Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As a person, Simon Harris

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If the minister for health from any other country made a monumental blunder like that you would be joining in with the rest of us calling him out for the absolute fraud that he is. Your loyalties to your party have clouded your judgement if you see no wrong. Incompetence of the highest order. I'd say he's done irreparable damage to his political career. I also think he should be replaced immediately.

For the 3rd time for those at the back who struggle to pay attention.

I. have. never. voted. for. a. FG. candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We get it.

He's awful.

What do you want him to do next?

The new Taoiseach when elected to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The whole debacle is like a scene from Father Ted with simple Simon playing Doughal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The whole debacle is like a scene from Father Ted with simple Simon playing Doughal

Simple Simon?

Noticing these little bully boy digs I remember from childhood.

People calling kids simple in the playground who had special needs, and everyone laughed at them.

You as an adult have kept it up.

SF do have history of bullying though.

Calling people simple.

Grow up and cop on.

Christ but you don't half enjoy the over reaction and hyperbole.

• Advertisement

Simple Simon?

People calling kids simple in the playground who had special needs, and everyone laughed at them.

Calling people simple.

Grow up and cop on.
    Don't be so dramatic. Does Simon have special needs? Am I bullying anyone with special needs? Why mention SF? No one mentioned them? Grow up lol, gas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Don't be so dramatic. Does Simon have special needs?.

It's a fair question to ask about a 33 year old man who says "I made a boo-boo."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Simple Simon?

Calling people simple.

Grow up and cop on.

Says the above who was calling people 'gullible morons' in another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't know any of these politicians as a person. How should i know what they are like?

I am not passing personal judgement. I am just stating what i think of their performance collectively in govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

RobertKK wrote: »
    But we aren't all the minister for health...

And so he must be infallible?

Name me one politician who hasn’t made mistake in office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I can reply whatever way I like once it is not breaking any of the rules.

It is not like your own reply offers anything, at least I had content.

I didnt suggest you cant reply.

I answered your question in detail above by the way.

Honestly I genuinely dont think this was a major mistake at all and he admitted it snd acknowledged it straightaway. I mean its not like Trumps bleach injections. On the whole if you examine Simon Harriss discourse and contributions on everything to do with with Covid 19 he is 99.99% of the time very well informed and knowledgeable. In that context I think hopping up and down about his minor mistake is silly nonsense. Perhaps as per my post above he doesnt have any qualificiations but I'm not particularly a fan of this elitist view of politics anyway. With elitism like that one of the most amazing Health systems/services the UK NHS would never have been envisaged/delivered. Nye Bevan left school at 13.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

I really like him and think he's doing a great job. I didn't have much time for him prior to this but he has grown on me over the past two months.

He's our caretaker Health Minister dealing with possibly the greatest challenge the health service/country has ever had to deal with. As someone who works in the health service myself the changes that have been made to the services to deal with this in a very short space of time are astounding. Im sure some mistakes have been made but these are unchartered waters and it's nothing short of a guessing game the world over.

I've started to follow him on Twitter/insta, the man Is working flat out. He gives almost daily updates sometimes from his office but also from his home. His updates always seem very sincere. He is also very thankful to people who send thank you letters to him and often shows cards/artwork kids have sent to him which is nice to see. He appears genuinely thankful for the kindness people are showing.

He's also managing home life similar to many of us - a wife working in the health service and a young baby. Fair play to him I say.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Says the above who was calling people 'gullible morons' in another thread.

Oh the hypocrisy

I didnt suggest you cant reply.

I answered your question in detail above by the way.

Honestly I genuinely dont think this was a major mistake at all and he admitted it snd acknowledged it straightaway. I mean its not like Trumps bleach injections. On the whole if you examine Simon Harriss discourse and contributions on everything to do with with Covid 19 he is 99.99% of the time very well informed and knowledgeable. In that context I think hopping up and down about his minor mistake is silly nonsense. Perhaps as per my post above he doesnt have any qualificiations but I'm not particularly a fan of this elitist view of politics anyway. With elitism like that one of the most amazing Health systems/services the UK NHS would never have been envisaged/delivered. Nye Bevan left school at 13.

He had to admit it straight away, he had no other option.

His advisers would have told him, and then told him how he was in the company of Kellyanne Conway who made a similar remark and was ridiculed and the funny thing is some of the Irish people who ridiculed her came out with excuses for Simon Harris.
    But then Kellyanne Conway thankfully has no involvement in health.

Scruff101 wrote: »
    I really like him and think he's doing a great job. I didn't have much time for him prior to this but he has grown on me over the past two months.

He's our caretaker Health Minister dealing with possibly the greatest challenge the health service/country has ever had to deal with. As someone who works in the health service myself the changes that have been made to the services to deal with this in a very short space of time are astounding. Im sure some mistakes have been made but these are unchartered waters and it's nothing short of a guessing game the world over.

I've started to follow him on Twitter/insta, the man Is working flat out. He gives almost daily updates sometimes from his office but also from his home. His updates always seem very sincere. He is also very thankful to people who send thank you letters to him and often shows cards/artwork kids have sent to him which is nice to see. He appears genuinely thankful for the kindness people are showing.

He's also managing home life similar to many of us - a wife working in the health service and a young baby. Fair play to him I say.

He did a great not in not replying to the nursing home body who wrote to him twice and where he never responded.
    It was only when in crisis and over half of deaths happening in nursing homes that he did anything, but that is doing a great job to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He had to admit it straight away, he had no other option.

His advisers would have told him, and then told him how he was in the company of Kellyanne Conway who made a similar remark and was ridiculed and the funny thing is some of the Irish people who ridiculed her came out with excuses for Simon Harris.
    But then Kellyanne Conway thankfully has no involvement in health.

To be fair Kellyanne Conway and Simon Harris are not comparable. She has made a number of dubious claims or gaffes.

Overall I think Harris is very knowledgeable of his brief in relation to Corona and honestly it seems like this minor mistake is blown out of proportion by some.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

He did a great not in not replying to the nursing home body who wrote to him twice and where he never responded.
    It was only when in crisis and over half of deaths happening in nursing homes that he did anything, but that is doing a great job to some people.

And no matter what he, or anyone else does, some people will just b*tch and moan. It's all they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

I didn't say mistakes haven't been made but they've been made the world over.

On the whole he's done a great job. I'm sure in hindsight he'd have done something about nursing homes much faster but isn't hindsight a great thing.

If not responding to correspondence twice is the only thing he's done wrong in this sh*storm then he's definitely done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Cannot believe some of the things that are being said

This is a virus that has no cure. People are dying in their thousands . We are a small country and I for one am proud of the way this has been handled.

Are Harris, Holohan perfect. No
    Are they doing their best Most definately
    Are they talking to the press every day yes

Give them a break FFS .
    I would not have been a fan of Simon Harris but the man has stepped up and is doing all he can.

I for one am glad that he is there along with leo and tony holohan

I also shudder at how close we came to having Mary lou handling all this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

If you like Simon Harris he is done a really good job and is credit to himself. Fair play to him.If you do not like him he is a degenerate imbecile that has basically murdered hundreds of Irish people due to his mishandling of the Covid crisis. Choose a side please , indifference does not get a vote.

Like him or hate him he has the perfect formula for a successful career in politics in the 3rd millennium. He is able to divide and polarise opinion, an essential trait in modern politics.

Boris Johnson - Marmite magnetism
    Donald Trump - Get wet or dry off, the choice is yours.

Simon Harris - hard to describe really, but given the knowledge that he terrifies Leo enough to be given the health portfolio it is safe to say he plays with a sharp knife for starters. He would annihilate Coveney in a leadership election, hands down.

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    If you like Simon Harris he is done a really good job and is credit to himself. Fair play to him.If you do not like him he is a degenerate imbecile that has basically murdered hundreds of Irish people due to his mishandling of the Covid crisis. Choose a side please , indifference does not get a vote.

Like him or hate him he has the perfect formula for a successful career in politics in the 3rd millennium. He is able to divide and polarise opinion, an essential trait in modern politics.

Boris Johnson - Marmite magnetism
    Donald Trump - Get wet or dry off, the choice is yours.

Simon Harris - hard to describe really, but given the knowledge that he terrifies Leo enough to be given the health portfolio it is safe to say he plays with a sharp knife for starters. He would annihilate Coveney in a leadership election, hands down.

No chance. Coveney has won huge admiration for his work on Brexit.
    Think Harris is likely a future FG leader, but Coveney first, if he wants it. He may decide to go for a key role in Europe or UN, think he is capable of it.

No chance. Coveney has won huge admiration for his work on Brexit.
    Think Harris is likely a future FG leader, but Coveney first, if he wants it. He may decide to go for a key role in Europe or UN, think he is capable of it.

He hasn't got the charisma or the political nuance, too blunt. Far too used to getting his own way to genuinely understand how to fight for something, no bite. He has been given his entire political career on a plate, too easy.

McEntee would probably stand a better chance of defeating Harris, she is the right sex for victory. Whoever is the next female politician to polarise Mary Lou wins. All the women love her, regardless of her politics she is the everywoman of Ireland, a vote winning machine.

That is why Fianna Fáil are doomed, they ain't got the women onside.

He hasn't got the charisma or the political nuance, too blunt. Far too used to getting his own way to genuinely understand how to fight for something, no bite. He has been given his entire political career on a plate, too easy.

McEntee would probably stand a better chance of defeating Harris, she is the right sex for victory. Whoever is the next female politician to polarise Mary Lou wins. All the women lover her, regardless of her politics she is the everywoman of Ireland, a vote winning machine.

That is why Fianna Fáil are doomed, they ain't got the women onside.

Who are you talking about here?

Who are you talking about here?

Simon Coveney, stay on topic please, you knew who I was talking about.

I thought that the thread was about Simon Harris, who is doing great for one so young.

I thought that the thread was about Simon Harris, who is doing great for one so young.

Don't worry it still is, tangents are allowed though I am sure?

I mean the political fortunes of Harris and Coveney are inexorably combined?

If I did, why would I have asked?

Simon Coveney has earned huge respect throughout the Brexit process for being diligent, understanding, completely on top of his brief, diplomatic, and resilient.

The thought of him being Taoiseach, would appeal to a lot of people.

It's disingenuous to suggest that someone who has won 5 national elections and one European had their career handed to them just because their father was a TD before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Whiny.
    Full of self confidence and self importance.
    Likes the sound of his own voice.
    Loves the current scenario where he is lecturing all and sundry

Doesn't bother him in the slightest that he has been utterly incompetent.

Whiny.
    Full of self confidence and self importance.
    Likes the sound of his own voice.
    Loves the current scenario where he is lecturing all and sundry

Doesn't bother him in the slightest that he has been utterly incompetent.

The polarisation continues.

• Advertisement

If I did, why would I have asked?

Simon Coveney has earned huge respect throughout the Brexit process for being diligent, understanding, completely on top of his brief, diplomatic, and resilient.

The thought of him being Taoiseach, would appeal to a lot of people.

It's disingenuous to suggest that someone who has won 5 national elections and one European had their career handed to them just because their father was a TD before them.

Coveney is great, I like him. But I don't think he has the pliable qualities a successful leadership demands. Harris has more fight. That counts in any battle. Harris is younger and shrewder, he has more tenacity.

Harris might not be good at schmoozing French diplomats in Paris during Bastille week, that is Coveney's game. I could see Coveney nailing a bottle of 1994 Bordeaux and holding a conversation, Harris would be under the table the poor Divil…. but Harris knows how to get votes and influence party members. Leo knows this, that is why he likes leaning on him, it keeps Harris down. Leo fears him most.

Advertisement