Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toys from your youth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Rawr wrote: »
    DXYTjiCX4AIe_qZ.jpg

One year I got Manta Force and was blown away by the sheer scale of it. Every single bit of it was a toy in it's own right. All made with really solid plastic.

I later got the "Red Venom" ship from this series which was just as fun (but had more springs in it and more parts that would wear down and fail.
    There was one final "Black Baracuda" ship I managed to get, which I remember being pretty lack luster and cheaply made. Nothing really compared to this first ship in terms of fun or value :)

I was going to post this. Favourite toy of my childhood. Loved it. Wish I still had it. Tempted to buy it online now.

We had black barracuda and red venom as well but they paled in comparison with the original ship.

Still brilliant in their own right, just not a patch on the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Rawr

I was going to post this. Favourite toy of my childhood. Loved it. Wish I still had it. Tempted to buy it online now.

Still in the attic at my parent's house. Rawr Jr is in for a surprise one of these years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Rawr wrote: »
    Still in the attic at my parent's house. Rawr Jr is in for a surprise one of these years :D

What a surprise! Lucky sod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

more interested in football myself, however i remember we got Crossfire one Xmas, some epic days followed then the board went a bit wonky :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Why weren't you allowed play with toys?
    There was always work to be doing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Any pics,I don't remember the wild cat. Im talking mid 80's and the Raleigh Vektar was the only computer bike I can remember.

https://babybaigues.wordpress.com/2010/05/10/wildcat/

Here's a link with a pic. Would have been early 90s when I had it.

It had a radar type thing on the front that would make all these laser noises. Thought it was the coolest thing ever. I remember a pretty badly crashing it into a parked milk van when I was cycling and messing around with the buttons.

There was also one or two junior versions of the bike - the wild cub and the fox (edit) Street Wolf .

Wild Cub https://www.google.ie/search?q=raleigh+wild+cub+&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjFy6Gr0-foAhVtgM4BHZnyAxcQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=raleigh+wild+cub+&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIECCMQJ1CYIFiYIGCiI2gAcAB4AIABjwGIAY8BkgEDMC4xmAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWc&sclient=img&ei=t4iVXoWUOO2Aur4PmeWPuAE&bih=576&biw=1366&rlz=1C2GCEU_enIE826IE826#imgrc=2_zzMCXTell2RM

Street Wolf https://www.google.ie/search?q=street+wolf+bike&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwi9moXA0-foAhWKIhoKHcJADusQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=street+wolf+bike&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzICCAAyBggAEAUQHjoECAAQHjoGCAAQCBAeUMwFWJ8PYM4PaABwAHgAgAHNAYgBmASSAQUxLjIuMZgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1n&sclient=img&ei=44iVXv2cHorFaMKBudgO&bih=576&biw=1366&rlz=1C2GCEU_enIE826IE826#imgrc=MuQRgcsQZkmPPM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I made up those Prince August Napoleonic lead\tin soliders, was half terrified every time!

Then there's Subbuteo... and similar 'hardware' type games like Crossbows and Catapults:

img_3950.jpg?w=600&h=600

Crossbows and Catapults worked best if you added an extra strong rubberband :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    There was always work to be doing!

Chopping wood and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

i used love those soldiers you made in casts with molten hot lead, epic fun nowadays the health and safety officer would pass out.
    me dad gave us some lead from roof left over again not so safe lol anyway favourite toy and why..

I have this up in the attic. That’s my day planned!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

In the 70s as a kid I remember playing for hours on this, I loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

hqdefault.jpg

I just remembered this as well. God that kept us going for hours and hours at a time. Stalking around all the hedges/sheds, crawling across fields trying to be quiet, though I think it beeped when you were close or something.
    I'd actually love them again, they were fantastic. When else could you actively stalk & shoot your brother :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Action man and his eagle eyes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqVpHrd1O6Q

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

more interested in football myself, however i remember we got Crossfire one Xmas, some epic days followed then the board went a bit wonky :D

Yeah- always wanted one - bought the 1990s remake last year on Ebay but arrived with the guns broken- springs missing - if anyone can find a photo of what the steel spring looks like in the gun that pings out the ball bearings - a very close up photo please of that mechanism - and i can try make new springs for it, i’d appreciate it :)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

That is freakin' awesome. If I had of known you then I would have wanted to have been your best friend.

I also had a bad crash due to gadgets. Saved up for a speedometer for my bmx and going down a rather steep hill was looking at it to see what speed I was getting up to when I hit a pothole.
    Wrote off the speedometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I also had this RC car that squirted water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I remember posting about this toy on the Toy Story 4 thread: I thought the film was OK. Unnecessary but at least it didn't tarnish the real trilogy. The one think I did LOVE on it was Keanu Reeves' Canadian rip-off of Evel Knievel.

I'm old enough to want the bike. Didn't get it: We were f*ck broke at the time (Along with the rest of the country).

Always wanted it but my God, looking at it now: It's so cheaply-made. Look at it. It looks like it will break first time you would use it

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

If you haven't seen it already and want some nostalgia for some of the things mentioned on the thread, check out the show "The Toys that Made Us" on Netflix. Worth a watch for the stories behind some of the toy lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

..The one think I did LOVE on it was Keanu Reeves' Canadian rip-off of Evel Knievel.
    .. but my God, looking at it now: .. It looks like it will break first time you would use it

The film was so accurate about this - the advert made it seem totally amazing -
    When you played with it - the orange winder worked well and the sound of it building up speed was a great weirrrr - sounded dangerous even - but when it launched the bike was so unstable it went all over the place and crashed - just like the film.
    Was robust enough though - the handle bars broke off in the first crash or two and were replaced with much better coat hanger wire - but other than that, solid toy, and i still have it today.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I got the following from a relation as a birthday present around 82 or 83. Weird thing like a Caterpillar. Pump it up open a valve and off it went. Probably the most unusual thing I ever owned.
    https://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/1981/stretch_legged_stoomdorm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A few that have already been mentioned would have been my childhood staples: Action Man (Palitoy went bust almost as soon as I got into it so I spent days hunting for accessories and vehicles in older toy shops / post offices for stock that had been on the shelves for decades), LEGO (never grew out of it) and the Commodore 64 (which was really my Dad's toy if I'm honest!) etc.

One I haven't seen, and that I'm not sure you'd see much of nowadays was Chemistry Sets complete with little parafin burners and magnesium strips for burning :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Sleepy wrote: »

One I haven't seen, and that I'm not sure you'd see much of nowadays was Chemistry Sets complete with little parafin burners and magnesium strips for burning :o

In all fairness, a HUGE amount of our stuff was lethal. Remember the Prince August figures? (Was that what they were called?). The little mould that you used to pour molten f*cking lead into!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

boulder hill from mask I was so excited getting it not so much once I got it home

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In all fairness, a HUGE amount of our stuff was lethal. Remember the Prince August figures? (Was that what they were called?). The little mould that you used to pour molten f*cking lead into!!!!!!

That was the opening post mon ami :)
    Yep I remember them as Prince August.

Molten lead is always risky, but as long as you bought the (expensive) quality lead from the stores and followed the instructions you'd be OK.
    The problem was when people used lesser quality lead especially household stuff...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

‘Fussball’. i can still beat anyone! Hidden talent!

Pinball.

The game of life with the radical spinny thing in the middle instead of a dice.

Operation - where you had a naked man and would try and remove his bits and be electeocuted if you failed.

Darts. Stand behind the line or its not my fault if someone loses an eye.

Making copper bombs.

And the summer ‘season’ of marbles and ghoulies - big bag left over til the next year when you won or lost them all again from every kid on the street - played while lying in the road alongside the kerbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Had this as a kid which really dates me. Bought it with my confirmation haul:

product-110962.jpg

A friend of my family had one. I got to play with it once and loved it. Any time I went back to the house I’d have a look for it but could never find it. Over the years I kind of forgot about it but always had the vague memory of this yellow game and wasnt sure if it was a real memory. Seeing the above picture gave me a huge flashback. So, I’m just off eBay now where I purchased one :)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

You couldn't go wrong with a bit of Mala;)

I can still remember the smell like it was yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

scudzilla wrote: »
    And here they are..

Would you look at that Imperial Troop Transport, They were reviving that for Star Wars rebels cartoon series a few years back. Nice collection by the way.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Was it Action Force - which few years later linked up with GI Joe?
    The figures were same size as Star Wars figures.

Do you have all the Eagle, Action force, Battle, Victor and Warlord Comics?
    I have them all free to download.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

modulok01_full.jpg

Came across these for sale in the very early 1990s and thought they were the knees bees:

ebc72cfe-5949-11e6-8dc5-3c666f048af9.jpg

prince-of-persia.png

Atari ST, no second prize:
    No-Second-Prize-Scenery.gif

CRWcccxVAAAzgSe.png

MR2 with solid silver wheels:

Matchbox-Toyota-MR2-MKI-Met-Blue-Body-Laser.jpg

• Advertisement

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    modulok01_full.jpg

Came across these for sale in the very early 1990s and thought they were the knees bees:

ebc72cfe-5949-11e6-8dc5-3c666f048af9.jpg]

That fella is Modulock as I remember him from the 1980's. I knew them all once upon a time but I was too poor to own one from the ToyMaster catalogue.

Advertisement