Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toys from your youth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,407 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do you have all the Eagle, Action force, Battle, Victor and Warlord Comics?
    I have them all free to download.!!!

Cheers it was Battle and Action Force for me... and Roy of the Rovers.

I have the Operation Bloodhound series stashed away on file somewhere if I fancy a trip down memory lane.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Cheers it was Battle and Action Force for me... and Roy of the Rovers.

I have the Operation Bloodhound series stashed away on file somewhere if I fancy a trip down memory lane.

Would you head over to "BloodfortheBaron.com" to catch up on all your old comics? The forum is mostly dead but the comics are still workable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

ozmo wrote: »
    Yeah- always wanted one - bought the 1990s remake last year on Ebay but arrived with the guns broken- springs missing - if anyone can find a photo of what the steel spring looks like in the gun that pings out the ball bearings - a very close up photo please of that mechanism - and i can try make new springs for it, i’d appreciate it :)

yeah i recall 1 of the guns didn't last long, the power on it went very weak this was early to mid 80's version. Anyway, it's long gone, hope you get sorted though:cool:

I see a mention of starcom on the thread. Those toys were great. Very functional despite not having batteries. Functioned together really well. And were so robust that they are all still fully functional today and my own kids love them. If those toys are in the room nothing else gets a look in. They don't make them like that any more I think. Or at least I have failed to find any modern day equivalent to compare.

https://i.paste.pics/c226712d2defb3257296eef68d8b94e1.png
    https://pasteboard.co/J432Z1p.jpg
    https://i.paste.pics/8e635f495f5028061bddabfb0eba2531.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I wasn’t allowed play with toys but I loved the Commando comics when I was a kid.

wSdJWrk.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I got this when I was about 10, after what seemed like a year of pleading.

d921vertibirda.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭mulbot

Was my first attempt at being a pilot😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the best toy i ever had was the one that hanged between my legs, use to play with it for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Anyone remember the Scream comics back in the 80's? Absolutely loved those. Unfortunately didn't last long though. Only 15 issues.

49783825181_6ec59a7387_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Growing up in the 80s was brilliant, all the toys were great. So well built and genuinely great fun. For me. MASK was the pinnacle. I wish I kept my Snake Oil Tanker.

http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/mask/original-mask-series/

One Christmas I got pretty much every A-Team toy in the Argos catalogue. The highlight was the play mat, at the top of this picture.

b03ba238e3bacf4549e2f3c6f9fa414d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Super Cobra, a handheld game where your were in a helicopter shooting stuff, was probably my favourite game as a child. I saw one for sale on eBay recently for over €200!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hoop66 wrote: »
    I got this when I was about 10, after what seemed like a year of pleading.

d921vertibirda.jpg
    I really wanted one of those when I were a lad. It wasn't to be. :(:D Loved Lego, had Action Man too. Little plastic soldiers I remember for a time. My dad built me a big fort for them. Mixing genres but what the hell. :D Airfix kits were a biggie for a time, as were matchbox cars.

This is the very first toy I can clearly remember getting. I'd reckon I was about 5. Pressed to the window of a local toyshop pointing at it and my mum bringing me in and buying it for me. I was all excira and delira. :D A bit battered and "loved" but still have it all these years later.

509918.jpg

Odd that a truck with a crane would interest me over a race car or whatever. I do remember being on holiday in Spain when I was 10 and being surprised at how so many of their toys(which were really well made) were things like diggers and farm machinery.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

fryup wrote: »
    the best toy i ever had was the one that hanged between my legs, use to play with it for hours

What happened to it?

Adored Lego, still do.

Wibbs wrote: »

Odd that a truck with a crane would interest me over a race car or whatever. I do remember being on holiday in Spain when I was 10 and being surprised at how so many of their toys(which were really well made) were things like diggers and farm machinery.
    Maybe you were just being practical.;) My nephew is mad into any sort of toy car. You could show him any sort of race car, normal car or whatever and he'll know. I've often bought different trucks, and even a combine harvester and bin lorry. Once it has wheels, he's happy. And even if they don't have wheels.

I think I was neglected as a child and only remember getting one Lego set, a small garage. I played with other's Lego though, so I won't be ringing Childline. :D (We were poor...)

One thing that annoys me is Americans talking about playing with 'Legos'. You just use the singular!!

Growing up in the 70s a lot of boys toys were war or cowboy related. I had a lot of that stuff and the only one I have left is a Lonestar Luger cap gun which still retains the smell of those caps that go bang!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Christamas
    "What do you want from Santa?"
    "Gun and holster"

We went to the cinema every Sunday from the age of 4, always two cowboy films.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

tn_400x300_936_4333_1359935108363_Grandstand_Munchman.jpg

Grandstand Munchman. Got it for Christmas 1986. Still have it and every so often buy some batteries to fire it up. Still works like the day I got it.

I've just realised that it is 34 Years old. Now I feel really old.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Growing up in the 70s a lot of boys toys were war or cowboy related. I had a lot of that stuff and the only one I have left is a Lonestar Luger cap gun which still retains the smell of those caps that go bang!
    It must be more nature than nurture sometimes, though. I remember Sandi Toksvig saying that she'd be walking down the street with her (female) partner and their three kids, two girls and one boy, who had been brought up exactly the same. The girls would follow politely, while the boy would be in the midst of a James Bond story or similar, hiding behind every lamp-post to find and shoot his invisible foe. (That sounds more fun, so fair play to him...)

Christamas
    "What do you want from Santa?"
    "Gun and holster"

We went to the cinema every Sunday from the age of 4, always two cowboy films.

So you remember Gunsmoke, Wanted dead or Alive, Iron Horse, the Cisco Kid and the Ponderosa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Always enjoyed Micro Machines.

dansdayone.jpg

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Always enjoyed Micro Machines.

dansdayone.jpg

That is beautiful

Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs, not sure if my young self ever totally figured out the rules, but hey you got to play with dinosaurs...

pic99298.jpg

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs, not sure if my young self ever totally figured out the rules, but hey you got to play with dinosaurs...

pic99298.jpg

What this scene really needs is Dinobots!

Mouse Trap... snakes and ladders writ large:

41066391785_60a5847cbd_o.jpg

Match of the Day... a football tie in board game. The matches played out like Top Trumps, but you acquired the cards via the board game component. 'Gold' player cards cost more than 'Silver'. I still remember the 'top' number is attack skill and bottom number is defence.

pic1682608.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One thing that annoys me is Americans talking about playing with 'Legos'. You just use the singular!!
    Indeed and yet "math" is singular to them. Grrr *shakes fist at cloud* :D
    Tom Dunne wrote: »

Grandstand Munchman. Got it for Christmas 1986. Still have it and every so often buy some batteries to fire it up. Still works like the day I got it.

I've just realised that it is 34 Years old. Now I feel really old.
    You are T. Oh christ I'm older than you. Feck! :mad::mad: :D

Chemistry sets were great. No way in hell would they be allowed today for kids with the ingredients they had back then. :eek: The last one I saw years ago had food dye and crap... :rolleyes: Not in the 70's oh no sirree bob. I mean sulphur, carbon and potassium permanganate makes a makeshift gunpowder in a pinch. Never mind that if you mix the latter with something with a decent amount of alcohol in it like aftershave(specifically my Da's Old Spice as it turned out) it spontaneously combusts. Plus it can turn the whole schools toilet water supply bright purple for a few hours. Allegedly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Simpler times - The Jaws Shark game. You took turns picking the various things out of his mouth without his mouth snapping shut.

433e920b6e6ec5deade6f7a4da51ed79.jpg

The real funny thing is this shark toy looked more realistic than the one in the movie.

Lego - the world of Robin Hood.

I loved the way you could sit the figures into the horse :)

8d63b0d160f0cfa92c5af4da40d24bb3.jpg

And then the more serious Sea King Rescue helicopter:

18535131533_06d4d9784b_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

So you remember Gunsmoke, Wanted dead or Alive, Iron Horse, the Cisco Kid and the Ponderosa?
    I was an experienced cowboy before TV came to Ireland.
    With our six guns we kept the country free of indians.

Advertisement