Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As a person, Simon Harris

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Coveney is great, I like him. But I don't think he has the pliable qualities a successful leadership demands. Harris has more fight. That counts in any battle. Harris is younger and shrewder, he has more tenacity.

Harris might not be good at schmoozing French diplomats in Paris during Bastille week, that is Coveney's game. I could see Coveney nailing a bottle of 1994 Bordeaux and holding a conversation, Harris would be under the table the poor Divil…. but Harris knows how to get votes and influence party members. Leo knows this, that is why he likes leaning on him, it keeps Harris down. Leo fears him most.

This sounds like a plot from some US drama. Leo is Taoiseach. Quite possibly will be for a second term. He has climbed as high as he can go in Irish politics and I would bet will not be involved in them by the time he is 50. He has nothing to fear from Simon Harris, or indeed Coveney I would imagine.

Is it completely beyond the realms of possibility that some of these people are trying to do the best job they can for the country?
    It says a lot about the people who seem to presume that such a thing could never happen. It shows how they would be focused should they find themselves in such a role.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

RobertKK wrote: »
    He caused a general election due to his incompetence and then an election result which took the focus away from the virus, made excuses to keep flights coming from European virus hotspots saying we are in the EU and couldn't stop flights, despite others doing it.
    Got a rugby match with Italy cancelled but allowed in thousands of Italians to infect Dublin.
    No advice on Cheltenham.
    When nursing home visits were stopped by the nursing home body, the department of health which he is head of said it was not their advice.
    He should have been replaced a long time ago, he played a blinder in the early days to spread the virus.
    Two areas where he failed are where the virus is hitting the most, Dublin where he allowed thousands of Italians to travel to with no screening or quarantine, and in nursing homes. It has cost a lot of lives.
    But a lot of people thinks he is playing a blinder.

Mister f*cking perfect here...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

This sounds like a plot from some US drama. Leo is Taoiseach. Quite possibly will be for a second term. He has climbed as high as he can go in Irish politics and I would bet will not be involved in them by the time he is 50. He has nothing to fear from Simon Harris, or indeed Coveney I would imagine.

US political dramas are rarely far from the truth, try watching the West Wing, it is basically a fabrication of real world events.

Leo wants out, big Phil would need to be watching his back. I love Leo, I think he is great, but he will need to get cracking if he wants to get FG more votes, they are a leaky ship.

US political dramas are rarely far from the truth, try watching the West Wing, it is basically a fabrication of real world events.

Leo wants out, big Phil would need to be watching his back. I love Leo, I think he is great, but he will need to get cracking if he wants to get FG more votes, they are a leaky ship.

How so is Simon a threat to Leo if he already wants out?

You might want to get the script writers to keep continuity of story line in mind here.

How so is Simon a threat to Leo if he already wants out?

You might want to get the script writers to keep continuity of story line in mind here.

Oh..... sorry, I had forgotten about your enthusiasm for conversation. I must try harder in future.

• Advertisement

Oh..... sorry, I had forgotten about your enthusiasm for conversation. I must try harder in future.

Hey, many are happy to throw out statements which they cannot or will not back up.
    You are not alone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He hasn't got the charisma or the political nuance, too blunt. Far too used to getting his own way to genuinely understand how to fight for something, no bite. He has been given his entire political career on a plate, too easy.

McEntee would probably stand a better chance of defeating Harris, she is the right sex for victory. Whoever is the next female politician to polarise Mary Lou wins. All the women love her, regardless of her politics she is the everywoman of Ireland, a vote winning machine.

That is why Fianna Fáil are doomed, they ain't got the women onside.

If you think Harris isn't a fighter you are badly mistaken.

As for FG. They are not overly dripping with women TDs/Senators either; They lost Catherine Byrne, Kate O'Connell, Regina Doherty, Marcella Corcoran Kennedy, Catherine Noone, Maria Bailey, Mary Mitchell O'Connor, Michelle Mulherin. Their entire current Senate members are male.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

As for FG. They are not overly dripping with women TDs/Senators either; They lost Catherine Byrne, Kate O'Connell, Regina Doherty, Marcella Corcoran Kennedy, Catherine Noone, Maria Bailey, Mary Mitchell O'Connor, Michelle Mulherin. Their entire current Senate members are male.

You didn't read all my posts , lazy bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

RobertKK wrote: »

Indeed. I see a Tribunal coming out of all this yet. "Sounds of hands rubbing coming from the Law Library"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Coveney is great, I like him. But I don't think he has the pliable qualities a successful leadership demands. Harris has more fight. That counts in any battle. Harris is younger and shrewder, he has more tenacity.

Harris might not be good at schmoozing French diplomats in Paris during Bastille week, that is Coveney's game. I could see Coveney nailing a bottle of 1994 Bordeaux and holding a conversation, Harris would be under the table the poor Divil…. but Harris knows how to get votes and influence party members. Leo knows this, that is why he likes leaning on him, it keeps Harris down. Leo fears him most.

Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

Some absolutely repulsive women there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Some absolutely repulsive women there.
    They'd still be worth a jaunt. Posh totty is hard to refuse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

A year ago was taking to a man who went to school with him, he did not have a good opinion on him.
    Also remember he was a FF Dick Roach lackey before he jumped on the FG wagon, i dont trust him he is a career politician , the worst kind with ZERO real world experience

da_miser wrote: »
    A year ago was taking to a man who went to school with him, he did not have a good opinion on him.
    Also remember he was a FF Dick Roach lackey before he jumped on the FG wagon, i dont trust him he is a career politician , the worst kind with ZERO real world experience

Well, this has made me change my mind anyway.
    There's no evidence like the anecdotal evidence of a conversation from a year ago with someone who knew someone else 15 years previously.

As for real world experience? Enda Kenny was slated for being 'just a teacher', Leo apparently was a failed Dr according to someone else on one of these threads. I remember people saying Michael McCDowell thought he knew it all when he was a Barrister trying to enforce change in the justice system as Minister for Justice.

Would love to know just exactly what an acceptable career path to a senior ministry should be according to some here.

Well, this has made me change my mind anyway.
    There's no evidence like the anecdotal evidence of a conversation from a year ago with someone who knew someone else 15 years previously.

As for real world experience? Enda Kenny was slated for being 'just a teacher', Leo apparently was a failed Dr according to someone else on one of these threads. I remember people saying Michael McCDowell thought he knew it all when he was a Barrister trying to enforce change in the justice system as Minister for Justice.

Would love to know just exactly what an acceptable career path to a senior ministry should be according to some here.
    Ok forget about that part.
    Fact is he has ZERO real world experience, has he been out of work, has he interviews for a job, has he been let go from a job, has he struggled to make ends meet, so on and so forth..
    Straight out of school and into politics does not make a good politician

Fact is he has ZERO real world experience, has he been out of work, has he interviews for a job, has he been let go from a job, has he struggled to make ends meet, so on and so forth..

No, all he has, is assistant to a Minister, local Councillor, Minister for State and the holder of one of the top 3 Ministry positions in Government for 4 years.

Sure, that's no sort of experience compared to having worked in a low or mid-level office or industrial role for a few years and then having lost his job and struggled to get interviews for a new one. Can definitely see how that would be better preparation for the role of Minister for Health.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Neither does years bullshiiting and finally getting elected, Give me the former

No, all he has, is assistant to a Minister, local Councillor, Minister for State and the holder of one of the top 3 Ministry positions in Government for 4 years.

Sure, that's no sort of experience compared to having worked in a low or mid-level office or industrial role for a few years and then having lost his job and struggled to get interviews for a new one. Can definitely see how that would be better preparation for the role of Minister for Health.

So basically he has always had money coming in.
    As we all know money worries are the number one stress related problem for everyone, this man has never struggled, never had too worry how he will make the rent, pay the bills and put food on the table, so impossible for him to relate to the struggles of 99% of the population, yeah thats the kind of politician i want making decisions that will effect 100% of the population.
    A man who has zero ability to empathise with what the population is struggling through as he himself has zero real life experience to compare to the masses

• Advertisement

He took advantage of a system that is broken, so kudos to him.
    I would make it like the job like the president, a age restriction before you can run for office, maybe 35 before you can run, get out there and see the real world, struggle like the majority, learn the value of money and how hard it is to come by and then enter politics once you know what the real world is actually like.

So basically he has always had money coming in.
    As we all know money worries are the number one stress related problem for everyone, this man has never struggled, never had too worry how he will make the rent, pay the bills and put food on the table, so impossible for him to relate to the struggles of 99% of the population, yeah thats the kind of politician i want making decisions that will effect 100% of the population.
    A man who has zero ability to empathise with what the population is struggling through as he himself has zero real life experience to compare to the masses

He is a 33 year old man who suffers from Crohns disease, whose wife is a nurse meaning that for these 2 reasons he is likely acutely aware of the need for a quality health care system.
    He had his family, including their new baby, deal with protesters gathering outside his house. You still think he is someone who never has had to worry?

He has communicated very strong empathy throughout this, with almost daily updates on his Twitter account each evening and going so far as answering questions directly to children on the RTE Now channel in a manner which was very empathetic to the probable concerns which children have throughout this.

But, you want someone who has struggled, in a manner in which you can relate to because you think that that is the only thing that is important? I think that is a very narrow minded view, if not outright selfish.

He is a 33 year old man who suffers from Crohns disease, whose wife is a nurse meaning that for these 2 reasons he is likely acutely aware of the need for a quality health care system.
    He had his family, including their new baby, deal with protesters gathering outside his house. You still think he is someone who never has had to worry?

He has communicated very strong empathy throughout this, with almost daily updates on his Twitter account each evening and going so far as answering questions directly to children on the RTE Now channel in a manner which was very empathetic to the probable concerns which children have throughout this.

But, you want someone who has struggled, in a manner in which you can relate to because you think that that is the only thing that is important? I think that is a very narrow minded view, if not outright selfish.

Serious question are you simon or a relation?

Serious question are you simon or a relation?

I am yeah. We had a family meeting and felt it was important counter the 5-10 anonymous accounts on an internet forum who just throw out judgments and so I was given the job.

Just to clarify, the above is not true, I am simply burdened with the belief that subjective views on a discussion forum can be challenged using real world facts. You are just the latest to have a problem with that.

What am I supposed to counter your question with? Are you a SF or PBP candidate who is jealous that FG are getting something right?

I am yeah. We had a family meeting and felt it was important counter the 5-10 anonymous accounts on an internet forum who just throw out judgments and so I was given the job.

Just to clarify, the above is not true, I am simply burdened with the belief that subjective views on a discussion forum can be challenged using real world facts. You are just the latest to have a problem with that.

What am I supposed to counter your question with? Are you a SF or PBP candidate who is jealous that FG are getting something right?

Im correct and you are wrong, we shall have proof positive very soon when a new government is formed, Harris will not be minister for health, he wont be a minister for anything, he will be vanquished to the back bench to fade into history.
    Yourself and other cheerleaders will be feeling foolish.

Im correct and you are wrong, we shall have proof positive very soon when a new government is formed, Harris will not be minister for health, he wont be a minister for anything, he will be vanquished to the back bench to fade into history.
    Yourself and other cheerleaders will be feeling foolish.

LOL :D:D:D

LOL :D:D:D

You have a few week to prepare yourself for the fact im correct and you are wrong.
    Its OK, even i have been wrong, and you are wrong about Harris, accept it and learn.
    I hold no grudges.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Vicky Phelan did a thread where she is critical of the Covid 19 response and the lack of accountability and transparency.

https://twitter.com/phelanvicky/status/1254119675589509122?s=21

Advertisement