Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Unfortunately back up to 6 cases in Kerry today. Over 700 in Ireland so its up again sadly.

I would have expected the national total to be tapering off by now, I wonder what the excuse is? If this keeps up we're not going to get much of a change being announced on 5th April. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I would have expected the national total to be tapering off by now, I wonder what the excuse is? If this keeps up we're not going to get much of a change being announced on 5th April. :(
    Louth, Meath and Kildare have numbers in the 40s and Donegal is up to 67.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,916 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

When I heard that an announcement of changes was to be made on April 5th I have to admit I lost a bit of confidence in the hope we might see some relaxations in the lockdown considering how soon after St. Patrick's Day the announcement is scheduled for and the mindless carry on there was in certain areas that day.

They need to consider opening up counties individually when it is warranted by the numbers. It's crazy to have so few cases in one county and they are treated the exact same as the worst county in Ireland.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

When I heard that an announcement of changes was to be made on April 5th I have to admit I lost a bit of confidence in the hope we might see some relaxations in the lockdown considering how soon after St. Patrick's Day the announcement is scheduled for and the mindless carry on there was in certain areas that day.

They need to consider opening up counties individually when it is warranted by the numbers. It's crazy to have so few cases in one county and they are treated the exact same as the worst county in Ireland.

It's not just St Patrick's Day, it's all the carry on with the Government not getting their act together re quarantining. This article about over 34,400 people flying into the country since the scheme was announced, does nothing to inspire confidence, especially as it's mentioned that "Over 1,200 passengers arrived from 'high risk' countries, such as South Africa and Brazil."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40248428.html

I'm not suprised that there's so much abuse aimed at the hierachy on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,916 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It's not just St Patrick's Day, it's all the carry on with the Government not getting their act together re quarantining. This article about over 34,400 people flying into the country since the scheme was announced, does nothing to inspire confidence, especially as it's mentioned that "Over 1,200 passengers arrived from 'high risk' countries, such as South Africa and Brazil."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40248428.html

I'm not suprised that there's so much abuse aimed at the hierachy on social media.

I'm all for playing the game and supporting sensible measures and instructions but at this stage the government is starting to slowly lose my confidence and support.

I said it last year and still just can't understand how international flights are left land here while everyone is limited to travelling less than 5km.

Then we had 300 people at a funeral last week a lot of who came from UK with no issue and numerous weddings reported on being allowed break the rules while ordinary law abiding people suffer the harshest consequences.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ive no confidence in the government whatsoever. The most uninspiring bunch of chancers I ever remember being in charge. The only thing they have successfully managed is to give themselves pay raises.
    I can't see much being opened again on April 5th I'm afraid. Don't see the point in locking us all down and letting so many others in and out

I'm all for playing the game and supporting sensible measures and instructions but at this stage the government is starting to slowly lose my confidence and support.

I said it last year and still just can't understand how international flights are left land here while everyone is limited to travelling less than 5km.

Then we had 300 people at a funeral last week a lot of who came from UK with no issue and numerous weddings reported on being allowed break the rules while ordinary law abiding people suffer the harshest consequences.

The elephant in the room was "international travel" from day 1 when the virus kicked off. I remember saying over a year ago that the only things that should be arriving and leaving the country were imports and exports. Instead we've had tens of thousands coming in and out of Ireland with no checks whatsoever, and we're all paying the price for the ineptitude.

Had it been handled properly, there might well have been no need for any lockdowns, but of course it wasn't handled properly, and it still isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,769 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

There is effectively no virus in Kerry at the moment yet we stay on the same level of restrictions as the rest of the country.

What was the point of the Living With Covid plan announced at the end of the summer. Other than justifying the existence of a bunch of civil servants who were being paid to do f-all for months on end.

And the same people who brought us the Blood Transfusion scandal in the 90s and Cirvical Screening clusterfcuk of the last decade are being tasked with rolling out the vaccine programme. Because of public sector union power and a gutless government they couldn't be sacked for incompetence then, they are coming back at the public for another go at making a complete hames of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amdaley28

All people can do is try & protect themselves.
    If you go out wear a mask & keep sanitizing your hands every chance you get.
    Don't depend on this government for anything because that are inept.
    Eventually we will stumble ourselves through the vaccine & then all these government officials & politicians will be patting themselves on the back for doing such a good job.

At the next election people will get the chance to show politicians what they think of them but don't expect miracles from any oncoming government. This country is run by civil servants with politicians just along for the ride.
    Now where's that fat rise I promised myself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Interesting stats on the news, in the last fortnight there have been 7395 covid cases & 1.72% were connected to travel...take into consideration that 85% of travellers are Irish people returning from holidays... we're the problem, not Johnny Foreigner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Fewer than five cases today, fortnightly average back down to 50:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1374060281509376000

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

wonga77 wrote: »
    Ive no confidence in the government whatsoever. The most uninspiring bunch of chancers I ever remember being in charge. The only thing they have successfully managed is to give themselves pay raises.
    I can't see much being opened again on April 5th I'm afraid. Don't see the point in locking us all down and letting so many others in and out

Just been chatting to someone who came in from Pakistan (phone) via Turkey. He had a covid test before traveling, negative, and was to by the Guards to isolate for 3 days, nothing about 14 :eek:

Fewer than five cases today, fortnightly average back down to 50:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1374060281509376000

Lets hope we can keep it there.
    Easter will be the big test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

RTE today.

Headline "Rise in Covid-19 outbreaks in schools".

Minister for Finance Paschal Donohoe said secondary schools "will return" after Easter.

Assuming "after Easter" means directly after Easter where is the logic in that statement ? Sure give people hope, but at the expense of logic, surely "If we can reverse the rise in school outbreaks, and make good progress with the vaccination program then we might be able to reopen after Easter" is a more accurate, more informative, and a more logical statement ?

7 cases today, but the overall incidence continues to fall:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1374782942774493199

LEA Rates:

Listowel 12 (41.8 per 100,000)
    Tralee: 33 (99.9)
    Corca Dhuibhne 16 (112.8)
    Castleisland <5 (N/A)
    Killarney: 7 (23.6)
    Kenmare: <5 (N/A)

Given the fortnightly total is 76, Castleisland and Kenmare are therefore 4 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    RTE today.

Headline "Rise in Covid-19 outbreaks in schools".

Minister for Finance Paschal Donohoe said secondary schools "will return" after Easter.

Assuming "after Easter" means directly after Easter where is the logic in that statement ? Sure give people hope, but at the expense of logic, surely "If we can reverse the rise in school outbreaks, and make good progress with the vaccination program then we might be able to reopen after Easter" is a more accurate, more informative, and a more logical statement ?

I don't think we have vaccines at the moment. And Easter is like next week so there won't be a reverse in numbers by then. So he cant make those statements. You're right though, there is no logic. They are just determined to keep the schools open.

Big fall in the 14-day rate to below 40 now, and no cases today, with only Monaghan narrowly below us!

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1375504871672143878

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Spacific

Big fall in the 14-day rate to below 40 now, and no cases today, with only Monaghan narrowly below us!

Monaghan have gone from worst to best

And the fortnightly rate falls further to 33, after just one case today - given ourselves and Cork have been consistently low over recent weeks, along with much of Connacht, perhaps regional approaches to lockdown levels are worth revisiting?

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1375867770257215491

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

And the fortnightly rate falls further to 33 - given ourselves and Cork have been consistently low over recent weeks, along with much of Connacht, perhaps regional approaches to lockdown levels are worth revisiting?

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1375867770257215491

No, they are not.. people really need to stop this

No, they are not.. people really need to stop this

I think the 5Km limit is definitely worth a look in counties with low numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

amdaley28 wrote: »

Apparently the 5km limit is linked to rent and eviction controls so it won't be removed until they have someone to replace it

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

amdaley28 wrote: »
    It ain't stopping the hordes flocking back down to their holiday homes again.

I dont think anyone is paying heed to the 5km rule for a while now. The guards don't want to be patrolling it either, they got dealt the sh1tty end of the stick there

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

wonga77 wrote: »
    I dont think anyone is paying heed to the 5km rule for a while now. The guards don't want to be patrolling it either, they got dealt the sh1tty end of the stick there
    I am and I think I'm far from the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Quackster wrote: »
    It ain't stopping the hordes flocking back down to their holiday homes again.

Hordes? Is this actually happening during the school term or is this just hearsay?

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    I am and I think I'm far from the only one.

Fair enough, I live on the Ring of Kerry route and am working every day. Im seeing plenty of different faces most days, seeing lights on in lots of houses locally that are usually unoccupied

Advertisement