Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferred State Exams 2020 [SEE MOD NOTE POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

This 100%. I said it on our zoom staff meeting last week that talking about things for next September was in my opinion a waste of time until we got some form of guidance or guidelines from the Dept. We all know it will probably be vague and will have to be teased out at local level.

Do all teachers have laptops or computers and internet access at home?

Presume all teachers would have access to these in school?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Still the same. You have yet to actually answer any question directly asked of you about how you are/have engaged your students during this crisis.

I personally know that in our school everyone is doing their bit for their students and can say the same of my close personal friends in other schools.

As regards your distain for your school and your colleagues, have you considered resigning and looking for a job in a school which would be a better fit for your own personality? Can't be nice to be so miserable in a school community that you obviously don't like. I know that I myself once refused a permanent job in a school as I knew I wouldn't be able to stick the management style of the principal.

Why does what I am doing have any bearing on anything? It’s just an excuse to discredit what I am saying because it goes against the narrative some teachers are trying to spin.

I am just telling my own experiences ... that is that a significant amount of teachers are doing very little.

I am unwilling to disclose any personal information on this or any other social media. I would ask everyone to please respect this and to stop continuously asking me the same question.

And btw, I do love my job (apart from a horrible few weeks at the start of the year) and have no intention of moving anywhere. But thanks for your thoughts and consideration :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Random sample

JJJackal wrote: »
    So you are working the same number of hours or more now than when you were physically in class?

More... Corrections can’t be done in class the way they are when the kids are in front of you, back and forth interactions take longer. When 6 kids make the same error, I will normally correct it on the board, not go through it with each individual separately. When they’re in front of you you can see what they’ve done wrong and how they got there, and it’s easier and quicker to fix. Meetings are also taking up more time. We would normally meet over lunch, but that doesn’t work for me online. I’m sure there are countless other things that take longer to do.

Bottom line, I’d rather be back in school, and the closer that can be to normal the better for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

How can I answer that? The dept just assumed that we all do. Actually they just assumed that all students had as well.

What have those questions got to do with my comment about planning for what happens in September?

More... Corrections can’t be done in class the way they are when the kids are in front of you, back and forth interactions take longer. When 6 kids make the same error, I will normally correct it on the board, not go through it with each individual separately. When they’re in front of you you can see what they’ve done wrong and how they got there, and it’s easier and quicker to fix. Meetings are also taking up more time. We would normally meet over lunch, but that doesn’t work for me online. I’m sure there are countless other things that take longer to do.

Bottom line, I’d rather be back in school, and the closer that can be to normal the better for me.

If you are working longer to educate Irelands children, I am very appreciative of your efforts. Thank you.

On a positive note it means, that your probably close to the 51 hours work already :)

• Advertisement

Why does what I am doing have any bearing on anything? It’s just an excuse to discredit what I am saying because it goes against the narrative some teachers are trying to spin.

I am just telling my own experiences ... that is that a significant amount of teachers are doing very little.

I am unwilling to disclose any personal information on this or any other social media. I would ask everyone to please respect this and to stop continuously asking me the same question.

And btw, I do love my job (apart from a horrible few weeks at the start of the year) and have no intention of moving anywhere. But thanks for your thoughts and consideration :)

Significant number of teachers ehh!!!! Based on the replies here that is stretching the truth don't you agree.

I keep asking that question about what it is that you are doing because I guess I'm wondering are you too doing nothing so as to fit in with what you say is going on in your school. Not rocking the boat so to speak.

How can I answer that? The dept just assumed that we all do. Actually they just assumed that all students had as well.

What have those questions got to do with my comment about planning for what happens in September?

I suspect that means Dept doesnt give you allowance for laptop?

Well if the Dept suggests delivering online education (or part of the week as such) and not everyone has a computer or internet access that would be a significant planning problem.

Nope.

Nor training on blended learning. Nor space to do this at home in an apartment. Nor instruction on GDPR implications from ETB/union. Nor anyone to mind the kids.

Apparently.

If you are working longer to educate Irelands children, I am very appreciative of your efforts. Thank you.

On a positive note it means, that your probably close to the 51 hours work already :)

I don’t see that as positive or sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

I agree this is a circular argument. For me this started with me proposing a potential way to get people back to normal pupil teaching contact hours.

I think you focus on students in descending order (Leaving Cert, Junior Cert, Fifth year, Second year, First year, Transition year) or whatever order was thought to be best by people in the know

This isn't aimed at you, but I think a lot of what people are interpreting as obstructionist thinking by teachers is actually defensiveness and fatigue at being offered a solution by someone else who doesn't understand the system and refises to accept our explanations for why it may not work or is flawed.

Take the LC fiasco for example. Before it was cancelled and replaced with predictive grades there were lots of teachers on here outlining the issues with predictive grades as well as worrying about the fact that students/paremts and media "personalities" were being listened to instead of education experts. Some of these same voices are now bemoaning the unfairness of the system they called for and criticising teachers.... who weren't even consulted throughout the process! Others who claimed it was unsafe for LC students to sit exams in July/August (ciara kelly newstalk) were on air less than a week latercalling for primary schools to reopen (with the subtext that the lazy teachers don't want to work) It is exhausting and frustrating to have to constantly defend a career that many of us love and are passionate about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Because it would just be interesting to know if you are the outlier in your staffroom of lazy ass teachers or if you are the same as them.

And saying that you use google classroom or microsoft teams and upload material is not disclosing personal information. Your response is weaseling around a very simple question.

Teachers are not trying to spin a narrative, they are explaining what they do each day.

People who come on forums and bullshit on about all the people in their workplace who do no work according to themselves, yet can't offer a simple description of what they do.... well I tend to put them in the mental filing cabinet where I store alternative facts...

I don’t see that as positive or sustainable.

Healthcare workers are working extra hours in this crisis. I would appreciate your suggestions btw. As opposed to telling me mine are not great. You work on the ground and likely have a better alternative?

Significant number of teachers ehh!!!! Based on the replies here that is stretching the truth don't you agree.

I keep asking that question about what it is that you are doing because I guess I'm wondering are you too doing nothing so as to fit in with what you say is going on in your school. Not rocking the boat so to speak.

I never said I was doing nothing.

And there have been a large amount of teachers here (on a different thread) that have said they too are doing very very little.

This isn't aimed at you, but I think a lot of what people are interpreting as obstructionist thinking by teachers is actually defensiveness and fatigue at being offered a solution by someone else who doesn't understand the system and refises to accept our explanations for why it may not work or is flawed.

Take the LC fiasco for example. Before it was cancelled and replaced with predictive grades there were lots of teachers on here outlining the issues with predictive grades as well as worrying about the fact that students/paremts and media "personalities" were being listened to instead of education experts. Some of these same voices are now bemoaning the unfairness of the system they called for and criticising teachers.... who weren't even consulted throughout the process! Others who claimed it was unsafe for LC students to sit exams in July/August (ciara kelly newstalk) were on air less than a week latercalling for primary schools to reopen (with the subtext that the lazy teachers don't want to work) It is exhausting and frustrating to have to constantly defend a career that many of us love and are passionate about.

I have asked for people to offer alternatives

Well if the Dept suggests delivering online education (or part of the week as such) and not everyone has a computer or internet access that would be a significant planning problem.

Well I will confirm that my current address does not have access to a fixed broadband connection. Have to use mobile data to conduct my teaching. Not ideal but hopefully it will be sorted in the near future and not still be an issue come September if we need to still be doing stuff online.

The lack of investment in education is coming home to roost now.

Healthcare workers are working extra hours in this crisis. I would appreciate your suggestions btw. As opposed to telling me mine are not great. You work on the ground and likely have a better alternative?

Any healthcare workers I know are working their normal hours. Annual leave is limited, but available to some that had already booked it. They must be lucky.

I have outlined how I think things could go ahead, with the caveat that I don’t know what the public health recommendations are going to be at the time.

What line of work are you in yourself? I’m trying to figure out your angle here, I don’t understand why you seem so invested in getting teachers to increase class contact time.

Because it would just be interesting to know if you are the outlier in your staffroom of lazy ass teachers or if you are the same as them.

And saying that you use google classroom or microsoft teams and upload material is not disclosing personal information. Your response is weaseling around a very simple question.

Teachers are not trying to spin a narrative, they are explaining what they do each day.

People who come on forums and bullshit on about all the people in their workplace who do no work according to themselves, yet can't offer a simple description of what they do.... well I tend to put them in the mental filing cabinet where I store alternative facts...

I honestly, honestly don’t care what you think about me. I really don’t.

I’m telling the truth and teachers on here know that. They have admitted it on the other thread!!!

Also, I’m curious and have a question for those saying my colleagues are lazy. My local primary schools - all classes and teachers - send one email per week to parents outlining the child’s work for the week. No way to get anything corrected ,no way to contact the teacher. Would you call all these teachers “lazy” too?

When GDPR legisation was enacted two years ago, we were basically told we couldn't even record the most basic information in our roll books. Even stuff like 'Johnny had no homework done today', could be sought by said student in the future as it was his data. Draconian stuff. But in there we were also told of the more reasonable stuff. Don't take photos of students using your phone - I'm talking about team photos at a football match etc. Don't have student information on your laptop.

Then on the 12th March schools were shut down and we were told go home and teach online. Use whatever is available to you, mobile phones, laptops, tablets. Most teachers are using their own personal devices because they have to. Department of Education is not going to fund laptops for us. They don't even stretch as far as pens. All that GDPR stuff was forgotten about fairly swiftly.

Well I will confirm that my current address does not have access to a fixed broadband connection. Have to use mobile data to conduct my teaching. Not ideal but hopefully it will be sorted in the near future and not still be an issue come September if we need to still be doing stuff online.

The lack of investment in education is coming home to roost now.

I think the lack of investment in many public services is obvious now - agree with education; although i dont see it prioritised immediately post covid - likely health

I never said I was doing nothing.

And there have been a large amount of teachers here (on a different thread) that have said they too are doing very very little.

Who? Because I've been on this forum for 13 years and check in on this thread everyday and most people who post on the thread are regulars, and have discussed all aspects of online teaching and the fallout of the LC at length. Don't recall any of them saying that they are treating this as a holiday.

• Advertisement

Any healthcare workers I know are working their normal hours. Annual leave is limited, but available to some that had already booked it. They must be lucky.

I have outlined how I think things could go ahead, with the caveat that I don’t know what the public health recommendations are going to be at the time.

What line of work are you in yourself? I’m trying to figure out your angle here, I don’t understand why you seem so invested in getting teachers to increase class contact time.

I work in pharmaceuticals (still have a job with full pay) and have no children- i am non biased really.

Healthcare workers i know had their annual leave cancelled and rostered changed at last minute. I suspect it depends on the quantity of COVID in your area (so we could both be correct)

Increase contact time was a suggestion to facilitate safer classes for children

Who? Because I've been on this forum for 13 years and check in on this thread everyday and most people who post on the thread are regulars, and have discussed all aspects of online teaching and the fallout of the LC at length. Don't recall any of them saying that they are treating this as a holiday.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058071593/1 (sorry, on mobile)

Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭lulublue22

So you are working the same number of hours or more now than when you were physically in class?

Primary school teacher - my workload has increased significantly . I’m not particularly techie so I’ve had to get myself up to speed fairly quickly- setting up online class, figuring out how to scan topics and upload via abode scan. Finding video / voice recordings apps so I can explain lessons properly. Figuring out how to convert files to pdf so that I can correct the work children send back via acrobat reader. Thats before I set the work making sure to cater for all levels without setting too much work or work that some children find too easy. Diffreniation is much easier in class as other parents are not aware of the often wide range of abilities within class.
    For some strange reason given my lack of ICT skills I have also become the resident ICT expert for a small cohort of parents. I’m in regular email contact with parents often up to 9pm at night about a wide range of issues - some not remotely related to teaching 😠I have 3 children that I ring on a regular basis to keep them motivated / ticking over. I’m online daily Mon to Fri engaging with the kids responding to their messages and correcting work. As a school we still have weekly staff meetings , work set has to be emailed to principal etc etc. I’m still working - different to physically being in class but still working.
    All the while trying to make sure my own children are accessing their online classes and getting work done. Pretty much like most parents who are wfh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

I have asked for people to offer alternatives

I know you have, again, not attacking you at all. My point is we can't really offer an alternative until we know the parameters of what will be expected of us. Will we have our full student cohort? Will current social distancing requirements be in place? Will we have staggered school timetables? Will we be following a face to face timetable or a blended leaning one or pure distanve learning? Will we be getting training and all dping the same thing instead of the current situation where we are largely making it up as we go along? Will students and teachers with poor access for whatever reason be given support of some sort? Will curriculum requirements be changed Etc
    If we knew the rough parameters then we could offer ways things could happen.

Going back in September to the same crowded classrooms and halls with poor facilities to teach the same packed curriculum will not be possible if current health and safety advice needs to be followed, therefore the Dept need to tell us what is expected so we can work on putting it in place

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

I must admit I'd like to see these posts too. I read the thread daily and I can't recall these posts being referred to either.

I work in pharmaceuticals (still have a job with full pay) and have no children- i am non biased really.

Healthcare workers i know had their annual leave cancelled and rostered changed at last minute. I suspect it depends on the quantity of COVID in your area (so we could both be correct)

Increase contact time was a suggestion to facilitate safer classes for children

So your only bias is that you don’t have a personal involvement in any of this and don't understand how your suggestion would impact on family life for teachers, parents or students. Gotcha.

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Primary school teacher - my workload has increased significantly . I’m not particularly techie so I’ve had to get myself up to speed fairly quickly- setting up online class, figuring out how to scan topics and upload via abode scan. Finding video / voice recordings apps so I can explain lessons properly. Figuring out how to convert files to pdf so that I can correct the work children send back via acrobat reader. Thats before I set the work making sure to cater for all levels without setting too much work or work that some children find too easy. Diffreniation is much easier in class as other parents are not aware of the often wide range of abilities within class.
    For some strange reason given my lack of ICT skills I have also become the resident ICT expert for a small cohort of parents. I’m in regular email contact with parents often up to 9pm at night about a wide range of issues - some not remotely related to teaching 😠I have 3 children that I ring on a regular basis to keep them motivated / ticking over. I’m online daily Mon to Fri engaging with the kids responding to their messages and correcting work. As a school we still have weekly staff meetings , work set has to be emailed to principal etc etc. I’m still working - different to physically being in class but still working.
    All the while trying to make sure my own children are accessing their online classes and getting work done. Pretty much like most parents who are wfh.

Can I ask your opinion of my local primary schools?

My local primary schools - all classes and teachers - send one email per week to parents outlining the child’s work for the week. No way to get anything corrected ,no way to contact the teacher.

I must admit I'd like to see these posts too. I read the thread daily and I can't recall these posts being referred to either.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058071593/1

Teachers saying they have no laptops, broadband etc etc etc. One even said he couldnt do the online thing because his brother kept walking into the room and his parents were asking him to get a newspaper.

So your only bias is that you don’t have a personal involvement in any of this and don't understand how your suggestion would impact on family life for teachers, parents or students. Gotcha.

Btw your explanation of bias seems to be more an explanation of impartial... - well i would suggest I am impartial - I have no skin in the game

I have a job where I work long hours (plus i teach juniors) so some appreciation of being a teacher and how long hours impact life.

I was a student so.... I appreciate as much as anyone else who was a student I guess.

I dont have a parents perspective - you are right - however talking to colleagues who are parents I have some limited insight

• Advertisement

Can I ask your opinion of my local primary schools?

My local primary schools - all classes and teachers - send one email per week to parents outlining the child’s work for the week. No way to get anything corrected ,no way to contact the teacher.

How do you know what all your local primary schools are doing? Why can’t they reply to emails?

There are so many online platforms available to primary schools, Im surprised that your local area has such a poor representation at all levels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement