Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At least he speaks the truth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Was gas when he came out with the idea of blaming the WHO. That's been his strategy all his life, he needs an enemy, someone else must be to blame for his own failures. He used this time and again in his "business" career and now he making use of it in politics.

I think it'll work too. In the past his performance on the pandemic would have sunk his re-election hopes, but now I can see him turning every little improvement in the situation at state level into a personal victory and by the end of the year he'll be living in that US army bomber jacket and pretending he's Eisenhower. There are enough mouth breathers in America to be suckered again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Agricola wrote: »
    Was gas when he came out with the idea of blaming the WHO. That's been his strategy all his life, he needs an enemy, someone else must be to blame for his own failures. He used this time and again in his "business" career and now he making use of it in politics.

I think it'll work too. In the past his performance on the pandemic would have sunk his re-election hopes, but now I can see him turning every little improvement in the situation at state level into a personal victory and by the end of the year he'll be living in that US army bomber jacket and pretending he's Eisenhower. There are enough mouth breathers in America to be suckered again.

oh id say hes gonna be reelected alright, poor americans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

For a start there are a few things we should bear in mind....we Irish fawn all over Democratic Presidents in particular and their wives it has to be said....we turn up in the 100,000s to hear them tell us how great we are...so we are not exactly the most unbiased people....

The American Political system has been contaminated by corporate lobbyists over the last few decades...the Bush's and Clintons have been the most obvious beneficiaries of this huge industry...in 2016...it was looking like a Bush / Clinton battle again...you can understand why ordinary Americans turned to a political novice like Trump.

This obsession with him is some sight to behold, how the f##k anyone in Ireland thinks they are in a position to be navel gazing at thick yanks is a mystery to me....the man does not take a wage...we pay our President €250,000 a year to shake people's hand, and we pay his personal secretary whom is extremely close to a further €50,000 ..... we have just returned FF to power, arguably one of the most corrupted political parties in Europe over the last few decades it was them or SF the political wing of a terrorist organisation...we are riddled with dysfunction in health, education, infrastructure.....

There are a few things I have come to admire about him, he has incredible energy for a man his age, he has incredible disdain for the media industry, and he is right to...he also has some sense of humour....

He has had everything thrown at him, false rape accusations, impeachment, Russian collusion, fascism (this is the biggest joke of them all, Americans hate big government, they are the polar opposite of fascists)...racism, misogyny, homophobia....etc etc....

After that, I have no idea how competent or incompetent he is, I'd imagine he falls somewhere along the middle like the rest of the presidents....I'll leave that up to ordinary Americans to decide....

But to those people who believe that he has been a complete disaster for every month of his 3 and a half year presidency would want to take a serious look at themselves...you have been duped by a media industry that most people no longer are influenced by....

We don't like ordinary Americans or Brits for that matter it seems based on how they vote, because they don't do as they are told....we are incredible subservient to power....we can't understand people who aren't!!!
    The thing about US politics is it doesn't even matter who is president, they all do the exact same things (economic sanctions on their economic rivals, oil wars in Middle East etc). There is such strong propaganda in American media (and Western media in general) that the public are never apalled at the actions of their government. Trump becoming president was perfect for the establishment. It has taken all of the attention away from the US governments actions which haven't changed one bit and instead has focused it on Trump's personality (racist, stupid, misogynistic, big ego etc). Irish people compare him to Obama and think 'oh he's a bad president he's not as intelligent or charismatic as Obama he must be bad' while literally nothing is different. American politics is run by corporations and mega billionaires. The president is just a figurehead that the public falsely think they can vote in and out to change things.

At this point, anyone who doesn't get annoyed by Trump I believe is deliberately doing so for one of 3 reasons.
    They are playing their own game.
    They lack a sense of moral quality.
    They lack the intelligence to understand what is going on.

He is every bit as bad as some suggested he would be before he became President.
    He has demonstrably lied more than any US President in history.

Their is a 3rd option that noone.cares hugely

His actions,(same as most of internet outrage culture),deosnt affect me either way in my daily life

He is a pure clown like,id be mortified if he was irish....but most of world has long suspected your average american is a terrible person,he likely represents large amounts of em well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Agricola wrote: »

We are in the middle of a global pandemic....we are all locked into our houses and for the last month...we can't afford the cost of this we need to borrow more money that has to be paid back in the future....we have devastated our economies...future generations have already been saddled with enough debt that bureaucrats have shoved our way in the past....

The WHO exists to prevent this from happening....it's leaders enjoy lifestyles billionaires can only afford....

What do we Irish do...we send more of that borrowed money we can't afford to the organisation whose job it was to prevent all this....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

His core audience isn't educated to a sufficient level to realise that their dear leader might not be telling the truth all the time - or most of it in fact. You've got a population in the heartlands who have long since given up on engaging in an active inquisitive life and and now happy to be led by the nose as it's easier that way. These people are poor underachievers who have been told for generations they are of little worth other than consumers of cheap stuff. Donald Trump spoke to them in language they understood, which is why the man's own syntax is so child like at this point - go back 30 years and listen to him spout off - it's still mainly rubbish but it's coherent nonsense, he had a vocabulary back then.

The truth he speaks is of someone who neither knows or cares about anything beyond the speed limit signs on the edge of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

His core audience isn't educated to a sufficient level to realise that their dear leader might not be telling the truth all the time - or most of it in fact. You've got a population in the heartlands who have long since given up on engaging in an active inquisitive life and and now happy to be led by the nose as it's easier that way. These people are poor underachievers who have been told for generations they are of little worth other than consumers of cheap stuff. Donald Trump spoke to them in language they understood, which is why the man's own syntax is so child like at this point - go back 30 years and listen to him spout off - it's still mainly rubbish but it's coherent nonsense, he had a vocabulary back then.

The truth he speaks is of someone who neither knows or cares about anything beyond the speed limit signs on the edge of town.

You see...I'd agree with that....if you also included Obama/Clinton and Bush supporters also....just because people have a degree doesn't make them smart...in fact, people who live closer to the poverty line are often smarter because they have to be...the don't have the safety nets others enjoy.

What has become very obvious to me over the last few years, is the complete snobbery middle class people are riddled with...the complete disdain they have for people from poorer area's has been an eye opener.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The WHO exists to prevent this from happening....it's leaders enjoy lifestyles billionaires can only afford....

Dunno where you got that idea, the top job there earns about $250k a year. I'm sure they get expenses, travel etc but hardly the billionaire lifestyle.

As for Trump, he's a politician, he makes false promises, he lies about many things, he deflects blames when things go wrong and he tries to take credit for everything like any other politican. He's just not as good at it as others.

When you're a wealthy individual who was regularly involved in dubious business practices, surrounded yourself with yes men who never questioned you and is used to getting your own way in business, but is now being suddenly questioned about every decision, having people telling you no and under intense scrutiny for everything you say and do, the true character comes out. His just happens to do this and displays it for the whole world to see and record.

Whether we like it or not, his actions will impact pretty much everyone as the US has a huge influence globally and unfortunately we have to hear about it everyday.

Trump is like Brexit at this stage, people are so fed up with hearing about them both, I just tend to ignore 95% of articles about either now which is difficult as I'm an avid reader of news and publications that report on global issues and whatever is being discussed in the current news cycle :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I think it's unfair to label his core supporters as poor underachievers, I'd imagine a lot of wealthy, successful people also voted for Trump.

Now there's many factors at play here but one of the primary factors was party politics, states by and large voted along party lines with Trump winning many of the swing states that were up for grabs.

Anyway no country is above party politics, don't forget that we shamefully elected Bob the Builder Ahern as Taoiseach a staggering 3 times in a row!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

You see...I'd agree with that....if you also included Obama/Clinton and Bush supporters also....just because people have a degree doesn't make them smart...in fact, people who live closer to the poverty line are often smarter because they have to be...the don't have the safety nets others enjoy.

What has become very obvious to me over the last few years, is the complete snobbery middle class people are riddled with...the complete disdain they have for people from poorer area's has been an eye opener.

Billy Connolly does a great sketch about the middle classes and how they're full of ****, I know a few and they're full of **** all validating each other.

The Volvo crowd he calls them.

He hit the nail on the head when he said the working classes such as guys doing ordinary jobs like farm labourers and factory workers and the super toffs like the tally ho ole chap s all get along with each other.
    The old money type's treat their workers with the up most respect, and they're like part of the family, especially workers in country estates.

As for the middle classes they're always trying to be like the old money type's, and look down on the farm laborer and factory workers...
    It's ironic really...

Because the upper classes laugh at the middle classes thinking they're a shower of knobs, working like animals and never quite making it,forever in debt, addiction problems and a high rate of divorce.

I actually love the upper classes and working class working people, they're more grounded and great fun to be around.

Middle classes are as boring as fck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Slanty wrote: »
    Bit harsh.
    He is the conversation that you and your mates have. The one that you bounce idea back and forth but it’s him who comes out and says it.

He talks a load of ****e but when he speaks you believe him. He doesn’t sugar coat it. What you see is what you get.

LOL.

Wouldnt like to be living in your world. Using Trump as a barometer of truth.

Not all Trump voters are racist bigots, but all racist bigots are Trump voters imo.

The man lies, he lies about everything, his ego is so fragile that he can't be challenged without just shouting 'Fake'. He is using the scattergun approach to dissipate the blame that so roundly belongs on his own shoulders, and wanted emergency checks delayed so he can have his signature printed on them. Not just his name, his signature. He's a malignant narcissist who will put profit before human life every time because he doesn't identify with the people who vote for him, he uses them. He has nothing but contempt for them. If he ever thinks about them at all, it's as a means to an end and fodder for his ego.

1eLz7Eb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's nothing like a good old Trump bashing at the weekend to get the blood flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

It really doesn't matter what anybody thinks about Trump ( I like Orange man ). Everybody is wrong and his right, forget all the contradictions and the bolloxology, because he just contradict his contradictions. Unfortunately for the world. I blame the moronic american citizens who voted him in. Lest no forget people this fu©ker is also sitting on a nuclear arsenal. He is that spoilt little brat. Gimme what I want or I'll press some buttons

Candie wrote: »
    Not all Trump voters are racist bigots, but all racist bigots are Trump voters imo.

The man lies, he lies about everything, his ego is so fragile that he can't be challenged without just shouting 'Fake'. He is using the scattergun approach to dissipate the blame that so roundly belongs on his own shoulders, and wanted emergency checks delayed so he can have his signature printed on them. Not just his name, his signature. He's a malignant narcissist who will put profit before human life every time because he doesn't identify with the people who vote for him, he uses them. He has nothing but contempt for them. If he ever thinks about them at all, it's as a means to an end and fodder for his ego.

1eLz7Eb.jpg

Haha in fairness that 'quote' of Trump is absolute bóllóx.

Now Trump probably does think that way (I suspect many politicians think do), but it's a good example of fake news.

biko wrote: »
    There's nothing like a good old Trump bashing at the weekend to get the blood flowing.

I think it's hilarious people getting all wound up by Trump, they're actually part of the cogs that empower him.

The best way to power a narcissistic person is to show them your distain and in the narcissistic personality they'll think the people who hate them are knobs anyhow, so the narcissist just looks at the hater's as fillers in society...

So the hater's are really shooting themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Now Trump probably does think that way (I suspect many politicians think do), but it's a good example of fake news.

Is fake news to a particular person, news that a particular does not want to believe in. Basically like living in denial or this sh¡t ain't happening if I don't hear it or don't believe in it.

I know it's fake, it's quoted because it's an accurate reflection of how he sees his voters. He has pulled off an amazing feat, he's convinced some of the poorest and least educated people in the US that he, a billionaire, is all about their interests. And they believe him, the billionaire.

Kylta wrote: »
    Is fake news to a particular person, news that a particular does not want to believe in. Basically like living in denial or this sh¡t ain't happening if I don't hear it or don't believe in it.

Well ye it's obviously fake news because he didn't say those words to people magazine and they didn't print that story.

I know it's fake, it's quoted because it's an accurate reflection of how he sees his voters.

And you wonder why people vote for Trump in droves...

• Advertisement

I know it's fake, it's quoted because it's an accurate reflection of how he sees his voters.

But it is fake news, you can't quote somebody on something they never said and then basically say, 'oh ok he didn't say that but that's what he would say'.
    He has pulled off an amazing feat, he's convinced some of the poorest and least educated people in the US that he, a billionaire, is all about their interests. And they believe him, the billionaire.

Look I have no horse in this race and even if I was American I would not have voted for Trump nor Clinton for that matter but a poltician lying to poor people to get votes is not exactly rare!

Granted Trump's lies were very overt and over the top to the point of being entertaining at times. But again lies at election time are basically common practise, and probably the world over sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Slanty wrote: »
    We can all sit here and give out about him but at least he has the balls to come out and call it what it is.

Trump says what everyone is thinking. Maybe not in the most political way or best worded. However he has a point.

China should pay for this but the only person who is willing accept this is him.

What's the big deal? China has lied about the numbers of people infected and died with coronavirus. And what? Who expects China to be honest about these things? Is it the WHO's job to call them out or is it their job to work with nations to help with the health crisis?

I presumed it's just their job to be pragmatic and help solve he crisis.

It's just a distraction that Trump is using to take attention form his own performance. It doesn't matter whether it's the governors or the Democrats or the Chinese or the WHO. It's just important that there's someone to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone with a bit nuance & charisma would wipe the floor with Trump......but Joe Biden ??

i mean ffs what are the Democrats thinking putting him forward as a candidate:rolleyes: a 77 year old Plank, he has personality of a wardrobe

..its going to be another 4 years of Trump i think

fryup wrote: »
    anyone with a bit nuance & charisma would wipe the floor with Trump......but Joe Biden :rolleyes:

i mean ffs what are the Democrats thinking putting him forward as a candidate ?? a 77 year old Plank, he has personality of a wardrobe

Most likely they want Trump elected again so he can do even more damage to the Republican party.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

Trump of course was/is a total idiot that would sell ice to an Eskimo. This behavior about the virus and the blame game he is openly going about doing is now becoming an absolute embarrassment to the States though.

Does he really care for the average American who has contracted this disease or is he just wanting the States back to work to keep his puppet-masters happy making money again?

Whatever you think I'm very sure that you could agree that these press conferences are solely being used as a platform to get him a second term in the Oval office - which for me says it all about the guy, he is only worried about himself and how he looks to the American public.

The real truth is that his country is in serious trouble of this becoming a 6 figure death-toll that he has selfishly mismanaged.

Blood is on his hands imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Im not sure you know the meaning of the word "truth" OP.
    truth
    [truːθ]

NOUN

(the truth)
    that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭FreshCoffee

1eLz7Eb.jpg

Sadly there is as much anti-Trump fake news as there is pro-Trump fake news. This was well debunked but still circulates and is usually presented as if true unless challenged.

From Snopes 2015: www.snopes.com/fact-check/1998-trump-people-quote/

"Despite People‘s comprehensive online content archive, we found no interview or profile on Donald Trump in 1998 (or any other time) that quoted his saying anything that even vaguely resembled the words in this meme."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭weisses

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    oh id say hes gonna be reelected alright, poor americans

Why ??? If They gonna re elect that sad excuse for a human being they deserve all that they are getting

in fairness take Trump out of the equation for a second.

Anything I have at home that's made in America before they shipped a lot of their factories to China, is top quantity.

Especially my Penn fishing reels, there's a huge difference in the same so called upgraded version made in the far East

And the components are way better, there's a reel called the Penn 525 mag original my first one is 19 year's old and it's outlived it's far east predessors... still smooth and flawless.

Order a t-shirt from America you'll get top dollar for your buck...

If Trump could persuade the the factories to come back and bring back car manufacturers too and open up the steel industries etc

Principles before personalities ain't always easy....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

fryup wrote: »
    anyone with a bit nuance & charisma would wipe the floor with Trump......but Joe Biden ??

i mean ffs what are the Democrats thinking putting him forward as a candidate:rolleyes: a 77 year old Plank, he has personality of a wardrobe

..its going to be another 4 years of Trump i think

Joe Biden is a normal presidential candidate. Trump is just an extraordinary campaigner. He’s an entertainer which is a massive boost to getting elected.

Trump can control the narrative and the entire news cycle with the outrageous things he says. His voters don't mind but the Democrats wouldn't vote for Biden if he said equally outrageous things. So its an uneven playing field.

Advertisement