Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Releases 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Are these all 100% releases? WWE mentioned furlough (im not sure what is in place in the states in terms of furlough compared to here and the UK) but if thats the case isnt that only s temporary measure?
    Talent are all released
    Production staff are a mix of released and furloghed

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I haven't seen any video of it but apparently Seth Rollins was slightly tone deaf of the releases yesterday. Now this was something I read but did anyone else see or read anything about it ? In fairness I could have been someone who doesn't like Rollins saying this.
    ThePott wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/AlexM_talkSPORT/status/1250567762617008129

People are taking it that he is saying don't be negative towards WWE while they feel you should be negative towards them because of all this.

He and David Starr had a back and forth on Twitter about it, I can see where Rollins is coming from, but I can also see where Starr's coming from. It's an interesting clash of ideology.

Tommy Dreamer also waded into it (not the Rollins/Starr back and forth), by saying
    You Can’t Hate WWE Or Vince McMahon For Making Business Decisions

The rest of his long winded quote does make for interesting read, but no doubt it'll be the headline people will dog pile onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Ryder for me is the biggest case of missed opportunity since the early 00s. Don't get me wrong, he was never going to the face of the company or a long-term main event guy, but he had everything need to be a consistent feature in the upper-mid card, dipping in and out of transitional feuds for main event heels. He had the look, was good in the ring, and had a ton of personality. The fans really did love him, and it was displayed any time he got to take part in a moment. And he has an amazing baby-face story from his real life that makes him someone that you can put in front of younger kids as someone to look up to (He had cancer as a kid). Even on that, I don't get why they didn't even put him in for more Make A Wish stuff, sending a WWE Superstar that had cancer as a kid to seriously ill kids is an amazing way to make inspirational moment for those kids.

He shifted so much merch at the time of his YouTube series, and I believe at one stage was the number one seller in WWE Shop. And where do we even begin when it comes to the impact he had on social media for wrestling as a whole. I'd argue that without Z! True Long Island Story not only would WWE's social media not be the award winning power house that it is now, but we wouldn't have Being The Elite, which by virtue means we might not have had AEW as it stands now. That's not a stretch, you can see the impact he had on the "business side of the business" everywhere. Then you combine his passion for collectables, he could have been a massive backstage help for R&D for WWE Shop and their partnerships with Mattell. And the sweetest bit? He was a lifer. There would have been 0 fear of him ever leaving WWE, and would do anything to help give back to the company.

Instead, because he got himself over, he was buried and buried terribly. He was publically humiliated and humbled, simply because his biggest crime was believing in himself and connecting with the fans.

I hope he goes to AEW, more than anyone else that got let go this week (Ok, I also want Rusev and The Revival there also). If it happens, I guarantee you he will become of their biggest assets backstage and for developing the company, and be one of their best assets in the ring also. I'd put the house on it.

See this guy- he gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

Instead, because he got himself over, he was buried and buried terribly. He was publically humiliated and humbled, simply because his biggest crime was believing in himself and connecting with the fans.

I agree that he was treated very badly by the company, but that treatment appears consistent with what Mick Foley said on Steve Austin's podcast one time - in order to be a made guy, you have to make Vince a fan of yours. If Vince doesn't get you, or doesn't understand why you're popular, then you're never going to have a good run in WWE.

I'm not saying that this isn't a silly way to run a company, but it is what it is.

But worse than that, Mick Foley went on to add that after Ryder had gotten over initially with the Internet Champion stuff, and then was buried for his trouble, Mick went to him and asked if he'd been talking to Vince about it. If he'd asked Vince why. Ryder just shook his head and answered in the negative.
    It seems like he was content just to do what he was told.

If that was Stone Cold Steve Austin, he'd never have gotten to the heights he did, because Stone Cold often tells the story of going up to Vince and being asked to be given more promo time as he felt his best attribute was his verbals. Vince agreed, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Unfortunately, too much of the WWE roster nowadays seems to be people who are just happy to be there. Happy to be living their childhood dream of being a wrestler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ryder for me is the biggest case of missed opportunity since the early 00s. Don't get me wrong, he was never going to the face of the company or a long-term main event guy, but he had everything need to be a consistent feature in the upper-mid card, dipping in and out of transitional feuds for main event heels. He had the look, was good in the ring, and had a ton of personality. The fans really did love him, and it was displayed any time he got to take part in a moment. And he has an amazing baby-face story from his real life that makes him someone that you can put in front of younger kids as someone to look up to (He had cancer as a kid). Even on that, I don't get why they didn't even put him in for more Make A Wish stuff, sending a WWE Superstar that had cancer as a kid to seriously ill kids is an amazing way to make inspirational moment for those kids.

He shifted so much merch at the time of his YouTube series, and I believe at one stage was the number one seller in WWE Shop. And where do we even begin when it comes to the impact he had on social media for wrestling as a whole. I'd argue that without Z! True Long Island Story not only would WWE's social media not be the award winning power house that it is now, but we wouldn't have Being The Elite, which by virtue means we might not have had AEW as it stands now. That's not a stretch, you can see the impact he had on the "business side of the business" everywhere. Then you combine his passion for collectables, he could have been a massive backstage help for R&D for WWE Shop and their partnerships with Mattell. And the sweetest bit? He was a lifer. There would have been 0 fear of him ever leaving WWE, and would do anything to help give back to the company.

I hope he goes to AEW, more than anyone else that got let go this week (Ok, I also want Rusev and The Revival there also). If it happens, I guarantee you he will become of their biggest assets backstage and for developing the company, and be one of their best assets in the ring also. I'd put the house on it.

Great post about Ryder and sums up his misfortune in WWE.

But the wheelchair bit with Kane is one of my all-time favourite wrestlecrap moments

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

ricero wrote: »
    Great post about Ryder and sums up his misfortune in WWE.

But the wheelchair bit with Kane is one of my all-time favourite wrestlecrap moments

This is the WWE

This is Zack Ryder

This is the WWE - pushing - Zack Ryder

Any questions?

This is the WWE

This is Zack Ryder

This is the WWE - pushing - Zack Ryder

Any questions?

I see what you did there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

I'd be curious to know what Impact's capacity is financially to take on a few extra superstars.

They must put on the most finacially meanest show in wrestling today so surely they'd have funds in the coffers.

Impact's sole sources of revenue are Impact+ and the live gate, given they don't get TV revenue.

Now also are not getting live gate, so they are running at a substantially greater loss than normal (and they've been running at a loss for years).

Funds in the coffers probably isn't the term all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,378 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Spanish Announce team have been furloughed

BlondLateGlassfrog-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 60,378 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

You have to love Heath Slater....already working for his triumphant return in his goodbye video. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Officer999

You have to love Heath Slater....already working for his triumphant return in his goodbye video. :P

His segment with Brock a few years back is one of my favourite Raw segments in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

so im guessing we get the smackdown side today and another bad day

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

More likely Saturday if they're doing a live show tonight, but yeah, probably! :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I’d put money on him being one of the first guys rehired when they start runnin house shows again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I think they're done. Why would they do different shows on different days?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I’d put money on him being one of the first guys rehired when they start runnin house shows again.

I hope he doesn't just decide to wait around a few months hoping for a phone call. A talent like him could get over elsewhere and show WWE what they missed out on. That's all part of grabbing the brass ring, IMO.

Anderson seems to be hinting at a return to New Japan...

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Officer999

briany wrote: »
    I hope he doesn't just decide to wait around a few months hoping for a phone call. A talent like him could get over elsewhere and show WWE what they missed out on. That's all part of grabbing the brass ring, IMO.

Exactly. Drew McIntyre springs to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Monokne wrote: »

They even included alleged involvement by vince during the snuka situation.

Transcript of Vince's message to talent/staff before he executed his Order 66, from Fightful.com
    Thank you all for joining me today. First and foremost, I hope that you and your families are safe. What we're going through today is unprecedented, and there's no doubt these are challenging times for everyone. Given the adverse effects of the Coronavirus and the resulting financial recession, WWE, like so many companies have to decrease operating expenses. Effective immediately, we are reducing executive and board member compensation, decreasing talent expenses, cutting third party staffing and consulting, and improving our cash flow by delaying the production of our new headquarters for at least six months.

Despite all these measures, given the uncertainty we are facing today, unfortunately we have to temporarily reduce head count. As such, a number of WWE employees will be furloughed from the company today. At the close of my remarks, employees will receive a communication detailing their individual situations. More specifically, those impacted by the furloughs will receive a text message from Human Resources with specific information for their next steps.

These are not easy decisions, but reflect the reality of the environment we're working in today. We live in a world of troubled times. I'm confident as a company, and most importantly, confident in you as individual employees, will pull through these tough times and come back to work and make life better than it's ever been. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,862 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wow. That's not a nice way to do it. Couldn't even tell them individually. Just told to wait for a text while he and his peers are making the big sacrifice of maybe $10,000 of their 7 figure salaries

thats typical corporate talk really

Wow, told by text. This company.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wow. That's not a nice way to do it. Couldn't even tell them individually. Just told to wait for a text while he and his peers are making the big sacrifice of maybe $10,000 of their 7 figure salaries

Something else to file under the Category titled: Vince McMahon is a piece of **** human being.

That Punk jab at John Laurinatis from 2011 comes to mind....

I mean WWE looks worse because AEW haven't left anyone go as far as I know yet WWE who according to Dave meltzer WWE will make revenue of $850 million even if there is not a single live event held this year, no Saudi show, and not a single extra network subscription.

And he also says that the talent cuts total $703,000 and the $4 million a month is the moving to this new headquarters as well as the talent cuts. I mean $703,000 is a big amount of money for most everybody but WWE have probably spent that much on less important things over the years.

Edit: I realise that it's meltzer and it may not be 100% on the ball but I don't think it's complete bull**** either.

it was a 2 minute video actually

not much better

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/exclusives/transcript-vince-mcmahon-s-message-wwe-employees-ahead-cuts

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »

I think they were referring to the communication of each individual wrestler that vince refers to in the transcript.

Advertisement