Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I went to a local retail business today. Shocked by the change in the place. Lots of new young staff, zero customer interaction. The premises itself is looking scruffy. I worked there some years ago, and the then manager would eat you if there was a speck on the floor. Sad to see things gone this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

My TA is people who think you're a hypochondriac when you mention ANYTHING to do with any form of injury, soreness, ailment etc.

I've had a bad headache lately and my head throbs whenever I get up and go downstairs. I know well if I was to bring that up at home, this is what I'll get: "ah shut up take a paracetamol you'll be fine". I personally think I've got high blood pressure

I'm making an appointment with the doctor anyway but the whole attitude towards people who bring up the fact they're not feeling well in anyway, it's always "shut up you're overreacting".

This actually happened about 14 years ago when I broke my collarbone. I brought up the pain to my mother and she instantly told me "you're fine, you've just pulled a muscle" I complained the whole night about the pain and she got annoyed at me, I even asked her "what if it's broke?" and she told me I was a hypochondriac. The following day, she saw the discolouration in that part of my arm and brought me to the doctor. Sure enough, duh, broke. We laugh about it nowadays and it's my go-to rib when the opportunity arises.

But what is this awkwardness and sudden denial whenever someone brings up they're in pain? Why do we get so annoyed about it when we hear it from someone?

Yeah, this is a cultural thing in Ireland and Britain. Never understood it. What's clever or cool about encouraging people to dismiss potentially serious symptoms?

Walking on the road, car goes by, stops about 200yds ahead of me on side of road/hard shoulder in the middle of nowhere (not in front of a house nor close to a boreen or a sideroad). I don't know what to make of it... Is it someone willing to give me a lift or perhaps a farmer looking into his field or someone stopping to answer a phone... I don't know...

The not knowing gets me.. Keep looking straight ahead pretending I'm oblivious (inside I'm stressing)... About 30secs to a minute later as I'm close to/alongside or past the car, well I know then... I'm still going to be walking :o :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

All those lads playing soccer with the same surname. Is there anywhere safe from this media preaching at us? That's me and soccer done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

strangers who gawk at you as you walk by. Someday I will blow a raspberry at one of them :mad: :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

All those lads playing soccer with the same surname. Is there anywhere safe from this media preaching at us? That's me and soccer done.

United fan, C? Well, ex-United fan.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

United fan, C? Well, ex-United fan.

No E, but I wouldn't hold it against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

social awkwardness bites

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

404s :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

strangers who gawk at you as you walk by. Someday I will blow a raspberry at one of them :mad: :p

Have you been to Berlin PTin? Gawking takes on a whole new level of gawkiness...I had men literally stop their bikes and lift their sunglasses to unashamedly drool.
    To be fair, I do resemble Lora Croft so perhaps they thought I was shooting a movie or something or...and it's a very unlikely or....I looked like a carcrash and they were simply absentmindedly staring because that's what Berliners do!
    I lived there for years and found it astonishing... people just stare at you! In Dublin I find it's less frequent but when it happens I feel like slapping the gape of the gob****e!

Ta I get worked up so ta'allyðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement

Porklife wrote: »
    Have you been to Berlin PTin? Gawking takes on a whole new level of gawkiness...I had men literally stop their bikes and lift their sunglasses to unashamedly drool.
    To be fair, I do resemble Lora Croft so perhaps they thought I was shooting a movie or something or...and it's a very unlikely or....I looked like a carcrash and they were simply absentmindedly staring because that's what Berliners do!
    I lived there for years and found it astonishing... people just stare at you! In Dublin I find it's less frequent but when it happens I feel like slapping the gape of the gob****e!

Ta I get worked up so ta'allyðŸ˜႒
    Nobody is drooling over me Porklife, trust me. The people who stare are mostly doing it from nosiness.

Auld wans usually give me evils like I'm about to snatch their bag or something.
    I don't know why, I don't look like a criminal or anything.

404s :rolleyes:
    503s for me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

Nobody is drooling over me Porklife, trust me. The people who stare are mostly doing it from nosiness.

Auld wans usually give me evils like I'm about to snatch their bag or something.
    I don't know why, I don't look like a criminal or anything.

So you say.....

516815.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

503s for me :mad:

I'm getting those now too.

degsie wrote: »
    So you say.....

516815.jpg

Who gave you that picture :mad: It was just me and CMT trying something new, it was all her idea I swear :o

People could be staring at my hair, I am turning into Terry Nutkins lately.
    They gawked at me before my mad hair though so it doesn't explain it.
    I wish I had the gumption to stop one of them and say politely 'excuse me, I was wondering why you are staring at me?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

In Berlin it used to drive me crazy. I'd be sitting on the ubahn going to work and people literally just stare you down. Some mornings I'd be hungover as **** and I'd feel like screaming - BOO!! just to startle them.
    It's definitely not because I look so amazing, often I'd look a right state, it's just what they do. It's invasive.

Btw...I think that 'tach really suits you PTin..you'd fit right in in Berlin 😀

Ta....I'm hungry but need to go to the shops...granted it's a two minute walk so no big deal but this weather is making me feel lazy too. Can't the shopkeeper come to me! Selfish Lidl staff.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Who gave you that picture :mad: It was just me and CMT trying something new, it was all her idea I swear :o

People could be staring at my hair, I am turning into Terry Nutkins lately.
    They gawked at me before my mad hair though so it doesn't explain it.
    I wish I had the gumption to stop one of them and say politely 'excuse me, I was wondering why you are staring at me?'.

Are you by chance wearing a t-shirt that reads " ↑ My eyes are up there ↑ "?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

New Home wrote: »
    Are you by chance wearing a t-shirt that reads " ↑ My eyes are up there ↑ "?

78400827_1458608767622348_5073771048608989184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=_EFo4DL-e7UAX-gqnDf&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=4d50215430e38c4d35da414f924ea867&oe=5F126A81

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭Be right back

Listening to the news on a Cork radio station and the death of a Garda is only the second news story.

Listening to the news on a Cork radio station and the death of a Garda is only the second news story.

What is the main story?

• Advertisement

What is the main story?

That restaurants are allowed an extra 15 minutes for meal sittings.

That restaurants are allowed an extra 15 minutes for meal sittings.
    That is stupid! Hard to believe that. Whoever writes their news needs their head checked.

That is stupid! Hard to believe that. Whoever writes their news needs their head checked.

My thoughts exactly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

When has saying to a depressed person "Cheer up, don't be so gloomy", or to a person who's furious about something "Calm down", or to a person who's really really worried about something "Don't worry", or "Trust me" to someone who has been let down innumerable times before by that very same person, EVER worked?

Unless you're given a valid cause, saying those things will only make things worse. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I think the people who made the 'Submit Reply' button on Boards, 'Send' button on emails, and 'Tweet' button on Twitter are incredibly nasty the way they insert errors into the text that weren't there before.

That's the only possible explanation for the fact that I'll have misspellings, words missing, and phrases that make absolutely no sense, but I only see them a millisecond after I post, no matter how carefully I proof it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

When people say "there but for the grace of God" go I. When in fact it's there but for (insert any reason why you are not going there for example your own hard work, reasonable choices and common sense) they go. Actually just generally people giving God any credit for things when it is f*ck all to do with anyone other than your own hard work and common sense. Oh thanks be to God my backside.
    TA our cat is still missing. Not looking good for the shabby old boy. I feel like I should be looking but where?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Bredabe

When has saying to a depressed person "Cheer up, don't be so gloomy", or to a person who's furious about something "Calm down", or to a person who's really really worried about something "Don't worry", or "Trust me" to someone who has been let down innumerable times before by that very same person, EVER worked?

Unless you're given a valid cause, saying those things will only make things worse. :mad::mad::mad:

This by millions of %, when I work with the psychs at my job I hear these comments regularly(usually to cover that they are clueless).

I told one that imho these types of comments contribute to suicides, as they undermine the persons right to their emotions and it can be a slippery slope from there.

Ta, that ppl who should know better still think its ok to say this type of thing.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

You said it Homes. I wish I had the gumption of LD to tell those people where to get off...

When you use ' or - in a PM it replaces them with a load of random symbols. You have to go back through the message and change all the 's and -s back again :mad:

You said it Homes. I wish I had the gumption of LD to tell those people where to get off...
    l_1FbjuJp4E

I remember one time I was walking with the sun glaring in my eyes, I was squinting and frowning (no sunglasses), some idiot walked by and said to me "Cheer up, it may never happen", so I looked at him dead in the eyes and said to him, "It already has." and I walked off. You don't know what's going on in someone else's life.

• Advertisement

I remember one time I was walking with the sun glaring in my eyes, I was squinting and frowning (no sunglasses), some idiot walked by and said to me "Cheer up, it may never happen", so I looked at him dead in the eyes and said to him, "It already has." and I walked off. You don't know what's going on in someone else's life.

Yeah it is very arrogant to walk up to somebody and basically say 'Hey you, I order you to feel x emotion, and wear y expression on your face, immediately' even more so if you don't even know them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement