Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Releases 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,925 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Looks like Kassius Ohno, aka Chris Hero is gone as well. He's moved to the alumni section. They're pretty quick in updating that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

ricero wrote: »
    A lot of jabronis and younger talent cut.

One really only high profile talent cut and that was Kurt Angle. Kurt doesn't seem to have the mind to be a producer so I can see why he was giving the booth.

Ruthless stuff but for the talent that was cut not surprising. Many had more than enough chances to make inroads but just didnt have the "it" factor.

Im sure they will do well in smaller promotions like NWA, ROH, AEW and New Japan.

Jaboronis? A lot were guys that were misused or were depushed despite getting themselved over.

Rusev could be have been a main event player had they put him over Cena at WM31. Following that the try bury the guy in horrible angles due to supposed heat on his wife. Then he gets himself over with Rusev day and they dont know how to capatlise on it.

Zack Ryder got himself over, despite WWE trying to hold him back and then they bury him. Without Zack Ryder, WWEs social platforms would be years behind.

Lio Rush is so talented, and he proved that both as Lashleys mouth piece, which would go down well these days even more so with empty arenas and as a cruiserweight champ. Hes like Riochet but with a personality. What a waste.

Deonna is so good in ring, and yet shes spent two years in NXT and when shes on TV she has put over folk which are nowhere near decent yet.

Drake is so good at everything. He does anything hes asked and he is a hell of a performer both inside and out. Theres not much he cant do. ****ing waste.

EC3 never got a chance to reach the heights he can achieve. Hed be a decent midcarder and way better than Corbin, Mojo or any of the Forgotten Sons.

Chris Hero is a hell of a worker. Never got used right at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Can't really respond to a jabroni comment with a good worker type description. The are opposite ends of the scale and ignore the many things in between that make a person of value to WWE.

Obviusly that jabroni comment was a barb in anticipation of the inevitable replies to how a Hero is a great worker or Rusev got himself over. Aimed to be dismissive of their ability to be significant performers at a significant level over time.

The truth is in the middle, as fans we always look at certain people and wish they would do more with them. Some prove the WWE wrong and end up back in with them in good spots if they get released. Rusev could well go the way of a Sandow very easily once outside the WWE bubble. Hero is probably best placed on the indy circuit if he wants to perform rather than teaching how to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    That was the talk last night
    That yesterday was the Raw cull
    nXt will be today
    Smackdown Saturday/Monday

If that’s true we’re in for some nightmare days in regards to our fav wrestlers, WWE stock will hit the floor, might be a good time to invest. US time is a bit behind so might be the late afternoon till names start rolling. Isn’t it weird that Drake Maverick is still in this tournament unless it’s pre-recorded? Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

doesnt matter if we think there good or bad workers or entertainers its never good to see people lose their jobs especially in this environment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Officer999

Can definitely see EC3 return to Impact

• Registered Users Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Jaboronis? A lot were guys that were misused or were depushed despite getting themselved over.

Rusev could be have been a main event player had they put him over Cena at WM31. Following that the try bury the guy in horrible angles due to supposed heat on his wife. Then he gets himself over with Rusev day and they dont know how to capatlise on it.

Zack Ryder got himself over, despite WWE trying to hold him back and then they bury him. Without Zack Ryder, WWEs social platforms would be years behind

Funny you mention those two. Those guys were the biggest examples of getting yourself over and WWE saying "No thanks" and both were narratively castrated with Ryder, in a wheelchair, watching Cena kiss his on-screen girlfriend and Lashley and Lana wearing the face off each other while standing over Rusev.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I still don't get what the hell the WWE were thinking when it came to Ryder, treat him like crap, bury him and destroy his creativity and merch making ability, but then continue to employ him for years and years, and it must have been good enough money for him not to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Dave Meltzer had a good breakdown on WWE financials last night.

They are on course to derive in excess of a billion dollars this year between the money generated in the first quarter, their remaining TV deals, the network and merch money. If they didn't get a cent from the network or merch the rest of the year, they would still end up with $850 million in revenue.

Their goal is still to end up with $140 million in profit.

So thankfully they aren't going out of business. I know we were all worried for a second there.

I still don't get what the hell the WWE were thinking when it came to Ryder, treat him like crap, bury him and destroy his creativity and merch making ability, but then continue to employ him for years and years, and it must have been good enough money for him not to leave

And randomly give him big Mania moments, winning the IC title and tag titles. Lost the IC title the next night then, I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,691 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I know the rosters were bloated and lots of wrestlers doing nothing but more wrestlers were getting money and making a living. That sounds like I'm defending WWE but I'm not I'm just thinking of the wrestling business as a whole as the more people making a living from wrestling the better in my opinion. That what AEW is a good thing because more places to work.

The supposed savings of $4 million a month is hardly going to break WWE as at worst it doesn't make record profits for the year like it has this year and at worst the WWE network stays as is with little to no new archive content for 2020 and at best they see an uptick in subscribers because people at home look to streaming services.

And on the $18.5 million donation from the super PAC that Linda McMahon is in charge of seems to conflated that WWE gave that money when it's not true. Linda McMahon and vince may have given money to it but they didn't give the full amount. Yes it looks dodgy as **** given the timing and the fact that WWE is now considered essential media but a super PAC is made of of many donors so it was a collective.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And randomly give him big Mania moments, winning the IC title and tag titles. Lost the IC title the next night then, I think

Yeah I watched that Mania match last night, crowd were big into it. And then they just throw away all the good will the very next night, to give the miz another push :rolleyes:

I haven't seen any video of it but apparently Seth Rollins was slightly tone deaf of the releases yesterday. Now this was something I read but did anyone else see or read anything about it ? In fairness I could have been someone who doesn't like Rollins saying this.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I know the rosters were bloated and lots of wrestlers doing nothing but more wrestlers were getting money and making a living. That sounds like I'm defending WWE but I'm not I'm just thinking of the wrestling business as a whole as the more people making a living from wrestling the better in my opinion. That what AEW is a good thing because more places to work.

The supposed savings of $4 million a month is hardly going to break WWE as at worst it doesn't make record profits for the year like it has this year and at worst the WWE network stays as is with little to no new archive content for 2020 and at best they see an uptick in subscribers because people at home look to streaming services.

Thing is WWE horded loads of talent over the last few years, and never realesed anyone. They should have realsed these guys ages ago and give them a chance to work elsewhere.

Releasing them no when they have no where else to work is a dick move.

Thing is WWE horded loads of talent over the last few years, and never realesed anyone. They should have realsed these guys ages ago and give them a chance to work elsewhere.

Releasing them no when they have no where else to work is a dick move.

this, i think if these releases happen in January before all this kicked off it would sad but most would seeing it as needed as theyve hoarded for too long

but releasing them know when they cant go anywhere else although i could see a debut at double if theres no no compete clause is just a dick move as youve said

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Ryder for me is the biggest case of missed opportunity since the early 00s. Don't get me wrong, he was never going to the face of the company or a long-term main event guy, but he had everything need to be a consistent feature in the upper-mid card, dipping in and out of transitional feuds for main event heels. He had the look, was good in the ring, and had a ton of personality. The fans really did love him, and it was displayed any time he got to take part in a moment. And he has an amazing baby-face story from his real life that makes him someone that you can put in front of younger kids as someone to look up to (He had cancer as a kid). Even on that, I don't get why they didn't even put him in for more Make A Wish stuff, sending a WWE Superstar that had cancer as a kid to seriously ill kids is an amazing way to make inspirational moment for those kids.

He shifted so much merch at the time of his YouTube series, and I believe at one stage was the number one seller in WWE Shop. And where do we even begin when it comes to the impact he had on social media for wrestling as a whole. I'd argue that without Z! True Long Island Story not only would WWE's social media not be the award winning power house that it is now, but we wouldn't have Being The Elite, which by virtue means we might not have had AEW as it stands now. That's not a stretch, you can see the impact he had on the "business side of the business" everywhere. Then you combine his passion for collectables, he could have been a massive backstage help for R&D for WWE Shop and their partnerships with Mattell. And the sweetest bit? He was a lifer. There would have been 0 fear of him ever leaving WWE, and would do anything to help give back to the company.

Instead, because he got himself over, he was buried and buried terribly. He was publically humiliated and humbled, simply because his biggest crime was believing in himself and connecting with the fans.

I hope he goes to AEW, more than anyone else that got let go this week (Ok, I also want Rusev and The Revival there also). If it happens, I guarantee you he will become of their biggest assets backstage and for developing the company, and be one of their best assets in the ring also. I'd put the house on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭ThePott

I haven't seen any video of it but apparently Seth Rollins was slightly tone deaf of the releases yesterday. Now this was something I read but did anyone else see or read anything about it ? In fairness I could have been someone who doesn't like Rollins saying this.
    https://twitter.com/AlexM_talkSPORT/status/1250567762617008129

People are taking it that he is saying don't be negative towards WWE while they feel you should be negative towards them because of all this.

thought that was interesting when people kept sayng they had 500 million in cash which they dont and have 350 million in Liabilities

doesnt excuse what they did still

https://twitter.com/barnettjake/status/1250535470855081984?s=20

And on the $18.5 million donation from the super PAC that Linda McMahon is in charge of seems to conflated that WWE gave that money when it's not true. Linda McMahon and vince may have given money to it but they didn't give the full amount. Yes it looks dodgy as **** given the timing and the fact that WWE is now considered essential media but a super PAC is made of of many donors so it was a collective.

Started reading that thinking "PAC did what?"

Maybe not to this level, but weren't there usually post Mania releases?

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Started reading that thinking "PAC did what?"

Maybe not to this level, but weren't there usually post Mania releases?

There's used to be two I think one post mania and one in the autumn time but they stopped that and yeah the releases were a couple of people and not to this amount in one go. I really hope that there isn't cuts from nxt today and smackdown over the weekend.

Anyone think the FOX deal might be in jeopardy or FOX pushing them for more star quality and turf out deadwood? Billion Dollar deal surely they’ve the Bull by the horns when it comes to what goes on. Just a thought be interested to see what ye all think

Ryder for me is the biggest case of missed opportunity since the early 00s. Don't get me wrong, he was never going to the face of the company or a long-term main event guy, but he had everything need to be a consistent feature in the upper-mid card, dipping in and out of transitional feuds for main event heels. He had the look, was good in the wrong, and had a ton of personality. The fans really did love him, and it was displayed any time he got to take part in a moment. And he has an amazing baby-face story from his real life that makes him someone that you can put in front of younger kids as someone to look up to (He had cancer as a kid). Even on that, I don't get why they didn't even put him in for more Make A Wish stuff, sending a WWE Superstar that had cancer as a kid to seriously ill kids is an amazing way to make inspirational moment for those kids.

He shifted so much merch at the time of his YouTube series, and I believe at one stage was the number one seller in WWE Shop. And where do we even begin when it comes to the impact he had on social media for wrestling as a whole. I'd argue that without Z! True Long Island Story not only would WWE's social media not be the award winning power house that it is now, but we wouldn't have Being The Elite, which by virtue means we might not have had AEW as it stands now. That's not a stretch, you can see the impact he had on the "business side of the business" everywhere. Then you combine his passion for collectables, he could have been a massive backstage help for R&D for WWE Shop and their partnerships with Mattell. And the sweetest bit? He was a lifer. There would have been 0 fear of him ever leaving WWE, and would do anything to help give back to the company.

Instead, because he got himself over, he was buried and buried terribly. He was publically humiliated and humbled, simply because his biggest crime was believing in himself and connecting with the fans.

I hope he goes to AEW, more than anyone else that got let go this week (Ok, I also want Rusev and The Revival there also). If it happens, I guarantee you he will become of their biggest assets backstage and for developing the company, and be one of their best assets in the ring also. I'd put the house on it.

He was a low level Daniel Bryan case. He got over on hos own, WWE tried to kill it, but in doing so it made the fans more determined to back him and thus he was more over. Tehy eventually succeeded in killing gis push and crushing his internet vids.

He loved WWE, its a dream job for him. Sad for the guy. Even his mania moments were tainted as they had no build and no follow up.

Anyone think the FOX deal might be in jeopardy or FOX pushing them for more star quality and turf out deadwood? Billion Dollar deal surely they’ve the Bull by the horns when it comes to what goes on. Just a thought be interested to see what ye all think

Im no expert at all, but WWE are fulfilling their contact, so I dunno how Fox could get out of the contract.

Im no expert at all, but WWE are fulfilling their contact, so I dunno how Fox could get out of the contract.

Isn’t it a numbers game though in terms of viewership?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,474 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is there more expected in the coming days?

I was expecting to see a lot more of NXT talent cut.

Is there more expected in the coming days?

I was expecting to see a lot more of NXT talent cut.

It's possible and there is "talk" (use as much salt as required) that there will be more today for nxt and Saturday for smackdown. I hope to jaysus it's not true but the way this week is going nothing would surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'd be curious to know what Impact's capacity is financially to take on a few extra superstars.

They must put on the most finacially meanest show in wrestling today so surely they'd have funds in the coffers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Are these all 100% releases? WWE mentioned furlough (im not sure what is in place in the states in terms of furlough compared to here and the UK) but if thats the case isnt that only s temporary measure?

Advertisement