Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As a person, Simon Harris

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Simon is a proven liar . He wanted to fine nurses for taking to the picket lines a couple of months ago , and now grovels and praises them . He STILL refuses to address their pay issues , payment that was promised to them approx 1 year ago . He was "As mad as hell" over the Cervical Cancer scandal , but still encourages the HSE to fight any claims they bring . He has done NOTHING about the abuse heaped on those that have been tortured by resistance of HSE on the Swine Flu debacle . Please Please tell us ONE good thing that he has done during his tenure . JUST ONE ???

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

What do you want me to say about nursing homes?
    Absolutely they look like they are a problem, but, this seems to have been the case in other countries also. And as others have said, there was no clamour on here or elsewhere at the outset that they should be prioritised.

You call every explanation an excuse. They are not the same things. Like your comment on flu numbers last year. Iirc, they didn't 'blame' people for getting the flu, they explained that more had gotten the flu earlier than was the previous pattern.

As for not giving a name of a politician who would do a better job than those who have held the role. I'm not surprised, because you will not find any politician who can hold the role of Minister for Health and not have some figures that can be thrown at them. It's an eternal and emotive topic. Still, it is very weak to complain so much about one person doing the role and not be able to nominate an alternative.

I have to take it you believe everything you are told by politicians.

Not all countries had issues in their nursing homes. Some just want to compare to other countries who also failed in this area as if that makes it alright.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/health-minister-simon-harris-admits-9571618
    He told Midlands Radio: “Our hospitals are going through an extraordinarily challenging period of time at the present.

“I really am sorry for Irish patients and indeed for the staff working in our hospitals experiencing the conditions they are having to put up with at the moment.

“It isn’t acceptable, the health service must do better, and I want to see absolutely everything done to try and improve this situation.

“This situation is not helped by the significant outbreak of flu and the particular strain of flu that has seen it impacting particularly on older people.”

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail, not the fault of flu victims that the situation was not helped...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

mountai wrote: »
    Simon is a proven liar . He wanted to fine nurses for taking to the picket lines a couple of months ago , and now grovels and praises them . He STILL refuses to address their pay issues , payment that was promised to them approx 1 year ago . He was "As mad as hell" over the Cervical Cancer scandal , but still encourages the HSE to fight any claims they bring . He has done NOTHING about the abuse heaped on those that have been tortured by resistance of HSE on the Swine Flu debacle . Please Please tell us ONE good thing that he has done during his tenure . JUST ONE ???

Do you know how politics works? Do you think that each minister of health can walk in to a role and act completely independently of the rest of government and of the management and union structure of the department they lead?

I pointed out previously the inability for otherwise successful/competent politicians to enact positive change in the Dept of Health.

As for nurses wages etc, that is a massive topic, how do you explain that the Dept of Health budget has increased by over 100% in the last 15 years or so and yet we still find every dept or sector saying that they need more money. Harris is married to a nurse, I think if it was a simple thing of just handing over money that would solve all problems then it would have happened already. Do you recommend that all groups should go outside of an agreed pay deal and call for pay increases ad hoc? Or that a government should humor that?

What good has he done?
    He was very clear on the support for the repeal movement.
    He has been a measured communicator during this period,
    He signed a deal with private healthcare providers to bring their facilities in to the control of the state.
    He made it easier for prescriptions to be issued.

People are simultaneously complaining about him hiding behind experts and saying that he has no expertise himself. If he was making ad hoc decisions, he'd be lambasted for not being qualified to do so. Complaining is easy, that's why so many do so much of it.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I have to take it you believe everything you are told by politicians.

Not all countries had issues in their nursing homes. Some just want to compare to other countries who also failed in this area as if that makes it alright.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/health-minister-simon-harris-admits-9571618

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail, not the fault of flu victims that the situation was not helped...

Not at all. I'm just not taking the easy option from the sidelines of saying they should have been focused on something else. While not being able to identify someone who would have done a better job.

Do you know how politics works? Do you think that each minister of health can walk in to a role and act completely independently of the rest of government and of the management and union structure of the department they lead?

I pointed out previously the inability for otherwise successful/competent politicians to enact positive change in the Dept of Health.

As for nurses wages etc, that is a massive topic, how do you explain that the Dept of Health budget has increased by over 100% in the last 15 years or so and yet we still find every dept or sector saying that they need more money. Harris is married to a nurse, I think if it was a simple thing of just handing over money that would solve all problems then it would have happened already. Do you recommend that all groups should go outside of an agreed pay deal and call for pay increases ad hoc? Or that a government should humor that?

What good has he done?
    He was very clear on the support for the repeal movement.
    He has been a measured communicator during this period,
    He signed a deal with private healthcare providers to bring their facilities in to the control of the state.
    He made it easier for prescriptions to be issued.

People are simultaneously complaining about him hiding behind experts and saying that he has no expertise himself. If he was making ad hoc decisions, he'd be lambasted for not being qualified to do so. Complaining is easy, that's why so many do so much of it.

Pay agreement IS within guidelines . He says he wants to repeal , what has he done about it ? . Granted , he IS a good communicator . He tried to foist a contract on the private consultants that NOT ONE of them has signed . HSE agreed to pay three times the price , that the NHS in UK agreed with the private hospitals ( Some deal that is ) . How is it easier for prescriptions to be issued ??. As I stated , he is a proven liar , please deal with THAT point .

• Advertisement

Pay agreement IS within guidelines . He says he wants to repeal , what has he done about it ? . Granted , he IS a good communicator . He tried to foist a contract on the private consultants that NOT ONE of them has signed . HSE agreed to pay three times the price , that the NHS in UK agreed with the private hospitals ( Some deal that is ) . How is it easier for prescriptions to be issued ??. As I stated , he is a proven liar , please deal with THAT point .

That is your opinion based on subjective analysis of what is going on. Don't see how any of the points you made even in this single post is 'proven' evidence that he is a liar.

Robert didn't want to suggest an alternative for the role who would do a better job, do you want to name someone, or is going to be just saying that the current person in the role is terrible.

In the word of the GREAT LEADER BERTIE,

You are a WAFFLER.

GOOD NIGHT.

In the word of the GREAT LEADER BERTIE,

You are a WAFFLER.

GOOD NIGHT.

Cool.
    As expected, all complaints, no solutions. Sleep well.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,687 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He's aged about 20 years in the last 3 or 4.

Aged more since Covid19 and now grey :P

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

In fairness he is doing a good job. I did not vote FG at the election but am now glad FG are steering the country during this awful pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

How the fcuk do luas drivers thieve the living they do v nurses and god knows how many other jobs? Its outrageous!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Idbatterim wrote: »
    How the fcuk do luas rivers thieves the living they do v nurses and god knows how many other jobs? Its outrageous!

Needs more exclamation marks to be an Idbatterim ‘what in the name of Jaysus is he on about’ classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Idbatterim wrote: »
    How the fcuk do luas rivers thieves the living they do v nurses and god knows how many other jobs? Its outrageous!

Ah look its our resident vote a different political party every week shinner!

Rants off about social welfare then tells us to vote SF!!

Scooby doo is more confused.

addaword wrote: »
    In fairness he is doing a good job. I did not vote FG at the election but am now glad FG are steering the country during this awful pandemic.

Yes good job...

EWFNG9cUcAEnG1l?format=png&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Fg are avid supporters of the welfare state, hence they couldnt / didn't reward workers. They also support rip off housing , which is problematic for me , it's not that hard to understand...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yes good job...

Don't these stats depend on the level of testing in each country?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Jerry Adams received his education behind the barricades, in the interrogation rooms of the RUC, and in Long Kesh. It eminently qualified him to be able to negotiate with his sworn enemies and the leaders of three countries, to bring about a peaceful solution in NI after years of slaughter. To even mention him on the same page as Simon - - - - - PLEASE!!!!.

Ahh ok I understand now haha. Another disgruntled SF supporter. Must be very frustrating alright :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So you think they've done a terrible job of managing coronavirus then?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gotta love his consistency tbf. Any amusement is welcome these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Yes good job...

This has been explained to you numerous times.

The UK Spain Italy America etc all count deaths differently than Ireland.

We count every person who dies anywhere who had covid 19.

Those countries exclude a lot of the deaths of they don't occur in hospitals etc.

Stop trying to use covid 19 to score political points without all the facts.

• Advertisement

This has been explained to you numerous times.

The UK Spain Italy America etc all count deaths differently than Ireland.

We count every person who dies anywhere who had covid 19.

Those countries exclude a lot of the deaths of they don't occur in hospitals etc.

Stop trying to use covid 19 to score political points without all the facts.

So even when we are doing worse than countries that do count nursing home deaths for example we must still use the above excuse.

This government pulls the wool over the eyes of so many people.
    Look at the Bulgarian workers, we need them, the govenrment told the EU we need them, Leo Varadkar himself told the EU we need them.
    Then when the hullabaloo blew up over them and the CMO was not going to take responsibility for a decision he hasn’t made, Leo Varadkar then expressed his concern and ordered a review.
    People are so stupid and would think the government are being proactive, they are just populists spinning and spinning...

https://twitter.com/tconnellyrte/status/1252535232261218304?s=21

It is the same crap with Harris in health and I worry for the people who believe all the spin.

It is the same crap with Harris in health and I worry for the people who believe all the spin.

I worry about the experts on Boards who know everything that's being done wrong apart from the name of someone who would do a better job.

Theres always going to be room for improvements, hence always the opportunity to say the incumbent is terrible at their job.

Mary Harney said years ago, 'the worst day in government, is better than the best day in opposition'. Some have a different opinion, they can go full steam ahead with the whataboutery, without ever putting their own neck on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I worry about the experts on Boards who know everything that's being done wrong apart from the name of someone who would do a better job.

Theres always going to be room for improvements, hence always the opportunity to say the incumbent is terrible at their job.

Mary Harney said years ago, 'the worst day in government, is better than the best day in opposition'. Some have a different opinion, they can go full steam ahead with the whataboutery, without ever putting their own neck on the line.

In Simon Harris's case it's not just experts on boards however. A govt collapsed because of a failure to have confidence in him.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    In Simon Harris's case it's not just experts on boards however. A govt collapsed because of a failure to have confidence in him.

As outlined yesterday, that is not necessarily the case, it only is if you ignore everything else that was going on that pointed to a general election being called in 2020 since autumn 2019.

Two others complaining here about Harris, have failed to offer the name of an alternative who do a better job as Minister for Health, do you want to give us one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Well considering a govt can't be formed I may as well pull Jackie Healy Rae's name outta my ass. We're stuck with him, do I have confidence in him now when Dail Eireann hadn't 2 months ago, 'No'.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Well considering a govt can't be formed I may as well pull Jackie Healy Rae's name outta my ass. We're stuck with him, do I have confidence in him now when Dail Eireann hadn't 2 months ago, 'No'.

Strike 3.

Bluffers!

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1252596041955885061?s=20

But...but...but...Ireland includes all deaths and others don't...that is the excuse we hear from the cheerleaders who don't want to believe we are doing badly compared to some other countries of similar size to us.
    Looks like Ireland will have to revise up it's death toll because the figures have been under reported.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1252596041955885061?s=20

But...but...but...Ireland includes all deaths and others don't...that is the excuse we hear from the cheerleaders who don't want to believe we are doing badly compared to some other countries of similar size to us.
    Looks like Ireland will have to revise up it's death toll because the figures have been under reported.

Speaking for myself, I am no cheerleader, I am aware of the complexity of the situation and the task in determining root cause, confirming it and reporting the outcome once that has been done. The consultant on the AMA already said last week it is likely that we are under-reporting covid deaths by 10-15%. But, by comparison, he feels the UK could be doing so by 20% and the US by 50%.

You are all noise, no answers however.

https://www.joe.ie/news/simon-harris-claims-18-other-coronaviruses-major-radio-error-696767
    "But remember this is coronavirus, Covid-19. That means there have been 18 other coronaviruses and I don’t think they have actually successfully found a vaccine for any… For now, I think you would have to presume that a vaccine is about another year away."

Simon Harris it seems claimed there were 18 other coronaviruses.
    This is our health minister, I guess his advisers didn't tell him it was named after the year 2019, Co for corona, the V for virus with ID 19.
    It's proper name is severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)

One would think our health minister would not be doing the Kellyanne Conway mistake.

People ask here to name someone who would do better job, maybe someone who knows the basics, without needing an adviser...

https://twitter.com/JOEdotie/status/1252987486583885827?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Absolutely grotesque excuse for a human being.

Advertisement