M5 units working well? Maybe try this link to see what you can find out: https://youtu.be/5PCeJxuHYu0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

We have the new Virgin Media WiFi 6 router.

It's upstairs in the front of the house. Downstairs at the back of the extension the signal is very bad. We do have the front room downstairs and the extension wired with Ethernet from beside the router.

Is a mesh system the best for us to give whole house connectivity? Obviously using an Ethernet back haul would be preferred if so.

I have the Firestick at the back of the house running off Ethernet and can use a switch to extend this to tv, PS4, etc. but phones, laptops and smart devices are struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

NBI fiber due in a month or so, and im thinking about a network, for large bungalow with external detached garage.

looking for advice on the following:

going to go with wifi 6e. i will be able to run cat 5 ( or cat 6 ) to 2 x access points. My garage is detached and hoping to have a AP close by to it. All APs will be ethernet backhul. will run a ethernet to TV.

Was thinking that id use a switch to connect all the APs and also a few IP cameras that im getting.

So what manafacturer would you recommend for:

Switch?

APs?

ethernet cable...Cat 5 or 6?

Wifi 6 or 6e?

Is there a 6e mesh system you would recommend for this scenario? or is there a better way to set this up? TIA

PS

would like to have all my IOT on its own network, as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

tks. but could be a bit technical for the likes of me!

Ah it's not really, great learning experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I use a Friztbox and have set-up a mesh network. I've removed the Eir 1GB modem from the equation and after a lot of changes to settings I seem to operating ok. On the 5GHz channel I can get +600 GB download but only about 70-80GB on the 2.4Ghz channel. Anything obvious I am doing wrong here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

70-80 GB is about the max 2.4GHz wifi will give you in realistic conditions so nothing wrong here as far as I can see.

2.4 GHz is good for range and will go through walls etc better, 5GHz will give you speed but is affected by walls.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Have Nest wifi, used to have Virgin BB and we (and I can't remember the term sorry) switched the modem to a certain mode and ran purely using the Nest.

Moved to Eir FTTH.....isn't nearly as speedy as it should be and I think the eir modem and nest wifi are flighting with each other?

Tried doing the same to the eir router but it doesn't seem to work the same way.

Any tips?

Is it worth the price? I'd go for the previous gen as my broadband is 500mb to begin with...

Does wifi 6 pass through walls easier than 5? I'm having difficulty getting the signal to my shed outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi guys,

I'm living rurally on the Galway-Mayo border for the past 8 years and have been struggling with extremely bad broadband for all of that time.

NBI website says my address is currently pending survey and estimated connection sometime between January 2025 & December 2026. So looking like it ain't coming anytime soon!

Anyhow we currently use Vodafone mobile broadband - very inconsistent at times almost unusable, which is a disaster as we both WFH currently.

I've only just heard of the Starlink satellite broadband. The upfront hardware cost is expensive but to be honest it would be worth it for us given the pathetic speeds and unreliable connection that we currently have.

I've been reading that the included Starlink router wifi range is poor, so will be needing to setup a mesh network so we have decent connectivity both upstairs and downstairs.

The longwinded intro above is leading into my main question... how many units do you think we would need to have decent coverage throughout our house? We live in an approx. 2,000 square foot dormer.

Wife works downstairs in the sitting room (the Starlink router will be housed here), whilst I work from a spare bedroom upstairs.

Looking at buying Eero 6+ or Pro 6 for the mesh network. These are typically sold in one, two or three unit packs. Do you think would two of these units be sufficient for us - or better off getting the 3 pack?

TIA - have zero experience with mesh network previously so just wondering what more experienced people think.

It's called 'pass through' or 'bridge mode' on the eir router... you access the settings through the IP address of the router in your browser.

Don't know anything about the 6 sorry, I have the original setup.

Thats it thanks.

I tried logging into eir modem to update it which worked but when I disconnected the eir router from the socket on the wall and replaced with the Google one (so the signal goes through that) it wouldn't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

If using the Eir router in bridge mode you need to leave it connected to the ONT (wall socket) and connect the Nest to it.

If not using phone or TV many routers can be connected directly to the ONT if they support VLAN tagging. I think I saw people report that the original Nest may not support it but their support page suggests if (firmware) is recently updated it would so they may have added support.

Thanks we use eir TV so sounds like we need to leave the eir router connected and just switch it to bridge mode.

Will check that out, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

My brother had the same issues with getting reliable internet in rural Ireland. He got the starlink system along with a set of 3 TP Link Deco mesh unit, not sure the model exactly but not Wifi 6 capable I don't think. Anyway he has been raving about it ever since he got it, the speed is fast and consistent. The only thing I'd say is Eero mesh system is a bit overkill considering you probably have very few wifi 6 capable devices and the actual download speeds through starlink will be the bottleneck although still perfectly fine for anything you need. I guess you are future proofing for if and when you get proper broadband though

Advertisement