Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 user52873

BPKS wrote: »
    I have it on very good authority that there is a certain ethnic minority that have done their best to spread it in a town in the North of the county anyway.

I can't go into any further details as unlike blaming students and the GAA, it's not PC to point the finger in this direction.

Am pretty sure nobody, minority or majority, has 'done their best to spread it'

cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

user52873 wrote: »

cop on

Wise words.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I just read on Jackie Healy Rae’s Facebook page that Apparently there are 15 patients in University Hospital Kerry with Covid19, 3 of which are in ICU.

I know a neighbour of my parents has been in ICU for a few weeks now with covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

user52873 wrote: »

cop on

No. But plenty from the majority and minority have done sweet Fanny Adams to prevent the spread, which amounts to the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

10 cases on the Dingle Peninsula. 5 I know of in the same family in Dunquin that a child brought home from school in Dingle, guess is the child got it from a tourist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Igotadose wrote: »
    10 cases on the Dingle Peninsula. 5 I know of in the same family in Dunquin that a child brought home from school in Dingle, guess is the child got it from a tourist.

How/why is that your first guess?

dobman88 wrote: »
    How/why is that your first guess?

Because there's been zero infection here for months. So by definition someone from outside the area, brought it in. It might've been indirect - maybe the kid got it from another kid whose cousin came to visit and gave it to him, but he's asymptomatic and didn't spread it.

If this family got it from a local family, there'd be way more cases, than 10.

FWIW, this information is from the local 'grapevine.' So, yes, speculative other than the numbers as to what the source is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There is no doubt a high Covid incidence rate in certain areas, where people who should not be named live, but as has been pointed out, they're not the only ones contributing to the spread. There are still people not following all the guidelines. I was in a Costa queue yesterday, and the fella behind me with his two kids, was wearing a mask, but he was still breathing down the back of my neck, because he completely ignored the 2 metre rule. Last week, some Sky fella showed up to do an upgrade, and his nose was above his mask.

.... and there are the ones thinking it's a scam, and that it's the Flu that people have got, and not Covid 19. These people of course, are highly qualified social media medical professionals. Some of those people even seem to be politicising the situation, and label the people who are taking it seriously, as liberal lefty sheep.

It's impossible to get through to these people, they're too far gone.

Because there's been zero infection here for months. So by definition someone from outside the area, brought it in. It might've been indirect - maybe the kid got it from another kid whose cousin came to visit and gave it to him, but he's asymptomatic and didn't spread it.

FWIW, this information is from the local 'grapevine.' So, yes, speculative other than the numbers as to what the source is.

Fair enough. Thanks.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I think it's more likely that a local picked it up elsewhere and brought it back with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Quackster wrote: »
    I think it's more likely that a local picked it up elsewhere and brought it back with them.

I would say so. Anyone having to travel for work or anything like that could have contaminated a surface. Handwash, handwash, handwash. And when you've done that handwash some more. Kid could have picked it up from a shop door, change from a shop, pedestrian crossing button, anything like that.

The hand sanitising message isn't strong enough, IMO. If you touch anything at all outside of your own home sanitise your hands straight away. Kids especially need this drilling in til it becomes second nature.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I would say so. Anyone having to travel for work or anything like that could have contaminated a surface. Handwash, handwash, handwash. And when you've done that handwash some more. Kid could have picked it up from a shop door, change from a shop, pedestrian crossing button, anything like that.

The hand sanitising message isn't strong enough, IMO. If you touch anything at all outside of your own home sanitise your hands straight away. Kids especially need this drilling in til it becomes second nature.

Handwashing isn't the issue at all. It *really* is a fragile virus. The handwashing studies of someone who had it, where they swabbed every surface in the house and brought the material back to a lab, and *still* couldn't culture it, seem to me to put paid to that.
    I'd welcome data that showed otherwise - the erstwhile HSE hasn't provided any that prove handwashing and santizing make a difference for spreading covid though.

Washing your hands, however, is good. Granny wasn't wrong about that!

But, wear a mask. That is proven - cf. the recent story about the Czech republic, who had a 'grassroots' wear a mask early on, did so, didn't get a big outbreak, stopped wearing masks, and here comes uncle Covid.

Quackster wrote: »

From. A. Person. Not a surface. And as I said, the kid in question likely contracted it in Dingle, which is still teeming with tourists esp. from overseas who are NOT self-isolating. The self-isolating thing was a joke, so few followed it.

From. A. Person. Not a surface. And as I said, the kid in question likely contracted it in Dingle, which is still teeming with tourists esp. from overseas who are NOT self-isolating. The self-isolating thing was a joke, so few followed it.
    Yeah, from a person. Plenty of people from Dingle travel to Tralee and beyond on a daily basis. We now know most cases are asymptomatic so that kid could easily have picked it up from another local locally.

It don't get this 'blame the outsiders' mentality that seems to be a thing in rural areas. Plenty of all kinds of people have been acting the bollox and that's why we're now where we are!

47 in Kerry today is a big jump

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

A 6 weeks lockdown looking likely. Very long time, especially this time of year. So many businesses and staff will suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    A 6 weeks lockdown looking likely. Very long time, especially this time of year. So many businesses and staff will suffer.

But schools carry on regardless and there will be post football parties from pubs doing takeways so no worries

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

frank8211 wrote: »
    But schools carry on regardless and there will be post football parties from pubs doing takeways so no worries

I better join Mitchell's :)

The offies will be closing early by all accounts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

close the off-licence and its a big problem solved.
    stop the matches and when the mums and dads drop the kids , go home or work and stop the going elsewheres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭barryribs

Frank you have an unhealthy obsession with post football partys. You'd want to start reporting these and do your bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

"Zero Covid is not a realistic approach, because we are an island" says the Taoiseach.

Maybe now is the most appropriate time to actually become a real republic island

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Mind boggling stuff.

Some things are just so hard to understand, some brain dead Garda went to a high profile meeting this morning before he got his test result which was positive.

He's meant to be a senior ranking Garda, how in the name of God is this man in charge of anything?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

7 or 8 lads standing on a skylift in Dunnes stores carpark looking over the wall of Austin Stack park at the match this evening. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Mind boggling stuff.

Some things are just so hard to understand, some brain dead Garda went to a high profile meeting this morning before he got his test result which was positive.

He's meant to be a senior ranking Garda, how in the name of God is this man in charge of anything?

One word.... Killarney.

Didn't you know the rules don't apply to them?

Saw guys stood on the roof of vans watching a match a few weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

It's mad that people think they can do this and it will have no consequences. :rolleyes: Well done to the school for being upfront and public with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

Tarbert comprehensive school reopened from tomorrow after an order from the department of education overruling the principal’s decision to close until after midterm.

7 confirmed cases in the school with many many close contacts yet to receive results or even notification that they are in fact a close contact

Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Tarbert comprehensive school reopened from tomorrow after an order from the department of education overruling the principal’s decision to close until after midterm.

7 confirmed cases in the school with many many close contacts yet to receive results or even notification that they are in fact a close contact

Ridiculous.

Jesus that is mental.

They're obviously just letting it run through the schools due to kids being low risk for any serious repercussions from covid. They should just come out and say that so vulnerable people could act accordingly and avoid contact with school going children.

Advertisement